Poll: Should we set up a Judicial Committee to decide issues

Post your suggestions and feedback for the forum. You can also report a problem, troubleshoot an issue with forum functionality, or suggest new board topics.

Should we set up a Judicial Committee?

Yes! That's a great idea and would bring more organization and structure to this forum!
60%
No. That would overcomplicate things. I think we should just have all the members vote on issues here instead.
10%
No. Just have moderators decide all issues. Isn't that what they are for?
20%
No opinion. Undecided.
10%

Total votes: 10
Winston
Site Admin

Poll: Should we set up a Judicial Committee to decide issues

Post by Winston »

I have an idea. Instead of voting on every issue, or having me decide everything, how about we set up a judicial committee to make decisions on banning and other issues? It would sort of be like a Parliament or Senate that casts votes on issues, proposals and amendments after discussing them.

The committee would consist of our most trusted members who have demonstrated good judgment, fairness, rationality, credibility, good sense, and mental stability. The members should also not be people who have extreme views or are clearly delusional in some way. Instead, they be down-to-earth, open-minded and able to see the big picture.

We could create a new board for the committee to discuss and vote on issues and proposals. Jester suggested that we call this new committee "The House of Lords". We could elect the members of the committee, or just have me pick them. My choices would be:

Jester
Fschmidt
Rock
Mr S
Zboy1
Jamesbond
Ladislav
Falcon
Momopi
Steve55
Davewe
Outwest
MarcosZeitola
Ghost
Drealm
E Irizarry R&B Singer
The_Adventurer
Eurobrat
Jackal
MrPeabody
Gsjackson
Publicduende

What do you all think? Is this a good idea?

Is there anyone else that you all want to nominate? I guess we should also elect a "Chairperson" of the committee too.

Then after the vote is cast by the committee, it could be sent to the Chairperson, or me, for final approval or veto. What do you think?

Let's do a poll. Cast your vote above. You may change it later if you like by selecting another option and hitting submit.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Re: Poll: Should we set up a Judicial Committee to decide is

Post by S_Parc »

Where's your Joe Biden, to decide if there's a tie among the 20?

I can be Biden; realize, Joe's a clown and there isn't a greater antihero around here than me :)
Many years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

Beware of long term engagements with AWs, you may find yourself in a coffin.

AB discussion thread

BTW, despite settling down with an AW, myself, the warning is still in effect.
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

This might not be a bad idea for HA proposals and amendments, but don't throw bannings into the mix. It's the mods and owner who should decide on punishments, since it is they who are more familiar with all the potential offenses.

The real question is (and has always been) what happens when this committee decides on a change which Winston doesn't like. At that point he would overrule and/or get rid of the committee. Ultimately Winston owns HA and I see no reason to believe he's gonna give up control of his little kingdom.
steve55
Junior Poster

Post by steve55 »

Yea, I think mods can do that job since that's their job. But a committe is ok too but it seems more complicated to do a committee.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

davewe wrote:This might not be a bad idea for HA proposals and amendments, but don't throw bannings into the mix. It's the mods and owner who should decide on punishments, since it is they who are more familiar with all the potential offenses.

The real question is (and has always been) what happens when this committee decides on a change which Winston doesn't like. At that point he would overrule and/or get rid of the committee. Ultimately Winston owns HA and I see no reason to believe he's gonna give up control of his little kingdom.
Great points davewe. Those are great considerations. However:

1. I'm sure that I'd agree with most of the committee's decisions, especially since I've picked the members. We are all on very similar wavelengths.

2. If I start traveling extensively I will probably not have much time to manage this forum. In that case the committee can decide things.

But you are right though. Perhaps this idea would overcomplicate things. Maybe we don't need to have a committee yet unless the issues become too numerous to deal with. Perhaps we don't need that much organization yet unless the forum grows a lot bigger.

If we need more moderation we can just appoint new moderators such as jester or others.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Winston wrote:I have an idea. Instead of voting on every issue, or having me decide everything, how about we set up a judicial committee to make decisions on banning and other issues? It would sort of be like a Parliament or Senate that casts votes on issues, proposals and amendments after discussing them.

The committee would consist of our most trusted members who have demonstrated good judgment, fairness, rationality, credibility, good sense, and mental stability. The members should also not be people who have extreme views or are clearly delusional in some way. Instead, they be down-to-earth, open-minded and able to see the big picture.

We could create a new board for the committee to discuss and vote on issues and proposals. Jester suggested that we call this new committee "The House of Lords". We could elect the members of the committee, or just have me pick them. My choices would be:

Jester
Fschmidt
Rock
Mr S
Zboy1
Jamesbond
Ladislav
Falcon
Momopi
Steve55
Davewe
Outwest
MarcosZeitola
Ghost
Drealm
E Irizarry R&B Singer
The_Adventurer
Eurobrat
Jackal
MrPeabody

What do you all think? Is this a good idea?

Is there anyone else that you all want to nominate? I guess we should also elect a "Chairperson" of the committee too.

Then after the vote is cast by the committee, it could be sent to the Chairperson, or me, for final approval or veto. What do you think?

Let's do a poll. Cast your vote above. You may change it later if you like by selecting another option and hitting submit.
How does this work? What kind of cool powers would I get?
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

eurobrat wrote: How does this work? What kind of cool powers would I get?
You would get to vote in a committee hearing and voice your opinions on the matters being discussed. Kind of like what the congressmen do in the house of representatives. Lol

Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

eurobrat wrote:How does this work? What kind of cool powers would I get?
I already know Eurobrat's first forum proposal. He would put forth a committee vote requesting to give me a permanent ban. I can tell based on his posts directed my way (which are always negative) that I'm the the number one member on the list of members he doesn't want around. Why else would he consistently direct his negative posts my way?
I'm a visionary and a philosopher king 👑
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

I posted my opinion here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25272&start=30#p208727
-------------------------------------------
I hate both committees and democracy, but I am unsure how to handle things as a moderator here. I suggest a public "Moderation" forum. Moderators should have nothing to hide. People can post complaints there and moderators can propose action. If a moderator proposes an action and no other moderator objects within 24 hours, then the moderator can go ahead with his action. If there is disagreement between moderators then Winston can make the final decision. As a public forum, anyone can express their opinion but they have no power.
-------------------------------------------

I got no response.

I think a committee will be a disaster, no moderation will get done.
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Post by newlifeinphilippines »

this committee is rigged like a hong kong puppet government .
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Update:

At jesters suggestion, I added gsjackson and publicduende to the committee list.

Maybe we should make jester the chairman of the committee. He is wise and experienced and a tall man. Leaders tend to be tall because we are hardwired to follow the biggest and tallest of the bunch.

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Winston wrote:
Maybe we should make jester the chairman of the committee. He is wise and experienced
Jester the Wise.

I like it.

:mrgreen:

.... and a tall man. Leaders tend to be tall because we are hardwired to follow the biggest and tallest of the bunch.
What makes you think I'm tall? We only talked on the phone!

:idea:
I need a tall avatar!
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Jester wrote:
Winston wrote:
Maybe we should make jester the chairman of the committee. He is wise and experienced
Jester the Wise.

I like it.

:mrgreen:

.... and a tall man. Leaders tend to be tall because we are hardwired to follow the biggest and tallest of the bunch.
What makes you think I'm tall? We only talked on the phone!

:idea:
I need a tall avatar!
I can tell you're tall by your voice. Haha.

Just kidding. People who have met you told me that you are tall.

Another thing is that you are the kind of guy who sees the big picture. And all good leaders have that quality.