I am going to Thailand tomorrow.

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Bobby
Freshman Poster

Post by Bobby »

gsjackson wrote:One thing that seems worth noting about Pattaya: the thing the Philippines is known for, western men 45-75 going around with young local girls in their twenties -- that's all over the place here. I'm in a large high rise near the beach, and I almost literally can't go in or out of the building without seeing such a coupling. And it's a different pair each day. They are the only couplings around here where you see public display of affection.

You're not used to seeing it in the west, so it's a little jarring, but there really doesn't seem to be anything particularly incongruous about it. It seems like a fair exchange of value, maybe even the girls deriving more benefit.

A lot of these guys have stayed in decent shape, aren't bad looking as western men go (though there are plenty who aren't), just a little bit of age on them. Presumably they bring money to the table, and these girls come from poverty. The girls are decent looking, if you don't mind the 12-year-old boy's body thing, but it's not exactly like beauty and the beast, in most cases.

What the girls don't bring -- and this presumably is different in the Philippines -- is any significant ability to communicate in English. They just don't know enough to have anything resembling a conversation (at least that's the case with all Thais I've spoken to so far). They smile sweetly, and I'm sure body language communication is profound, but thoughts expressed in words -- not part of the program.

I'm sure the guys think they are getting enough out of the deal from the girls' skills at making men happy (definitely part of the culture here), but it seems like the guys who go for the Philippinos have a better deal. I wouldn't want what the men here have, but more power to them. Everyone looks happy enough with the arrangements.
Interesting comments, gsjackson. I remember my first time in Thailand in the early 1990s. It was completely jarring, as you say. I couldn't believe it and wanted to get the hell out of there. After about three days I felt a little better and by the end of the week I started to enjoy myself a little and eventually things just worked out fine. But those first few days I just felt so lost. I might as well have been on another planet amongst an alien race.
MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Post by MrPeabody »

gsjackson wrote:
Jester wrote:GSJackson, I learn far more from a trip report like yours, than one from a nice polite person.

:wink: I mean that in a good way.

Seriously, I know you've been to Serbia, Bosnia and Poland recently.

Not sure where else.

Do you mind reminding me where else you've been that you've posted anything about?

Not trying to hijack this Thailand thread, I was going to PM you but I thought others might like to have the same info as a reference.

It's a big world, the first thing a guy needs to know is what places to eliminate.
On this trip, Prague, where I also spent the summer in 2011. It's great in the summer time, except for all the tourists. Really a strikingly beautiful city, and quite an agreeable climate in the summer. You never need air conditioning. And there are a lot of attractive women there, especially in their 30s and 40s, which work for me.

After 2011 I was kicking myself for all the 30-somethings I didn't approach, but I found out this time that it wouldn't have done any good -- they don't speak English, and they don't want to try because apparently an aspect of the Czech personality is not wanting to do at all something they don't do well.

Now, most of the younger ones speak English, and I gave some serious thought to getting a self-employment visa in Czech (apparently not that hard to do if you've got some cash reserves), studying the language, and trying to integrate into the culture somewhat. I wouldn't have needed to make much beyond my passive income from the U.S. teaching English, as rents are pretty low, especially for a chic European capital. But ultimately I decided I just don't want to deal with eight months a year of cold and gray. Which eliminates most of Europe as a full-time living option.

But generally, thumbs up on Prague from me. An altogether decent place to be.

I spent a day in Berlin this time, three days in 2011. Initial impressions jive with Eurobrat's -- a pretty intriguing place. Would like to spend more time there.

I'm going to finish the trip with 10 days at my old standby Croatian clinic getting treatment for the knee, then 40 days in Dublin working on my handball game. People on the Roosh forum, and some here, dismiss Dublin as a place to look for agreeable women. But if I've learned two things on this trip, it's these: (1) the opinions of other people on these forums do not often square with mine; (2) I want a women who speaks English either as a first language, or a strong second. So I'll be keeping my eyes open in Dublin.
I hated Prague. When I went there it was cold and rainy and I stayed in one of those miserable Soviet style hotels and even got stuck in the elevator. The people aren't particularly friendly. It just goes to show you that you have to go to a place yourself and not rely on other people's advice. Different strokes for different folks.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Bobby wrote: Interesting comments, gsjackson. I remember my first time in Thailand in the early 1990s. It was completely jarring, as you say. I couldn't believe it and wanted to get the hell out of there. After about three days I felt a little better and by the end of the week I started to enjoy myself a little and eventually things just worked out fine. But those first few days I just felt so lost. I might as well have been on another planet amongst an alien race.
You're definitely more adaptable than I. I'm two and a half weeks in, and still feel like an extraterrestrial from Mars. And I'm bound and determined not to enjoy a second of it until I leave in four days. Pattaya's just sort of incorrigible, and every foray out into the streets convinces me of it. But I'm embracing the contempt, and the newfound appreciation for where I live that Pattaya has given me. At some point, there was just no way I was going to enjoy it, even if I wanted to. I'm invested in hating on the place.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

gsjackson wrote:
....the opinions of other people on these forums do not often square with mine....
Thanks for the feedback.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

gsjackson wrote:One more point, Jester: If you put a high value on the physical environment, particularly climate, as we older farts tend to do, you are about as well located as you can get in Ensenada. If the squalor factor isn't too high, and the female pulchritude factor isn't too low, Baja is definitely a place I'd be interested in checking out next summer when Tucson starts baking.
Dont want to further hijack the thread, but do feel free to shoot me a PM when you're in the mood.

Or if I'm feeling extroverted we can start a Baja thread when the time comes.
tamdrin12
Freshman Poster

Post by tamdrin12 »

new life... because I like to live on the edge... I don't worry about money like you do.. I just have faith that the right thing will come to me at the right time and I try to live my life (not just enjoying hedonistic pleasures)... Looks like I have a job opportunity in Chiang Rai.... It's supposed to be smaller than Chiang Mai.

Money can come and go.. Just because you have a big savings account doesn't necessarily give you any true security.. Look at what happened in the 2008 economic collapse.. So many people's bank accounts were erased....... We have to live our life.. plan for the future but don't overly stress or try to control things..
Been living abroad for 4 years now. India, Nepal, Taiwan, and Thailand. Currently in Thailand teaching English as my bread and butter.

Check out my online store featuring cool jewelry and items at very reasonable prices from Thailand!

http://thailand-treasures.myshopify.com/collections/all
tamdrin12
Freshman Poster

Post by tamdrin12 »

gsjackson... I can't believe you decided to stay in Pattaya for your whole trip... There are beautiful beaches unpopulated by the amount of trashy tourists you are seeing in Pattaya.. Why didn't you check any of those out??

It's all relative.. for me after India Thailand is not too bad.... I wouldn't recommend you to ever go to India if you have such an adverse reaction to Thailand..

Best wishes on your quest..
Been living abroad for 4 years now. India, Nepal, Taiwan, and Thailand. Currently in Thailand teaching English as my bread and butter.

Check out my online store featuring cool jewelry and items at very reasonable prices from Thailand!

tamdrin12
Freshman Poster

Post by tamdrin12 »

http://www.chiangraitimes.com/swede-lie ... woman.html

This is almost the worst possible outcome of a trip to Thailand.. next to getting murdered or thrown in a Thai prison.

gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

tamdrin12 wrote:gsjackson... I can't believe you decided to stay in Pattaya for your whole trip... There are beautiful beaches unpopulated by the amount of trashy tourists you are seeing in Pattaya.. Why didn't you check any of those out??

It's all relative.. for me after India Thailand is not too bad.... I wouldn't recommend you to ever go to India if you have such an adverse reaction to Thailand..

Best wishes on your quest..
I took three bus trips to Bangkok to get fitted for a suit, and that was enough traveling in Thailand to last me a lifetime. I haven't really engaged Pattaya, just hang out at the pool, and eat nearby. I do take the baht bus occasionally to an upscale mall, and that's more than enough time on the streets. It's just sort of total down time.

No, India isn't on my bucket list.

Best of luck to you. It might have been interesting to see a part of the country that doesn't have so much human pollution, and I hope it's a good experience for you being there.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

tamdrin12 wrote:http://www.chiangraitimes.com/swede-lie ... woman.html

This is almost the worst possible outcome of a trip to Thailand.. next to getting murdered or thrown in a Thai prison.
This is a typical case of a man unwilling to listen what other men telling him about life in Thailand.
Spending money with 'girls' (my bargirl is different') and finally ending pennyless in the street.

He has to blame only himself for his situation.

Every time I am visiting Thailand I see some people like him.

It is a big difference if you visit Thailand just for fun for a few weeks with the intention to return, to work and save money again, or if you consider to relocate in Asia.

If you are serious about relocation, you have to take care of yourself first and forget about 'girls'.

You have to arrange your visa procedures, your local banking saving account in case of emergency (but keep most money outside of Thailand), regulate where to find medical help, reasonable accomodation, how to arrange transport (usually buying a cheap motorcycle) and how to find good and cheap food (and not dining in expensive restaurants) etc. etc.

'Girls' should be the last in your check-list. 'Girls' are simply said not an important issue. If you think, they are really so important, expect yourself soon out of money and back from where you come from.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

I have to say I have a little better opinion of Pattaya after meeting up here last night with Rock, who is very non-judgmental, getting a few drinks under my belt, and learning a lot more about the place from him. It's best not to walk these streets sober with a fully functional sense of smell and discerning judgment.

Will still be quite glad to see Asia in the rear view mirror tomorrow, and get back to Europe.
Bobby
Freshman Poster

Post by Bobby »

gsjackson wrote:I have to say I have a little better opinion of Pattaya after meeting up here last night with Rock, who is very non-judgmental, getting a few drinks under my belt, and learning a lot more about the place from him. It's best not to walk these streets sober with a fully functional sense of smell and discerning judgment.

Will still be quite glad to see Asia in the rear view mirror tomorrow, and get back to Europe.
I'll be there in October. Would have been good to catch up but nice that you could meet up with Rock. Hmm, sounds like you're warming to the madness there just a little.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Bobby wrote:
gsjackson wrote:I have to say I have a little better opinion of Pattaya after meeting up here last night with Rock, who is very non-judgmental, getting a few drinks under my belt, and learning a lot more about the place from him. It's best not to walk these streets sober with a fully functional sense of smell and discerning judgment.

I'll be there in October. Would have been good to catch up but nice that you could meet up with Rock. Hmm, sounds like you're warming to the madness there just a little.
Just a teeny tiny bit. I'd probably sally forth a time or two at night if I had it to do over again. It's definitely a freaking carnival of humanity. Rock's attitude is somewhat infectious. He's very knowledgeable about Asia at this point, and very non-judgmental about it. Just takes it all in like a scientist. Lord knows, the place should be, at the very least, a major learning experience, because it is so very different. Latest adventure was trying to get the taxi driver from Pattaya to find a hotel near the Bangkok airport. Just writing out the hotel name and address in Latinate letters will not get the job done.

Have fun next month.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

I had great fun when I visited Mr Rock in Pattaya last year. I had my first ever post midnight McDonalds, and got totally overwhelmed with the sensory overload that is Walking Street past midnight.

Rock and I met a few British expats who had chosen to live there for most of the year. I think 2 days is enough there to be honest. I was always glad to get back to my base in Bangkok, as I'm more of a big city guy at heart.

Still, Thailand is a good place to live if you want to live in Asia AND want home comforts. Accommodation is plentiful, there are banks everywhere, food is good, hospitals are cheap and there's very little pollution (at least compared to China!).

It's still a hassle getting and keeping a long term visa, but if you're young then the ED visa is still the best route.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
tamdrin12
Freshman Poster

Post by tamdrin12 »

Well.. Looks like I'll be staying in Thailand for a while.. I have a job... Up north. For me Chiang Mai is not such a bad place. It seems to have the right balance of everything.. Not to big a city but still lots to do, natural beauty such as mountains etc around...

I haven't been focusing on girls too much as I've been quit content to just do my own thing. But I started talking to this girl who is working at a coffee shop near my room. We decided to go for beer last night. Lots of flirting and she kissed me on the lips goodbye at the end of the night.

She is 33 and divorced and has 2 kids who don't live with her.. Lol.. and she has worked in a massage parlour before but she says it wasn't a sex one. I bet she has at least given hand jobs for tips before... Anyway I hope this girl isn't looking for a relationship from me as I have no interest in a relationship at this point.

My overall feeling is that Thailand is not a hard place to meet woman at all. Looks like every foreigner has a thai girlfriend from my perspective