Do people come across as "cold" to you?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
miss_conduct
Freshman Poster

Do people come across as "cold" to you?

Post by miss_conduct »

I never saw anything like the coldness of people in this country. I feel like I am always getting the "I gotta run" "I don't have the time for this" "Sucks to be you" "Nice talking toyou,bye!" vibes from people. I never saw anything like it. It is so weird.

If emotional temperature could be measured down here, I think it would read in the Arctic range!

I was at a Kroger the other day. I ran into someone I knew. I re-introduced myself and started trying to catch up. She seemed to scurry away as if I was boring the heck out of her. This is more common than not for me. Are people in America so always in a hurry? Or is ittheir way of giving others the brush-off?

I saw the movie once: "My Big Fat Greek Wedding". I LOVED all the vibrant, expansive, joyous people in Toula's big family. They just seemed to love life and happy to be alive! Her fiancé was a WASP and his parents were much more aloof and conservative.

I have a diagnosis of Asperger's syndrome and it's funny, because its a disorder associated with aloofness and being socially a cold fish. But I am not that way at all. I am an open book much of the time.

Why re people in this country just so COLD and aloof? Anyone who claims making new friends isn't hard has never been here in modern times.
Be good, or be good at it.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

I also experienced a lot of coldness and I experience a lot of it. Americans can be very cold especially because they have their own group of friends and don't want anymore. I always tried to get some friends in college but they already had their own and never thought of inviting me to become a friend. Many times people in America also have their own activities and might not want to be bothered with anyone else. Time is one of the things that is important in America because America has some of the longest workdays, longest workweeks, and lowest vacation time and shortest lunch breaks out the industrialized nations.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Don't you hate when Americans are cold on the inside, and give off cold vibes and energy, but outside put out that fake plastic polite smile? I hate that. It's so fake and hypocritical and it's a major discrepancy between their interior and exterior.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

Winston wrote:Don't you hate when Americans are cold on the inside, and give off cold vibes and energy, but outside put out that fake plastic polite smile? I hate that. It's so fake and hypocritical and it's a major discrepancy between their interior and exterior.
I also hate that. Many will also try and pretend to be "your friend" or to care about you, when in reality they don't care. They are cold and uncaring but only put on the act because that is the proper etiquette at a job, out in public, or whatever. It's a place of illusions, insincere people, liars, betrayers, and coldness. It's not like other countries where they are happy to meet a stranger or genuinely interested in others. Or in some countries where people genuinely care about others and it's about being part of a community and a team. It's all about competition, being better than the other, and winning at someone else's expense.
miss_conduct
Freshman Poster

Post by miss_conduct »

I am thankful that I am not alone in feeling this way. Winston, when I first stumbled across your website, I thought I had died and gone to heaven. It was like a feeling of "Somebody else gets it! I am NOT crazy!"

Prior to that discovery, though, I felt as though I was just going through the motions. Lonely, sad, feeling alone. Watching friends just come and go. When people get tired of you, they have no compunction about moving on and leaving you in the dust.

You do a great service to us all.
Be good, or be good at it.
dreamer82
Freshman Poster

Re: Do people come across as "cold" to you?

Post by dreamer82 »

Why re people in this country just so COLD and aloof? Anyone who claims making new friends isn't hard has never been here in modern times.[/quote]

It's epidemic! Nobody wants to come across as "nice" or they're labeled a wuss. It's like that Alice Cooper song "No More Mr. Nice Guy". Nice people get shot down.
abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Post by abcdavid01 »

miss_conduct wrote:I am thankful that I am not alone in feeling this way. Winston, when I first stumbled across your website, I thought I had died and gone to heaven. It was like a feeling of "Somebody else gets it! I am NOT crazy!"

Prior to that discovery, though, I felt as though I was just going through the motions. Lonely, sad, feeling alone. Watching friends just come and go. When people get tired of you, they have no compunction about moving on and leaving you in the dust.

You do a great service to us all.
Well geez, then why don't you post more?! Lol.