Options for Working Abroad

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Options for Working Abroad

Post by Tsar »

Mr Natural wrote:
Tsar wrote:
OutWest wrote:
Tsar wrote:What options does someone have for working abroad aside from teaching English? Are there any and do they pay enough for the person to have a reasonable lifestyle and not be just like a poor local?
.......The only way that will happen is IF YOU CAN PROVIDE SOMETHING THE " POOR LOCALS" CANNOT. Real world 101 as they say....
Can you stay on topic and answer the questions?
1. What options does someone have for working abroad aside from teaching English? You did not answer this question
2. Are there any and do they pay enough for the person to have a reasonable lifestyle and not be just like a poor local? You did not any of these questions
You went off topic and provided nothing of relevance to the thread. Maybe you'll come back and actually answer the questions.
He did answer the question, quite succinctly. You asked a very generalized question without any specific info about your own situation so he gave you a very general answer. A very accurate answer though if you think about it.
I didn't just intend the question for my own situation. It was meant to educate future visitors to the forum, and anyone else who is here like I am and curious about "options for working abroad."

You took out the first sentence which was obviously calling me entitled. That part was common sense and did not answer my questions. In my original post I stated "What options does someone have for working abroad aside from teaching English? Are there any and do they pay enough for the person to have a reasonable lifestyle and not be just like a poor local?"

That didn't provide an answer to my question, it was a second sentence in a not-so-cleverly hidden post saying "I'm just an entitled Millennial looking to be paid multiple times that of a poor local." It totally ignored my questions.

1. What options are there besides teaching English?
2. Are there any?
3. If there are, do they pay the person a pay so they will be considered middle class or be able to have a decent traditional lifestyle, and not be like a poor local. (Answer "Yes" then list the jobs, or Answer "No," or a third option don't answer because you likely don't know)

I'm assuming Outwest was doing one or both of the following:
1. Doesn't know
2. Was calling me an "Entitled Millennial"

So no. that Snippet you quoted didn't answer my question or give me any useful information. Maybe if some uneducated dullard from a ghetto or a mindless ignorant American wanting to be proactive and learn to stop being ignorant read Outwest's post, they might think of reading about economics and learning about business, but for someone like me who is educated, enlightened, and knowledgeable it provides absolutely ZERO benefit to me. I know how the world works. A person that read my question would have known that. Instead Outwest either misread it or misinterpreted it then posted that response. I thought he would come in and offer some updated information after I respectfully gave my opinion on his post.
I'm a visionary and a philosopher king 👑
Mr Natural
Freshman Poster

Post by Mr Natural »

Tsar wrote: 1. What options are there besides teaching English?
2. Are there any?
3. If there are, do they pay the person a pay so they will be considered middle class or be able to have a decent traditional lifestyle, and not be like a poor local. (Answer "Yes" then list the jobs ... for someone like me who is educated, enlightened, and knowledgeable ...
Is this a joke? I mean seriously, it must be. Otherwise you are more sensitive than most old women I know. First you ask a rather dumb general question - if there are any options besides teaching english. Well let's see, there are MILLIONS of foreigners working abroad not teaching english, so I would have thought this answer would be obvious to an "educated, enlightened, and knowledgeable" person. And then you say to "list the jobs" as if someone here is going to sit and list those tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of jobs those foreigners do. Seriously? But you or any other specific individual probably wouldn't be qualified for 99.9% of those positions anyway so what's the point? Only YOU know what you are capable of doing or would even want to do, everybody is different in that regard. But he told you what you need to do, which is to provide something that the poor local can't. It's very valuable advice but it's up to you to come up with a specific way to do that geared to your own abilities and talents. And he wasn't calling you entitled, unless you do indeed think that you should be paid more than that poor local even without providing something more.

Stop your whining and give some thought to what we are trying to tell you here.
Everybody has a plan til they get punched in the mouth
Mike Tyson
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

Mr Natural wrote:
Tsar wrote: 1. What options are there besides teaching English?
2. Are there any?
3. If there are, do they pay the person a pay so they will be considered middle class or be able to have a decent traditional lifestyle, and not be like a poor local. (Answer "Yes" then list the jobs ... for someone like me who is educated, enlightened, and knowledgeable ...
Is this a joke? I mean seriously, it must be. Otherwise you are more sensitive than most old women I know. First you ask a rather dumb general question - if there are any options besides teaching english. Well let's see, there are MILLIONS of foreigners working abroad not teaching english, so I would have thought this answer would be obvious to an "educated, enlightened, and knowledgeable" person. And then you say to "list the jobs" as if someone here is going to sit and list those tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of jobs those foreigners do. Seriously? But you or any other specific individual probably wouldn't be qualified for 99.9% of those positions anyway so what's the point? Only YOU know what you are capable of doing or would even want to do, everybody is different in that regard. But he told you what you need to do, which is to provide something that the poor local can't. It's very valuable advice but it's up to you to come up with a specific way to do that geared to your own abilities and talents. And he wasn't calling you entitled, unless you do indeed think that you should be paid more than that poor local even without providing something more.

Stop your whining and give some thought to what we are trying to tell you here.
I have given it thought. The one problem is that most countries require sponsorship from a company to a foreigner to get a foreign work visa if they want to work in that country's private sector. From what I read a person can't just travel and seek out employment, can they? Unless working under the table is easier in say Europe or South America or Asia?

I know economics and know that if a person wants to earn more money they have to provide something the poor locals can't, which means going in and starting a business that offers something. This would be money-intensive. A person looking for work abroad isn't likely to also be an entrepreneur.

This thread is not a joke. I'm taking it seriously. If you look at all the news stories calling Millennials entitled and such, you'd know why I felt that way. Even some relatives have basically said "I must feel entitled" when I said that people in America deserve a decent job with decent pay. It's almost as if the people that are roughly 40+ and American/Americanized feel that not everyone should have a decent job that allows them to have a decent life. You could say that I feel calling someone entitled for expecting a decent life in a modern age that tries to deprive a good percentage of people (especially young men) from having a decent life and being able to afford a decent life (which to keep it simple means being able to meet very basic expenses, save, and afford a bride). The more money a person has it seems the more they don't care about those less fortunate and those who have nothing.

I'm sure that some of the members that have criticized me in prior threads are in their 40s, or 50s, have lots of girlfriends or are married, have a large bank account, and nice assets which they accumulated from working a decent job in a better time and now are in the top 20% of American society or the world. It doesn't take as much to be in the top 20%. So they think their experience in life means Millennials can do just the same. The world changed and its not the same world in which they became established. They and the rest of society in general should realize that. People can't do the same thing they did because "the rules of the game have changed" since they were just starting out. This isn't the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, or early 2000s when it was easier for people. Since 2007 or 2008 things have become horrible and the availability of decent paying jobs is scarce. Supply and Demand. There is a smaller supply of good paying or decent paying jobs and a larger number of people demanding such jobs. Add women entering into the workforce and stealing jobs from men in the 60s, and then really taking off leading up to the current thing where more women are in the workforce than men. Also, the LGBT get extra consideration and so do special classes minorities (special quotas so their company can look good in the eyes of the government and special interests). Republican trickle down economics didn't, doesn't work, won't work, and will never work. Most jobs being created are minimum wage or close to it, likely part-time or contract (so businesses can avoid paying benefits) and push everyone into the expensive Obamacare. Costs such as healthcare and shelter (rent) have increased a minimum of 400% and 300% respectively in the last 20 or 30 years. Incomes have been stagnant while real incomes have declined when adjusted for inflation. There is no entitlement, except by entitled upper-class individuals, elitists, and the Republican party that serves the plutocracy and the corporate oligarchy. We are in the Gilded Age II and in an age of Robber Barons, Corporate Feudalism, and a corrupt ineffective government in Washington DC filled with stringed puppets controlled by the "Master Puppeteers." I'm enlightened and I gave 100% undeniable facts.

To return to point, I probably won't be working abroad but I wanted to learn about alternative options besides teaching English which gets mentioned a lot and is one of the more commonly known options.
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

If you respond to an employer like that you'll be fired in no time Tsar. I'm not suggesting being too meekly, but sometimes one just has to shut it and listen and try to at least read between the lines of what the other person is saying. What you rebutted had some logic but it doesn't really serve your interest.

On the OQ, you need to bring along medium to high skills to afford a decent living in some of our dream destinations. Mostly blue-collar stuff doesn't pay well outside of europe/america, unless you become a medium sized contractor via networking skills and gathering some locals crew.

English does provide an advantage over locals besides language-teaching, but it must be accompanied by administrative or engineering skills i would say. In some places people are still impressed if they find you come from the states. I noticed this in china and to some degree in southamerica.
Also, some people hook up to expat jobs via multinationals of course.

Or, in my case, i'll try to hack it independently by developing my own software projects. Online you can still make stuff of value while being location independent, well at least for those who are developers; as far as e-commerce goes i don't know.
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

Mr Natural wrote:Well let's see, there are MILLIONS of foreigners working abroad not teaching english, so I would have thought this answer would be obvious to an "educated, enlightened, and knowledgeable" person.
There are millions of them working abroad.

Some of them work for their governments. Many are migrant workers who travel to farms. Some were upper-class people or had generational wealth and moved to a new country, most likely starting a business. Others had the necessary capital or financial backing to start a completely new venture. Some are elite people who are temporarily assigned by their company or corporation to work abroad or help he business achieve an objective abroad or manage something abroad.

A limited amount are given work visas, because every country wants their locals to fill the jobs until they really need someone. This is common sense because a nation's nationals come first (except in the case of America, who couldn't care less about the common Americans who are treated no better cattle to be bleed dry. Americans have been sold out as a people and America has been sold out as a nation).

I just mentioned at least 97% of the millions of foreigners working abroad. Most Millennials would fall into migrant farm workers, and in those cases they come from very poor conditions as a very poor local in certain countries and they travel to the wealthier more industrialized countries to pick crops to earn money they send back to their family and to save for when they return home. Common sense: An American would go nowhere being a migrant worker.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

droid wrote:If you respond to an employer like that you'll be fired in no time Tsar. I'm not suggesting being too meekly, but sometimes one just has to shut it and listen and try to at least read between the lines of what the other person is saying. What you rebutted had some logic but it doesn't really serve your interest.

On the OQ, you need to bring along medium to high skills to afford a decent living in some of our dream destinations. Mostly blue-collar stuff doesn't pay well outside of europe/america, unless you become a medium sized contractor via networking skills and gathering some locals crew.

English does provide an advantage over locals besides language-teaching, but it must be accompanied by administrative or engineering skills i would say. In some places people are still impressed if they find you come from the states. I noticed this in china and to some degree in southamerica.
Also, some people hook up to expat jobs via multinationals of course.

Or, in my case, i'll try to hack it independently by developing my own software projects. Online you can still make stuff of value while being location independent, well at least for those who are developers; as far as e-commerce goes i don't know.
I tried to Google "medium skills" and "high skills" but couldn't find examples. Could you give me some examples of medium skills and high skills?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skilled_worker#Education

I have an undergraduate degree in business. I don't have any blue collar skills.

I didn't pursue a future in Science, Technology, Engineering, or Medicine (STEM).

Would I be wrong if I said that business is a common degree worldwide and that it doesn't have as much demand, compared to Science, Technology, Engineering, and Medicine (STEM)?
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Tsar wrote:I have an undergraduate degree in business. I don't have any blue collar skills.

I didn't pursue a future in Science, Technology, Engineering, or Medicine (STEM).

Would I be wrong if I said that business is a common degree worldwide and that it doesn't have as much demand, compared to Science, Technology, Engineering, and Medicine (STEM)?
I always thought the M in STEM stood for mathematics. Medicine is now dominated by females, so lets not besmirch STEM by including it. Since most "business" is now a harem system, business degrees are only useful to the aristocracy and their whores. In general, qualifications in and of themselves are no longer valuable overseas. You need to be a genuine expert in the field, and the only way you get to be an expert in a job is to do it for several years.
Mr Natural
Freshman Poster

Post by Mr Natural »

I spent many years living in Thailand and knew many westerners that desperately wanted to stay there but couldn't figure out how to make decent money. Because for most of us this is THE problem. A lot of these guys ended up teaching english even though it didn't pay much, and a lot would just end up going back home. Only a small percentage really did well. A few will get good jobs, but unless you have some particular skills or even more importantly are somehow well connected, I think for most of us normal guys the most likely path is something entrepreneurial. However, most self employment is going to require significant capital and often development time as well as creativity and a lot of hard work. And then there is no guarantee of income like you have with a job. In my own situation I decided to come back to the states to make as much money as possible for a few years to get in a better position. I don't anticipate ever having a "job" abroad. What are my specific plans? Haha I would be a fool to broadcast my plans and ideas on the internet.

But really, Outwest told you what you need to do, the specifics are particular to you and up to you to figure out. And notice that he never said it would be easy.
Everybody has a plan til they get punched in the mouth
Mike Tyson
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

There are various white guy things you might be able to do in Asian countries after you get your work visa by teaching English. For example, in Shanghai or some other coastal Chinese cities you could do things like catalogue modeling, being an extra in commercials, strutting around in a business suit in various places of business in order to make them look more cosmopolitan etc. Often the workload for Chinese teaching positions isn’t that high, so this might be possible. In SEA there might be certain import/export businesses or bars or what have you that you could work for just by having the right accent and being from the right place. However, these things would be a lucky find. They are not guaranteed just by going there.