New Here

Introduce yourself here and let us know who you are.
Forum rules
Welcome. If you are new here, please read the Forum Rules.
Titan
Freshman Poster

New Here

Post by Titan »

Hello Everyone!

I've been lurking for a few weeks here and decided that I would finally join in the discussions.

I was born and raised in the United States. I'm 27 years old, and will finish my BS in Mathematics with a minor in Chinese December 2015. Currently, I'm planning on travelling starting March/April of 2016 to visit friends/family and see the world!

My destinations are:
Lagos, Nigeria (most of my extended family is here)
Chengdu, China (best friend lives here)
Tokyo, Japan (old high school buddy lives here)
Philipinnes.
I'm not sure whether to post trip details and goals here or create a new topic in a different forum.

I hope that I can provide some insights regarding my experiences here in the States, as well as learn from the fine gentlemen here.

Cheers!
hammanta
Junior Poster

Post by hammanta »

Nice to see another fairly young guy here as well. Welcome! Sounds like a good start for traveling. I would just create a new topic.
Titan
Freshman Poster

Post by Titan »

Thank you hammanta! Will do.
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

If you want to live permanently overseas somewhere or in different countries with a decent income get a teaching license for mathematics from the state/country you're from and try to get Arithmetic teaching jobs at private or international schools. Since your young you can work the smaller schools to get experience, then transfer to the big international schools where the pay is good and they cover living expenses. It's a good way to see the world if you got the right credentials and if you teach Math, speak/write native English and know Chinese you're way ahead of most others.

Math teaching gigs in international schools who are native speakers are the easiest to procure cause there aren't many who get degrees in math since it's on average hard to learn and teach. They pay good money too in comparison to other teaching subjects except perhaps science.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
Paloaltoguy
Freshman Poster

Re: New Here

Post by Paloaltoguy »

Titan wrote:Hello Everyone!

I've been lurking for a few weeks here and decided that I would finally join in the discussions.

I was born and raised in the United States. I'm 27 years old, and will finish my BS in Mathematics with a minor in Chinese December 2015. Currently, I'm planning on travelling starting March/April of 2016 to visit friends/family and see the world!

My destinations are:
Lagos, Nigeria (most of my extended family is here)
Chengdu, China (best friend lives here)
Tokyo, Japan (old high school buddy lives here)
Philipinnes.
I'm not sure whether to post trip details and goals here or create a new topic in a different forum.

I hope that I can provide some insights regarding my experiences here in the States, as well as learn from the fine gentlemen here.

Cheers!
Mathematics? = lol
Titan
Freshman Poster

Post by Titan »

Thanks everyone for your responses. I posted more info regarding my trip in a different forum. Will try to link to it in a few hours.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”