How do you afford to travel/what do you do for income?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Tezcatlipoca
Freshman Poster

How do you afford to travel/what do you do for income?

Post by Tezcatlipoca »

basically explain how you fund your overseas shenanigans

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Jonny Law
Experienced Poster

Post by Jonny Law »

I cannot believe I have to answer this stupid question.

The way you make money is by having a JOB! I realize you probably never heard of this. But even with a minimum wage job you should earn over $15,000 a year. Save one tenth of that and you can afford to travel most anywhere.

But you probably smoked too much pot to even understand anything. That is ok because in America being a dumbas* zombie retard should make you a good manager.

Or you can just go revert to stealing jewelry from your friends and family or selling whatever drugs you are taking instead of using them.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

Jonny Law wrote:The way you make money is by having a JOB! I realize you probably never heard of this. But even with a minimum wage job you should earn over $15,000 a year. Save one tenth of that and you can afford to travel most anywhere.
People can't survive on a minimum wage job and save money. It is mathematically impossible unless the person is a teenager, retiree, or married woman (with all three groups being subsidized by someone, with the retirees usually living in a nursing home paid for by tax dollars or having retirement funds like a 401K, pension, or social security retirement). A regular person can't survive on minimum wage and there is no way they could save anything on that. A single man trying to live on $15,000 would find it impossible. The numbers don't lie. Some jobs might give a slave pay but the person receiving that money doesn't actually make anything. Other people that can afford to save actually make anything. Many plane tickets now cost $1,500 or more to some international destinations. What about the hotel, the food, and traveling around? The truth is that most Americans are slaves and most jobs in America are slave jobs.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Here is how I went to Korea. I did a job for several months and saved the money. I applied for the job in Korea, but it was just then they imposed all sorts or red tape and delays. My job had ended and I had expected my Korean job to begin, but of course it didn't, so I ran around like a chicken with its head cut off doing casual work to get money in while trying to arrange things. I had to beg/borrow money from family members to make it happen. Just when I thought all hope was lost my visa was granted and I could buy my ticket, with my overdraft and credit card maxed out. I thought I would starve before my first paycheck came in, but an unexpected donation from someone (I think I know who) saved me. I was also going bare for medical insurance for the first month before the school's insurance covered me. I was taking a risk, but it worked out. After a couple of months I was able to pay back everything and then I was sitting pretty. With the money I saved in Korea I was able to travel China and live a good life for a few years.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Tsar wrote:
Jonny Law wrote:The way you make money is by having a JOB! I realize you probably never heard of this. But even with a minimum wage job you should earn over $15,000 a year. Save one tenth of that and you can afford to travel most anywhere.
People can't survive on a minimum wage job and save money. It is mathematically impossible unless the person is a teenager, retiree, or married woman (with all three groups being subsidized by someone, with the retirees usually living in a nursing home paid for by tax dollars or having retirement funds like a 401K, pension, or social security retirement). A regular person can't survive on minimum wage and there is no way they could save anything on that. A single man trying to live on $15,000 would find it impossible. The numbers don't lie. Some jobs might give a slave pay but the person receiving that money doesn't actually make anything. Other people that can afford to save actually make anything. Many plane tickets now cost $1,500 or more to some international destinations. What about the hotel, the food, and traveling around? The truth is that most Americans are slaves and most jobs in America are slave jobs.
Yes you can. Just live with your parents and save up all the money you make. This is easier for Asians because Asian families do not insist that children move out after 18. Also live simply and cut out all the expenses that you don't need. Stop overconsuming. Cut out the wasteful spending in your life. If you look, you can always find wasteful spending in your habits. There are many ways to live frugally. Do some research online about it.

Also, most people in the world live on less than a dollar a day. If they can do that, then surely you can live on $15,000 a year. Come on now.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

Winston wrote:Also, most people in the world live on less than a dollar a day. If they can do that, then surely you can live on $15,000 a year. Come on now.
Purchasing power parity, taxation, and costs of living varies between nations. I would be willing to live in a small shed as long as it had running water and a few electrical outlets and internet to save money. Many people in the world live in similar. The problem is that zoning laws prevent people from doing that. Instead of allowing people to afford to save money the elites and the government want to force people to spend all their money and be in debt. In many countries people don't have debt. Debt and high costs of living prevent that. In America people must move out of the home. It's frowned upon if you live at home and many parents don't want that.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

It's not really that expensive, as long as you fly coach, stay at reasonably priced hotels, and eat at inexpensive restaurants. The real problem is getting enough vacation time for a decent vacation. These two-week getaways just don't work if you're going abroad to meet your dream girl.
jtest28
Freshman Poster

Post by jtest28 »

Well, I make $40,000 a year and house and car is paid off, have minimum liability insurance on car and yet, I had to charge my trip on credit cards. But then again, if I added up what I spend at truck stops on junk, coffee, snacks, driving out the gas in my car for no reason, etc. It came out to $10 a day, thats at least $3,000 a year! So Winston has a point. When I stopped just those few bad spending habbits, I quickly saw money piling up.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

jtest28 wrote:Well, I make $40,000 a year and house and car is paid off, have minimum liability insurance on car and yet, I had to charge my trip on credit cards. But then again, if I added up what I spend at truck stops on junk, coffee, snacks, driving out the gas in my car for no reason, etc. It came out to $10 a day, thats at least $3,000 a year! So Winston has a point. When I stopped just those few bad spending habbits, I quickly saw money piling up.
Most people in my generation would be lucky if they earn $40,000 per year. $40,000 could do a lot in a lower tax state with lower costs of living. The majority of jobs for my generation pay minimum wage or slightly above minimum wage.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

Tsar wrote: Most people in my generation would be lucky if they earn $40,000 per year. $40,000 could do a lot in a lower tax state with lower costs of living. The majority of jobs for my generation pay minimum wage or slightly above minimum wage.
What's your generation?
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

Hero wrote:
Tsar wrote: Most people in my generation would be lucky if they earn $40,000 per year. $40,000 could do a lot in a lower tax state with lower costs of living. The majority of jobs for my generation pay minimum wage or slightly above minimum wage.
What's your generation?
1990s
Luc Furr
Freshman Poster

Re: How do you afford to travel/what do you do for income?

Post by Luc Furr »

you could just lie, cheat and steal like almost everybody else.

[quote="Tezcatlipoca"]basically explain how you fund your overseas shenanigans[/quote]
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

http://bleedingheartlibertarians.com/20 ... the-state/

The government keeps people poor and prevents socioeconomic mobility.
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Post by newlifeinphilippines »

jtest28 wrote:Well, I make $40,000 a year and house and car is paid off, have minimum liability insurance on car and yet, I had to charge my trip on credit cards. But then again, if I added up what I spend at truck stops on junk, coffee, snacks, driving out the gas in my car for no reason, etc. It came out to $10 a day, thats at least $3,000 a year! So Winston has a point. When I stopped just those few bad spending habbits, I quickly saw money piling up.
where was all the money going to then ?
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

This thread comes up a lot.

I spent a year in Asia last year. I largely broke even from doing some IT work via oDesk, investment income, income from my websites, and a little bit of luck.

Money making schemes other expats I met were doing but I didn't try were teaching English, exporting stuff from China or getting a job.

I did apply for a job in Bangkok, but the guy only wanted to pay a local salary and at that point I didn't even know if I wanted to stay there.

Also I got offered one in the Phillies, but the contract sucked.

Another option is to get a good CAREER, then stockpile cash. Here in the UK I'm on a good (but not sensational) income and thanks to frugal living I can save half my monthly salary.

My intention from now on is to work until a job comes to a natural conclusion, then go travelling until I get bored with that.

Frugal living is also important, wherever you live. In Asia I didn't spend much on "stuff" - my main expenses were accommodation, food and beer Chang.

At home I now live in a shared house (all bills included) so I'll soon be ready for my next trip abroad, wherever that might be.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.