India - Any opinions?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: India - Any opinions?

Post by Yohan »

starchild5 wrote: That's a very skewed view of India. I have been the most critical of India, if you read my past posts.

You are using western economic indicators to compare the life in India, You are not including anything else.
I do not need Western economic indicators to present the drinking water / waste water situation in India.

There are publications dealing solely with the water situation in Asia, like
http://www.asianwater.com.my/

Huge population means also a huge challenge regarding water supply and waste water treatment, and India has clearly problems with that. Missing drinking water supply and missing waste water treatment/canalization means a sharp cut-down of the living standard.

http://youtu.be/ps0TmroTsq4

Al Jazeera is not a Western source, the report is rather new, the people are for real.
There are plenty of videos on the internet, documentations as well as pictures from individuals, showing large slums especially along railway lines.

To deny they do not exist is plainly ignorant.

These are Indian official sources by the Indian government, claiming that 13.7 million registered slum households do exist, with 1/3 of the people living there do not have access to clean drinking water. It also mentions that people of over 2.6 million slum households do not have any other choice but to defecate 'somewhere'.

http://www.censusindia.gov.in/2011censu ... 06-crc.pdf
http://www.censusindia.gov.in/2011censu ... 08-crc.pdf

Yes, I know they try to improve the situation, but it is not easy as with increasing population slums are also getting larger, as India's wealth is very single-sided distributed - not much of India's wealth is given to the lower income people.

----

About tourism, I agree with you. Why not to go? Take a month vacation and explore India if you can. There is nothing wrong with that. You will never regret such a trip.

About corruption, is there any clean country existing with honest politians in Asia? I do not even know one...
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

suprmon wrote:My interactions with indians have not been very positive! They can be very arrogant and rude! They have this attitude they're above others particularly if they've come from a lineage of aristocracy. And when it comes to business they have no sense of politeness nor respect. They also have this superiority complex that just because their culture made many contributions as far as philosophy and ideologies are concern, they are better than everyone else that gives them the right to treat others--particularly the less endowed--like dirt; indians are big liars so I don't trust them any further than I can throw up on them as well! Interestingly, on the above note, they have a lot to share with americans!!!
I met all such kind of Indian people from India and nearby countries. However I met also others, who were helpful, honest, willing to work...

The point is maybe, who is an Indian, and this is not so easy to explain, any kind of people you can find there... white skin Indian, black skin Indian, Hindu, Sikh and even Muslim and Christian Indian, Indians so rich it's like a dream world, Indians in poverty living in the garbage, honest people, but also people who are nothing but lazy thieves and liars... women who are elegant and highly educated, women who violent and dirty...

About tourism, I found it relatively safe for foreigners. Of course some local people are friendly, want to invite you even in their houses, others dislike foreigners...

I remember an Indian man in his little shop, who was the most unfriendly guy towards customers I met in my life, but his exchange rates were the best of all and his airtickets were the cheapest... don't ask me how he did that and he had a good business... such an asshole. Of course I bought the airtickets from him and changed my money - and I asked myself, who is the asshole, he or me... haha... it is said for good reason that rude Indian businessman can even cheat the Chinese.

As said above, somewhat similar to USA, in India any kind of person you can imagine is living in this large country or better said, in an union of several large states.
starchild5
Veteran Poster

Post by starchild5 »

Yohan wrote:
starchild5 wrote: That's a very skewed view of India. I have been the most critical of India, if you read my past posts.

You are using western economic indicators to compare the life in India, You are not including anything else.
I do not need Western economic indicators to present the drinking water / waste water situation in India.

There are publications dealing solely with the water situation in Asia, like
http://www.asianwater.com.my/

Huge population means also a huge challenge regarding water supply and waste water treatment, and India has clearly problems with that. Missing drinking water supply and missing waste water treatment/canalization means a sharp cut-down of the living standard.

http://youtu.be/ps0TmroTsq4

Al Jazeera is not a Western source, the report is rather new, the people are for real.
There are plenty of videos on the internet, documentations as well as pictures from individuals, showing large slums especially along railway lines.

To deny they do not exist is plainly ignorant.

These are Indian official sources by the Indian government, claiming that 13.7 million registered slum households do exist, with 1/3 of the people living there do not have access to clean drinking water. It also mentions that people of over 2.6 million slum households do not have any other choice but to defecate 'somewhere'.

http://www.censusindia.gov.in/2011censu ... 06-crc.pdf
http://www.censusindia.gov.in/2011censu ... 08-crc.pdf

Yes, I know they try to improve the situation, but it is not easy as with increasing population slums are also getting larger, as India's wealth is very single-sided distributed - not much of India's wealth is given to the lower income people.

----

About tourism, I agree with you. Why not to go? Take a month vacation and explore India if you can. There is nothing wrong with that. You will never regret such a trip.

About corruption, is there any clean country existing with honest politians in Asia? I do not even know one...
You are again pointing to the same mistake made by many regarding the present situation in India. You are just regurgitating what I have said a million times before. India is in a gutter and I can show you worse stats of present India. Dude...I'm Indian, I know the present water situation is worse than what you projected...You are completely missing the points of my posts.

You are looking India in reverse...You should look India from old to new, the gradual declination of India by conquest. We are way past National pride...You are thinking...I'm making posts on India with some kind of National Pride...As I have said ..I love Philippines more than India. :lol: :lol: ..One needs to be objective if one really wants to know about a country.

Indians had a very high life expectancy. The prime documented example is Buddha....He was practically living on the streets, begging and drinking normal water from rivers, and wells and he died at a ripe old age of 80. In Kerala state..The life expectancy is equal to developed countries even today, because we are closer to the nature. Many yogis, and Sadhus, in India would live for 100s of years. Its obvious they were living in the foothills of Himalayas, they had fresh water, fresh food, & knowledge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B._K._S._Iyengar

This guy is very famous Yogi and is credited with spreading yoga in the west and he died recently at 95. During the old times, 90% of Indians practiced Yoga and they lived for a long long time. Those history of Indians living a long healthy life never got out to the west...all you get is how degraded India is now...Good info on India has been purged and what you now see is misery.

That's I said..One needs to look beyond the facade of main stream. India, China is a part of humanities history....Europeans, Americans needs to spend some time to know, how the civilizations are deliberately degraded like what they are doing now to America.
starchild5
Veteran Poster

Post by starchild5 »

Yohan wrote:
suprmon wrote:My interactions with indians have not been very positive! They can be very arrogant and rude! They have this attitude they're above others particularly if they've come from a lineage of aristocracy. And when it comes to business they have no sense of politeness nor respect. They also have this superiority complex that just because their culture made many contributions as far as philosophy and ideologies are concern, they are better than everyone else that gives them the right to treat others--particularly the less endowed--like dirt; indians are big liars so I don't trust them any further than I can throw up on them as well! Interestingly, on the above note, they have a lot to share with americans!!!
I met all such kind of Indian people from India and nearby countries. However I met also others, who were helpful, honest, willing to work...

The point is maybe, who is an Indian, and this is not so easy to explain, any kind of people you can find there... white skin Indian, black skin Indian, Hindu, Sikh and even Muslim and Christian Indian, Indians so rich it's like a dream world, Indians in poverty living in the garbage, honest people, but also people who are nothing but lazy thieves and liars... women who are elegant and highly educated, women who violent and dirty...

About tourism, I found it relatively safe for foreigners. Of course some local people are friendly, want to invite you even in their houses, others dislike foreigners...

I remember an Indian man in his little shop, who was the most unfriendly guy towards customers I met in my life, but his exchange rates were the best of all and his airtickets were the cheapest... don't ask me how he did that and he had a good business... such an asshole. Of course I bought the airtickets from him and changed my money - and I asked myself, who is the asshole, he or me... haha... it is said for good reason that rude Indian businessman can even cheat the Chinese.

As said above, somewhat similar to USA, in India any kind of person you can imagine is living in this large country or better said, in an union of several large states.
India is diverse....

A recent social experiment found Mumbai to be the 2nd most honest city in the world after Helsinki. They dropped wallets in popular places with name and address and 9 out of 12 times, the wallet was returned in Mumbai. It was ahead of london, berlin, new york...compared to other cities..It was the only third world city on the list.

In India...being poor is not a crime. There are no wrong sides of town...

http://www.ibtimes.co.in/10-most-honest ... nki-509244

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 068506.cms
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Post by newlifeinphilippines »

I thought you said mumbai was bad cause its more north? I think that guy doing those videos where no one helped when he was dying or for the ambulances also was in mumbai. Either that or new delhi im not sure which.

What about Goa? It looks nice I find a nice english speaking baptist church there with a youtube video channel that is active in the community. :D
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

starchild, Nagaland looks like its better than philippines. I think that may be my new future home :D Im glad i researched india.
starchild5
Veteran Poster

Post by starchild5 »

newlifeinphilippines wrote:starchild, Nagaland looks like its better than philippines. I think that may be my new future home :D Im glad i researched india.
Its most a tribal, extremist, mountainous region, except for natural beauty, there are no Human contact. You will be hard pressed to find a decent life there..its good for travelling not for staying :lol:
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

starchild5 wrote:
newlifeinphilippines wrote:starchild, Nagaland looks like its better than philippines. I think that may be my new future home :D Im glad i researched india.
Its most a tribal, extremist, mountainous region, except for natural beauty, there are no Human contact. You will be hard pressed to find a decent life there..its good for travelling not for staying :lol:

Next time I hit manila (whenever that may be it might be a few years) im not even stopping there for a rest. Im heading west my friend to India :)

Its impossible to live in india no matter where you are at cause only 6 month visas given out and i never said i wanted to live in India i was joking on the living part but this place looks like the perfect place for me moreso than dirty philippines full of catholics and ugly people with no class and culture and a bunch of sluts and selfies. T he women here in nagaland india are my religion and they are so beautiful.

Its most 2 million baptist and they speak english very westernized and its not hot like t he rest of india. They even have a church in new delhi of people from this state and the women are all chinese and beautiful looking and classy church would be nice to visit the church in new delhi also. Ill probably go here first if i travel to india. I may visit mainland india but this place looks like a paradise of hot women, and baptist and its nice and cool up there i hate the sweltering heat of southern india.
Boxman
Freshman Poster

Post by Boxman »

I haven't found Indians to be arrogant at all; on the contrary they tend to be humble. At least that's been my experience interacting with Indians in science, medicine and IT. In my work I've often encountered Indian doctors and PhD scientists with a very shy and humble demeanor not at all befitting their status as highly paid MD's, PhD's, etc. I can assure that your typical white American doctor isn't that humble; I would know - I work with them!

As for the comment that Indians are cheats and liars, maybe back in India they are, but the ones we have here in the US are the most economically successful and law-abiding ethnic group in this country. In America, I'm statistically WAAAAAY better off living around a bunch of Indians vs my fellow white folk. Indians almost never commit crimes here, and they're average income is far above that for whites.

I wonder if some of you, out of ignorance, are confusing Indians with muslims? Note that Pakistanis and Bangladeshis are NOT Indians (they are an Islamic culture) though they look the same. Indians (especially the Sikh variety) are also commonly confused with Arabs as well. It's worth noting that in both America and Europe, it's the Pakistanis, Bangladeshis and Arabs that are mostly responsible for giving brown people a bad name (criminality, religious violence, etc). Indians get tarred with the same brush but they really shouldn't.
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Starchild, im thinking its best to land by airplane from U.S to New delhi since that is the capital and probably the main hub for international flights in terms of cost and convenience. Plus it would let me go all in to the culture of india right away by being right into the capital so id get the culture shock right away :) without wasting any time im thinking maybe then go to Nagaland and depending on how i like that i would stay there for a long period of time and maybe only see goa and kerala on the way back to new delhi anyways (even though its out of the way to the south) or if i dont like nagala too much i could explore goa and kerala even earlier and then decide if i want to stay there or go back to nagaland again. Nagaland looks like the best place FOR ME and my goals so i want to go there first. Im not interested in seeing some of the sights in other places outside these regions cause they are out of the way and frankly i didn't come to india to look at a hindu statues or ride camels and elephants all day or dip myself into a dirty river thats not the purpose of my trip. LOL

Starchild how much does it cost by train (air condition) to go from bottom of india to top of india? Im thinking to keep costs low on a long trip id probably take advantage of train? Is bus viable option? Do you recommend this or is plane not much more expensive? Since ill be bouncing from hotel to hotel which will be a daily rate plus eating out a lot ill have to keep expenses lower in other things (no domestic flights, cheap international flight) if i want to stay for awhile to keep the costs down more. What about ATMs and phones? Is it as easy as the philippines?
starchild5
Veteran Poster

Post by starchild5 »

newlifeinphilippines wrote:
starchild5 wrote:

Next time I hit manila (whenever that may be it might be a few years) im not even stopping there for a rest. Im heading west my friend to India :)

Its impossible to live in india no matter where you are at cause only 6 month visas given out and i never said i wanted to live in India i was joking on the living part but this place looks like the perfect place for me moreso than dirty philippines full of catholics and ugly people with no class and culture and a bunch of sluts and selfies. T he women here in nagaland india are my religion and they are so beautiful.

Its most 2 million baptist and they speak english very westernized and its not hot like t he rest of india. They even have a church in new delhi of people from this state and the women are all chinese and beautiful looking and classy church would be nice to visit the church in new delhi also. Ill probably go here first if i travel to india. I may visit mainland india but this place looks like a paradise of hot women, and baptist and its nice and cool up there i hate the sweltering heat of southern india.
Nagaland had lots of tribes, which were converted into Christianity by Missionaries. The landscape is very beautiful. The only equation I thought you would find very hard is lack of infrastructure ....yes India is bad, but nagaland is very remote...Since, its your first time, you would have difficulty navigating to Nagaland.....but if you are determined...It can be done....:)
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

starchild5 wrote:
newlifeinphilippines wrote:
starchild5 wrote:

Nagaland had lots of tribes, which were converted into Christianity by Missionaries. The landscape is very beautiful. The only equation I thought you would find very hard is lack of infrastructure ....yes India is bad, but nagaland is very remote...Since, its your first time, you would have difficulty navigating to Nagaland.....but if you are determined...It can be done....:)

my new work may be doing better than i expected so i may be able to go as soon as 2016 if it keeps doing good but well see im not sure but i would love to go when i can afford it.

Most people wouldn't hassle with that area but I have many good reasons to go there so yes it will be worth it. I wouldn't want to spend my entire trip there alone so maybe if i dont like it too much or want a change of pace i could check out west and southern india for awhile and then go back to it or stay in southwestern india. Just depends i wont know till i get there but from my research Nagaland looks to be the place i should head to first after landing in new delhi for maybe a few days to acclimate myself to the culture. I probably would want to stay in new delhi for a few days just to get used from a long flight? Is new delhi dangerous or whats the story on that place? Come to think of it that baptist church full of people from nagaland is in New Delhi so thats probably where I should head first to get myself situated :)

Is it expensive to travel all over the country by bus or train? Were talking hundreds of kilometers
starchild5
Veteran Poster

Post by starchild5 »

newlifeinphilippines wrote:Starchild, im thinking its best to land by airplane from U.S to New delhi since that is the capital and probably the main hub for international flights in terms of cost and convenience. Plus it would let me go all in to the culture of india right away by being right into the capital so id get the culture shock right away :) without wasting any time im thinking maybe then go to Nagaland and depending on how i like that i would stay there for a long period of time and maybe only see goa and kerala on the way back to new delhi anyways (even though its out of the way to the south) or if i dont like nagala too much i could explore goa and kerala even earlier and then decide if i want to stay there or go back to nagaland again. Nagaland looks like the best place FOR ME and my goals so i want to go there first. Im not interested in seeing some of the sights in other places outside these regions cause they are out of the way and frankly i didn't come to india to look at a hindu statues or ride camels and elephants all day or dip myself into a dirty river thats not the purpose of my trip. LOL

Starchild how much does it cost by train (air condition) to go from bottom of india to top of india? Im thinking to keep costs low on a long trip id probably take advantage of train? Is bus viable option? Do you recommend this or is plane not much more expensive? Since ill be bouncing from hotel to hotel which will be a daily rate plus eating out a lot ill have to keep expenses lower in other things (no domestic flights, cheap international flight) if i want to stay for awhile to keep the costs down more. What about ATMs and phones? Is it as easy as the philippines?
Delhi is the hub, but you have direct flight from America to Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Kolkata etc...If you want to go to Nagaland directly from America...You should land in Kolkata as its near Nagaland.

Delhi is the capital but not the hub of culture in India or anything. Its rajasthan...which is close to Delhi...You will find India's history in Rajasthan more..Its still preserved and not influenced by modern culture.

You need to adapt....You can't survive in India with a Christian point of you :lol: .You need to expand your view point on humanity. Goa and Kerala are like opposite side of Nagaland....You are going to a place where no one usually goes. Nagaland is way way too remote for a tourist. Yes. It has Christians, but if you looking for peace and tranquility, you can try Himalayas trekking and go to Uttarakhand, Himachal Pradesh state.

If you liked Nagaland, you should go, it would look more beautiful in real. The whole East India is very beautiful, more Christians and they have Chinese like facial features, are more down to earth also, speaks better English than rest of India.

India is very very cheap....You can travel by train from top to bottom on less than 50 USD and cover 2000 miles in train. India has good railways connection, and if you book first class first A/C, Second A/c, 3rd A/c..You will get a Air Con coach with nice bed.

Plane would be around 100 USD< if you book early. With train going to Delhi to Kerala...You will be able to see entire Indian landscape in 2 days time...Its good for travel experience. India is very very diverse..You have snow fall plus desert in a 500 mile distance plus you go further and you have ever green forest.

There are plenty of ATMs but for mobiles, you have to register, it wont be that easy, but you can get it. India is way cheaper than Philippines, Money wise you don't have to worry. You will never run out of money in India if you have dollar, its very cheap. :D

India is a functioning society. You can get around the places, easily.

When I went to Europe, I didn't think India deserved so many negative reviews. I felt Europeans, Americans are way too arrogant from the place they came from. Europe is only like 30% better than India, when you include cheap food, good climate, etc..Its not that bad as what Europeans complain.

Golden rule is...In India..Whenever you can...try to Spend more and live in a good place..travel by Air con train and your journey would be great...Do not go to India on backpacker budget....if you spend a little bit more...you can travel in luxury here...
starchild5
Veteran Poster

Post by starchild5 »

Boxman wrote:I haven't found Indians to be arrogant at all; on the contrary they tend to be humble. At least that's been my experience interacting with Indians in science, medicine and IT. In my work I've often encountered Indian doctors and PhD scientists with a very shy and humble demeanor not at all befitting their status as highly paid MD's, PhD's, etc. I can assure that your typical white American doctor isn't that humble; I would know - I work with them!

As for the comment that Indians are cheats and liars, maybe back in India they are, but the ones we have here in the US are the most economically successful and law-abiding ethnic group in this country. In America, I'm statistically WAAAAAY better off living around a bunch of Indians vs my fellow white folk. Indians almost never commit crimes here, and they're average income is far above that for whites.

I wonder if some of you, out of ignorance, are confusing Indians with muslims? Note that Pakistanis and Bangladeshis are NOT Indians (they are an Islamic culture) though they look the same. Indians (especially the Sikh variety) are also commonly confused with Arabs as well. It's worth noting that in both America and Europe, it's the Pakistanis, Bangladeshis and Arabs that are mostly responsible for giving brown people a bad name (criminality, religious violence, etc). Indians get tarred with the same brush but they really shouldn't.
Indians in America and Europe are very peaceful and don't create any trouble...Much less violent than even white Americans. India in general is very peaceful compared with the population. India is like the entire population of North America and Europe combined. The rape cases are much lower compared to the population. Violence is low too. There are far more rape cases in America per capita than India.
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

What do you mean ATM by mobiles and registering? I dont understand.

Im not looking for peace and tranquility im going to Nagaland for the people it just so happens the place looks nice and cool and scenic in addition. its like Baguio :D

You seem to not want me to go to nagaland but from the videos and reading I did I think I would like it the best. But id still like to see other parts of india of course so maybe thats why I should land in new delhi first so i can get culture shock on first day. Plus there is a church with people from nagaland in it so it would be a perfect chance for me to meet people there right off the plane.

Id like to stay for a few months so with daily rates and eating out there is no way i could do it any other way then very budgety hotels. Im not talking hostels or where hippie backpackers go but like 20 US dollar hotels or something. Just a place to crash at night.

Ive seen videos of nagaland. The women are beautiful and act like filipinas. I should post some videos to show you why I love it. Its not just a bunch of tribal people running around. Its like Philippines 2.0 but MUCH better LOL
Last edited by newlifeinphilippines on January 27th, 2015, 6:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.