My attempted return.

Introduce yourself here and let us know who you are.
Forum rules
Welcome. If you are new here, please read the Forum Rules.
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

My attempted return.

Post by The_Adventurer »

I got a message from Winston stating that some undesirable elements were no longer on this board so I thought I would give it another shot. It's funny, just a few moments ago I saw my last post, the one where I said I would not come back. That was in 2007 almost a year before I even left the U.S. One of the reason I didn't get back on the board was because after I got overseas, I was on this whirlwind adventure and almost never thought about sitting in front of a computer. When I did sit in front of it, I worked, worked hard, to continue financing my journeys, and got back to living a fun life.

There were trying times and hardships too, of course. That's to be expected when you're "winging it". The main thing, though, is that the racism and petty bickering I left behind, whether in the US or on a forum, were the furthest things from my mind. I was living life. A real life and enjoying every moment of freedom. No 9 to 5, no chains or reigns, just me going where I wanted and doing what I wanted, and having lots of fun.

I've had some absolutely amazing experiences, and through astounding coincidences (or synchronicity for those who don't believe in coincidence) I met movie producers, rich business men, bodybuilding champions and more in Korea, Philippines, China and Japan and things, people and opportunities always turned up as I needed them or to save me in the nick of time from trouble.

Sure there are different kinds of racism in Asia, as opposed to the U.S., but it is nowhere near as bad. I find it is mostly fear based rather than hate based like U.S. racism. It is mostly ignorance rather than spite. When people get to know me, even in closed up Korea and Japan, that all fades away and a life of dreams begins.

I wonder if the idea that girls are so much easier to get or meet in one country vs. another, in Asia, is not all about how one approaches it. I found that in Japan and Korea, young girls, who were probably enamored with hip hop and related cultural items, were far more into me and aggressive than <b>any girls</b> in the Philippines. I remember one girl I met my first day or two in Korea, she kept staring at me with these longing eyes as we talked. She told she loved me three times and hugged me before she departed. I was with my girlfriend, though, so I couldn't exactly do much about it. ;)

My third time in Japan, after a nearly ten year gap, I noticed the girls that were into me were kind of "strange", for lack of a better term. Not to imply they weren't extremely hot, they were gorgeous, but you would almost think they were in costume more than dressing fashionably. I'm not just talking about the girls in obvious hip hop dress. I don't know what you would call some of the styles I see. Certainly lots of colored hair (even blue and purple, not just blonde) and contacts lenses, but one girl that chatted me up looked like she was dressed as some kind of angel. I would swear part of her dress looked like wings on her back.

Anyway, we'll see how it goes this time around. I hope I have something worth sharing on these forums, and can stick around this time.
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

Welcome back Terrence! I remember that you were one of the first members on this board, then you left because of a few idiots who liked to flame you and cause arguments. It's good to hear that you left the US and are now having fun overseas. A lot of us would be going overseas too, if we had the financial resources to do so.
globetrotter
Experienced Poster

Post by globetrotter »

Welcome back!
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

What kinda work you doing? Just so I know if I can do it too!!

Hey, I have read that those Japanese girls can be really weird. Sounds like a fun place that you just have to visit before you die! hahaha

Welcome back. Post some more experiences. Looking forward to it.
MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Post by MrPeabody »

Your experiences sound fascinating. I am looking forward to hearing more.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Welcome back Terrence! I was hoping to see you again! A lot of miss really missed your quality posts, and I was hoping you'd come back someday! :)

It's a pity that due to Gordon's hostile verbal attacks on you, that you left when this forum was first created. Because of him, we lost a quality poster, and I wished I had banned him earlier to prevent that. So folks, that's another reason to ban Gordon, cause he cost us some quality posters like Terrence!

Anyway, your experiences sound unique. Other blacks don't have the luck and attraction you get in Korea or Japan. You must radiate some type of charisma maybe?

I hope other black travelers can learn from you as a role model!

Glad to have you back,
Winston
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

chanta76
Experienced Poster

Post by chanta76 »

Hey Terrance,

I like to know what kind of living do you do be able to travel overseas?
polya
Junior Poster

Fantastic!

Post by polya »

Can you tell me more info. on how you get visas to stay more than 3 months, the easiest country to get a visa to and how you support yourself? I'm not being nosy, but its difficult to overcome finances and visas so any help is appreciated.
"Woman is a violent and uncontrolled animal... If you allow them to achieve complete equality with men, do you think they will be easier to live with? Not at all. Once they have achieved equality, they will be your masters." Cato the Elder
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

To be honest, I really do just "wing it" and do whatever pops up. I've done private client English teaching, teaching computer graphics and animation, wrote a book and it sold pretty good for a while, wrote articles for pay (in fact this is the idea my journey started with), Did a cartoon for a company in China for nice lump some of cash, and I am trying move towards just doing original cartoons and animation. It really depends on what is going on around me.

Before I left, and probably the last bit of inspiration I found which pushed me to take action, I encountered a story on an other forum.

WARNING: ONLY FOR THE ADVENTUROUS

It has been said that one should save up $10,000, $20,000 or even $40,000 USD before daring to take off on an adventure involving life in another country. The guy I encountered said, "To hell with that." He was surely adventurous. He wanted to write. Even in this very forum Winston has listed resources for people who want to make money online and he also listed the sites where one can get freelance writing gigs, among other types of online work. This guy decided to do just that. He saved up a whopping $2000, yes two thousand U.S. dollars, and got on a plane the Philippines.

Now you can go pretty far on $2000 in the Philippines if you know what you're doing. But this guy did some things I would never consider. First, immediately upon arriving he bought a motorcycle! I think that used up almost half his money. Next thing he did was get married! Talk about two money burning choices in the first few days!! The great thing is, he is not only still going, as far as I know, he has become quite a success.

He, of course, struggled a bit, but his job could be done anywhere, from any internet cafe on any street corner. And they are everywhere here. So he started writing, just like his dream. He started writing literally for pennies, sometimes less than a penny per word. He said he would wake up early, do his exercise and then hit the cafe for 10 or sometimes 14 hours per day. As one might expect, he made a name for himself and became something of the go-to-guy for web content. In just a few months he was getting 5 cents per word and making over $2000 per month, which will let one live very well in the Philippines. He still worked long hours though. Still, his name carried and spread. Last I checked he writes for 10 or even 20 cents per word and makes several thousand U.S. dollars per month. He still lives happily with his wife and all is well.

When I encountered his story, he was only a few months into his journey, but he proved that if you really want to, you can just do it. In one of his posts he actually mentioned one of the sites he writes on, the same which Winston has mentioned on here somewhere. So I decided it was time to stop floundering, stop over thinking everything and just go. So I took off with the same idea in mind.

Visa issues:
The Philippines is by far the easiest visa situation for a U.S. passport holder. 21 day walk in visa which can be renewed every two months for up to a year and a half for about $50 each renewal. Japan and Korea are identical, 3 month walk in, no chance for extension or renewal. They are also about an hour apart by plane so just hop over to the other one for a bit, come back and you get another 3 months. China is the hardest. You pretty much need a sponsor and proof of income/travel money and proof of a place to stay etc. I have a couple of friend in Chinese animation industry who usually help me out.

As I mentioned before, I am moving towards, or at least desiring to pursue only animation work. I talked to a friend in Japan who knows one of the largest anime/manga distributors in Akiba area and we may hook something up. So that's where I'm headed next. We'll see what happens!
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Hi Terrence,
Wow that is incredible. How does this guy make 2000 dollars a month writing online? That is very difficult. Many are trying to do that too, but its not easy. Only a small percentage make good money online. Can you find out and give us some advice about how he is doing it?

I would love to be making that much online, but it's a far stretch.

Do you have an email or website for this guy?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Think Different
Junior Poster

Post by Think Different »

Terrence, I was in China last summer and it's a fascinating country...just don't get on the wrong side of the law.
Last edited by Think Different on July 26th, 2012, 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

Winston wrote:Hi Terrence,
Wow that is incredible. How does this guy make 2000 dollars a month writing online? That is very difficult. Many are trying to do that too, but its not easy. Only a small percentage make good money online. Can you find out and give us some advice about how he is doing it?

I would love to be making that much online, but it's a far stretch.

Do you have an email or website for this guy?
It's all about repeat business. But it takes time to build up a name with your clients. You do a good job for someone they will keep coming back. I haven't been checking into this guy since I've been out in the world trying to do it myself, but I can tell you from my experience, even after I was trying to quit, I had clients who kept coming back needing something written by me. Also word spreads around. You can go on those sites like getafreelancer.com and elance.com and start bidding on jobs and making a name, but after a while, you will find that people come to you and invite you to their job posting, which is pretty much a sure win. Time and building a reputation for good service are the key.
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

RedDog wrote:Terrence, I was in China last summer and it's a fascinating country...just don't get on the wrong side of the law. Asia fascinates me, and by all accounts from the business articles I read, China and India (jointly called Chindia) are the powerhouse wave of the future. I think the US and European economies are hosed for quite a while. I studied Russian/Soviet Studies as an undergrad in college (during the Cold War days) and my Russia prof told me at the end of my studies that I'd done a good job, but that Russia will be useless to me. He said I should've studied Chinese and Arabic. That was 20 years ago. He was RIGHT! Smart guy! One thing about China, the people were VERY nice and hospitable. Having lived 2 years in Russia, where the people are surly and intense, I expected the same thing in China. Boy, was I wrong! I think they know they have a good thing going by being friendly and tolerant to the westerners who have money!
I haven't been to China in a few years, but I absolutely loved it there last time. The presence of soldiers everywhere made it clear not to get into any kind of trouble. I saw one of those soldiers, full of muscles, on a bar doing the opposite of pull ups, meaning his feet were pointed straight up in the air and he was pushing himself up and down. That made me realize these are guys I don't want to mess with. Of course it also made me feel perfectly safe, anywhere, at all hours, in Shanghai.

I can totally see what your teacher was talking about. I went there thinking it was going to be like the movie Red Corner, which is typical Hollywood making other countries look bad. I went to find out it was more like Blade Runner. I really felt like I was in the future the whole time I was there. Everything was so advanced and futuristic. If I saw a flying car I probably would've just accepted it and kept walking. The Japanese group I was with knew the score. They were investing heavily there. I also met guys from Turkey, the Middle East and other locations who were getting into business there.

Unfortunately, I wasn't at all out of the American Matrix, or that mentality, back then so it never crossed my mind that I had a shot with any girls there. Looking back on the experience now, there were two girls in the CG company I was visiting that seemed to be always hanging around me. One was tall and hot like a model, the other short, a bit plump and cute like a doll. I will never know now, but I probably could have started something. Also when me and my Japanese buddies went to bars, girls talked to us. Well, everyone tried to talk to us and were very friendly.

I think my Japanese friend knew what was up. He even "joked" about sending a girl to my room once. I wouldn't find out until years later, reading sites like this and others, that he probably wasn't joking. ;)