Why is America not family-oriented?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Temprano26
Freshman Poster

Why is America not family-oriented?

Post by Temprano26 »

I am not talking about gay marriage destroying the family because I don't think it does. I am talking about how nobody is interested in their family anymore. I see my family on holidays and I watch them eat. They have nothing interesting to say and it is more like a chore that I put myself through.
My grandmother is not someone I talk to about anything I care about. Her best advice is "you are only as happy as you wanna be". *eyeroll*
My uncle had two consecutive heart attacks and even then I was more concerned about the failing health of my recently deceased 19 year old cat. A cat matters to me more than an uncle. How do you explain that?

My family is just too separated to even call each other anymore. Every other culture bases life around family. Daughters love their fathers and see their mothers as role models. What happened to that?
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Why is America not family-oriented?

Post by MrMan »

Temprano26 wrote: My uncle had two consecutive heart attacks and even then I was more concerned about the failing health of my recently deceased 19 year old cat. A cat matters to me more than an uncle. How do you explain that?
Maybe you need to develop empathy and get your priorities straight.
My family is just too separated to even call each other anymore. Every other culture bases life around family. Daughters love their fathers and see their mothers as role models. What happened to that?
Too much TV? A long culture of individualism from all those single male trappers out in the wild? Feminism? The sexual revolution?
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

That's a good question. I've asked myself that more than once- maybe it has something to do with fixating on work too much? Everything revolves around the job here & that's seen as the highest priority. Sure, people say "No, it's not like that," but it is. The argument "I've got to pay my bills" doesn't really make sense, either- since they're working to support things that they never have the time to enjoy. Making payments on a house that they're never in, because they're always out working.

Another thing is that they'd have to focus on something other than themselves. Maybe being self-centered is part of it?
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Families have been systematically broken down by evil Western regimes since WWII. First extended families were split up with suburban design and inflating and deflating the real estate and job markets in various places to get people to move around. Then the nuclear family unit was cracked with feminism, anti-family courts and welfare. Finally in the period from around 1950-1985, families were rendered irrelevant from a practical point of view by high-paying jobs, various cost of living subsidies, efficient policing and so on, so it was more profitable to invest in the system rather than your family.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on April 17th, 2020, 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drealm
Junior Poster

Post by drealm »

Because America's traditional network was religion based and other societies are clan based. When people gave up on religion in America there was no replacement. A strong religious network will beat a strong clan network, but a mediocre clan network like in China will still infinitely surpass no network.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

Good points, Ghost.

Drealm: A point about the whole religious thing in America is that it also seemed to be inclined the other way. At the same time as being religious, it was also very geared toward blowing off religion. Another point is that it's very much aligned in the "reality is what I say it is" fashion. This "Thinking by Adjucation" is linked to that, I think. It's linked simply because religion says "Something is this way" (it's not WHAT it says something is, it's the IS part). They have a problem with EXTANT CIRCUMSTANCES. The thing is: someone can't think that reality is what they say it is & notice when something isn't going their way. Someone does not do other than engage in activities when they see a situation, notice what they don't like, deduce a way of altering this situation, and attempt to make things go this way.

I was just recently reading something about OCD (and probably OCPD- seems to be the same thing, but outwardly aggressive about it). One thing it was talking about was Though-Action Fusion, where someone thinks that thinking about something & doing it are the same thing. Presumably, it would also register that thinking about someone else doing something is the same as them actually doing it.
Another thing was the idea that thinking about negative things would cause them to occur. Doesn't this sound a lot like the stuff that goes on now? This near-mechanical way of thinking & the control-freak tendancies?

It's interesting to me that a few of these traits are things that sound quite a bit like that those self-help things that were so popular in fairly recent times & all those "assertiveness" workshops that people would take (they'd throw bits of that into general schooling, as well). Didn't people talk quite frequently about "thinking posititve so that positive things will happen"? I get not sabotaging your efforts before you even start them by thinking they're hopeless & not even bothering, but come on- that's basically thinking you'll make things happen by imagination alone. People would say: "I'm just talking about what I'M doing" (being "aggressive" & imposing things on someone with a less confrontational tone- more a tone of self-governance & that someone else is the oppressor for countering what they're trying to do). Now it seems that it's fairly common to run into people that feel that they have arbitrary discretion & that they "fire at will."

Come to think of it, it's also fairly common to run into people with the thinking that (or, at least, an argument that amounts to) "the record button gets hit after I do something." They'll start some shit, then someone will protect themselves, then the instigator acts like an innocent victim. Add to this, all the efforts to increase self-esteem that seems to have the effect of eroding quality control (because someone maybe thinks that they're wonderful no matter what they do). Someone's probably not going to want to lose that "high" they get from this self-esteem, either- so it's also kind of like a drug addiction. Isn't it odd that they don't feel good about things working out well? I'd think it would feel good for someone to not be so arrogant that they didn't catch their own mistakes & to avert whatever problems they would have encountered while blinded to these things- particularly if it would have connected to their family or other people they cared about.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

This might have something to do with it.

Worst Moms
http://www.ijreview.com/2014/05/138217- ... e-selfies/

Last edited by Taco on October 20th, 2014, 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paranoia is just having the right information. - William S. Burroughs
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

WHAT THE f**k?!!!! HOLY JUMPING SHIT! WHAT IN THE BLUE f**k IS WRONG WITH THOSE WOMEN?! THEY TAKE NAKED PHOTOS OF THEMSELVES WITH THEIR KIDS IN THE ROOM?! THAT'S PRETTY f***ing CREEPY! DOESN'T IT OCCUR TO THEM THAT THEIR KID WOULDN'T WANT TO SEE THAT ANYWAY?!
Anatol
Junior Poster

Post by Anatol »

Hello,

I am not going to look at the photos in the web-link but the photographs in the messages are enough to say ~ even after such mentally sick females {(and their mentally sick men who allowed them to become this way)}, the world wants to befriend U.S.A. Obviously an abnormal reaction by the world, since it's well-aware of what goes on here in America. Hence.......

[~} If I was the Prime Minister of my homeland Spain, I would give 24 hours for every American to be out of my nation and NEVER come back! Any American found in Spain after that would have his head cut-off.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

Anatol wrote:
[~} If I was the Prime Minister of my homeland Spain, I would give 24 hours for every American to be out of my nation and NEVER come back! Any American found in Spain after that would have his head cut-off.
Just make them run with the bulls.

Paranoia is just having the right information. - William S. Burroughs
Anatol
Junior Poster

Post by Anatol »

Taco wrote:
Anatol wrote:
Just make them run with the bulls.
Hello,

I never agreed with what goes on in my country's Pampallouna and Barcellona regarding bulls. It's okay if they're mad enough to do it. But I never want a part of it.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

These are all brilliant and insightful comments. Too bad we can't rate them yet.

The lack of a close family in America is mostly with white Americans. Asian and Hispanic families are still very close knit. It's white American families that lack closeness. When you are with them, you can sense it. There's no real warmth or closeness or kindness in white American families. They're like a group of friends.

I guess consumerism has replaced everything in America, including family and soul. It's very sad. Americans are like cold shells nowadays. They prefer dogs to other humans. It's very upside down.

The last American TV show that taught good family values was probably "Full House" in the 1990's.

America has many false teachings, such as "You should not need others. You should be independent." That's stupid and untrue. Of course people need others, especially family. Humans are not meant to be solitary. Humans have been clannish and tribal for thousands of years. No culture outside of American would say that you should not need others. It makes no sense, and is friggin weird.

I guess with consumerism and automatization, people can survive physically without families, but it would be a lonely unhappy existence. But America doesn't care if you are lonely or unhappy. It just wants you to consume, consume, consume! So it prefers you to be alone and unhappy so you will consume more. It's really sick.

If America would stop preaching that "You should not need others" then people wouldn't think that way. But it won't. America wants everyone to be selfish and self-absorbed. That way, no one will start an armed revolution. In the historical past, when people had no consumerism to live for, they would be more apt to start armed revolutions cause they had nothing else to live for or do when they were at a dead end or unhappy. But modern consumerism distracts Americans to the point where they will never seriously think about starting any kind of armed revolution. With consumerism being the focus of life, events such as the French Revolution won't happen.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I sent this insightful thread to our Facebook group. Here is a great response and analogy.

These are great points. Also, in the US, if you do not work, you are considered more or less worthless. People measure themselves and others by the amount of income and the net worth they have. And with that attitude, you never have enough. The American lifestyle reminds me of the "hungry ghosts" that Buddhist texts describe: The Hungry Ghosts are in a form of Hell, because no matter how much they eat, they remain hungry and searching for food.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

Winston wrote:I sent this insightful thread to our Facebook group. Here is a great response and analogy.

These are great points. Also, in the US, if you do not work, you are considered more or less worthless. People measure themselves and others by the amount of income and the net worth they have. And with that attitude, you never have enough. The American lifestyle reminds me of the "hungry ghosts" that Buddhist texts describe: The Hungry Ghosts are in a form of Hell, because no matter how much they eat, they remain hungry and searching for food.

oooooooooo

"
Time to Hide!