I'm going to Disney World!

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

I'm going to Disney World!

Post by abcdavid01 »

I just got accepted for a paid college internship at Disney World Florida. I was supposed to graduate next semester, but now I'll be doing this instead. My role is "Hopper" which basically means working wherever they need me.

Talking about my experience in China and teaching ten year olds English helped a lot in my interview. I was feeling pretty down today and homesick for China. But this made everything better! I also mentioned seeing Disney English schools over in Shanghai. They're real English schools hosted by Disney and only available in Chinese cities so far. I'm really looking forward to going to Disney World Shanghai when that opens up, probably late next year.

Eventually, after the internship, I'll finish another semester to graduate college and then I'm looking to head abroad again. Maybe a year or a year and a half from now? I want to visit Europe (I'm a History major, so the tourist sites are just must-see) and was thinking France or Carnivale in Italy. But I'm keeping up studying Chinese and I'd like to see more of it and also Malaysia/Singapore. That's so I can find out where I'd like to settle down, actually start looking for love, etc.

And the other day I volunteered at the study abroad fair at my college. I worked with a representative for the company that hosted my program in China. Guy was thirty years old and a manager of institutional (college) relations. Said he'd been to China and Russia and a bunch of other places. Cool dude. He said I was doing his job for him and even let me take over while he went on lunch break. So I'm hoping I was able to get some of my fellow students hooked on the Happier Abroad dream. The study abroad company I went with also has an English teaching program in China for graduates. I'm sure I'd be a shoe-in.

Oh, and my mom's in China right now for three weeks. She's visiting second tier cities.

I feel like I've come a long way since joining this board. Thanks for all the encouragement over the years!

So...how have you guys all been? :)
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Great abcdavid! I'm happy for you!
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MarcosZeitola »

You are a goalgetter my friend, and you are working towards success. You're going places and a few years from now I am certain you will find a good woman, a good job and a good place to settle down and live a happy life.

Stories like yours should inspire the likes of Cornfed and Tsar to go out there and do more. Hell, stories like yours are even inspiring to some of the older members I bet. It's always fun to see someone succeed abroad. To see someone discover new horizons and make exciting plans.

Good luck on your journey, wherever it will take you. And keep us updated over the course of the next months and years. I hope you'll be able to return to the Far East soon. I know the feeling of homesickness that comes with being away from it... so I'll give you one term. One term, two words: delayed gratification. ;)
On "Faux-Tradionalists" and why they're heading nowhere: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=37&t=29144
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on April 20th, 2020, 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Re: I'm going to Disney World!

Post by S_Parc »

abcdavid01 wrote:I just got accepted for a paid college internship at Disney World Florida. I was supposed to graduate next semester, but now I'll be doing this instead. My role is "Hopper" which basically means working wherever they need me.

Talking about my experience in China and teaching ten year olds English helped a lot in my interview. I was feeling pretty down today and homesick for China. But this made everything better! I also mentioned seeing Disney English schools over in Shanghai. They're real English schools hosted by Disney and only available in Chinese cities so far. I'm really looking forward to going to Disney World Shanghai when that opens up, probably late next year.
You've got your foot in the door, awesome 8) !

And this is where it all begins ... whenever you make a new acquaintance, always keep his (or her) contact details, so no matter where you go afterwards, you can always send a 'hello' email, once a year to keep in touch.

Great work!

Of course, I've got nothing to update. Mel and I are starting the *happily ever after* phase of our lives but that's already been in the works for some time.
Many years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

Beware of long term engagements with AWs, you may find yourself in a coffin.

AB discussion thread

BTW, despite settling down with an AW, myself, the warning is still in effect.