Isn't Winston's cycling cousin so boring and bland? lol

For Asian Americans to discuss Asian American issues and topics.
Winston
Site Admin

Isn't Winston's cycling cousin so boring and bland? lol

Post by Winston »

Hey check this out.

I found out that my cousin Jimmy Huang, or James Huang officially, is an editor/writer for some cycling magazines and websites.

His profile on Cycling News:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/about
James Huang
Technical editor
The guru for all things equipment-related, James rides on and off-road in the process of writing the best gear tests in the business.
(I wonder why he uses a photo of him making a kissing gesture for his profile avatar?)

His articles on these two sites:

http://search.cyclingnews.com/?q=james+huang

http://www.bikeradar.com/search/?search ... ng&x=0&y=0

Geez, aren't his articles so intellectual, meaningful and enlightening? LOL (sarcastic)

Who reads this stuff? The content on those sites are the most mundane I've ever seen. How could those sites be ranked so high and have so much traffic? Yet deep sites like mine and others get less hits? WTF? That's weird.

Even if I were into cycling, I would just go out and cycle. Who needs to read some mundane articles about it on a website? I don't get that.

Note to those of you who say that the reason I'm different than other Asians is because I grew up in America:

Well Jimmy was BORN in America. Now look at his articles above. How is he different than any average American or Asian conformist? It seems he can't talk about anything other than mundane things. Try emailing him at the email in his profile to start a meaningful intelligent down to earth conversation. See how far you get.

Like a typical mainstream conformist, he doesn't like to think or talk to people outside his clique, unless it's business related. He doesn't even write me back unless there is an emergency, such as the time when his mom was missing in Taiwan for 24 hours - only then does he write me back.

So you see, just because an Asian guy is born in America, doesn't mean he is going to be like me or different than other Asians. I don't see where you guys get that idea.

Here is one of Jimmy's articles:

http://www.bikeradar.com/blog/article/w ... ked-28249/
Well, that sucked
5 comments
By James Huang, tech editor, in Boulder, CO | Tuesday, Oct 26, 2010 11.00am

Previous: « Sore bottom bones, cow crap and hotels from hell!
Next: Can Essex provide a truly world-class venue?

The practical realities of my job mean that while many of my cycling comrades are fully engrossed in racing (or even just riding) their road and mountain bikes, I'm usually in some far-off land watching other people pedaling away instead of doing it myself.

But while that may condemn me to perennially mediocre fitness during the height of the season, it also means that I spend roughly seven months of the year doing nothing but building base miles with one competitive saving grace in mind come fall: cyclo-cross.

This season had started off pretty well. After spending last year stuck in mid-pack I'd finally started to figure things out, landing fairly consistent top-fives and even coming oh-so-close to that top step of the podium on two occasions (granted, this had all been in one of the most accessible categories, but here in Colorado, that's still no joke). I'd even managed to move up a category and scored a nice top-20 without the aid of a call-up. Things were looking good.

Sunday was a turning point, though, and not in a good way. I had a crap start (normally my strong suit) and got stuck behind a big group, leaving me way off the lead riders after just half a lap. Then the sand pit came up (another strong suit) and I happily blew through, making up two spots in the process – er, almost.

Unfortunately, I'd foolishly chosen a line that someone else already occupied and wasn’t able to avoid him when he came to a sudden stop before re-emerging on to the grass. Wham! I hit him, and hit him hard. I got up and quickly remounted to give chase but something wasn't right. My hand really hurt and I couldn't grip the bars. Not good.

Less than 24 hours later I'd gotten my diagnosis – a fractured base of the fourth metacarpal – plus a temporary splint that has rendered my once dominant hand into a fairly useless (and swollen) club.

Turns out it's pretty nice to have two fully functional hands as everyday tasks have now become annoyingly arduous. Like zippers. And driving. And trying to cut your food at dinner. Or hell, even wiping your butt (though thankfully, I've managed to adapt to that last part just fine). Needless to say, this has also put a damper on my usual 80wpm typing speed so I'll have to put off writing my manifesto a little while longer.

And as for cycling? For the moment I can't even rest my broken hand on a handlebar so even throwing a leg over my townie isn't an option. For now it seems my primary options are sitting awkwardly on a stationary trainer or running, both of which I loathe intensely.

Nevertheless, once I get my long-term cast on Friday I'll begrudgingly set things up in the living room (I do have trainers to review after all) and I've already started looking into trail running shoes. But they'll have to be BOA-equipped or something similar since – oh, right, forgot to mention – I can't tie my own shoelaces, either.

Yep, this sucks. But on the upside, I've now joined the legions of countless other cyclists whose seasons have been unexpectedly cut short. Time to look into other options. Stay tuned.
Geez. Aren't his articles so exciting and meaningful? LOL And deep and out of the box too? LOL Doesn't it make you want to read more? LOL

But alas, this is how "normal mainstream" people are. Isn't that sad, especially if you are not one of them?

Why didn't I turn out like that too?
Last edited by Winston on March 17th, 2014, 12:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Winston
Site Admin

Winston's Mixed Cousins - Tina and Lisa

Post by Winston »

Likewise, my other Americanized cousins - Tina and Lisa (who are half-white), their dad George Lawson (a white American redneck from New Jersey with a nasty temper, whom I called Uncle George as a child when I visited them in Hollister, CA, a rural area where the sky was clear at night with many stars) and their late mother, my Aunt Lucy, were all very dysfunctional and unfriendly - like "hostile creatures of instinct" with snarls and rotten faces.

You could not sit down and have a down to earth intelligent conversation with them. No way. Their dad (who met my aunt in Taiwan when he was in the Navy stationed there to protect Taiwan from China) had the WORST temper I've ever seen. Being around him was like walking on egg shells. He could explode at any minute for any reason. Living with him must have been like hell. I don't know how they tolerated it, or my Aunt either for that matter.

One time, when I was 9 or 10, Uncle George twisted my arm behind my back like a prisoner to subdue, just because I was playing with some electric switches at a restaurant we were planning to buy, and walked me to report me to my parents.

(Gee that was harsh, but I guess you could get away with that back in the 80's. I even had a chess teacher during the 80's in 6th grade hit me in the stomach with a stick out in the parking lot just because my chess set wasn't set up when he arrived. I swear that happened. I'm not making it up. Imagine doing that today!)

Another time, when I stayed with them during Summer, I whined that I couldn't find my clothes in the laundry case. Then all of a sudden, he threw a pillow at me and blew his fuse, yelling, "God damn it Winston! Can't you do anything? Just take out the damn clothes until you find yours!" It was very scary, and totally uncalled for.

Like I said in another thread, there are two general types of Americans - rude assholes, and brainless zombies. Or a combination of the two. Doesn't that suck? If so, why are most people in one of those categories?

Moreover, I can't find any of my cousins on Facebook even. So they are not even "social" in the cyber sense. So what does being Americanized have to do with anything? What does that have to do with me being different than others? I don't understand the logic of those of you who say that growing up in America is what made me different from other Asians. Care to explain?

In fact, this Uncle George is so "patriotic" that he reportedly said that "Anyone who doesn't like football is not a true American" (from what I heard). Gee, isn't that so spiritual and intellectual? LOL Doesn't that sound like someone you want to meet? Doesn't this Lawson family sound like a great family to know? LOL Don't they sound like spiritual enlightened people? LOL

Also, my Aunt Lucy got into an argument with my mom (and her other sisters) back in the 80's, and have never spoken a word to each other since. No attempt at reconciliation was ever made. Gee, doesn't this Aunt sound so wise and spiritual? LOL

I sometimes ask my parents sarcastically, "Aren't Aunt Lucy and Uncle George so wise, intellectual and spiritual?" to the point where they get tired of hearing it. LOL

Does anyone know a family like this? Are rednecks with bad tempers common in New Jersey? I've never seen a white guy in California with that bad of a temper before.
Last edited by Winston on March 17th, 2014, 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

People from the Northeast are generally unfriendly and rude--that's just how it is in these parts of the woods. Maybe it's because of how congested and populated the Northeast is that causes people to act that way? I don't know. I hate the Northeast in general and think it's even worse than the South or the West Coast in terms of socialization and friendliness. There's also tons of racism and racial tension in many parts of the Northeast, for example, Boston, Baltimore, New Jersey, and even New York has its issues.

As for your aunt and cousin, why is that most of the white man that I see with Asian women are some of the biggest a-holes on the planet? I've even met some really hard-core racists married to Asian women that would say some of the most terrible things you can imagine, yet, they see no issues with having an Asian wife? This is true even in white supremacist forums like Stormfront and AmericanRenaissance? Crazy...
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Yeah, well Dianne's psycho bitch aunt is also married to a nasty white guy with an a-hole temper who is anything but civil or rational. I think like attracts like, so the Asian women with the most greedy, narrow, mean-spirited personalities tend to marry such white guys.

But most white guys in E. Asia though, are very mellow and low-key, like Rock, who seem to act more Asian than white. They are like an egg - white on the outside, yellow on the inside. lol. This is an inverse of a banana - an Asian who is yellow on the outside and white on the inside.

There are also soft-spoken white guys that are not masculine enough for white women, so they seek Asian women that are super feminine who will see them as masculine enough for them.
Last edited by Winston on March 17th, 2014, 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Aren't Winston's Cousin's Articles So Intellectual? LOL

Post by momopi »

Winston wrote: Even if I were into cycling, I would just go out and cycle. Who needs to read some mundane articles about it on a website? I don't get that.
Same reason why Trekkies write articles are Star Trek, and hobby fishermen write articles about fishing -- a day on the river and the big one that got away. This style of writing is sometimes defined as tranche de vie, or "slice of life".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slice_of_life
"The literary term refers to a storytelling technique that presents a seemingly arbitrary sample of a character's life, which often lacks a coherent plot, conflict, or ending.[6] The story may have little plot progress and little character development, and often has no exposition, conflict, or dénouement, with an open ending."

To cite better examples of this style of storytelling, see Hitoshi Ashinano's Yokohama Kaidashi Kikō and its mono no aware (beauty as an awareness of the transience of all things, and a gentle sadness at their passing). The concept is too complicated to explain in short, but you can read this article if you have the time:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Mono-No-Aware ... &id=435418

In comparison, Kozue Amano's Aria (Aqua) is also "slice of life", but more iyashikei with scenery and story that produces a soothing or healing effect upon the audience. My opinion is that Aria is more "iyashikei" than Yokohama Kaidashi Kikō (YKK), while YKK is more "mono no aware" and nostalgia. But the author of this article disagree:

http://chrome.dasaku.net/?p=501
ALIBABA
Freshman Poster

Post by ALIBABA »

winston, how do you figure you are unique or a free thinker, especially when you use lines like "Navy stationed there to protect Taiwan from China". that sounds like something straight out of the cia cook book. what are you going to tell me next? that the u.s military is in Iraq to protect Iraqis? come on. the u.s navy was in taiwan to divide China, not protect it. the taiwanese regime serves one purpose, to destabilise China. the u.s military is in every country to either divide, or steal resources. until you realise that, i dont think you can claim to be original or free thinking. you also use a very similar technique to other counter intelligence. controlled opposition, noam chomsky's response to 9/11 inside job was "it's impossible to pull it off. too many people would have been involved". the establishment issues similar statements through their contract trolls on the moon landing hoax. now you use the same technique to counter the internet being controlled. "it's impossible to monitor millions of websites". you may have some differences in opinion on trivial issues like dating, but on fundamental issues, you are more of a follower than a leader. you complain about symptoms of the system that you are sick of, but you never actually tackle the source of the problem- capitalism. whether you are afraid to do this, i do not know. one more thing winston. you can never be free, or original as long as you go by your slave name, winston. what makes you any different from jimmy if both you and he uses western sounding names? going by western names tells me one thing. you are ashamed of being Chinese, and want to be white.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Being from Taiwan, I appreciate the fact that the US Navy 7th fleet, Pacific, keeps China at bay from conquering Taiwan.
ALIBABA
Freshman Poster

Post by ALIBABA »

Mao should have liberated taiwan back in the 1950s. i dont appreciate the fact that taiwan is a u.s pupet regime
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Hey check out my cousin Susan's website. She is pretty Americanized now, and acts very arrogant, spoiled and toxic with an impatient attitude. But when she was little, she was quiet and humble. lol She told me she was a web designer for law firm clients, but her website only talks about being a fashion/jewelry designer.

http://www.liveglamorouslyordie.com

Her About Me page:

http://www.liveglamorouslyordie.com/?page_id=15
DESIGN PHILOSOPHY

Combine rock and roll, bold vintage inspired elegance and a touch of whimsy and you have Live Glamorously or Die: a line of style of fresh and innovative jewelry. The line features bold color and big statement pieces scaled to a size that can’t be missed. Live Glamorously or Die takes an exuberant approach towards fashion with pieces that don’t just add to an outfit, but make an outfit.

THE DESIGNER

Designer Susan Lai began sellng handmade jewelry in her childhood growing up in Whittier, CA. After a brief detour spent at Williams College, where she received a Bachelor of Arts in American Studies, Susan returned to her true calling as a designer. In 2002 she formed Aimee-Lai jewelry with a partner. They found quick success with features in Teen Vogue, Nylon, Paper, and British Esquire, celebrity clients such as Paris Hilton and Ashlee Simpson, and pieces in music videos by Hilary Duff and other muscians. In 2005, Susan ventured out on her own to form Live Glamorously or Die.
Wow, sounds very fashion oriented. I heard that she also does not like to conform to a regular 9 to 5 work schedule. But I don't know how she makes a living.
Last edited by Winston on March 17th, 2014, 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Tell her to go to the Sawdust festival in Laguna Beach and meet the folks who sell home made jewelry there. If she doesn't live in the city, she may not be eligible to rent a booth, but it may be possible to make consignment agreements under the table.

http://www.sawdustartfestival.org/
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

Great for you Winston! My cousins in Taiwan are all non-intellectual slackers. :D
Intolerant
Freshman Poster

Post by Intolerant »

I grew up in the Northeast and it's a nightmare, high costs of living, and almost everyone you meet is an asshole. I moved down to the South to have peace of mind. But being Asian isn't as tough as it sounds on the Gulf Coast, I see Koreans, Filipinos and Vietnamese, and even the Chinese from Fuzhou and Wenzhou who work their daily lives as restaurant owners.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Get this. My aunt in Las Vegas, who is Jimmy Huang's mother, told me that Jimmy gets to travel to different companies for his job. I don't get it. Why would a cycling magazine or website pay someone to travel to different countries just to write articles? Also, how can he make a living writing such mundane articles like that? I mean who would pay a full time salary for such mundane article like that? Is that plausible?

Jimmy just got married too, to an athletic Asian American girl with tanned skin. She wants to work and is overwhelmed by taking care of their new baby and can't handle it. So they've called my aunt to go and help out. What can't a mother in the US handle taking care of a baby, like women have for thousands of years? lol

Btw, I Googled Jimmy's older brother's name -- a lawyer in Vegas who never talks to his mom or helps her out (that's what you get for raising a kid in the US) -- and look what I found. It's quite disturbing. You get a bunch of lawyer review sites and most of his reviews are extremely negative. Check them out. I posted the results here:

viewtopic.php?t=22421

The complaints about him say that he doesn't return calls, that he takes your money and ignores you, that he has no communication skills, terrible people skills, etc. Gee, and I thought I was the black sheep in the family. lol

Momopi, see I told you that some of my cousins are unfriendly and unsocial and have no communication skills. Read the reviews above. Now perhaps you'll believe me and stop playing devil's advocate, like you did when you said "well maybe you are boring to them" etc. which was totally unfounded and untrue. I am not boring at all. Everyone here knows that. They are. Just because someone is unsocial and unfriendly, and a dud, doesn't mean I'm boring to them. Come on now. You are a worldly person and you know how people are.

Also, I heard that he's a deadbeat son too, who treats his mom the same way he treats his clients. His mom lives in the same city and he never talks to her or sees her. He won't even give her a ride to the airport. What kind of a son is that? This is unusual since Taiwanese families tend to be very close knit. I don't know why. Maybe lawyers are just assholes and sociopaths who don't care about their own family? This cousin is an example of why you should not raise your kids in the US, lest they grow up and become assholes and not care about you or others.

With such bad reviews, I wonder how he gets business from new clients. People nowadays will Google someone before hiring them.
Last edited by Winston on March 17th, 2014, 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Winston wrote: Momopi, see I told you that some of my cousins are unfriendly and unsocial and have no communication skills. Read the reviews above. Now perhaps you'll believe me and stop playing devil's advocate, like you did when you said "well maybe you are boring to them" etc. which was totally unfounded and untrue. I am not boring at all. Everyone here knows that. They are. Just because someone is unsocial and unfriendly, and a dud, doesn't mean I'm boring to them. Come on now. You are a worldly person and you know how people are.
When did I say "maybe you are boring to them"? Or, when was the last time you or anyone seen/hear me use the word "boring", other than to cite someone else's words?

As for your lawyer cousin, he lives in Las Vegas. If you have an issue with his conduct with his mother, you take it up with him directly to his face. He is your family and this is not anyone else's business.

Personally, I do not care if your cousins are friendly or unfriendly. I am however, concerned that you might possibly spend the next 3-4 years of your life living in Vegas, while ranting about how much you absolutely hate the place. If you want to be a cloud, don't live as grass.
Winston wrote:Get this. My aunt in Las Vegas, who is Jimmy Huang's mother, told me that Jimmy gets to travel to different companies for his job. I don't get it. Why would a cycling magazine or website pay someone to travel to different countries just to write articles? Also, how can he make a living writing such mundane articles like that? I mean who would pay a full time salary for such mundane article like that? Is that plausible?
Why are you asking unrelated people, when you can get the facts from your cousin directly?
Last edited by momopi on March 17th, 2014, 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

momopi wrote:
Winston wrote: Momopi, see I told you that some of my cousins are unfriendly and unsocial and have no communication skills. Read the reviews above. Now perhaps you'll believe me and stop playing devil's advocate, like you did when you said "well maybe you are boring to them" etc. which was totally unfounded and untrue. I am not boring at all. Everyone here knows that. They are. Just because someone is unsocial and unfriendly, and a dud, doesn't mean I'm boring to them. Come on now. You are a worldly person and you know how people are.
When did I say "maybe you are boring to them"? Or, when was the last time you or anyone seen/hear me use the word "boring", other than to cite someone else's words?
You don't remember? You are almost like a human computer Momopi. Remember that thread where you said that if I was a Taiwanese pop star, my cousins would be parading me in front of their friends. It was in that same thread. Remember? I can dig it out for you. If I do, will you retract it, apologize or at least say "I stand corrected"? I don't understand why most guys cannot say those words. lol
As for your lawyer cousin, he lives in Las Vegas. If you have an issue with his conduct with his mother, you take it up with him directly to his face. He is your family and this is not anyone else's business.
Momopi, come on, be logical and realistic. Are you only good with facts and data, but not with logical reasoning? If he doesn't talk to his mother, and doesn't even return calls from paying clients, as the reviews said, why would he return my calls or emails? Get real. Come on now. Use basic logic here. You are a logical man. You should be able to figure that out yourself. There's no way to contact him. He doesn't give a shit and is a deadbeat and anti-social as well.

I did email him about his mom getting scammed in an auto accident, saying that he ought to help her, but he never replied of course. He doesn't give a shit. Plus I told you before, my cousins don't reply to my emails. They are typical Americans and Taiwanese, antisocial and misanthropic. They hate strangers, including their own relatives, for no reason. They aren't like the cousins you see in movies that are warm and sociable and reminisce with you about your childhood memories.

Why do you assume that everyone is as nice, reasonable and willing to talk like you are? Have you no real life experience with deadbeats?
Personally, I do not care if your cousins are friendly or unfriendly. I am however, concerned that you might possibly spend the next 3-4 years of your life living in Vegas, while ranting about how much you absolutely hate the place.
Well I am trying to get out of here now. I was supposed to leave back in September. Nothing ever goes according to plan. I'm sure that's true of your life too. Not just mine.

Anyway, it was wrong and untrue and baseless for you to say that perhaps it's my fault that my cousins are unfriendly. You were playing devil's advocate rather than embracing truth, which is not logical.
Winston wrote:Get this. My aunt in Las Vegas, who is Jimmy Huang's mother, told me that Jimmy gets to travel to different companies for his job. I don't get it. Why would a cycling magazine or website pay someone to travel to different countries just to write articles? Also, how can he make a living writing such mundane articles like that? I mean who would pay a full time salary for such mundane article like that? Is that plausible?
Are the cycling magazines based in US or EU?
I don't know. I thought you would tell me. You are the human encyclopedia here, not me. lol. One of the magazines he writes for is CyclingNews.com. I gave a few others in the OP, such as BikeRadar.com. I don't know how those things work. But writing doesn't pay that much unless you write for a big magazine like Time, Newsweek or National Geographic.