El Paso versus North Baja

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to North America. For those looking to relocate within the US or Canada, discuss your experiences and pros/cons of each domestic region.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

El Paso versus North Baja

Post by fschmidt »

The only 2 reasonable places to consider living in North America are El Paso and North Baja. Both are culturally Mexican with access to American shopping and jobs. I live in El Paso but I am considering North Baja because it gives me access to more Orthodox synagogues (in San Diego). Also, my kids are growing up and El Paso may not offer enough opportunities for them and I hope they live near me and my wife.

So any thoughts on these option? And are there any other places worth considering in North America?
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: El Paso versus North Baja

Post by Jester »

I DO think North Baja, from Ensenada north to Las Playas de Tijuana, is an excellent place to consider.

BUT... I am not sure what opportunities you expect to find for your children. If they speak fluent Spanish and you get them Mexican passports, then yes there could be a future, if they get professional degrees and certifications, and deal with cross-border folks (businessmen selling to US, re-pates with dual passports, expats, etc)

Otherwise "earned" income pretty much has to be online.

For online income, Mexico is excellent. Mexico currently does not tax US-sourced online income received by American expats.

Another option is starting a business here. Very easy to do. Once you do that you can do any kind of (unlicensed) business. No minimum number of local partners or employees like some countries have. Just need one uncompensated local friend you trust to own a nominal 1%.

Northern Baja is also very safe, with no kidnappings or horrendous narco crimes. I would bring a family here.

Hard to see why you fixate on American Jewish synagogues though.

There is a huge seasonal Jewish presence in Punta del Este, Uruguay, with more synagogues than churches. They must be Orthodox since they are so determined to go to synagogue even during non-holidays, while on vacation.

And Argentina is chock full of Jews.

Plus there is Mexico City. Maybe not great safety there though, if you're high-profile. But lots of opportunity.

Oh well, it will be good to have you down here in Baja.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

Jester wrote:I DO think North Baja, from Ensenada north to Las Playas de Tijuana, is an excellent place to consider.

BUT... I am not sure what opportunities you expect to find for your children. If they speak fluent Spanish and you get them Mexican passports, then yes there could be a future, if they get professional degrees and certifications, and deal with cross-border folks (businessmen selling to US, re-pates with dual passports, expats, etc)

Otherwise "earned" income pretty much has to be online.

For online income, Mexico is excellent. Mexico currently does not tax US-sourced online income received by American expats.

Another option is starting a business here. Very easy to do. Once you do that you can do any kind of (unlicensed) business. No minimum number of local partners or employees like some countries have. Just need one uncompensated local friend you trust to own a nominal 1%.

Northern Baja is also very safe, with no kidnappings or horrendous narco crimes. I would bring a family here.

Hard to see why you fixate on American Jewish synagogues though.

There is a huge seasonal Jewish presence in Punta del Este, Uruguay, with more synagogues than churches. They must be Orthodox since they are so determined to go to synagogue even during non-holidays, while on vacation.

And Argentina is chock full of Jews.

Plus there is Mexico City. Maybe not great safety there though, if you're high-profile. But lots of opportunity.

Oh well, it will be good to have you down here in Baja.
I agree with your observations. If you get the chance...check out San Ignacio...about halfway down, near the border of Norte y Sur...it is well worth finding...one of those delightful places to find.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

OutWest wrote:
I agree with your observations. If you get the chance...check out San Ignacio...about halfway down, near the border of Norte y Sur...it is well worth finding...one of those delightful places to find.
Thanks.

Judging from the average nightly temperature drop, it seems that the air there is far less humid than other places on the Sea of Cortez like San Felipe.
http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/weat ... 3?s=983105

And it looks nice
http://www.pachicosecotours.com/images/ ... -whale.jpg
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

Jester wrote:
OutWest wrote:
Thanks.

Judging from the average nightly temperature drop, it seems that the air there is far less humid than other places on the Sea of Cortez like San Felipe.
http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/weat ... 3?s=983105

And it looks nice
http://www.pachicosecotours.com/images/ ... -whale.jpg
San Ignacio is a small town in a very historic oasis in the hills between Guerrero Negro and Santa Rosalia.
You will find it to be quite enjoyable...its worth a visit...

Just Google it and select images...you will smile.