I am going to Thailand tomorrow.

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

tamdrin12 wrote:zboy1.. I think street food will be ok in Thailand.. compared to India or Nepal.. I have a pretty good stomach I think a lot of foreigners eat street food in Thailand... plus I want to eat cheap and I know all those western chains will be more expensive for not necessarily better quality..
Foodcourts in Supermarkets like TescoLotus or BigC are not more expensive, have also Thai food of course as most people eating there are Thai people.

However the foodcourts are much cleaner compared to street food stalls.

As I said before, no rats or dogs or flies etc., because of air conditioning and stainless kitchen stalls, there is clean water supply and clean restrooms. Plates and cutlery are washed much more carefully, there is no direct sunlight, dust of the street which might be harmful for the food quality.

To eat unclean food from outdoor food stalls using dirty plates etc. does not make any sense, in case of a serious infection, the hospital bill will be far higher than food from food courts.

What is really expensive in Thailand is imported food in upper class department-stores. There is no need to buy that, there is plenty of similar local food in supermarkets available which is at least 3 to 4 times cheaper.

Examples I see every time while in Thailand are sausages, honey, fruits, rice, bread, jam, butter, mineral water etc. etc.
Always compare the prices before you take items to the cashier. Cheap Thai food products are often in the lowest shelf, and the most expensive foreign imports are exactly in front of your eyes. Thai people are quite good in business.
Last edited by Yohan on August 15th, 2014, 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
tamdrin12
Freshman Poster

Post by tamdrin12 »

Thanks for all the info Yohan.. I Appreciate it!....
Been living abroad for 4 years now. India, Nepal, Taiwan, and Thailand. Currently in Thailand teaching English as my bread and butter.

Check out my online store featuring cool jewelry and items at very reasonable prices from Thailand!

http://thailand-treasures.myshopify.com/collections/all
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Please feel free to ask anything you want to know, I think, I and some others will reply shortly.

Another good idea for you, if you have still time, you might consider to visit Cambodia (or Laos).

There are daily several long-distance buses from Pattaya (and also from Bangkok of course) to the Cambodian (and Lao border).

Cambodia: Visa at the border, bring only USD with you, and 1 photo for the visa form. Cambodian ATMs will disperse only USD. In Cambodia, USD is the second currency and everybody will accept it.

Cambodia is not bad at all, worth a visit for a few days. Very friendly and modest people are living there, still a poor place, but much cleaner than India etc. - Good food/bread (better than Thailand) as they have still some idea about cooking during the French colony time.

I was many times in Cambodia, but not so frequently in Laos.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Me too. Headed for Pattaya Sunday, will stay a month. First time in Asia.
ringspun
Freshman Poster

Post by ringspun »

You shouldn't have any issues in Thailand from sickness, I have never been sick there and been around 7 months in total, I am sure you could eat something bad but generally health is good there
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

Yohan wrote:Please feel free to ask anything you want to know, I think, I and some others will reply shortly.

Another good idea for you, if you have still time, you might consider to visit Cambodia (or Laos).

There are daily several long-distance buses from Pattaya (and also from Bangkok of course) to the Cambodian (and Lao border).

Cambodia: Visa at the border, bring only USD with you, and 1 photo for the visa form. Cambodian ATMs will disperse only USD. In Cambodia, USD is the second currency and everybody will accept it.

Cambodia is not bad at all, worth a visit for a few days. Very friendly and modest people are living there, still a poor place, but much cleaner than India etc. - Good food/bread (better than Thailand) as they have still some idea about cooking during the French colony time.

I was many times in Cambodia, but not so frequently in Laos.
Yohan is right. I had taken a train for literally only I think it was 17 baht for going to the border Thai-Cambodian border to renew my visa. I waited in line, and in broken English, the Cambodians there literally asked me to fork over twenty dollars to walk through the booth into Cambodia with my handwritten Cambodia visa with a Cambodian template for the visa just to literally walk back into Thailand 10 seconds later to wait on line to get visa renewed for another month. It took me eight-nine hours to get back to Bangkok. Interesting trip I'd have to say. This was in 2007 this has happened.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

Yohan wrote:
tamdrin12 wrote:zboy1.. I think street food will be ok in Thailand.. compared to India or Nepal.. I have a pretty good stomach I think a lot of foreigners eat street food in Thailand... plus I want to eat cheap and I know all those western chains will be more expensive for not necessarily better quality..
Foodcourts in Supermarkets like TescoLotus or BigC are not more expensive, have also Thai food of course as most people eating there are Thai people.

However the foodcourts are much cleaner compared to street food stalls.

As I said before, no rats or dogs or flies etc., because of air conditioning and stainless kitchen stalls, there is clean water supply and clean restrooms. Plates and cutlery are washed much more carefully, there is no direct sunlight, dust of the street which might be harmful for the food quality.

To eat unclean food from outdoor food stalls using dirty plates etc. does not make any sense, in case of a serious infection, the hospital bill will be far higher than food from food courts.

What is really expensive in Thailand is imported food in upper class department-stores. There is no need to buy that, there is plenty of similar local food in supermarkets available which is at least 3 to 4 times cheaper.

Examples I see every time while in Thailand are sausages, honey, fruits, rice, bread, jam, butter, mineral water etc. etc.
Always compare the prices before you take items to the cashier. Cheap Thai food products are often in the lowest shelf, and the most expensive foreign imports are exactly in front of your eyes. Thai people are quite good in business.
On Pometien Beach (Pattaya area), they love eating roaches and frying up insects, which technically has a high-protein ratio compared to a lot of other living objects out there.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote: Yohan is right. I had taken a train for literally only I think it was 17 baht for going to the border Thai-Cambodian border to renew my visa. I waited in line, and in broken English, the Cambodians there literally asked me to fork over twenty dollars to walk through the booth into Cambodia with my handwritten Cambodia visa with a Cambodian template for the visa just to literally walk back into Thailand 10 seconds later to wait on line to get visa renewed for another month. It took me eight-nine hours to get back to Bangkok. Interesting trip I'd have to say. This was in 2007 this has happened.
This kind of visa run is not possible anymore.

To go to Cambodia border (or to Laos) from Pattaya is by long distance bus etc., but there is also a very slow train up to Aranyphathet from Bangkok.

Why to do only visa-run? Now they give you only 14 days when coming back by this land route, Thailand is getting restrictive.

Why not to continue and travel a few days within Cambodia, to Siem Reap (Angkor Wat), Battambang and if you have enough time to go Phnom Penh and Sihanoukville? If you want to cross from Cambodia direct into Laos, you need visa in advance, no visa at the border.

Same is true with Vietnam, if you continue from Cambodia into Vietnam, you need the visa in advance from any consulate or embassy in Thailand or Cambodia.

You could go for a few days for a round-trip through Cambodia only and come back to Thailand by another border point, via Trat or via Poipet (very bad road!) etc. Plenty to do also in Cambodia, if you look for a little adventure.
http://www.cambodia-travel.com/information/kohkong.htm
http://www.canbypublications.com/maps/m ... #kampotkep

There is plenty of Cambodia information nowadays on the internet, still by far not so good developed compared to Thailand however.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ko_Chang
Near Trat, there is also a nice island good for swimming.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote: On Pometien Beach (Pattaya area), they love eating roaches and frying up insects, which technically has a high-protein ratio compared to a lot of other living objects out there.
Jomtien Beach has always some vendors with their mobile food stalls (small motorcycle/sidecar) and selling insects. However this is food only from NorthEast Thailand (Isaan) - Not all Thai people can eat that.

About foreigners, as they usually only take pictures and never buy anything, these vendors are asking for a small tip to pose for photos with their funny looking 'restaurant' in this tourist area. If you take only pictures of them without asking, they might get quite angry. Please give them 20 baht (USD 0.60) and you can take pictures of those vendors with them as many as you like.
tamdrin12
Freshman Poster

Post by tamdrin12 »

My plan is to possibly try to find a job teaching ESL in Thailand. I guess if I do get one then I would have to do a visa run to get on another visa as I will just be getting the 30 day at the airport. Kind of sucks considering my finances..
Been living abroad for 4 years now. India, Nepal, Taiwan, and Thailand. Currently in Thailand teaching English as my bread and butter.

Check out my online store featuring cool jewelry and items at very reasonable prices from Thailand!

Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Better to look for teaching jobs in Cambodia, or elsewhere.

Thailand is getting restrictive with tourist visa, a tourist is supposed to be not longer than 180 days a year, usually divided into 90 days in and 90 days out...

Cambodia is still willing to offer easily so-called business-related visa up to 1 year without leaving the country.

Thailand was never really welcoming people offering working permits. It is just open for tourists spending their foreign money and for retired people, if they can prove they have foreign money to live abroad, and for spouse of a Thai wife (rarely husband) if the foreigner has some money from abroad etc...
tamdrin12
Freshman Poster

Post by tamdrin12 »

I made it to Pattaya today. Got a cheap and reasonably nice hotel not too far from the center of town for 12$USD a night. I'm happy with it..

So far it kind of feels like being in Florida at the beach or something. TONS of old retired white guys here lol.. just like Florida.. I guess I will check out the nightlife scene tonight because hey I'm here anyway...

Anything you recommend Yohan?

Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

I would say, just look around... you cannot miss nightlife if you are really somewhere in Pattaya City, direction to beachroad - there is nightlife everywhere, regardless if you are coming from north, central or south.
Have a nice time.
tamdrin12
Freshman Poster

Post by tamdrin12 »

Yeah.. I wasn't planning on it.. but I ended up bringing home a super f***ing hot chick... holy shit... 9/10..... what happens in pattaya stays in pattaya I guess

I really don't consider myself a whoremonger... this was the second h0 I slept with in my life... but after a few beers I just couldn't resist...

newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Post by newlifeinphilippines »

but how good of a lay?