Hello All - Heres to being Happier Abroad

Introduce yourself here and let us know who you are.
Forum rules
Welcome. If you are new here, please read the Forum Rules.
QatarDan
Freshman Poster

Hello All - Heres to being Happier Abroad

Post by QatarDan »

Hello guys (and girls?)

New on the board! I am currently working in Qatar. I rotate working for 2 months then a month off. Currently I travel back to the UK which means for a start I pay high rate of tax to the UK government - 40 percent!

I have had two long term partners in the UK. One from 25-30 then 30-34. Me and my last partner drifted apart partly through to me being away so much and partly due to lack of effort on both sides!

So.....

My plan is to spend my month off somewhere which is cheap to live and that I won't be paying for somebody on welfare benefits to sit at home! Currently I am thinking the Philippines. I am not into cheap one night stands so will not be visiting bars or paying for action! Ideally I would like to find a sweet Filipino girl to settle with somewhere in the Philippines. I work here with lots of Filipinos and they all like it back home so it can't be too bad!

Looking at the cost of living in Philippines I could almost retire now! (I'm 34 years old)

Any comments on my plan, good and bad graciously received!

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Welcome Dan.

Congrats on a winning plan for dating (and taxes).

It shouldnt be hard to get your questions answered.

A member here, Pete98146 I think, has a Filipino wife and has been rumored to help sincere guys find Miss Right. I think it involves knowing HOW to intelligently use CherryBlossoms, FilipinaCupid, etc.

OutWest has a Filipina wife , and has offered to introduce sincere brideseekers to good women.

Taco has a Filipina wife, and lives in Mindanao.

DaveWe and MarcosZeitola are the most recent newlyweds with brides from there.

You can PM these guys if they dont see your post here...

Good luck.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Should mention veteran travelers Rock and Winston as well, both have lived and loved in the Phils...
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
QatarDan
Freshman Poster

Post by QatarDan »

cheers mate. I am happy to take any advice. Reading through the forum there is a lot of sour grapes where the person looks to blame the country he is in rather than look at his own self and approach. I am sensible enough to be careful but know that a good life is possible. My friend is engaged and has had a baby with a girl from Cebu who I would rate as an 8 compared to UK women!
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Generally the guys who have married are pretty balanced.

Those who have not, tend to focus on the negatives.
QatarDan
Freshman Poster

Post by QatarDan »

Yep I can tell that mate by just reading through. Pages and pages of people putting blame on the country/women without looking at the way they come across. Women can sense this negativity a mile off if I can sense it through a bloody computer!
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

QatarDan wrote:
Yep I can tell that mate by just reading through. Pages and pages of people putting blame on the country/women without looking at the way they come across. Women can sense this negativity a mile off if I can sense it through a bloody computer!
Really an important point. Can't be emphasized enough.

Many of us have a lot to work on.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Welcome! Do you work in IT? I'd love to find a job overseas, but not sure how to find one.

Why not send your Qatar income to other countries (or leave it in Qatar?).

Going somewhere for a month isn't any use if you want a long term relationship. SE Asian women live for today, if you're not there tomorrow then you're out of the picture.

Why not just go to Thailand for a month of R&R.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
ryanx
Freshman Poster

Post by ryanx »

Jester wrote:
QatarDan wrote:

Sorry to get in the middle of the lovefest between you two. .. But the Philippines stinks. This is from someone who actually loves the country and its people. The living conditions are harsh, the food oh so terrible, the pollution unbearable, shocking poverty all around you, people out to scam you and milk whatever benefit they can get out of you, not to mention noise that never ends and so on. ...I still love the place though.
ryanx
Freshman Poster

Post by ryanx »

Jester wrote:
QatarDan wrote:

Sorry to get in the middle of the lovefest between you two. .. But the Philippines stinks. This is from someone who actually loves the country and its people. The living conditions are harsh, the food oh so terrible, the pollution unbearable, shocking poverty all around you, people out to scam you and milk whatever benefit they can get out of you, not to mention noise that never ends and so on. ...I still love the place though.
hammanta
Junior Poster

Post by hammanta »

ryanx wrote:
Jester wrote:
QatarDan wrote:

Though I'm sure he appreciates your insight, different people adapt to different things. He may very well hate the place or he may very well love it. It's the emphasis a person places on material things and living conditions which determines whether he will adapt properly. Marcos seems to love living in the Philippines whereas Will N and others hate it. Even NewLife didn't mind it that much. There have been things I said I thought I'd enjoy in life and ended up hating them, and things I thought I'd hate and ended up loving them. But its best one finds out for themselves. If the OP is set on going there, then lets let him go. Best not to completely discourage him.

This forum has a lot of useful info but there are so many varied opinions. On one end posters may make the OP believe its a putang paradise whereas others may make him believe everyone is out to F him over. Coming in with either frame of mind could wind up being disastrous. I think its best an individual comes in with an open mind to decipher his own opinions and thoughts as to not be corrupted by others. This goes for both negative and overly optimistic posts. It's really a crap shoot most times. He could end up falling in love or end up being scammed.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

ryanx wrote:
Sorry to get in the middle of the lovefest between you two. ..
No really Ryan, feel free to just jump right in!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
:wink: :wink: :wink:
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Seriously, QatarDan, if you are just going to visit the Phils and meet a lady, it will rock.

As some have posted, sure living there 24/7/365 is quite another matter.

Best authority here on HA for work-in-ME-visit-PH is Ladislav. He lived in Saudi and Oman and did the same thing. If he doesn't see this thread, PM him.
QatarDan
Freshman Poster

Post by QatarDan »

cheers for the feedback guys. I am under no illusion that the Philippines is the land of milk and honey. Yes there are lots of scams there which is the same in any Country where cash is short. I will however not accept that they're all out on a scam. I have several Filipino friends here and they are lovely people. One has adopted 5 kids at home who he is paying to go to university. He started off as a moped taxi driver so he's not from rich stock either. Every time they go home they come back with gifts for others and expect nothing in return. Good luck everyone!
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

QatarDan wrote:cheers for the feedback guys. I am under no illusion that the Philippines is the land of milk and honey. Yes there are lots of scams there which is the same in any Country where cash is short. I will however not accept that they're all out on a scam. I have several Filipino friends here and they are lovely people. One has adopted 5 kids at home who he is paying to go to university. He started off as a moped taxi driver so he's not from rich stock either. Every time they go home they come back with gifts for others and expect nothing in return. Good luck everyone!
OutWest, Pete98146 (?), Taco, DaveWe and MarcosZeitola have all found brides in the Phils. I think a couple guys have said that Pete98146 will give a sincere guy some tips. PM him.