Abcdavid01 in Shanghai

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
D_Athlete
Freshman Poster

Post by D_Athlete »

Abcdavid, if you don't mind me asking, are you Eurasian or from Kazakhstan or something? You don't really look Chinese.

Anyway have you been to any clubs or meet any girls yet? How's that going for you?
Seeker
Freshman Poster

Post by Seeker »

Duende, I have Chinese teeth. You ever see a racist caricature of a Chinese guy with buck teeth? If anything it makes me look more Chinese. The family I'm with, the father and son have awful teeth too. My parents even made me have braces as a kid, but it didn't correct everything. I doubt it's hurting my chances with girls much here.
Get them fixed if you can. You should improve your looks as much as possible. Chinese women DO notice things like that.

Looking good >> Looking Chinese.
abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Post by abcdavid01 »

Huaren. Half Chinese. Ke jia, Hakka.
abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Post by abcdavid01 »

I don't know if this has ever been mentioned on Happier Abroad, but here's another complaint about American females. A lot of reasonably intelligent middle-class White girls are very feminist and downplay the importance of having children, but don't do away with their maternal instinct. Instead they pervert it by directing it towards Africans or the like. Or monkeys if you're Jane Goodall. Cornfed would say there's no difference. The really intense ones will even go to Africa. I've seen many promotional pictures for study abroad programs showing ugly, chubby white girls surrounded by very dark African children. It's just so ridiculous. But I heard a girl in my study abroad program here having the same attitude about Chinese people. Pisses me right off. She was saying she liked China, but looked forward to going back to America where race relations are better. You can read that to mean she likes America because it's politically correct. She generally took the attitude that Chinese are unenlightened about things and in need of instruction (read: progressivism). She's channeling her maternal instinct and it just comes across as ridiculous. Free Tibet? It's not 1993. You'll see this time and time again and it's just such a joke. I remember reading somewhere, maybe Return of Kings, about a trend with American women buying pitbulls. There's always a psychology behind it. These feminists, American women, they are just broken inside and have their natural instincts directed in utterly absurd directions.

http://www.dangerandplay.com/2013/02/11 ... pit-bulls/

On the other hand, I live with an incredible family and after three weeks we really are that close. Today their twelve year old son had three friends over. He does about every night. It's a very small apartment and they were very loud and jumping around - typical high energy twelve year olds. But ayi didn't seem to mind at all; on the contrary she told me she loves kids. She's very maternal and China has a more normal, sane society.
SilverEnergy
Junior Poster

Post by SilverEnergy »

Playa, have you approached ANY women yet???

That's what I want to hear about.
"Allow me to show you the Power Cosmic!" - Silver Surfer
D_Athlete
Freshman Poster

Post by D_Athlete »

Would like to hear some updates from OP.

Did you check out any nightclubs yet? How's life there now? Still enjoying it?
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

SilverEnergy wrote:Playa, have you approached ANY women yet???
That's what I want to hear about.
+1
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

I wonder if abcdavid01 is still in Shanghai?...

So far, Shanghai has been kinda overwhelming my first few days in the city. It's so big, I feel like a tiny dot in a sea of people...

I think I prefer Guangzhou and Hangzhou to Shanghai, both in terms of friendliness, open space and the women; also, although the other two cities may be big--it's not so big you could get lost in...

It's great to see the Bund and explore the city, though! For those Westerners craving a more 'cosmopolitan' China, then this city is just for you! On the other hand, the people here are kind of soulless, money-minded and a bit unfriendly compared to the rest of China. The women are the same way...

I would love to explore the city more in detail in the coming weeks.
sea_dragon
Freshman Poster

Post by sea_dragon »

Shanghai itself is a crowded city. Most of the locals generally keep to themselves and are cliquish, but in general, that is true for hugely populated Asian cities.
abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Post by abcdavid01 »

zboy, if Shanghai's cold then the rest of China must be heaven. Seriously, Shanghai was a huge social improvement for me compared to America. Had some opportunities with girls, but I never pursue things when I know I'm going to leave. I'm back in America now though to finish my last year of college. My mom's in China now and I'll probably go back in a year or year and a half. I really miss it. I want to find where to live and settle down, find a wife, etc.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

abcdavid01 wrote:zboy, if Shanghai's cold then the rest of China must be heaven. Seriously, Shanghai was a huge social improvement for me compared to America. Had some opportunities with girls, but I never pursue things when I know I'm going to leave. I'm back in America now though to finish my last year of college. My mom's in China now and I'll probably go back in a year or year and a half. I really miss it. I want to find where to live and settle down, find a wife, etc.
Of course, China compared to the USA is heaven. But, you'd better off finding a Chinese girl outside the big Tier 1 cities, and go for more rural ladies instead.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

abcdavid01 wrote:zboy, if Shanghai's cold then the rest of China must be heaven. Seriously, Shanghai was a huge social improvement for me compared to America. Had some opportunities with girls, but I never pursue things when I know I'm going to leave. I'm back in America now though to finish my last year of college. My mom's in China now and I'll probably go back in a year or year and a half. I really miss it. I want to find where to live and settle down, find a wife, etc.
Of course, China compared to the USA is heaven. But, you'd better off finding a Chinese girl outside the big Tier 1 cities, and go for more rural ladies instead.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »