What age is too old to think about going abroad?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
Ogie
Freshman Poster

What age is too old to think about going abroad?

Post by Ogie »

I have no use for toxic American women, plus I'm very aware of the decay of American society and the encroaching police state and loss of freedom. I would consider a better life in a foreign country and I do favor Asian women. Is this a young man's venture? I'm quite intimidated by the vast amount of information and sections in this entire forum, seems like it would take a lifetime just to read through everything and try to formulate some kind of plan.
Last edited by Ogie on January 12th, 2016, 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Many men older than you have successfully made the move. Just remember that you need to be in basically good health to move, the older you are the more money you need, and the older you are the more you need a fall-back option.
punas
Freshman Poster

Post by punas »

I made my move to Philippines,3 years ago,when i was 73 years old.My filipina wife of 27 years has died of cancer.I knew if i stay in my small apartment in Wellington New Zealand,i will die within 6 months.It was the best decision i ever made,I never been happier in my life.The first 2 years in Cebu City,i had lot of fun,but it was expensive life-style I now have a partner/for want of a better word/ She looks after me like no one before.She is much younger then i am,but i am not complaining.Having a partner,is much cheaper,regardless of her age.Good health is a absulute MUST. to be able to live here
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: What age is too old to think about going abroad?

Post by Rock »

Ogie wrote:I'm 56 and have no use for toxic American women, plus I'm very aware of the decay of American society and the encroaching police state and loss of freedom. I would consider a better life in a foreign country and I do favor Asian women. Is this a young man's venture? I'm quite intimidated by the vast amount of information and sections in this entire forum, seems like it would take a lifetime just to read through everything and try to formulate some kind of plan.
Maybe you can give more details about your situation and what you are seeking. Important questions:

- What monthly income do you generate from your assets and/or pensions? Are you free to leave or tied to a company?

- What sort of lifestyle are you seeking - condo in large city in a convenient western creature comfort area, living in countryside with bare minimum of frills, smaller town, etc.? Can you tolerate heat, noise, and pollution?

- Are you looking to settle down with a serious girlfriend, date around, or not even interested in women? What sort of women are you attracted to?

- What is your health situation? Do you have any health insurance?

The more you tell us, the better we can advise you.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

I am 56 and just made the move. Based on family, I expect to live to be well over a 100 (unless I do something stupid...) so staying in The USSA Hell just wasn't a possibility.

I didn't have a lot of money to work with, and had become too lonely-and-depressed to earn and save up in the US. Time was working against me, not for me. So I just drove south into Northern Baja, which keeps it cheap. No plane tickets, no visa runs, keep my car.

Drove down and looked around, found a place. Then drove down again with a van-and-trailer-ful of stuff. Brought everything I own.

You can't do all of that in most places.

Anywhere with Americans or Canadian emigres already present in numbers is going to be easy. (Parts of Mexico, Belize, Philippines, etc.) They'll give you tips etc. Stay where the numbers are at first, don't be a pioneer just yet.

Don't get me wrong, I applaud guys going to Burma and Siberia. I just didn't have the bucks to make a permanent move to such exotic locales feasible right now.

If you don't learn languages easily or adapt well, I would go to the Philippines. They adapt to YOU.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Jonny Law
Experienced Poster

Post by Jonny Law »

Ogie wrote:I'm 56 and have no use for toxic American women, plus I'm very aware of the decay of American society and the encroaching police state and loss of freedom. I would consider a better life in a foreign country and I do favor Asian women. Is this a young man's venture? I'm quite intimidated by the vast amount of information and sections in this entire forum, seems like it would take a lifetime just to read through everything and try to formulate some kind of plan.
This happens to be an adventure for old people are retirees.

FACT-
You are not getting any younger. So go and joy yourself. STOP READING. Figure out how to open a door and find out how to buy a plane ticket.

Someone here should be able to greet you at the Manila airport.
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

Jonny Law wrote:

FACT-
You are not getting any younger. So go and joy yourself. STOP READING. Figure out how to open a door and find out how to buy a plane ticket.

I agree. Start planning and get going. You can always land in a town or city or even a country, decide it isn't the one for you, and move to another.

You'll need to determine, if you haven't already, what fixed income you have. Although there are exceptions, don't expect to go to a place like the Philippines and get a job. The good news is depending on the type of lifestyle you want (or need) it can be done less expensively than in the US.

You will find there are plenty of guys older than you there and plenty of women available to you.

I know plenty of guys who say they might do it, but they never will. Don't be one of those people.

By the way, I will disagree (with some caveats) with a few of the guys regarding health. Of course if someone is on death's door, I don't know what to say, but if someone has a health issue, he can find decent medical care. There is even a big movement for elder or hospice type care in 3rd world countries. The determining factor is your comfort level with risk. Some guys age and want to live next door to the hospital. Other guys take a more casual, "if it's my time to go, it's my time to go" type of attitude. Whatever your attitude is, you can still find a way abroad. It's just something to consider.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

davewe wrote:
Jonny Law wrote:

FACT-

I agree. Start planning and get going. You can always land in a town or city or even a country, decide it isn't the one for you, and move to another.

You'll need to determine, if you haven't already, what fixed income you have. Although there are exceptions, don't expect to go to a place like the Philippines and get a job. The good news is depending on the type of lifestyle you want (or need) it can be done less expensively than in the US.

You will find there are plenty of guys older than you there and plenty of women available to you.

I know plenty of guys who say they might do it, but they never will. Don't be one of those people.

By the way, I will disagree (with some caveats) with a few of the guys regarding health. Of course if someone is on death's door, I don't know what to say, but if someone has a health issue, he can find decent medical care. There is even a big movement for elder or hospice type care in 3rd world countries. The determining factor is your comfort level with risk. Some guys age and want to live next door to the hospital. Other guys take a more casual, "if it's my time to go, it's my time to go" type of attitude. Whatever your attitude is, you can still find a way abroad. It's just something to consider.
I agree with this, and think that the second perspective on health is more conducive to undertaking these adventures. I consider health care my responsibility, not doctors'. At 63, I've spent exactly $100 on health care over the last two years -- to have some ear wax removed. My monthly premium under the "Affordable Care Act" would be as much as I've spent on health care in the US in the past seven years.

That said, looking after your health -- eating right, exercise, etc. -- is more of a challenge on the road. And the creature comfort problem becomes more demanding of a solution as you get older, or at least it has for me. It wasn't so much a concern in days gone by, now it is.
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

gsjackson wrote:
davewe wrote:
Jonny Law wrote:

FACT-

I agree with this, and think that the second perspective on health is more conducive to undertaking these adventures. I consider health care my responsibility, not doctors'. At 63, I've spent exactly $100 on health care over the last two years -- to have some ear wax removed. My monthly premium under the "Affordable Care Act" would be as much as I've spent on health care in the US in the past seven years.

That said, looking after your health -- eating right, exercise, etc. -- is more of a challenge on the road. And the creature comfort problem becomes more demanding of a solution as you get older, or at least it has for me. It wasn't so much a concern in days gone by, now it is.
I totally agree about the "creature comforts." But of course each guy has a different notion of what that means. For me a warm climate has become more important as I've aged. I use to hate the heat, now anything under 80 and I am not totally happy. A comfy bed is a requirement. OTOH, I can adjust to different foods easily and won't miss most Western foods. For that matter, I won't miss most Westerners!
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

+1
I usually avoid Western men in the Philippines like the plague.

And you are "too old" when you are dead. Otherwise, reach for what you can.
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Post by newlifeinphilippines »

You avoid the western men cause they are mongers? Id rather talk to a foreigner who might have some valuable advice or common interests than a filipino guy. Although im not sure i fit the demographic of foreigners either so i dont go out of my way to talk to them.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

OutWest wrote:+1
That's a good idea. I hate to admit it, but a lot of my fellow American men in the Philippines are real low-lifes.

I met an American expat in Cebu 2 years ago. He said he was down on his luck and asked to borrow 1000 pesos, so I decided I'd help a brother out and gave it to him. Later, I texted him and asked if he'd like to hang out later, and he never even replied. But a couple of days later, he texted me and asked if he could borrow another 2000 pesos. This time I didn't even answer him. To this day, I still get an occasional email from him, asking to "borrow" money. Apparently he knocked up some ho without having the means to support her and her baby. I hate to say it, but it's no wonder girls in Cebu are losing interest in American guys.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

Hero wrote:
OutWest wrote:+1
That's a good idea. I hate to admit it, but a lot of my fellow American men in the Philippines are real low-lifes.

I met an American expat in Cebu 2 years ago. He said he was down on his luck and asked to borrow 1000 pesos, so I decided I'd help a brother out and gave it to him. Later, I texted him and asked if he'd like to hang out later, and he never even replied. But a couple of days later, he texted me and asked if he could borrow another 2000 pesos. This time I didn't even answer him. To this day, I still get an occasional email from him, asking to "borrow" money. Apparently he knocked up some ho without having the means to support her and her baby. I hate to say it, but it's no wonder girls in Cebu are losing interest in American guys.
Per bold, this is why guys like ContrarianExpatriate and I, among others, do not cointelpro name-drop where to monger and/or find LTRs. I wish you guys would begin to listen to guys like me, but I'm a charlatan because I never d.icked down hundreds of women in my life. Sigh.

It's funny when somebody that is more "balanced" and "humble" in nature than I decries that most Western men are a.ssclowns in places like the Philippines, he gets multiple replies. Whereas I have been stating this for years on HappierABroad (since my old E_Irizarry account from 2008), and my wisdom has not been revered. Sigh otra vez. lol
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote:
Per bold, this is why guys like ContrarianExpatriate and I, among others, do not cointelpro name-drop where to monger and/or find LTRs. I wish you guys would begin to listen to guys like me, but I'm a charlatan because I never d.icked down hundreds of women in my life. Sigh.

It's funny when somebody that is more "balanced" and "humble" in nature than I decries that most Western men are a.ssclowns in places like the Philippines, he gets multiple replies. Whereas I have been stating this for years on HappierABroad (since my old E_Irizarry account from 2008), and my wisdom has not been revered. Sigh otra vez. lol
It isn't that guys aren't saying it - it's what to do about it. All I have to do is read the postings right here (or on a number of other forums) to know that a large number of expats or tourists are not people I want to hang out with. The same is more evident when I travel abroad. In addition to the fact that there are a fair number of assholes, sex tourists and general degenerates, frankly I have no desire to spend much time hanging out with Westerners at all. If I wanted to hang out with Americans, there are about 300 million of them right here.

But where I have always disagreed with you is in the idea that the solution is to hide your knowledge of where to go and try to limit the number of tourists and expats. It's better to share the knowledge but maybe share it with men who don't fall into the scumbag category.

Frankly the best deterrent keeping men from traveling to the Philippines are forums like this one (Living in Cebu also comes to mind). The negative posts so outweigh the positive, that I am sure more guys are discouraged from checking out PI than are encouraged to actually go.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

davewe wrote:But where I have always disagreed with you is in the idea that the solution is to hide your knowledge of where to go and try to limit the number of tourists and expats. It's better to share the knowledge but maybe share it with men who don't fall into the scumbag category.

Frankly the best deterrent keeping men from traveling to the Philippines are forums like this one (Living in Cebu also comes to mind). The negative posts so outweigh the positive, that I am sure more guys are discouraged from checking out PI than are encouraged to actually go.
See, KillHoffa, Chad114 among other a.sshats can learn a thing or two about the art of conversing man-to-man. This is good: we don't entirely agree, but you've done an excellent in standing firm on your granular opinion without trying to get one-up on me. Nice.

Hey, DaveWe, you'd probably never hang out with me, but hey, as long as you are a man going his own way, I have no choice but as a man to respect that.

And the primer part of your post is my biggest gripe. How would one know who is a scumbag or not, but to render such cointel on here without filter of newcomers is a detriment.
That's what I have been complaining about for years on-end.