Vietnam vs Philippines or China

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Vietnam vs Philippines or China

Post by newlifeinphilippines »

Anyone been to vietnam vs other countries? Vietnamese women are hot and the mannerisms of the people in that country interest me plus with my dad fighting vietnam war it would be nice to visit. Im considering checking out vietnam just for tourism and cultural reasons (and maybe for women too) if i leave the country again. I may not leave the country for years to save but i figure if i leave again its gotta be more than philippines, something to help motivate me to get on teh plane again.

Sorry but philippines was sold to happier abroaders as a bill of goods. I want a refund lol time to start checking out other countries simultaneously so i can eventually branch out. unless some girl specifically gathers my attentions so much i want to go just straight to phil there only but id really hope i can check out a new country first before i swing back to manila :) if i want to leave the country again I want to check out a new country for a change not the same old one only time and time again and no where else. Only like 2 or 3 weeks just to get a jist of it before i land back to phil. Thailand is just a whorer version of phil so ill skip it and japan and korea are stuck up and too fast paced and expensive.

Id really like to visit japan but with the high expenses and it being so fast paced and modern id be more interested in maybe vietnam or china for culture shock and the women are friendlier too which makes the trip more pleasant even if you actually dont score its nice to be in a country where women act sweeter. Anyone have success lining up dates off the vietnam dating sites?

No I will NOT try indonesia because I dont like muslims and im assuming the women there are more conservative then the other countries i mentioned also i dont care for the malay look of indonesians and it seems most are very homogenous looking with less variation in skin color or faces lunike filipinas. I also think vietnamese are hotter than the other south east asian island countries since they seem to have more northeast asian features usually from what ive seen.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

First of all...how would you know a place is "too fast-paced and stuck-up," when you've never even visited the country? Some people actually do like (and prefer) S. Korea and Japan, to Southeast Asia.

Why don't you go and visit those countries, first...before deciding on which country you're going to move to? They might surprise...

You have to ask yourself: what are my primary reasons for wanting to go to a particular Asian country? If it's for mongering, then Southeast Asia is your best bet. If you want a wife, then Vietnam, China and the Philippines is good. It sounds like you're primarily a monger, is that right, newlife?

It does sound like your best bet is Vietnam, though. Baoning wants to eventually move there, too. Maybe you could PM and ask him some questions about the place?
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

zboy1 wrote:First of all...how would you know a place is "too fast-paced and stuck-up," when you've never even visited the country? Some people actually do like (and prefer) S. Korea and Japan, to Southeast Asia.

Why don't you go and visit those countries, first...before deciding on which country you're going to move to? They might surprise...

You have to ask yourself: what are my primary reasons for wanting to go to a particular Asian country? If it's for mongering, then Southeast Asia is your best bet. If you want a wife, then Vietnam, China and the Philippines is good. It sounds like you're primarily a monger, is that right, newlife?

It does sound like your best bet is Vietnam, though. Baoning wants to eventually move there, too. Maybe you could PM and ask him some questions about the place?

My trip isn't exclusively about women its just to explore another country so I can say I been there and so I can compare the differences in culture and women. Not really monger i prefer relationships but not looking for a long courtship either right now so im sort of inbetween. I guess I could go to mindanao if i want more lowkey women but vietnamese women are hotter I think and id like to see a different country and culture. One problem with vietnam is buddhism but im just there to sightsee not marry. Also I think vietnam has less visitors than phil especially mongers so it would give me an edge to stand out. I want to go with huge culture shock but also a place that isn't overrun by tourist and mongers.

too much money to go visit a bunch of countries and decide. Im just going by what other people say and my own intuition so I dont have to gamble and then lose. I dont think vietnam would be easy to move to or live in for long periods of time but im not sure. Also I think the women are reserved there moreso but its not the only reason why id want to go. Thats why i keep it short just to check it out before i pass back to manila again.
tamdrin12
Freshman Poster

Post by tamdrin12 »

Why is Buddhism a problem? Buddhism in a country is a good influence if anything..
Been living abroad for 4 years now. India, Nepal, Taiwan, and Thailand. Currently in Thailand teaching English as my bread and butter.

Check out my online store featuring cool jewelry and items at very reasonable prices from Thailand!

http://thailand-treasures.myshopify.com/collections/all
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

tamdrin12 wrote:Why is Buddhism a problem? Buddhism in a country is a good influence if anything..
because im not buddhist and want a girl who shares my views or to talk with people. Unless i can convert them but thats hard since buddhism is so different. :) but im just thinking about a short visit to get a feel of the countries not exactly moving or staying for long.
Devil Dog
Freshman Poster

Post by Devil Dog »

newlifeinphilippines wrote:
zboy1 wrote:First of all...how would you know a place is "too fast-paced and stuck-up," when you've never even visited the country? Some people actually do like (and prefer) S. Korea and Japan, to Southeast Asia.

My trip isn't exclusively about women its just to explore another country so I can say I been there and so I can compare the differences in culture and women. Not really monger i prefer relationships but not looking for a long courtship either right now so im sort of inbetween. I guess I could go to mindanao if i want more lowkey women but vietnamese women are hotter I think and id like to see a different country and culture. One problem with vietnam is buddhism but im just there to sightsee not marry. Also I think vietnam has less visitors than phil especially mongers so it would give me an edge to stand out. I want to go with huge culture shock but also a place that isn't overrun by tourist and mongers.

too much money to go visit a bunch of countries and decide. Im just going by what other people say and my own intuition so I dont have to gamble and then lose. I dont think vietnam would be easy to move to or live in for long periods of time but im not sure. Also I think the women are reserved there moreso but its not the only reason why id want to go. Thats why i keep it short just to check it out before i pass back to manila again.
I don't recall which ethnic group you are from, but it will have a bearing on your success in Vietnam. The Vietnamese that I have met do not like Chinese people at all, for example.

I was not pursuing women there, so I don't know how their sexual mores are compared to other countries. Most of them are very positive toward Americans however. They want to talk to you and get to know you. They are fascinated by the US. My impression, even in the cities, is that people have a sort of small town way of thinking. By that I mean that reputation is important and that women do not want to be seen as non virtuous.

Few Vietnamese are practicing Buddhists from my observation. The temples are there because it is the Buddhist part of the world but many years of turmoil and government disapproval has decreased their ranks. According to Wiki, between 9% and 16% of Vietnamese identify themselves as Buddhists. Between 6% and 7% are Catholics.

Vietnam is not a monger destination, at least not to the degree of PI, Thailand or even Cambodia. P4P is there of course, but it is not in your face like in the other places I mentioned.

You don't have to go very far in Vietnam to get off the beaten path. In the Central Highlands you can go for days without seeing another Westerner.

You mentioned that it may be difficult to move there or to live there. I am not sure exactly how they do it, whether they have to do visa runs or not, but I know an American expat couple who live in Hanoi. They love Vietnam. I can understand it. One impression I have is that Vietnamese are more competent in general than Filipinos. So you don't see quite so much stupid incompetent shit there. That would be a big plus for me.
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Devil Dog wrote:

I don't recall which ethnic group you are from, but it will have a bearing on your success in Vietnam. The Vietnamese that I have met do not like Chinese people at all, for example.

I was not pursuing women there, so I don't know how their sexual mores are compared to other countries. Most of them are very positive toward Americans however. They want to talk to you and get to know you. They are fascinated by the US. My impression, even in the cities, is that people have a sort of small town way of thinking. By that I mean that reputation is important and that women do not want to be seen as non virtuous.

Few Vietnamese are practicing Buddhists from my observation. The temples are there because it is the Buddhist part of the world but many years of turmoil and government disapproval has decreased their ranks. According to Wiki, between 9% and 16% of Vietnamese identify themselves as Buddhists. Between 6% and 7% are Catholics.

Vietnam is not a monger destination, at least not to the degree of PI, Thailand or even Cambodia. P4P is there of course, but it is not in your face like in the other places I mentioned.

You don't have to go very far in Vietnam to get off the beaten path. In the Central Highlands you can go for days without seeing another Westerner.

You mentioned that it may be difficult to move there or to live there. I am not sure exactly how they do it, whether they have to do visa runs or not, but I know an American expat couple who live in Hanoi. They love Vietnam. I can understand it. One impression I have is that Vietnamese are more competent in general than Filipinos. So you don't see quite so much stupid incompetent shit there. That would be a big plus for me.
is it worth traveling for a couple weeks just to see a new place? or would i be better off trying cambodia or china? Thats itnersting its 7 percent catholic. did anyone speak english? or will i be totally alienated wherever I go?
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

tamdrin12 wrote:Why is Buddhism a problem? Buddhism in a country is a good influence if anything..
Good question, I have no idea how this can be a problem. I am living in Japan since decades and I am not a Buddhist, even my Japanese wife is not a Buddhist.

Except Philippines, South Korea has a large Christian population, and also Vietnam has some Christianity because of US influence during Korean War and Vietnam War.

Buddhists in general do not create problems to other religions, but if they feel that enough is enough they also can fight back, for example in Myanmar to the direction of Bangladesh and Thailand in the Southern provinces bordering Malaysia. Buddhists are also fighting back in SriLanka and a few other places.

In history Japanese Buddhism/Shinto was also fighting back against Christianity, even today there are only few Christians in Japan.

Cambodia is restricting Christian missionaries and does not allow them to try to convert people outside of their own churches.

Generally, you cannot avoid Buddhism and Islam too in Far East and South East Asia in many countries. Do not claim with the Bible in your hands that 'Buddism is not good' and do not try to proselytize people into Christianity and you are fine.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Vietnma vs Phil or China

Post by Yohan »

..... Thailand is just a whorer version of phil so ill skip it and japan and korea are stuck up and too fast paced and expensive.

..... No I will NOT try indonesia because I dont like muslims
It seems you do not know much about Asian countries.

About Thailand, it has a strong economy and remarkable industrial output and income is more than 3 times higher than in Philippines.
Thailand is also a very safe country for foreigners, offers free basic health care to all its citizens and has much better and cheaper housing
than Philippines.

About Indonesia, it is very different from island to island, about Islam you are right in the Western part of Sumatra (Medan City for example), but this is not everywhere like that (for example Bali, Timor etc.). There are Hindu, Buddhist and Christian minorities in Indonesia and troubles between them and Muslims are rare. - Same with Malaysia.
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Re: Vietnma vs Phil or China

Yohan wrote:
..... Thailand is just a whorer version of phil so ill skip it and japan and korea are stuck up and too fast paced and expensive.

..... No I will NOT try indonesia because I dont like muslims
It seems you do not know much about Asian countries.

About Thailand, it has a strong economy and remarkable industrial output and income is more than 3 times higher than in Philippines.
Thailand is also a very safe country for foreigners, offers free basic health care to all its citizens and has much better and cheaper housing
than Philippines.

About Indonesia, it is very different from island to island, about Islam you are right in the Western part of Sumatra (Medan City for example), but this is not everywhere like that (for example Bali, Timor etc.). There are Hindu, Buddhist and Christian minorities in Indonesia and troubles between them and Muslims are rare. - Same with Malaysia.
Everyone has its preferences and teh reasons why. You dont care about religion but I do. I cant be in a country where people are offended or im not allowed to be a christian. You dont care if someone has a problem with you or there is radicals, i do. Its why i avoid mindanoa and will avoid other muslim areas. Thailand has muslims too. Sounds like cambodia is not friendly to christians either so I will avoid. But I do know of some missionaries from baptist churches in philippines that are in cambodia right now but i think they are cambodian or filipino so they blend in. Anyways I dont like them and as a foreigner im especially susceptible so I avoid. I dont like thailand cause its rampant with foreigners and buddhist. I dont want indonesia for the religious issues and it being so conservative. At least vietnam is more low key from foreigners and no muslims. Not sure the percentage of christians in vietnam vs thailand though? I want to find people who have similiar beliefs in religion or at least open to converting. buddhist are hard to get close to cause of that. thats my preference it may not be yours.

Hmmm looking at this article seems like vietnam and some of these others are very close minded societies to christians. Not sure if i want to visit countries like this
http://www.epm.org/resources/2009/Dec/1 ... ersecuted/
http://www.christianpost.com/news/nick- ... ach-97174/

seems indonesia has a lot of protestants but problems with muslims but they dont have the governemnt censoring them like they do to the level of vietnam and other coutnries. Seems they have some english speaking churches but some are getting cracked down by government

http://www.expat-blog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=172898
http://www.expat-blog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=148290
http://www.expat-blog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=216395
https://www.facebook.com/NLFvietnam

that church in facebook and blgoged about i think it may be enlgish looks like they have some foreigners

I just checked ho chi minh sucks for online dating for dateinasia. thats a large city yet only a few dozen girls have logged on whereas for filipinas using that site it would be THOUSANDS. i think its cause vietnamese have language issues and are even poorer and less likely to want a foreigner.

For me id like to visit to learn the culture and stuff and see how it really is with a country not influenced by the west and with a repressive government and with little english.
Raja
Freshman Poster

Post by Raja »

Yohan wrote:
Good question, I have no idea how this can be a problem. I am living in Japan since decades and I am not a Buddhist, even my Japanese wife is not a Buddhist.

Except Philippines, South Korea has a large Christian population, and also Vietnam has some Christianity because of US influence during Korean War and Vietnam War.

Buddhists in general do not create problems to other religions, but if they feel that enough is enough they also can fight back, for example in Myanmar to the direction of Bangladesh and Thailand in the Southern provinces bordering Malaysia. Buddhists are also fighting back in SriLanka and a few other places.

In history Japanese Buddhism/Shinto was also fighting back against Christianity, even today there are only few Christians in Japan.

Cambodia is restricting Christian missionaries and does not allow them to try to convert people outside of their own churches.

Generally, you cannot avoid Buddhism and Islam too in Far East and South East Asia in many countries. Do not claim with the Bible in your hands that 'Buddism is not good' and do not try to proselytize people into Christianity and you are fine.
Aside from South Korea many of whom were glad for the help against japan and North Korea I would disagree about the US influence spreading Christianity in Asia. That came from Spanish and French priest during their colonial periods. Thus a century after the US victory over Spain and Filipino nationalist the Philippines remains solidly Catholic and did not take on the American character by throwing off a quasi royal class of religious leadership. The Catholics of Vietnam and the rest of Indochina being on the losing side of their wars generally emigrated out or were put into reeducation camps in the immediate post war era. But as the time passed the communist influence on the nationalist decreased and official sanctions against other worldviews like religions began to lessen. Although laws like the Cambodian sanctions and those in Islamic lands against foreign missionaries remain on the books with various levels of enforcement.
Devil Dog
Freshman Poster

Post by Devil Dog »

Devil Dog wrote:

is it worth traveling for a couple weeks just to see a new place? or would i be better off trying cambodia or china? Thats itnersting its 7 percent catholic. did anyone speak english? or will i be totally alienated wherever I go?
Of course not everyone speaks English, but most of the people I encountered did.

Cambodia is a sad, cynical place IMO. Their gene pool has been ruined by the Khmer Rouge attempt to kill every intelligent citizen. For years they have been relying upon foreign aid and everyone seems to have their hand out expecting to be given something. In contrast, Vietnam has a hum of energy and hard work.
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

I spent a week in Vietnam about 2 years ago and loved it. Yes, the women are very attractive. And the food was universally excellent to the point where I stopped asking for restaurant recommendations, knowing that any restaurant I went in would have good food.

However, English is not much spoken there. Even in Ho Chi Minh City, very few people speak English and I mean no English. Getting into a cab and telling the name of my hotel was useless; you had to show the cabbie the name in Vietnamese.

So, the OP is a person who struggles in the Philippines, a country with good English skills and a strong connection to American culture. I doubt he will like Vietnam unless he finds a girl who speaks English well - and a girl who speaks English well is a prized commodity.

As for me I hope to go back.
Devil Dog
Freshman Poster

Post by Devil Dog »

Raja wrote:
Yohan wrote:

Aside from South Korea many of whom were glad for the help against japan and North Korea I would disagree about the US influence spreading Christianity in Asia. That came from Spanish and French priest during their colonial periods...
This is correct. The Catholic presence in Vietnam came from missionaries introduced during the French Indochina regime, which dates back to the 1800's.
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

I need to focus on work if i keep traveling ill be destitute so im not planning on going abroad again for a long time. I was just curious about the other countries so i have another reason to visit besides the same old phil again. Davewe it wasn't about the women so much just seeing another culture etc for a short visit. anyways i think this stuff is best left for retirment or those guys with stable long term income.