Mexico or elsewhere during thanksgiving or winter break?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Latin America, Mexico, or Central America.
america sucks
Freshman Poster

Mexico or elsewhere during thanksgiving or winter break?

Post by america sucks »

I have a thanksgiving break starting next week. I will get about 7 days off. I also have a month-long winter vacation next month, I was thinking of traveling abroad during December and/or January. I have already been to asia. Is it better to visit mexico over the winter? Are there other countries I could check out during winter vacation instead, since I'm not really interested in Mexico, other than Mexican girls? I have alot more interest in visiting Europe, but I heard it gets really cold and people don't go out during the winter.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Mexico or elsewhere during thanksgiving or winter break?

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

america sucks wrote:I have a thanksgiving break starting next week. I will get about 7 days off. I also have a month-long winter vacation next month, I was thinking of traveling abroad during December and/or January. I have already been to asia. Is it better to visit mexico over the winter? Are there other countries I could check out during winter vacation instead, since I'm not really interested in Mexico, other than Mexican girls? I have alot more interest in visiting Europe, but I heard it gets really cold and people don't go out during the winter.
You need to start spending time utilizing the search feature on this site. There are plenty of archives of where you need to go, why, how, what-if's, and do's and don'ts. Is your time that limited and/or are you that lazy that you cannot do this on your own? This question has been asked a plethora of times.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

america sucks wrote:I have a thanksgiving break starting next week. I will get about 7 days off. I also have a month-long winter vacation next month, I was thinking of traveling abroad during December and/or January. I have already been to asia. Is it better to visit mexico over the winter? Are there other countries I could check out during winter vacation instead, since I'm not really interested in Mexico, other than Mexican girls? I have alot more interest in visiting Europe, but I heard it gets really cold and people don't go out during the winter.
Enenada (and probably most of Mexico) is cold as hell in the winter. Not Montana-cold. Worse. Because the houses and hotels are not insulated, and construction techniques suck. So the cold air seeps right in. There is no cozy place where you can come into, out of the cold, and get warm. And all the floors are tile right on concrete, nothing in between. The heat gets sucked out of the soles of your feet down into the center of the earth.

On the good side, Mexicans still come out in the winter. You see them sitting in open air taquerias, eating tacos with their families, in freezing weather. They are indeed a patient people.

Cancun might work. Merida, Cancun, Tulum. (Check the weather online please.) A lot of old retired Canadians around, but very gringo-friendly and English-speaking, a big plus for a short stay.

And you dont want to spend 2 days on a plane each way getting in and out of Medellin or Rio, when you only have 7 days total.

Anywhere in the Caribbean would work.

Dominican Republic has some nice areas, and good airline connections.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Jester wrote:
Enenada (and probably most of Mexico) is cold as hell in the winter. Not Montana-cold. Worse. Because the houses and hotels are not insulated, and are often unheated, and construction techniques suck. So the cold air seeps right in. There is no cozy place where you can come into, out of the cold, and get warm. And all the floors are tile right on concrete, nothing in between. The heat gets sucked out of the soles of your feet down into the center of the earth.

On the good side, Mexicans still come out in the winter. You see them sitting in open air taquerias, eating tacos with their families, in freezing weather. They are indeed a patient people.

Cancun might work. Merida, Cancun, Tulum. (Check the weather online please.) A lot of old retired Canadians around, but very gringo-friendly and English-speaking, a big plus for a short stay.

And you dont want to spend 2 days on a plane each way getting in and out of Medellin or Rio, when you only have 7 days total.

Anywhere in the Caribbean would work.

Dominican Republic has some nice areas, and good airline connections.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
travelsouth
Freshman Poster

Post by travelsouth »

Oh this is an easy one.

Mexico City. That's probably one of the cheapest places you can fly to on short notice. I'm at a regional airport (layover in Dallas), and I can get there for as little as $550 to $600 RT sometimes.

It's more or less room temp there year round. The parties, clubs, bars, etc are off the hook. Plenty of educated women, English Speakers, etc. Plus I doubt you know how "Mexican" women look. I can honestly say I was very surprised when I actually got to Mexico City. There are some barrios where I had to make sure my tongue wasn't hanging out. Plus I think they are less crazy overall than some of the chicas from other countries. Now the DR is actually full of darker women, so that better be your thing if you go there. But you can find all shades in DF. And if you like them a bit lighter I can tell you exactly where to go.

If you want the best food and the best party atmosphere that's DF. Easy.
america sucks
Freshman Poster

Post by america sucks »

Since I'll have a few weeks of vacation, I could visit multiple cities. I was thinking at least Monterrey and a lower-known city, like Chihuahua. Should I come by car, or is it better to just fly?
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

america sucks wrote:
Since I'll have a few weeks of vacation, I could visit multiple cities. I was thinking at least Monterrey and a lower-known city, like Chihuahua. Should I come by car, or is it better to just fly?
Check driving times. Mexico is huge, much bigger than it looks on a typical map projection. But the main highways are safe, decently maintained, just not well-lit at night like the freeways in the US. Secondary or state roads are full of potholes, so driving requires more vigilance than in US and is therefore less pleasant, harder to sightsee if driving alone. Also LOTS of pedestrians except on freeways, so day driving is again safer than at night.

Also driving in Mexico City is seldom recommended.

Most people would choose to fly. If you drive, it will be more of a driving trip than anything else. Still might be fun to do once in your life.

You need a safety kit by law in some Mexican states, flares and stuff, no biggie, buy it in the US from an auto zone, they'll have it.

Ah - another way to go would be to bus it on the shorter hops, just fly to Mexico City. Buses and trains are great for meeting people, making friends, practicing Spanish. Bus is the most flexible, goes everywhere. And longer distance buses in MX are nicer generally than in US.

No car needed within Mexican cities, people ride local buses. If raining, small towns may require a pickup truck, jeep, SUV, etc.

Also - if driving a drawback is you have to stay in what we call a motel (dont call it that in MX), and you wont be able to stay in a cool older walkup inn or guesthouse
america sucks
Freshman Poster

Post by america sucks »

I'm not really interested in Mexican history or culture. I admit that I'm mostly interested in just meeting the friendly people and seeing if I could get a girlfriend or wife, even though I only plan to spend a few weeks at most there. I've heard some guys here drove down to mexico and were able to find wives

From what I've heard, the prettier girls are in the north, so I'm very interested in Monterrey. How long do you recommend I stay in a city? For example, would you recommend spending about a week in Monterrey and then another week in say, Chihuahua? How can I meet girls, especially since I don't speak Spanish well. I studied it in school but forgot nearly all of it. What I'm concerned about is that I could get bored quickly in those cities
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

america sucks wrote:I'm not really interested in Mexican history or culture. I admit that I'm mostly interested in just meeting the friendly people and seeing if I could get a girlfriend or wife, even though I only plan to spend a few weeks at most there. I've heard some guys here drove down to mexico and were able to find wives

From what I've heard, the prettier girls are in the north, so I'm very interested in Monterrey. How long do you recommend I stay in a city? For example, would you recommend spending about a week in Monterrey and then another week in say, Chihuahua? How can I meet girls, especially since I don't speak Spanish well. I studied it in school but forgot nearly all of it. What I'm concerned about is that I could get bored quickly in those cities
If you want to meet girls I think one week per city is plenty, -- almost too much

Try to "pipeline" via Mexican Cupid and set up 2 dates a day
And walk around as discussed before, parks plazas and stores

Monterrey
Culiacan
Hermosillo
Mexicali
Guadalajara

Stick to aforementio ed areas ineach city
3 days on the ground if no pipeline

If you meet Miss Right you can return to her city

Numbers is the key

Approach like a machine
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Tandem spamming

Post by Jester »

Rebecca and nami are spamming in tandem.

Cute idea.

Now please ban them.