Abcdavid01 in Shanghai

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Abcdavid01 in Shanghai

Post by abcdavid01 »

Been a few days in Shanghai. Already think it's better than America. I know it's only one part of China and for all I know the rest is shit. But I know New York City very well and Shanghai is more impressive. Actually less crowded. Very easy to get by with no Chinese skills. Staying with family and goin to college language classes. They have a 12 year old son. He like One Direction and Naruto, which surprised me because I thought it'd be banned. He didn't know what Nintendo is after all. Making a of of progress with learning Chinese. Food is very similar to what I have at home. Never knew I was having such authentic Chinese food the whole time. Shanghai seems like America, but better. Giant Mao statue in the center of East China Normal University. In class I sit next to a Vietnamese American girl who goes to Harvard. She said her boyfriend back home is Chinese, but explained that to her Vietnam is like America. She can travel freely and talk to anyone and make person connections. Like having a second home. She wants a third. I really get that. She's damn right. Any good Happier Abroader should feel the same way.

Pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/129187998 ... 750486844/
Last edited by abcdavid01 on November 1st, 2014, 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Post by abcdavid01 »

Look more handsome without glasses, look more Chinese with. What do?

Also, smog not as bad as people say, but will see in Beijing.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

I say you look better without glasses. Also, not to sound mean but, if I were you and had a little extra saving I wouldn't mind popping to a orthodontics clinic and fixing those teeth a bit.
D_Athlete
Freshman Poster

Post by D_Athlete »

I thought Shanghai was a sick city, except during the winter it gets kind of shitty.

White guys and Asian-Americans kill it there, especially if youre in your twenties and blonde or blue eyed. Girls kind of getting bitchy and pickier though as the city gets richer, and more Chinese get richer.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

D_Athlete wrote:I thought Shanghai was a sick city, except during the winter it gets kind of shitty.

White guys and Asian-Americans kill it there, especially if youre in your twenties and blonde or blue eyed. Girls kind of getting bitchy and pickier though as the city gets richer, and more Chinese get richer.
Yes, I agree: White guys and Asian Americans do particularly well in China! Those two groups are what Chinese girls like the most.

And you're right about how the wealthier a city gets--the more bitchier and entitled females get; that's why Kai1275 recommended I get a girl away from the big cities, and more towards the interior parts of China. I found a great women in Guangzhou, and although it's also a big city, I feel the women there are better than the girls in Shenzhen.

I've also talked to Chinese females in places like Wuxi, Chongqing and even places as remote as Xinjiang province--and I found the girls there are WAY better than the girls in Shanghai, Beijing and Shenzhen--who only seem to care about money and status.
D_Athlete
Freshman Poster

Post by D_Athlete »

zboy1 wrote:
D_Athlete wrote:I thought Shanghai was a sick city, except during the winter it gets kind of shitty.

Yes, I agree: White guys and Asian Americans do particularly well in China! Those two groups are what Chinese girls like the most.

And you're right about how the wealthier a city gets--the more bitchier and entitled females get; that's why Kai1275 recommended I get a girl away from the big cities, and more towards the interior parts of China. I found a great women in Guangzhou, and although it's also a big city, I feel the women there are better than the girls in Shenzhen.

I've also talked to Chinese females in places like Wuxi, Chongqing and even places as remote as Xinjiang province--and I found the girls there are WAY better than the girls in Shanghai, Beijing and Shenzhen--who only seem to care about money and status.
Yeah, that's somewhat true. I went to a tier 2 city and picked up a fairly attractive girl just by asking for her number in Chinese. I ended up sleeping with her on the first date. But another time I went on two dates with another girl, and she turned into quite a bitch and acted somewhat entitled, even though she wasn't even that good looking. Also had a few other negative experiences with Chinese girls that were somewhat Westernized in the same city.

What are the girls like in Shenzhen? Are they really gold diggerish and entitled? I met some online and they seemed nice enough.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

D_Athlete wrote:
zboy1 wrote:

Yeah, that's somewhat true. I went to a tier 2 city and picked up a fairly attractive girl just by asking for her number in Chinese. I ended up sleeping with her on the first date. But another time I went on two dates with another girl, and she turned into quite a bitch and acted somewhat entitled, even though she wasn't even that good looking. Also had a few other negative experiences with Chinese girls that were somewhat Westernized in the same city.

What are the girls like in Shenzhen? Are they really gold diggerish and entitled? I met some online and they seemed nice enough.
I would advise against Shenzhen girls: they may seem nice at first...then their agenda starts showing, and their gold-digging ways start to appear, once you get beyond the first few dates.

I'm not saying their aren't some nice girls here--they do exist in Shenzhen--but, since it's such a new city with lots of money everywhere, the girls can be spoiled rotten.

Remember, only a tiny percentage of people are actually native to Shenzhen: most people here come from someplace else. So there is less of communal feel as there is in other, more culturally historic cities in China.

And you'll notice some girls here have the same perma-scowl and the 'bitch-shield' that Roosh and Winston like to talk about Western women; I don't see that as much in the lesser developed parts of China. Bottom line: money has a way of turning women into complete bitches, as is the case with women in Shenzhen.

Maybe I've become jaded with Shenzhen, but that's the way I see it. ...
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

abcdavid01, how are you doing in Shanghai? Please write a trip report so that we can see what you're up to in that city.

How are the women in Shanghai? I may like to bash on Chinese women living in Tier 1 cities, but how has your experience been so far?

I remember what a culture shock it was when I first arrived to China; I was in Hangzhou in a hotel, and I saw this lovely and beautiful Chinese girl (who happened to be a sister to a front desk employee of the hotel), sitting in a chair playing with her phone. I approached her--not speaking a lick of Chinese, and managed to get her phone number and also, talked quite a bit using a translator. She was flirting with me and I did the same to her; we hit-it-off and I still talk to her to this day. ...(She is a good girl, not a slut and very traditional; so not all Chinese girls are how some lying expats like to describe them).

It was such a shock to see how easy it was to approach a Chinese girl and talk to her; and not receive a 'death glare' or angry reaction--such as what you get when you approach American women back in the States. And Chinese women like Asian men--especially Asian American men--so that was SOOO different from the sometimes hostile attitude, Asian American women have towards their own race of men; it was like a burden of pain lifted from me, to see my Asian sisters actually like their own race of men, for once. ...
abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Post by abcdavid01 »

My tutor is ke jia (Hakka) like me. Very cool. Girls seem nicer, even here.

I like how tax is built in here. It's great how if something's 10 kuai that's exactly what I pay. The father in the host family I'm with told me he studied Chinese literature in college. Great to not have someone ask why I'm not studying to be a doctor or engineer or something. He worked at the newspaper and now works in public relations. Said a while back he went to Holland to study a milk factory and their safety regulations.
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

Congrats. I wish you the best man. Keep updating us on your progress. I am proud of you man :) .
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
sea_dragon
Freshman Poster

Post by sea_dragon »

Most of my immediate family lives there, and I haven't been there in years (I've been there at least twice). Ethnically, I'm fullblooded Chinese from that region even though I was born and raised in Queens, New York. Culturally I am Shanghainese, but my immediate ancestors are nearly all from the surrounding cities and towns throughout the region. A lot of westerners don't know that northern Zhejiang, southern Jiangsu south of the Yangtze as well as Shanghai have a lot in common culturally, usually it's referred to as 'Jiangnan' or 'Jiangzhe'. My father is planning on taking the family on a trip back to Shanghai once he retires from work, which is within a year. But that might also be related to marriage reasons, as my parents are itching to see grandchildren of their own, by arranging a matchmaking service for me. I can speak the local language fluently without an accent (I speak it every day at home since pretty much I started speaking), so there's not much of a problem.
Bao3niang
Junior Poster

Post by Bao3niang »

I totally agree. Since taxes are built in when you buy things in China, it saves so much time and effort. Wedding ceremonies? Read my post on that and you will be enlightened.
CYKA BLYAT!!!!!!
abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Post by abcdavid01 »

Duende, I have Chinese teeth. You ever see a racist caricature of a Chinese guy with buck teeth? If anything it makes me look more Chinese. The family I'm with, the father and son have awful teeth too. My parents even made me have braces as a kid, but it didn't correct everything. I doubt it's hurting my chances with girls much here.

Thanks for moving this to trip report. I can really say I'm Happier Abroad for now.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

abcdavid01 wrote:Duende, I have Chinese teeth. You ever see a racist caricature of a Chinese guy with buck teeth? If anything it makes me look more Chinese. The family I'm with, the father and son have awful teeth too. My parents even made me have braces as a kid, but it didn't correct everything. I doubt it's hurting my chances with girls much here.

Thanks for moving this to trip report. I can really say I'm Happier Abroad for now.
LOL I see you really want to blend in. More power to you, dude! :)
sea_dragon
Freshman Poster

Post by sea_dragon »

No worries man, I was picked on in my family for having single eyelids (like my maternal grandfather) and slightly bucked teeth (like one of my paternal aunts). It won't hurt your chances, and I really don't give a damn about that. Just adopt a positive frame of mind, especially since you're an Asian man.