Filipinos, Filipinas Dress Well and are Clean

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
starchild5
Veteran Poster

Filipinos, Filipinas Dress Well and are Clean

Post by starchild5 »

All Filipinos seems to dress well and are ready for an occasion. The girls and the guys, old and young compared to their third world status and income. Even the guards, sales girls, guys in Malls are all dressed much better than their third world tag it seems.

In Jeepney, MRT, Bus also..You would hardly find anyone with dirty clothes and bad smell etc...except me :) ....Being Indian, I know we smell pretty bad, I have improved myself a lot but still I feel, I smell and my whole outlook needs a refitting compared to Filipinos. :) :roll:.

Dare I say, I have noticed westerners mostly in sandals and shorts where ever they end up in bars to mall to banks to visa extension offices, which is the reason they enforced dress code in Visa Extension Office it seems. Frankly, the most unkept, low dressed people are the tourist themselves from all countries than Filipinos....Even the guards in Visa extension office and Banks have clean white clothes and shoes.

I feel more comfortable around tourists as they are not as chiseled even as sales girls in malls even. All girls I have dated so far gold digger, leech or good ones. They all seems to dress well, no bad smell from their body or hair etc, they clean their food etc, if they eat at my place, make up the bed if they had stayed with me. They tidy the place up.

Most may not notice this because of height and body shape of Filipinos compared to taller Europeans, Arabs, Koreans, Indians etc...but if you observe it, you will notice how much well dressed and clean they are or may be you are used to it back home and unlike India, which is hell and dirty...The difference is not quickly noticeable

We need to keep the the Third World Status in mind ...Even their neighbors, Thais, Malays and Indonesians, mainland Chinese, hong kongers can't keep up to the level of Filipinos compared to their income and profession levels. Of course places like Manila are dirty but Filipinos, Filipinas themselves keep clean.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

hammanta
Junior Poster

Post by hammanta »

You will see this mostly in Manila, as with any city where professionals are located. But keep in mind that the tourists are there to relax, and the locals are there to work. In the poorer parts of Manila the men dress to their income level (t-shirts, shorts, and sandals). Also the Philippines is riddled with "fake" brands of clothing. It's not as taboo as it is in the west and more developed areas where name brands matter. Walk into the greenbelt and glorietta malls and see how many people are shopping at the Gucci, Armani, and other high priced clothing outlets. Very few I bet. But head to the places where you can get cheap but fake Louis Vitton purses for like 10 bucks and you will find it packed. To most men we can't tell the difference and the women don't seem to care whether it is name brand or not as long as it looks good.

Also outside of the province areas women tend to dress down some to. Shorts and t-shirts can be seen everywhere. I do agree though that filipinas have good hygiene. You have to keep in mind that they live in the heat year around and their bodies are used to it plus biologically Asians have smaller sweat glands. Me being from a state with 4 seasons, my body takes time to adjust. I'd rather be comfortable walking around in shorts and a tank than sweating it out with dress clothes on (obviously this changes when on a date). But over all filipinas tend to be more feminine than their western counterparts.
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Post by newlifeinphilippines »

Ive had the opposite view. Most filipina women dress like cheap slobs except at the mall or work. the only thing i do enjoy is many will wear feminine sexy skirts and high heels which is something you dont see in america as often.
pete98146
Experienced Poster

Post by pete98146 »

If you have the luxury of traveling anywhere outside the US, you'll find that people in most countries tend to dress well. Obviously if you are out in the poorer provinces, folks can't afford nice clothes and are less formal but if they had the funds, I'm sure they'd dress well too. This is not just an Asian thing. It's pretty much that way in South America and Europe as well.

My wife and I spent the weekend down in San Francisco earlier this month and there were many foreigners of all nationalities. They tend to dress VERY well compared to Americans. Fact of the matter is that most American's look like they just fell out of somebody's a-hole. Here in Seattle, that grunge "look I got all my clothes at Goodwill" style really never went away. It's god awful.

But back to the Asians. My wife won't leave the house unless she's looking good. Thank god that she doesn't wear much makeup but outfit has to be right. She sets a high standard for herself and there is a lot of pride involved. I'd say most other Asians in Seattle are the same.

If you are in a foreign country, dressing well shows pride in your appearance. Women will pick up on this pride and it can only help your cause. Running around in shorts, flip flops and a wife beater won't get it done.
davewe
Experienced Poster

Re: Filipinos, Filipinas Dress Well and are Clean

Post by davewe »

starchild5 wrote:All Filipinos seems to dress well and are ready for an occasion. The girls and the guys, old and young compared to their third world status and income. Even the guards, sales girls, guys in Malls are all dressed much better than their third world tag it seems.

In Jeepney, MRT, Bus also..You would hardly find anyone with dirty clothes and bad smell etc...except me :) ....Being Indian, I know we smell pretty bad, I have improved myself a lot but still I feel, I smell and my whole outlook needs a refitting compared to Filipinos. :) :roll:.

Dare I say, I have noticed westerners mostly in sandals and shorts where ever they end up in bars to mall to banks to visa extension offices, which is the reason they enforced dress code in Visa Extension Office it seems. Frankly, the most unkept, low dressed people are the tourist themselves from all countries than Filipinos....Even the guards in Visa extension office and Banks have clean white clothes and shoes.

I feel more comfortable around tourists as they are not as chiseled even as sales girls in malls even. All girls I have dated so far gold digger, leech or good ones. They all seems to dress well, no bad smell from their body or hair etc, they clean their food etc, if they eat at my place, make up the bed if they had stayed with me. They tidy the place up.

Most may not notice this because of height and body shape of Filipinos compared to taller Europeans, Arabs, Koreans, Indians etc...but if you observe it, you will notice how much well dressed and clean they are or may be you are used to it back home and unlike India, which is hell and dirty...The difference is not quickly noticeable

We need to keep the the Third World Status in mind ...Even their neighbors, Thais, Malays and Indonesians, mainland Chinese, hong kongers can't keep up to the level of Filipinos compared to their income and profession levels. Of course places like Manila are dirty but Filipinos, Filipinas themselves keep clean.
Completely true in my experience both in the Philippines and outside. Even poor girls will wear as good as they have and will care for their clothes so that they last. My wife won't walk around the corner to the grocery store without looking nice.

Smell and cleanliness is even more important. Most are absolutely insistent on being clean and wearing some sort of scent. They want you to do the same. If you are clean and neat and wear cologne or smell good, it is a huge benefit to you. If you don't - they will absolutely notice. You can't get away with "this is the tropics, so I sweat and smell."

In fact on our recent trip to the Philippines we decided to give a small gift to each of my wife's brothers and sisters. What did we get? A set of perfumes from Victoria'e Secret that my wife split up, giving one to each sister, and a small set of colognes that we again split up giving one to each brother.

This is really 101 stuff; look and smell neat and clean. If you meet a Filipina who doesn't I would consider that a big red flag.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

You'll see Chinese girls wearing a lot of skimpy outfits, but unlike American girls, it doesn't look as trashy or ghetto on them for some reason. ...

Maybe because they not as wantonly obese and slutty as Western females.

As for Asian men, I find Korean and Japanese guys well-dressed and fashionable--unlike Chinese men; Chinese guys need to dress better, in my opinion.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

I always dress well when I visit the Philippines - polo shirt, slacks, dress shoes... because I know that will make me stand out from the rest of the tourists. I look a million times better than about 99% of the other American dudes who go there :P