Foreigners vs. Locals in the Philippines

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
davewe
Experienced Poster

Foreigners vs. Locals in the Philippines

Post by davewe »

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Re: Foreigners vs. Locals in the Philippines

Post by newlifeinphilippines »

nice article.

Did she want to live in the u.s originally or was she on the fence and has her feelings changed over time?
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

newlifeinphilippines wrote:nice article.

Did she want to live in the u.s originally or was she on the fence and has her feelings changed over time?
Assume you are referring to my wife. I think she was OK either way - moving to the US or me coming to Phils. But since I knew it would be a couple years before I was ready to expat, it worked better this way. The same is true in reverse now that she is here: she's happy to eventually be moving "home" but if I said that I changed my mind and wanted to stay in the US or move to another country, she'd probably be good with that too.

The biggest problem is trying to convince her that there are nice places in the Philippines not on Cebu Island. She'd be happier living 5 hours away from her family as long as it is part of Cebu, rather than less than 2 hours away in Dumaguete (on Negros). And while we have traveled to Mindanao and had a great time, she is truly scared of Mindanao.
Last edited by davewe on November 4th, 2014, 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

davewe wrote:

Assume you are referring to my wife. I think she was OK either way - moving to the US or me coming to Phils. But since I knew it would be a couple years before I was ready to expat, it worked better this way. The same is true in reverse now that she is here: she's happy to eventually be moving "home" but if I said that I changed my mind and wanted to stay in the US or move to another country, she's probably be good with that too.

The biggest problem is trying to convince her that there are nice places in the Philippines not on Cebu Island. She's be happier living 5 hours away from her family as long as it is part of Cebu, rather than less than 2 hours away in Dumaguete (on Negros). And while we have traveled to Mindanao and had a great time, she is truly scared of Mindanao.
Do you really want to move to PI still? You planning on moving to a beach?
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

newlifeinphilippines wrote:
davewe wrote:

Assume you are referring to my wife. I think she was OK either way - moving to the US or me coming to Phils. But since I knew it would be a couple years before I was ready to expat, it worked better this way. The same is true in reverse now that she is here: she's happy to eventually be moving "home" but if I said that I changed my mind and wanted to stay in the US or move to another country, she's probably be good with that too.

The biggest problem is trying to convince her that there are nice places in the Philippines not on Cebu Island. She's be happier living 5 hours away from her family as long as it is part of Cebu, rather than less than 2 hours away in Dumaguete (on Negros). And while we have traveled to Mindanao and had a great time, she is truly scared of Mindanao.
Do you really want to move to PI still? You planning on moving to a beach?
Planning? Yes. Where exactly - not sure. Will it be near a beach? Hard not to be. But we don't want to live on a beach.
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

My problem with a beach is its usually not near a mall (a decent one) or taxis it could get quite boring after awhile. There are some in cebu in the cities though and im sure on other islands too though.

THe other problem is security. Not sure how safe it is sitting with a house on a beach. I remember someone on some forum maybet it was here said the neighbors were giving all kinds of trouble to some guy who had a house on a beach.
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

Like I mentioned before, we don't want to live on a beach, but certainly I want access to a beach. It's a country of 7100 islands. You won't be too far from a beach :)

The biggest reasons for us not to live on a beach are: cost (land prices are much higher); and weather (typhoon hits and you're the first to go). I prefer an overlooking area. Valencia, outside of Dumaguete, is my idea of a great view of the ocean!
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

davewe wrote:Like I mentioned before, we don't want to live on a beach, but certainly I want access to a beach. It's a country of 7100 islands. You won't be too far from a beach :)

The biggest reasons for us not to live on a beach are: cost (land prices are much higher); and weather (typhoon hits and you're the first to go). I prefer an overlooking area. Valencia, outside of Dumaguete, is my idea of a great view of the ocean!
aren't places like dumaguete immune from typhoon? There was a typhoon that went directly over the middle of cebu though back in the 80's i wonder how much that would effect negros though if you were on the beach.
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

newlifeinphilippines wrote:
davewe wrote:Like I mentioned before, we don't want to live on a beach, but certainly I want access to a beach. It's a country of 7100 islands. You won't be too far from a beach :)

aren't places like dumaguete immune from typhoon? There was a typhoon that went directly over the middle of cebu though back in the 80's i wonder how much that would effect negros though if you were on the beach.
While typhoon Yolanda didn't do much damage to Duma, Pablo (Dec. 2012) hit it pretty badly. So no, it's not immune.

For me, living directly on a beach is not that compelling when I consider the other factors.