Are We Living in a Simulation, like in the Matrix Movies? The Simulation Hypothesis

Discuss deep philosophical topics and questions.
Ginger
Freshman Poster

Post by Ginger »

:)
Last edited by Ginger on July 3rd, 2013, 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I do not promise to be gingerly :P
C.J.
Experienced Poster

Post by C.J. »

Your brain is basically a projector. It projects what you think/feel onto the world you live in. So you could say that you create your own world, your own simulation!

But just because you're living in a simulation, doesn't mean you can just discard its rules, wake up and be done with it.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Ginger wrote:
ladislav wrote: Sometimes I want to take those theorists, leave them without food for a week, and without water, have their houses destroyed, and then take a belt and whoop their a##es. Then, I would like to hear them lecture about simulations and holograms and dreams from an infinite mind.
I want to be there when you actually do this lol
That wouldn't prove or disprove anything. Your body and its needs and the water and house are all part of the hologram, under this model. They are all real, but they still have holographic properties, which can now be pretty much proven.

If you were in a video game, your characters energy level is real, so are the houses. But they are still only part of the game and cannot exist outside of it. Just because something is a hologram doesn't mean it can't affect you. You misunderstand what a hologram is. If you are inside a hologram, other things in the hologram can affect you. But not if you are outside of it. Same as with a video game or computer simulation.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster

Post by Teal Lantern »

In Tipler's book "The Physics of Immortality", he lays out the Omega Point theory, combining cosmology and a bit of the bible, explaining how these two things could be non-mutually exclusive.
Plenty of high level math there, too. But it's written in such a way as you can skip the equations and still follow and enjoy the book.
не поглеждай назад. 8)

"Even an American judge is unlikely to award child support for imputed children." - FredOnEverything
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Are we living in a computer simulation? Simulation Argum

Post by Winston »

Fascinating short video that gives 10 logical reasons why we are living in a computer simulation, or "God's video game".

Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

Do any of you guys ever see a cat cross your path and hiss, and then there is a glitch and you see the cat do the exact same thing in the same spot again?
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Post by newlifeinphilippines »

If God is the beginning and the end and he can see the future that means there is no such thing as time and reality and it even says Jesus death and election of his sheep was predestined since the beginning. That would also explain how God was here because with no time and no reality it is outside or minds capability to comprehend there ever being a beginning.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

MrMan wrote:Do any of you guys ever see a cat cross your path and hiss, and then there is a glitch and you see the cat do the exact same thing in the same spot again?
No. Why? Have you seen that? The video above says that ghosts and paranormal stuff may be glitches in the simulation or leftovers from deletion, kind of like how traces of files are still there when you delete them from your hard drive.

Devil Dog
Freshman Poster

Post by Devil Dog »

Winston wrote:
MrMan wrote:Do any of you guys ever see a cat cross your path and hiss, and then there is a glitch and you see the cat do the exact same thing in the same spot again?
No. Why? Have you seen that? The video above says that ghosts and paranormal stuff may be glitches in the simulation or leftovers from deletion, kind of like how traces of files are still there when you delete them from your hard drive.

It's a cultural reference, Winston.

Since you are The World's Most All Around Exceptional Asian I would have thought you would have caught it.
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

http://theawakenment.com/theoretical-ph ... hFFP7.dpbs

I'm personally of the belief that we're in a simulation. It's the most likely thing to explain damn near everything about our universe.
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Re:

Post by HouseMD »

ladislav wrote:This may be just another theory to confuse people and pollute their minds. I have a theory that a lot of such false teachings ( or at least distorted teachings) along with many conspiracies are let into society to mess with people's brains and distract them. Also, who would be rebelling and /or fighting for change in society if it is all a hologram anyway?And the powers that be will just get more power and more control.

Either that, or I think some spoiled pampered and healthy people from rich countries have come up with this computer simulation thing while you never hear anything to that effect from anyone who has to work to survive ( like I have a friend in the Philippines who only makes some $7 a day and who works 12 hours on her feet) and those in war zones or people who are actually starving somewhere.

Also, some mystics in India et al came up with that " reality is illusion" theory. Well, it is just a theory and in most people's lives, reality is not an illusion at all. It is very very real and hard as nails. And bullets that fly are not holographic. They hurt and kill.

Maybe it was/has been just a way to control masses. Same with blaming one's karma for everything. This way, you will not fight the oppressor or the exploiter but just sit there and meditate and blame yourself while the oppressors and the exploiters will just continue with their business.

When someone beats you up or a bludgeon of a cop hits you, or someone comes with an army and kills your family and maims you, you will not be ruminating if it is a simulation or not. Or will you?

Oh yeah, the Sandy was a simulation too. Must have felt really good knowing that with all those trees falling on people and actually killing them.

On some micro level of reality matter is energy just like say water is just hydrogen and oxygen. Now, let someone take a piece of ice and hit you over the head with it and after it hurts, he/she can just say- Oh, it is just a bunch of hydrogen and oxygen atoms and these are also empty inside and you cannot see the location of the electron- hey dude, you gave me a bump on the head! screw your atoms!

And matter might be holographic on some micro level but so what? In 99.9999% of cases and in most daily macro situations, this matter does not behave as an illusion, is not holographic at all, is not subjected to mind's power, is hard and heavy and real as a mother---er and not an illusion at all.

Next time you are in a dark alley and a stranger faces you with a knife, remember it is just a hologram- "Oh, no, he just stabbed me and it hurts like hell and I am bleeding...but it is all a hologram, an illusion"..yeah, right.

Sometimes I want to take those theorists, leave them without food for a week, and without water, have their houses destroyed, and then take a belt and whoop their a##es. Then, I would like to hear them lecture about simulations and holograms and dreams from an infinite mind.
Whether reality is a simulation or not does not change how we should be living it. There might very well be some grand goal out there that our very existence and survival moves the universe toward. In fact, if life were a simulation, it would lend credence to the very idea that good and evil are objective, rather than subjective, and that we should be working toward some greater good.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

Well, reality is not formed by recognition- think of how someone can trip over something in the dark or get hit by a car unexpectedly. I've experienced both & I wouldn't even be alive if reality WERE formed by recognition, since something had to happen before I got here to be to be recognizing anything. I feel that this proves that reality is not a simulation.

Ladislav: Good ideas. Never thought of that angle before, but it DEOS make sense. Also, if somoene has accuracy problems- well, they'd have a problem hitting what they're aiming at (in the broad sense).
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

WARNING: DISTURBING!

Below are video clips of credible experts and physicists who claim that it is now VERY LIKELY, or a certainty in fact, that we are living in a computer simulation. They explain why and how below.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

The first artificial universe has been designed and released to the public for gameplay.

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/a ... ky/463308/

Inside the Artificial Universe That Creates Itself
A team of programmers has built a self-generating cosmos, and even they don’t know what’s hiding in its vast reaches.

Winston
Site Admin

Re: Are we living in a computer simulation? Like a SIMS game

Post by Winston »

Bank of America analysts think theres a 50 percent chance we live in the matrix.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 87471.html