US Common Core education, got kids?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

US Common Core education, got kids?

Post by Moretorque »

I have been looking at the CC education curriculum and cannot believe they would do this to children.
Time to Hide!

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: US Common Core education, got kids?

Post by MarcosZeitola »

Which is exactly why a lot of people who reside in the US with their children choose to home-school them. If you are able to ensure they get to socialize with their peers some place else besides school, I am sure this option works just as well. You have the ability to protect them from indoctrination, and a lot of other negative influences this way. I have heard from people who met adults who were home schooled as kids, and plenty of them turned out to be fine young men and women. If I did live in America, based on all the stories I have read, this is probably how I would do things.
On "Faux-Tradionalists" and why they're heading nowhere: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=37&t=29144
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

I was shocked when I saw how they were teaching math. To do that to children in plan evil.
Time to Hide!
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

I'd say that I'm among that final generation of adults, where one's K-12 education was actually somewhat 'ok'.

In reality, even I could have done the homeschooling route, as CLEP exams and such, are assessment tools for one's progress outside of the system.

Here's my advice thread for American parents, raising their boys in the USA.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25093

I'd say, the only real reason for one to be in the school system, for a certain period of time, like till the ages of 9-10, is to understand how society works, meaning that it full of idiots who follow around ppl like mindless automatrons.
Many years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

Beware of long term engagements with AWs, you may find yourself in a coffin.

AB discussion thread

BTW, despite settling down with an AW, myself, the warning is still in effect.
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

Thanks, the math was like designed to make them not want to learn.
Time to Hide!
pandabear
Veteran Poster

Post by pandabear »

This is a big improvement over that ridiculous "No Child Left Behind" nonsense.
hammanta
Junior Poster

Post by hammanta »

pandabear wrote:This is a big improvement over that ridiculous "No Child Left Behind" nonsense.
I agree that no child left behind was ridiculous but I wouldn't say this is a big improvement either. I think our education system is going down the drain fast due to mainly social factors, and not as much the way our teachers are teaching. Kids are lazy and just don't want to learn, getting good grades isn't seen as "cool," and there is no sense of rigor in coursework as parents simply don't want to confront the fact that their child isn't a genius. Therefore teachers are forced to curve grades or lower the standards as to not receive the backlash from parents.

I mentor several foreign exchange students from all over the world. All of the students are at the top of their classes and go home and put effort into their homework. They manage to succeed in a school system that teaches in a language different than their own. Several of them have even noted at how easy the school system is in the USA compared to back home. To me this is sad.
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

I think good families are the key which most have lost.
Time to Hide!