Is it really true that black people don't tip?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Bstyle
Freshman Poster

Re: Is it really true that black people don't tip?

Post by Bstyle »

I delivered pizzas in NYC and when I moved to the west coast I worked as a waiter in a very diverse part of socal. I had plenty of experience with white, black, Vietnamese, Filipino, Chinese, Indian and Mexican customers. The worst tippers were Indians. Female college students and Sunday morning church goers were also really bad. Black people might not tip as well as some races but they didn't stand out as bad tippers the way that those groups did. Indian customers especially annoyed me because not only were they bad tippers but they were really fussy and had often drove BMWs or Lexus and had high paying jobs.

Having lived in Asia for 7 years though, I have mixed feelings about the whole tipping thing so I get what Winston and Irizarry are saying. I ordered a $10 pizza the other day, delivery cost $3 and when I gave him a 2 dollar tip he gave me a nasty look. As it is, 5 dollars delivery for a 10 dollar pizza is too much. Some delivery guys and waitresses definitely have an entitlement complex. The only issue is that tipped employees are legally paid below minimum wage in most states in the US, so they kind of depend on tips to survive.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Tips are an annoyance in many countries, however USA is the only country I know where waiters and some other employees are aggressively demanding tips, sometimes even mentioned on the receipt.

Something is wrong with the law in USA, the minimum wage does not apply to some jobs, like waiters.

In most countries you give what you like, mostly some coins or so, AFTER you receive the full change in a restaurant etc.

Here in Japan, tipping is unknown. The change will given exactly according to the invoice, regardless if in restaurants, gas-stations, taxi driver, delivery services etc. Japan is expensive, but minimum wages are respected everywhere, a custom to make a living out of tipping does not exist.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

Thank you Yohan!!!!

B-Style...what's new? We meet again, but NO hard feelings are there. We have squashed that the other month. However, I will have to say that you have to understand the kind of squalor Indians (maybe not those non-tipping Indians specifically) see Indians live in. They don't want to waste money on tipping, which seems like they think is wasting money. I maybe wrong, but I cannot imagine anything else as to why.
Mr.Darcy
Freshman Poster

Post by Mr.Darcy »

I currently deliver pizzas as a part time job in college. On average, most black people do not tip. Especially black women, they are the worst. In addition, blacks are more demanding for their orders too and will chimp for no reason. If the name sounds black than I take it last on the list regardless of how old the order is. However, not just blacks are horrible tippers. The worst are black women, young/teenaged white girls, and black males. Pretty much, if it is a young american woman than I am screwed out of gas money.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Mr.Darcy wrote:I currently deliver pizzas as a part time job in college. On average, most black people do not tip. Especially black women, they are the worst. In addition, blacks are more demanding for their orders too and will chimp for no reason. If the name sounds black than I take it last on the list regardless of how old the order is. However, not just blacks are horrible tippers. The worst are black women, young/teenaged white girls, and black males. Pretty much, if it is a young american woman than I am screwed out of gas money.
Why don't you blame your employer, whom is too cheap to pay you more? Yeap. You're Black, you work for a Tennessee a.sshole employer, therefore you'd be screwed out of job if your boss felt you were being insubordinate to him/her. Just keep that in mind everytime you complain about Blacks and young teenage White girls being the worst tippers.
Mr.Darcy
Freshman Poster

Post by Mr.Darcy »

E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote:
Mr.Darcy wrote:I currently deliver pizzas as a part time job in college. On average, most black people do not tip. Especially black women, they are the worst. In addition, blacks are more demanding for their orders too and will chimp for no reason. If the name sounds black than I take it last on the list regardless of how old the order is. However, not just blacks are horrible tippers. The worst are black women, young/teenaged white girls, and black males. Pretty much, if it is a young american woman than I am screwed out of gas money.
Why don't you blame your employer, whom is too cheap to pay you more? Yeap. You're Black, you work for a Tennessee a.sshole employer, therefore you'd be screwed out of job if your boss felt you were being insubordinate to him/her. Just keep that in mind everytime you complain about Blacks and young teenage White girls being the worst tippers.
Yes, but I like my job and I do not want to work another one. Rather yall like it or not, tipping is an American custom. If yall do not agree with it than send a letter to your legislator or just don't eat out. I work a tip dependable job, so when yall stiff us out of anger with the system than yall are just hurting a person trying to get by in life. People that cannot afford to tip have no excuse to be eating out.
FusionX20
Freshman Poster

Post by FusionX20 »

It's the 21st century so I don't think any of history matters. I think it's just in their cult, a good amount of blacks are ghetto and rude b/c they were raised that way.
Been at the mercy of western society since childhood.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

FusionX20 wrote:It's the 21st century so I don't think any of history matters. I think it's just in their cult, a good amount of blacks are ghetto and rude b/c they were raised that way.
Yeah I know; you're right. I"m more upset with how tipping should be a world-reknown thing by American sentiment than people that complain that Blacks don't tip TBTH. I'm just tired of these "American customs" which just mitigate people from being down-to-Earth. America f.ucks up everything it comes in contact with.
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

Post by NorthAmericanguy »

Temprano26 wrote:I have a buddy who is a server and all his friends are servers too. They declare adamantly that black people don't tip. I worked at a Movie Tavern and one of the servers said the same thing - she said always be mindful of ghetto thug types because they might walk out on their tabs.
I suppose they have run into 50 black people that don't tip and thus make it a generalization based on experience more than racism. They think political correctness perpetuates the system by giving people the excuse to pull the race card.

I don't assume that to be fact until I get some hardcore stats on that. I am not saying it is entirely false but I won't say it is entirely true either.
I have a business, and I have come to see that how people view money, and spend it, is largely cultural. My BEST customers are Western Europeans because they just pay whatever the price is, and they often put in an extra tip. Jewish people are good to do business with as well.

However, Blacks, Asians, Indians, and Eastern Europeans are a whole different game:

Blacks expect top quality service, but when it comes time for them to pay, and show an appreciation for your service, they complain about the price and they don't tip well, or at all.

On the other hand, across-the-board, Asians, Indians and Eastern Europeans are so unbelievably cheap that they don't even patron any businesses where they live, so you don't even have to worry about them not leaving a tip, say, if you're working at Applebee's because they're not going to set foot in your store anyway.

So it depends on how you look at it, with blacks, you will get business from most of the group, but few will tip well within the group, but with Asians, Indians and Eastern Europeans, you're not going to get any business at all from the bulk of them. Take your pick.
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

Usually when I am dealing with a black person I will tip them even if I am the one providing a service for them.
Last edited by Moretorque on October 27th, 2014, 4:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Time to Hide!
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

Here's cheap Pete.

Paranoia is just having the right information. - William S. Burroughs