Traveling to the Philippines - Advice?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
komments
Freshman Poster

Traveling to the Philippines - Advice?

Post by komments »

I am 58 and heavy (292 lbs). Happily married with three grown children. I will be bringing my wife to the Philippines in December for a vacation. We plan to spend a day or two in Manila then fly to Cebu. Our hotel is booked for Dec 27th through January 3rd. Fast boat to Tagbilaran (not yet booked - any preferences) where we will stay from the third to the ninth of January.

I would love to hear of suggestions for things to do and see while there. I love to fish, snorkel and eat out (as evidenced by my girth). Not so keen on long walks or mountain climbing.

My wife will want to visit museums and shop. Neither of us are partiers though we might take in a club to enjoy others doing karaoke - you couldn't get me drunk enough to do that even if I did drink.

Since we live on the gulf coast, we are used to hot humid weather but advice on what type of clothes to bring/wear would be appreciated.

I am especially interested in things off the beaten path.
Last edited by komments on October 7th, 2014, 5:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Greg Kellogg
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

I've never been to Bohol so I don't know much about it.

Most tourists that go to Cebu City usually travel north(3 hours bus ride and 1 hour boat ride) to Bantayan Island or Malapascua Island for snorkeling. There's deep sea fishing around Cebu City and some nice hotels close to Cebu airport. Shangri La Resort is one of the nicer resorts I've been to. The climate is similar to Florida so t-shirts, shorts and sandals are recommended.

komments
Freshman Poster

Post by komments »

Thank you. We are already booked into the Royal Eloisa Suites in Lapu Lapu for our Cebu stay. We have a hotel booked in Tagbilaran too. Mainly looking for non-touristy things to do and places to eat.
Greg Kellogg
Hero
Experienced Poster

Re: Traveling to the Philippines - Advice?

Post by Hero »

komments wrote: I am especially interested in thighs off the beaten path.
[/u]
I'm also interested in Filipina thighs, but a nice rack is important too :lol: :lol: :lol:
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

Hero wrote:
[/u]
I'm also interested in Filipina thighs, but a nice rack is important too :lol: :lol: :lol:
Off the beaten path means "away from your wife". Don't worry, Cebu taxi drivers will point you in the right direction.

Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

Taco wrote: Off the beaten path means "away from your wife". Don't worry, Cebu taxi drivers will point you in the right direction.
Ah, that explains the word "beaten" :P
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

komments wrote:I am 58 and heavy (292 lbs). Happily married with three grown children. I will be bringing my wife to the Philippines in December for a vacation. We plan to spend a day or two in Manila then fly to Cebu. Our hotel is booked for Dec 27th through January 3rd. Fast boat to Tagbilaran (not yet booked - any preferences) where we will stay from the third to the ninth of January.

I would love to hear of suggestions for things to do and see while there. I love to fish, snorkel and eat out (as evidenced by my girth). Not so keen on long walks or mountain climbing.

My wife will want to visit museums and shop. Neither of us are partiers though we might take in a club to enjoy others doing karaoke - you couldn't get me drunk enough to do that even if I did drink.

Since we live on the gulf coast, we are used to hot humid weather but advice on what type of clothes to bring/wear would be appreciated.

I am especially interested in thighs off the beaten path.
[/u]
We took the fast ferry to Tag in April; fast and efficient. My recollection is that there were 2 companies that did the fast ferry. I doubt there is much difference other than schedule.

We stayed at Alona beach which is a nice fun area. I have to assume that you will do all the standard things in Bohol: chocolate hills, river cruise, etc. They are worth taking a day out for but probably not any more. If you are adventurous you can journey deeper into Bohol but Alona beach, maybe a day for snorkeling and that day for general sight seeing should do you well.

Your wife may soon find that she needs to be close to you at all times, since you will get flirted with, regardless of age and weight :)
komments
Freshman Poster

Post by komments »

things not thighs - damn tablet. Yeah I had planned the Chocolate Hills, River Cruise with lunch, and beach with snorkeling. I can't find anything on-line about fishing though. Are the movies in English and first runs? Also, I do plan in partaking of the oh so inexpensive massages. Might even try a 4 hands massage since they appear to be so cheap there.
Greg Kellogg
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

komments wrote:things not thighs - damn tablet. Yeah I had planned the Chocolate Hills, River Cruise with lunch, and beach with snorkeling. I can't find anything on-line about fishing though. Are the movies in English and first runs? Also, I do plan in partaking of the oh so inexpensive massages. Might even try a 4 hands massage since they appear to be so cheap there.
Movies in Cebu are. Lots of smilers cities don't even have a theater.

Massage is everywhere - try one on the beach when you go to Alona.
komments
Freshman Poster

Post by komments »

I just quoted this one to get the photo up again. Did I mention I married a Latina? No way am I doing that crap. Even at my age I value certain parts of my anatomy to much to risk her going Lorena Bobbitt on me. :D
Taco wrote:
Hero wrote:
[/u]
Off the beaten path means "away from your wife". Don't worry, Cebu taxi drivers will point you in the right direction.

Greg Kellogg
komments
Freshman Poster

Post by komments »

BTW Dave, your blog is great. After reading so much negative on here it is refreshing to get a positive POV. Not sure where you live, but if you are close to where we are staying I would love to treat you and Janet to dinner one evening.
Greg Kellogg
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

komments wrote:BTW Dave, your blog is great. After reading so much negative on here it is refreshing to get a positive POV. Not sure where you live, but if you are close to where we are staying I would love to treat you and Janet to dinner one evening.
Thanks for the nice words, Greg. Unfortunately we do not live in the Philippines - yet. Janet is from Cebu (not the city) and we do visit as often as we can and in a couple years...
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Hero wrote:
[/u]
nice
:lol:
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

komments wrote:I just quoted this one to get the photo up again....

+1
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

Jester wrote:
komments wrote:I just quoted this one to get the photo up again....

+1
To get WHAT up again?