How did Paloaltoguy get many here to believe him?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Zionosis
Freshman Poster

How did Paloaltoguy get many here to believe him?

Post by Zionosis »

I noticed he used large words which made many seem to think he was automatically right but he didn't technically know what he was talking about.

He claims that A.I Is coming and we are all doomed. (Anyone that knows the reality or programming knows this is more of a hollywood movie idea than a real life prediction.)

He also said this.
"Programming is flawed in that its an algorithm and most people fail to think of algorithms when they are expressed as functions in a written language that is static"

Yet that is totally incorrect. An algorithm isn't expressed as a function. In fact an algorithm calculates a function.
The function is just a section of code responsible for a certain thing. These also come pre defined in many languages and you can make your own.

Also programming isn't an algorithm. They are not synonymous. They are two different things. Clearly Paloaltoguy doesn't have any idea about programming to make these statements to begin with.

I admit though that Paloaltoguy is probably the best troll I have ever seen. He does trick a lot of people and seems to know a lot of words.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Why did Paloaltoguy get many on here believing him.

Post by MarcosZeitola »

A better thread title would be: "Why are we still talking about him?"
On "Faux-Tradionalists" and why they're heading nowhere: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=37&t=29144
Zionosis
Freshman Poster

Post by Zionosis »

I also remember he pointed out that like 30 years ago the average Irish IQ was like 10 points lower than the English where as he claimed it's the same today and then he concluded from that genetics don't have any affect on IQ.

Though what he is not apparently aware of is that the Irish are genetically different from the English, any DNA map will show this and also the Irish are not the same average IQ as the English even today. It's actually still 7 points lower than the English IQ. Sigh

Paloaltoguy really was a retard. Annoyingly he used big words and relied on no one doing any research thus nearly everyone believed what he said, lol.

Also why I don't want to be racist but he could never explain away how black people in every country are the underachievers and the lowest IQ group. Whether that be in white countries or in Asian countries or Eurasian countries.

I don't dislike black people though, certainly disliked Paloaltoguy though.
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

Zionosis wrote:I also remember he pointed out that like 30 years ago the average Irish IQ was like 10 points lower than the English where as he claimed it's the same today and then he concluded from that genetics don't have any affect on IQ.

Though what he is not apparently aware of is that the Irish are genetically different from the English, any DNA map will show this and also the Irish are not the same average IQ as the English even today. It's actually still 7 points lower than the English IQ. Sigh

Paloaltoguy really was a retard. Annoyingly he used big words and relied on no one doing any research thus nearly everyone believed what he said, lol.

Also why I don't want to be racist but he could never explain away how black people in every country are the underachievers and the lowest IQ group. Whether that be in white countries or in Asian countries or Eurasian countries.
He was an annoying self aggrandizing punk....
Your description is almost generous...
The
Junior Poster

Post by The »

I miss him....I thought he was insightful and entertaining and we used to chat regularly on PM.....Its going to be a big void to fill....
Bane
Freshman Poster

Post by Bane »

He claims that A.I Is coming and we are all doomed. (Anyone that knows the reality or programming knows this is more of a hollywood movie idea than a real life prediction.)

Huh? I know there was quite a bit to find fault with in PAG's posts…… but this? I actually think this is one of the more accurate things he's talked about. A lot of jobs (around half) are set to be taken over by AI as soon as a decade from now. Many experts and news articles have talked about this. Perhaps fully conscious, human level AI is a Hollywood fantasy, but to deny that AI in general is going to make an impact is to willingly stick one's head in the sand.
"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world." -Oscar Wilde

"Invincibility is in oneself, vulnerability is in the opponent" -Sun Tzu
Zionosis
Freshman Poster

Post by Zionosis »

Bane wrote:He claims that A.I Is coming and we are all doomed. (Anyone that knows the reality or programming knows this is more of a hollywood movie idea than a real life prediction.)

Huh? I know there was quite a bit to find fault with in PAG's posts…… but this? I actually think this is one of the more accurate things he's talked about. A lot of jobs (around half) are set to be taken over by AI as soon as a decade from now. Many experts and news articles have talked about this. Perhaps fully conscious, human level AI is a Hollywood fantasy, but to deny that AI in general is going to make an impact is to willingly stick one's head in the sand.

I never said that. Also sorry but A.I. is just that. Artificial intelligence. It's a hollywood fantasy. Yes programs and more advanced machines will start to take over certain jobs but in no way are they actually artificial intelligence.

Calling a pre programmed response intelligence is retarded. All of the current programming and robotics such as Asimo are just that. Tricks. Ignorant people get fooled and actually for a while think there is more to these things than there is.

Don't get me wrong computers are going to replace many jobs and even one day things such as android people will probably exist but they will still be at the very core tricks and not have real thinking. But if many people are tricked it probably doesn't matter either way to them.

Humans don't even fully understand the concept of existence and consciousness. This is not something we can program into something. Sorry but that's the reality of it.
Also I am actually someone that wished A.I. was more possible because I think robotic women could fill a big void for men. But I think that trick or false A.I. will do a good enough job for most though.

Put simply you cannot create real consciousness within machines. Sorry. If you want to believe that hollywood fantasy that's up to you. Not my concern.
You will never be able to expect a machine to understand a play on words or actually have a true opinion unless it was programmed to, or really have any real conscious awareness.

But many unintelligent people just base their thoughts off hollywood crap and don't seem to really have much understanding or even think deeply about anything.

For instance the average idiot will also think that if you are standing in a large puddle and someone shoots one of those barbed tasers into the water a few meters away then it's going to shock you and take you out. lol.
Hollywood is full of pure BS. I have only really seen a few movies that were really interesting and seemed to be made by someone who was educated.

Gattaca is one of those movies.

The future is more likely to be more like Gattaca than the stupid robot movies. No offense.

There is a Japanese Anime called Ghost in the Shell and it has an interesting take on the future of humans and machines and the concept of self. It's pretty deep and interesting.
Such as human consciousness being transplanted into a machine body, then the consciousness thinking if they are really themselves anymore of just a copy and not truly aware, they never tell you if the machines are truly conscious or just acting similar to people. It's quite interesting I found it because I have also thought about such things before even seeing it. (I find the Japanese put more effort and thinking into their creations instead of just trying to make something like hollywood does that everyone dull fool can understand.)

The beliefs of Paloaltoguy and yourself are similar to the people from my parents generation that believed when they grew up there would be robots and we would be living on the moon. People like to dream a lot and usually it's based of stupid hollywood stuff.

The whole problem isn't actually hollywood. I think the problem is rather intelligence and education.
Last edited by Zionosis on November 28th, 2014, 5:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
Zionosis
Freshman Poster

Post by Zionosis »

Alex Jones followers are also ignorant people. And also people who believe that Aliens are making deals with our governments are very stupid also. But again you can't really argue with these people much because the whole fact that they believe these things in the first place should tell you where their head is at.

I noticed that paloaltoguy based most of his ideas of movies he saw.
Whether that be robot movies taking over or the new planet of the apes movies or inception or limitless etc.
Many things he said it was clear he pulled them straight from those movies. sigh

It's scary to know where some people apparently base their facts from. Very disturbing. The fact that (The) makes out Paloaltoguy is a student of Philosophy is absolutely insulting to Philosophers all around the world.
Bane
Freshman Poster

Post by Bane »

in your view, why can't machines display intelligence? Can you give some scientific arguments for this?
"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world." -Oscar Wilde

"Invincibility is in oneself, vulnerability is in the opponent" -Sun Tzu
steve55
Junior Poster

Post by steve55 »

Lol, I don't recall a single person who believed anything he said. What do you mean?
Paloaltoguy
Freshman Poster

Post by Paloaltoguy »

:D
Last edited by Paloaltoguy on December 4th, 2014, 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guts Over Fear
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

We need a handsome devil like him around.
Time to Hide!
Paloaltoguy
Freshman Poster

Post by Paloaltoguy »

:wink:
Last edited by Paloaltoguy on December 4th, 2014, 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Guts Over Fear
Paloaltoguy
Freshman Poster

Post by Paloaltoguy »

The wrote:I miss him....I thought he was insightful and entertaining and we used to chat regularly on PM.....Its going to be a big void to fill....
:wink:
Guts Over Fear
Paloaltoguy
Freshman Poster

Post by Paloaltoguy »

:twisted:
Last edited by Paloaltoguy on December 4th, 2014, 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guts Over Fear