Puerto Rico - Worth visiting?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Latin America, Mexico, or Central America.
abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Puerto Rico - Worth visiting?

Post by abcdavid01 »

So I'm starting an internship in Orlando next January and I was looking at flights from around New York (Newark to be precise). Anyway, one of the flights had a layover in San Juan and I thought, well why not make a go of it? Is Puerto Rico worth visiting? Could I expect to find a cheap hostel? What would budget be like? The most important thing is simply if it's worth visiting for a few days or a week. I'd be doing real touristy stuff if I went.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

zacb
Experienced Poster

Re: Puerto Rico - Worth visiting?

Post by zacb »

abcdavid01 wrote:So I'm starting an internship in Orlando next January and I was looking at flights from around New York (Newark to be precise). Anyway, one of the flights had a layover in San Juan and I thought, well why not make a go of it? Is Puerto Rico worth visiting? Could I expect to find a cheap hostel? What would budget be like? The most important thing is simply if it's worth visiting for a few days or a week. I'd be doing real touristy stuff if I went.
Well, I know San Juan has a decent night life, so you could have a little fun there. Puerto Rico may be good as a business flag for flag theory, as you only pay territorial taxes on income derived from Puerto Rico. There are no capital gains taxes, thus why a few financial firms are heading there. They are not subject to US minimum wage laws, Obamacare, as well as other burdensome laws thrust upon them by the feds. From what I understand crime is a bit high. Might be a good place to smuggle grey market goods through, but I am not sure about all the regulations. I believe they have free trade agreements separate from the US, which could become handy in arbitrage.
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Puerto Rico - Worth visiting?

Post by Jester »

zacb wrote:
Puerto Rico may be good as a business flag for flag theory, as you only pay territorial taxes on income derived from Puerto Rico. There are no capital gains taxes, thus why a few financial firms are heading there.
I think some pharmaceutical firms headed there, and some traders too.

As I see it with the new flat 5% income tax (or whatever they have there), it would be a great location for
--an American trading securities or commodities or real estate on a long-term basis
--an American selling personal services into the US, who is earning a LOT MORE than the 97,600 net earned income that you can exclude as an American just by moving anywhere abroad

It MAY also be good for
-- a foreign company that sells services into the US
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."