Gift Giving

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Gift Giving

Post by abcdavid01 »

I'm staying with a family in Shanghai in a few days and I want to bring them a gift. Problem is, I have no idea what to get. Any suggestions?
Renata
Experienced Poster

Post by Renata »

Make sure it doesn't say, Made in China :)

Vintage Antiquity shops tend to have great pieces of art, maybe a sculpture, art piece or an ornament for the home. Sometimes the pieces come with a great stories behind them. It could be a good ice-breaker and converstion piece.
- It's easy to give, when you know what it's like to have nothing. -

- Develop a backbone, not a wishbone. -
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Who are you giving a gift to? And what is the purpose? Is it for your girlfriend or friend in China? Is it for your new employer?

It depends on who and what you are giving the gift to.

If it's for a girl, I suggest anything that will be unique to the United States: something like a trinket or lapel from NYC, or something similar like that. The Chinese like gifts that have a unique 'American' spirit to it.

If it's for your employer, then something like an English Grammar Book or a cup with an American flag will do.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

A good bottle of quality American wine?

http://money.cnn.com/2013/11/08/news/china-wine-tastes/
Renata
Experienced Poster

Post by Renata »

zboy1 wrote: If it's for a girl, I suggest anything that will be unique to the United States: something like a trinket or lapel from NYC, or something similar like that. The Chinese like gifts that have a unique 'American' spirit to it.

If it's for your employer, then something like an English Grammar Book or a cup with an American flag will do.
What's something that's very native to America? I can't think of anything except, movies or a cowboy hat lol ... Like how Russia is known for vodka & New Zeland is known for cheese & butter, what's all American?

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Renata wrote:
zboy1 wrote:
The Chinese like gifts that have a unique 'American' spirit to it.
What's something that's very native to America? I can't think of anything except, movies lol ... Like how Russia is known for vodka & New Zeland is known for cheese & butter, what's all American?
Johnie Walker Black.
Or if that's too expensive, Jack Daniels.
(1 liter is OK to import most countries, but obviously check first.)

Signed major league baseball?
abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Post by abcdavid01 »

Yeah, some Jack's not so bad...or maybe some Southern Comfort. Represent Tennessee. :lol:

No, I've been living at home the past two months and I asked my mom. We ended up getting a New York Yankees baseball cap (they have a 12 year old son) and some cookies. Chips Ahoy, which I didn't think they would have over there. I joked about bringing over hamburgers.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

abcdavid01 wrote:Yeah, some Jack's not so bad...or maybe some Southern Comfort. Represent Tennessee. :lol:

No, I've been living at home the past two months and I asked my mom. We ended up getting a New York Yankees baseball cap (they have a 12 year old son) and some cookies. Chips Ahoy, which I didn't think they would have over there. I joked about bringing over hamburgers.
Oh I didnt notice before, you're from New Jersey?

Yeah the Yankees cap will rock!
abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Post by abcdavid01 »

Yes, but I go to college in Tennessee
Renata
Experienced Poster

Post by Renata »

Since you're getting the kid a hat, get the dad a cowboy hat, I always wanted one of those :)

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

abcdavid01 wrote:Yes, but I go to college in Tennessee
Maybe a banjo then?

:wink:
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Renata wrote:
Since you're getting the kid a hat, get the dad a cowboy hat, I always wanted one of those :)
I can imagine you wearing one of those.

:idea: :twisted: :wink:
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Yankee caps? Great idea, actually. And, yes, Renata asked me why bring native things that remind people of America as gifts to Chinese people?: Because of the novelty factor, that's why! The Chinese love things they cannot get in their home countries. ...
MikeManea
Freshman Poster

Re: Gift Giving

Post by MikeManea »

Hi, my name is Mike and I am currently working on a book called, 'How to Debate Atheists.' I have completed the first three chapters and would appreciate any feedback.
http://mikemanea.com/unapologetics/how- ... -atheists/