Welcome to our new forum! Here are some new features.

Announcements and site updates.
Forum rules
Welcome. If you are new here, please read the Forum Rules.
Winston
Site Admin

Welcome to our new forum! Here are some new features.

Post by Winston »

Hi all,
Welcome to the new upgraded Happier Abroad Forum. The upgrade is now complete.

I'm sorry it took so many hours. But it was a lot more complicated than I thought and I ran into a lot more problems than I thought, so I had to keep searching support topics on the phpbb support forums to find solutions to those problems.

It wasn't just about upgrading the forum software. The forum database had to be converted as well, and that took a long time. As you know, when it comes to computers and internet, everything takes longer than you think and more problems come up than you expect.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy this new theme. It's called Prosilver and is the latest version as well as the default version of phpbb3. The forum should load a lot faster now that it's been upgraded. Hope your browsing experience is enhanced now.

There are many kinks, tweaks and modifications that have to be made in this new forum to make it like it was before. They will be done gradually, so please be patient. Thanks.

Here are some of the new features in this forum version:

- To put someone on the ignore list, go to your User Control Panel linked at the top. Then select "Friends and Foes" and add that person to your Foes list. After that, you will not see his posts.

There is also a Friends list that you can add a person to. Also, if you go to a username's profile, you can also add that person as a Friend or Foe from there.

- Please go to your User Control Panel (linked at the top below the header) and set your board preferences and posting defaults to make sure they are what you want. Here is the direct link to it: ucp.php

- You can now send a PM to multiple recipients. You just have to type in the username in the Send field and then click the Add button next to it. Note that you MUST click the Add button to add the recipient. Merely typing the username in the send field without adding it will NOT send the message to that person.

- There is now a View Active Topics link in the header of the forum, which will bring up a list of the latest active topics.

- Unread posts will now be kept unread until you either read them or mark them as read. In the previous version of the forum, they were marked unread as soon as you logged out. That bug no longer applies.

- You can search within topics and boards by using the search field at the top of them.

- I am working on getting your avatars to work. I'm not sure if I can though. If I can't, you will just have to reupload them.

- To use the quick reply feature, click on the quick reply button at the bottom of each topic thread to open up the quick reply post form.

- When you compose a post, you can save it as a draft to finish later. You will see a draft button at the bottom of the post form.

- In the top right corner of each post, besides the quote button, you will notice an exclamation mark button. This is if you want to report a post or flag it for moderator review. Once you report a post, it will go into a moderation queue to be reviewed by a moderator.

There are many other new features as well. Too many to list. You will have to discover them for yourself. For now, try clicking new links and buttons to familiarize yourself with the new forum and its functionality. Play around with it a bit. A lot of things can be figured out if you do that.

If there are any questions or issues with the new forum version, please post them in this thread.

Thanks and enjoy the new forum!

Winston
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Re: Welcome to the new upgraded forum! Some new features.

Post by eurobrat »

A lot of features are still disabled.

Please turn on BBCode.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

I have to tell you Winston, it looks horrible so far. Maybe I will get used it after a while. I will check out the functions to see how they work.

I miss the color scheme and layout of the old forum but I know you had to upgrade due to the old forum slowing down.
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

eurobrat wrote:A lot of features are still disabled.

Please turn on BBCode.
Ok I will. There are many kinks and bugs to work out. Some I know how to fix. Others I have to seek answers to on the phpbb support forum. And others don't make sense so I have to open lots of files to investigate and problem-solve while doing a lot of trial and error. I told you guys that wanted to upgrade that it would be messy. lol

Computers are a lot more complicated than you think. You guys are lucky you don't have to do this sort of thing. It's more tedious and involves more factors and files than you can imagine.
jamesbond wrote:I have to tell you Winston, it looks horrible so far. Maybe I will get used it after a while. I will check out the functions to see how they work.

I miss the color scheme and layout of the old forum but I know you had to upgrade due to the old forum slowing down.
I know. I will work on changing the color scheme to match the other forum so that the blue looks the same at least.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

I don't mind the colors at all the performance is great 1000% faster. I think this was a solid step forward, maybe after you're done we can for the next project get my chat going.

The BBCode still doesn't work, no smileys or anything show up when I hit the reply button.
Franco
Freshman Poster

Post by Franco »

Winston! I like the new look. The format will take time to get adjusted. It's alot faster and sleek design. Maybe I'm the only one who likes it. I'm weird like that.

Upgrades never cease.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

eurobrat wrote:I don't mind the colors at all the performance is great 1000% faster. I think this was a solid step forward, maybe after you're done we can for the next project get my chat going.

The BBCode still doesn't work, no smileys or anything show up when I hit the reply button.
It does work. The smilies are on the right of the post form. And the YouTube embed link works, but it doesn't embed existing videos. It seems I have to edit the post and resubmit them for the videos to show. Weird. I'll ask the support forum to see what can be done about that.

Yeah I will put your chat mod on the to do list.

Jamesbond, sorry but I'm going to have to decrease the size of avatars a little bit. The 200x300 size before made them too big and too distracting from the posts. Avatars were meant to be cute little images, not large images.

Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

When clicking on

Latest 100 Topics,

and click on topics on the list

it is redirecting to a wrong forum

http://www.debunkingskeptics.com

For example

posting.php?mode=reply&f=33&t=24873

will redirct to:

http://www.debunkingskeptics.com/forum/ ... 33&t=24873

Otherwise it works much faster than ever before.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

Yohan wrote:When clicking on

Latest 100 Topics,

For example

will redirct to:

***1****** Yohan is correct. Here's absolute proof: Image
***2****** And the QUOTES-IN-REPLY section isn't working, The SMILES and the BBCODE are still OFF.
Last edited by E Irizarry R&B Singer on October 15th, 2014, 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Array9
Freshman Poster

Post by Array9 »

Thank you Winston.

One issue is that when you click on the Latest 100 Topics link, when you click on a thread it says The requested topic does not exist.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

If you get the reply, that the requested topic does not exist, then change in the URL
www.debunkingskeptics.com

to

happierabroad.com

and it will find the topic.

Something is wrong about redirecting when clicking on 'Latest 100 Topics'
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

Here the "mouse-over JavaScript" is not pointing to the right links which signify the mouse-over gif/png/jpeg
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote:
Yohan wrote:When clicking on

Latest 100 Topics,

For example

will redirct to:

***1****** Yohan is correct. Here's absolute proof: Image
***2****** And the QUOTES-IN-REPLY section isn't working, The SMILES and the BBCODE are still OFF.
Yeah I know about that. A lot of the template files here were copied over from my other forum to save me the trouble of having to edit them all. I just have to fix those so the links work correctly.

The BB codes and smilies do work. In your post, they were check marked to turn off in the post form. I fixed them. Check your UCP control panel. You may have them turned off by default.

ucp.php

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote:Image

Here the "mouse-over JavaScript" is not pointing to the right links which signify the mouse-over gif/png/jpeg
Those buttons were just uploaded. It takes a while for the cache of the forum to load them correctly. This new version of the forum utilizes a method of storing templates in the cache so that it will load faster. Every time I make a change, I have to clear the cache. So this theme is a lot more complicated and hence why I was reluctant to switch to it.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

eurobrat wrote:A lot of features are still disabled.

Please turn on BBCode.
When I edit your posts, I see that you have BB codes and smilies turned off below your post form. For some reason, they seem to be off by default for you. Go to your UCP panel and turn them on. It's linked at the top left of the forum under the logo and is called the User Control Panel.