The Philippines: Not What It's Cracked Up to Be

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
globe-trotter
Freshman Poster

Re: The Philippines: Not What It's Cracked Up to Be

Post by globe-trotter »

newlifeinphilippines wrote:
globe-trotter wrote:
newlifeinphilippines wrote:same thing. They wouldn't believe you cause its in your head maybe like your other problems. Just get out of your head, marry a girl and youll be happy. You think way too much.
I knew it was a huge mistake to bring up something that's completely over everyone's head here. But I know one group of people who know exactly what I'm talking about: bodybuilders. They know about issues such as bloating, holding water, "carb loading", etc. It's critical to control these issues before going onstage for competitions. What I talk about might sound crazy and esoteric here, but it's common knowledge among bodybuilders.

So, just as bodybuilders are aware of bloating, and how it affects their appearance onstage & the reaction from the judges, I, too, am aware of how bloating affects my appearance & the reaction from the judges (women). It's not that far-fetched as you all might think. It's the same principle.

But let's forget that I ever mentioned my bloating issue, OK? It's too technical for laypeople to understand, and will only create controversy and ridicule. Let's stick to my original point, which was that the Philippines is a nice country, but it is not a place where you will become a rock star by virtue of being a Westerner. Believe it or not, this is the only point I have been trying to get across, and we're on the 11th page now....

well then that shows you how much you know cause im well versed in bodybuilding i used to be hardcore into that stuff. I spent years on those forums LOL. Nice try. its all in your head.

but I do agree with the general jist of your original post. But i think you exaggerated that even a bit. cause ive certainly gotten some attetenion but it was nothing like what winston or will n dowd implied and its usually by the darker or less attractive girls which left me dissapointed. Th e girls i really want with big breasts or light skin and pretty generally wont even give you eye contact. although in angeles some of those girls are friendly and could be datable i found the girlst here very friendly maybe its cause they are used to foreigners. maybe thats the place to find a girlfriend if they aren't working in a bar.
I was into bodybuilding hardcore as well throughout my 20's, and if you're telling me that water retention and bloating is not a major issue in bodybuilding, I doubt that you were that hardcore at all. In fact, one of the main criticisms of Creatine was that it caused bloating. It made you big, but tended to smooth out your definition (although Creatine was generally used in the bulking phase, not in the cutting phase, so it wasn't a problem onstage).
Professional bodybuilders go to dangerous extremes to remove as much water (and bloating) from their skin prior to posing on stage as humanly possible (diuretics anyone?). The goal is to have razor sharpness and extreme definition to impress the judges.
One final note. What looks good for your body also looks good for your face. Many guys with sharp muscular definition are completely unaware that the reason why girls are checking them out is not because of their bodies, but because of their FACE. The fat and bloat that's absent from their body is also absent from their face, making it look chiseled and sexy. This is a secret that I don't think even many bodybuilders are aware of.

But, anyway, getting back to Philippine girls. Let me stress that, yes, they are better (sweeter, nicer, more humble) than their American counterparts. I am not saying that they are the same. What I am saying is that if you are old and ugly in America, the same will be true in the Philippines. You will not magically transform into a sexy young stud there. Will the chances of hooking up with someone be better than in America? Maybe. But that's a far cry from expecting the miracles that many guys claim will happen to you once you arrive there.
Last edited by globe-trotter on February 6th, 2015, 12:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MarcosZeitola »

globe-trotter wrote:You know, I'm starting to wonder, how many of the guys here who--in typical tribal fashion--have turned this thread into a dissing contest against me have actually been to the Philippines?
I have lived in the Philippines for a total of seven months, traveled around the country for several times, married a Filipina and had a family. Will relocate permanently to the Philippines by August of this year. Tell me more about how your week inside a hotel room makes you some sort of expert.

Also: if your dermatogolist says your condition is not a real thing, that means it's a mental thing and exists only in your own head. Purely out of curiosity, could you share a picture of yourself? It can be a picture that does not show you "horrible skin disease", just any regular picture would do so we can have an idea of what you are working with here. I'm not entirely convinced this thing isn't like what anorexic girls have, where they see themselves as fat in the mirror even when they are starving to death, but I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt.
On "Faux-Tradionalists" and why they're heading nowhere: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=37&t=29144
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MarcosZeitola »

publicduende wrote:Not that we should care too much about his sexual preferences...either way or both. Especially considering that both Thailand and the Philippines caters handsomely across the whole spectrum.
Oh if they're gay, that's fine with me. But they should just own up to it, is all. Talking about taking dildo's up the ass and not being able to perform sexually with women for whatever reason, makes it sound like they're not being entirely truthful with themselves. Shame of all those ladyboys going to waste. :lol:
On "Faux-Tradionalists" and why they're heading nowhere: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=37&t=29144
globe-trotter
Freshman Poster

Post by globe-trotter »

MarcosZeitola wrote:
globe-trotter wrote:You know, I'm starting to wonder, how many of the guys here who--in typical tribal fashion--have turned this thread into a dissing contest against me have actually been to the Philippines?
I have lived in the Philippines for a total of seven months, traveled around the country for several times, married a Filipina and had a family. Will relocate permanently to the Philippines by August of this year. Tell me more about how your week inside a hotel room makes you some sort of expert.

Also: if your dermatogolist says your condition is not a real thing, that means it's a mental thing and exists only in your own head. Purely out of curiosity, could you share a picture of yourself? It can be a picture that does not show you "horrible skin disease", just any regular picture would do so we can have an idea of what you are working with here. I'm not entirely convinced this thing isn't like what anorexic girls have, where they see themselves as fat in the mirror even when they are starving to death, but I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt.
I already covered the picture thing in an earlier post. Please read it.

I never said I have a horrible skin condition. You guys must be picturing me as someone who transforms into a monster when I get inflammation in my skin. The effect is actually kind of subtle, but it makes the difference between night and day in my facial appeal (read my bodybuilding comments to understand this better. If you don't, I'm sorry but I can't help you any further).

Finally, I don't have to be an "expert" to tell you that the Philippines is not what many people claim it is. Please spare me the snobbishness.
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MarcosZeitola »

globe-trotter wrote:I already covered the picture thing in an earlier post. Please read it.
I read it. What makes you think I didn't? I am just curious to see what your face looks like in its natural state, because a lot of people overestimate their own level of attractiveness. Chances are you're one of those people.
globe-trotter wrote:I never said I have a horrible skin condition. You guys must be picturing me as someone who transforms into a monster when I get inflammation in my skin. The effect is actually kind of subtle, but it makes the difference between night and day in my facial appeal (read my bodybuilding comments to understand this better. If you don't, I'm sorry but I can't help you any further).
Again, I read your previous comments. The effect may be subtle as you say, but if it truly is so subtle I seriously doubt it affects your chances THAT much. What I feel is that you have a serious issue MENTALLY. The problem is between your ears, and not in your face or skin. A dermatogolist studies this type of thing, they should know.

Just rock what you got, be confident in your own skin, and you will do great in the Philippines. This is a country where money buys anything, and women are so obsessed with making white babies they won't be picky. You are a handsome-ish guy by your own admission, in shape, and at 45 you are a far cry from the fat elderly gentlemen you so often see young Filipinas ending up with. If anything, you are at the advantage here and not at a disadvantage.
globe-trotter wrote:Finally, I don't have to be an "expert" to tell you that the Philippines is not what many people claim it is. Please spare me the snobbishness.
You were there only for a very short visit and barely saw anything of the country. Did you ride the jeepneys with every day Filipinos, did you drink with them, talk to them, get to know them? Or did you just live the life of a rich foreigner, hidden away from the reality of the world, and think this means you now know the country? All you know is the most depressing and fake part of the country, but you were so far removed from everyday life that you cannot possible make a judgement on the entire country based on this.

Also, please take note: the women in Manila are the most arrogant, self-centered and materialistic of the entire country. You will meet far nicer, more honest and real girls in the province, in Cebu and in the further corners of the country. What you see in Manila, is not representative of what you see in the rest of the country. Your entire opinion on the country as a whole is rubbish, because it's based on such a tiny part of what the Philippines is about.
globe-trotter
Freshman Poster

Post by globe-trotter »

MarcosZeitola wrote:I read it. What makes you think I didn't? I am just curious to see what your face looks like in its natural state, because a lot of people overestimate their own level of attractiveness. Chances are you're one of those people.
Then if you read it, what makes you think that I would change my mind and post a pic of myself, given the sensitive nature of this forum discussion? I understand your curiosity, but that would be asking a bit too much.
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MarcosZeitola »

globe-trotter wrote:Then if you read it, what makes you think that I would change my mind and post a pic of myself, given the sensitive nature of this forum discussion? I understand your curiosity, but that would be asking a bit too much.
Then don't. But not sharing it doesn't make it any easier to believe you. As badly as I'd like to believe you. You could shoot someone a PM, I suppose. My original points still stands, as does my original opinion as expressed in my previous post: everything I heard from you so far tells me that you have everything you need to make it in the Philippines. Far lesser men have been far more successful. You just gave up too easily, and have some unresolved issues dragging you down. If you do not work on those and develop a more positive opinion of yourself and the world around you, your pessimism will forever drag you down and you will never find that happiness that's been right along the corner the whole time. And that would be a shame, wouldn't it be?

This is a forum about men traveling to faraway destinations to reinvent themselves, to better themselves, to get laid, to explore, to have fun and to enjoy the type of lifestyle they couldn't enjoy at home, for whatever reasons. Some men can get sex easily at home but leave because they want a more traditional wife, live in a more traditional culture. Others come purely for the sex. Whatever it is that drives you, don't give up too soon. It seems like you have already given up, and you are afraid to tackle the REAL issues, which are mental and not physical.

Denying a problem's existence is a lot easier then fixing it. So is putting the blame of your lack of success and activity on outside factors you cannot change. If you really wanted to succeed, you would have focused on your strong sides, put yourself out there and gotten what you wanted already. But subconciously, you must be fine with your lonely sexless existence. Why else would you sabotage yourself like this?
globe-trotter
Freshman Poster

Post by globe-trotter »

MarcosZeitola wrote:You were there only for a very short visit and barely saw anything of the country. Did you ride the jeepneys with every day Filipinos, did you drink with them, talk to them, get to know them? Or did you just live the life of a rich foreigner, hidden away from the reality of the world, and think this means you now know the country? All you know is the most depressing and fake part of the country, but you were so far removed from everyday life that you cannot possible make a judgement on the entire country based on this.

Also, please take note: the women in Manila are the most arrogant, self-centered and materialistic of the entire country. You will meet far nicer, more honest and real girls in the province, in Cebu and in the further corners of the country. What you see in Manila, is not representative of what you see in the rest of the country. Your entire opinion on the country as a whole is rubbish, because it's based on such a tiny part of what the Philippines is about.
I was in Manila, Angeles, Olongapo and Baloy Beach.

First of all, let me make it clear that I am not judging the entire country of the Philippines, only the cities that I visited. I did not stay exclusively in the tourist districts, though. I moved all around within those cities. I saw the reaction (or lack thereof) that I got from ordinary girls. It was a far cry from what I was promised. It is this discrepancy that I am criticizing. I have nothing against the Philippines, and it owes me nothing. But to hear SO many people rant and rave about how wonderful a place is to meet women, only to be disappointed, warrants a discussion. That's why I created this thread.
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MarcosZeitola »

globe-trotter wrote:But to hear SO many people rant and rave about how wonderful a place is to meet women, only to be disappointed, warrants a discussion. That's why I created this thread.
Alright. Tell me: how many women did you talk to during your stay? ;)
globe-trotter
Freshman Poster

Post by globe-trotter »

MarcosZeitola wrote:
globe-trotter wrote:But to hear SO many people rant and rave about how wonderful a place is to meet women, only to be disappointed, warrants a discussion. That's why I created this thread.
Alright. Tell me: how many women did you talk to during your stay? ;)
None. I was assured that they would talk to me (I was supposed to be a rock star in the Philippines, remember?). I was told that they would take the initiative and help me get over my shyness. Again, completely false. If anything, I found many Philippine girls to be cranky and standoffish.

I will tell you what did impress me about the Philippines, though-- the food. I ate Filipino food every day. It's delicious and indulgent. Good, hearty soul food. Love garlic rice, and those fatty strips of pork. I have no idea why the same guys that said the Philippines is a p***y paradise also said that Filipino food sucks. They got it ass-backwards.
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MarcosZeitola »

globe-trotter wrote:None. I was assured that they would talk to me (I was supposed to be a rock star in the Philippines, remember?). I was told that they would take the initiative and help me get over my shyness. Again, completely false. If anything, I found many Philippine girls to be cranky and standoffish.
A rockstar takes the initiative, though. He owns the place, sucks out the air, entertains all around him. He comes, he sees, and he conquers. He doesn't stand about, shyly hiding in a corner, waiting for the groupies to flock to him. Sure, they will, eventually... when his band takes off, when he attains fame and success, then he gets to reap what he sowed.

You don't become a rockstar by stepping off a plane... it's in the things you do. And you did none of those things, so word never got out.

Women almost universally expect men to take the initiative. Filipina girls are no different in this. A great deal of them are shy too, and do not forget they come from a country were women are traditionally still more feminine then their Western counterparts. Perhaps in Western countries, women will approach you, or make their interest very known otherwise. This type of dominance and taking matters in their own hands attitude is typical for modern women. Why would you expect this from a Filipina?

You were a fool to believe that p***y would just fall in your lap like that. It doesn't. And nobody on the forums ever said it would. Each and every single one of us who get women, or got them before, we all talk to them. We approach them. The only way to overcome your shyness is by having positive experiences. To get you in that flow, where it feels like nothing could possibly go wrong. Your expectations were not only unrealistic for the Philippines, they were unrealistic EVERYWHERE. Unless you approach women and socialize, you will never do well anywhere.

This is the core issue. Your bloated face bullshit is just an excuse. Had you talked to women, you would have had sex. You didn't, so no sex for you. This is not rocket science and not worth talking about for so many pages.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

globe-trotter wrote:None. I was assured that they would talk to me (I was supposed to be a rock star in the Philippines, remember?). I was told that they would take the initiative and help me get over my shyness. Again, completely false. If anything, I found many Philippine girls to be cranky and standoffish.
It depends a lot on who you are and what you look like. If you're only average looking, not exact fit (quite easy to tell when you wear summer clothes) and in your mid 40s, you can't expect to be treated like the late Mick Jagger :) You will probably attract a giggle or two from younger girls who get naturally curious at anything that deviates from their routine. The occasional cashier or shop assistant might ask your name and where you're from, plus some intimate questions like if you are taken or free and even how much you earn (it's common in Filipino culture, as it is in Latin America), but it's really up to you to take anything further.

With woman it's always "no pain no gain"...unless you want to pay upfront for it. The bar might be ridiculously lower in the Philippines, compared to US and Western Europe, but to think that everything comes easy & free like fruit fallen from a tree is just delusional.

It also depends on where you go. Women in Metro Manila, Clark, Cebu and touristic places like Boracay are used to seeing foreigners around all the time, many of whom of the expat/businessman kind, and won't exactly jump at the chance to have a casual conversation with yet another one of them. Unless they have to, or are genuinely interested. The latter assumes - once again - some work on your side.

About your shyness, though, it is true that Filipinas and Filipino people in general are so welcoming and friendly, it's hard to put down that mask of cautiousness and indifference we Westerners are often forced to wear in public. You just have to go with the flow. My advice is, don't just stick to the ladies at all costs. Hanging out with male Filipinos your age or a few years younger is incredibly easy, as they will find an excuse to invite you as soon as they have established you're not a complete creep. Then they will easily introduce you to their family and friends, and as your social circle widens you will find more opportunities to meet people...among whom the cute single girl you might be looking for.

Filipinos are gregarious and like when foreigners immerse themselves in their culture and social rites. You just have to leave your prejudices at bay and, really, go with the flow.

globe-trotter wrote:I will tell you what did impress me about the Philippines, though-- the food. I ate Filipino food every day. It's delicious and indulgent. Good, hearty soul food. Love garlic rice, and those fatty strips of pork. I have no idea why the same guys that said the Philippines is a p***y paradise also said that Filipino food sucks. They got it ass-backwards.
Wow, this is the first time I read someone praising FIlipino food in here.

I am a massive fish/seafood and, while living in Davao City, I had some of the most delicious fish-based food ever in my life. It was unsophisticated, fresh and above all cheap. And I'm Italian and have Mamma's meals as a benchmark, so I won't judge food quality lightly. The fried pork belly strips you mention are probably liempo. I love them too. I love fish much better though. The way the grill squid and shrimp, with tomato and onion, and garnish with thick soy-based BBQ sauce is simply nirvana! Tuna, milkfish (bangus) and swordfish are always succulent and fresh, and need very little condiment to bring out their taste. I also tried some very delicious soups and chowders which names I can't remember. Excellent stuff, too.

The difference about the Filipino food haters (most) and the few who praise it might simple be down to the kind of establishments they normally go to. I have noticed most Americans aren't too keen about venturing into the local cuisine and prefer to stick to the acquired taste. They would walk straight into a known franchise (McDonald, Pizza Hut, etc.) or a restaurant that offers that same kind of menu they have back home, in the hope that a burger will make their day, or a burrito will taste exactly like one prepared in Texas. Limited budget might also play a big part. However cheaper than the West, a good 2-3 course meal in a reputable restaurant, say Antonio's Grill, will always cost you about 500 pesos. You can't have quality and pay nothing for it...unless you go straight to the market and cook it by yourself.
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

Globe-Trotter wrote:That was exactly my whole point of starting this thread. It was to point out that if you're an average-looking guy who gets no attention here, the same will be true in the Philippines. You will not be a rock star in the Philippines unless you are one in America. Thirty years ago, it might have been a different story.
God damn it how many logical fallacies do you like to engage in? You a had a bloated face that's bad enough to turn women off in general, you've said yourself, so how can you judge a place for their reaction? Don't you see the contradiction? you state that you don't look like a monster but simultaneously say that they even avoid looking at you.

So what is it? you either really have a condition that's bad enough to repel women, in which case the place is not at fault; or it really is only in your head and the place sucks. But you can't have both.
Globe-Trotter wrote:But let's forget that I ever mentioned my bloating issue, OK? It's too technical for laypeople to understand,
No, again, it's key to the issue at hand; read above. Why couldn't you have kindly stated it on the OP/title? unless your intention was to mislead.
Globe-Trotter wrote:Finally, I don't have to be an "expert" to tell you that the Philippines is not what many people claim it is.
pfff
</thread>
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MarcosZeitola »

droid wrote:
Globe-Trotter wrote:That was exactly my whole point of starting this thread. It was to point out that if you're an average-looking guy who gets no attention here, the same will be true in the Philippines. You will not be a rock star in the Philippines unless you are one in America. Thirty years ago, it might have been a different story.
God damn it how many logical fallacies do you like to engage in? You a had a bloated face that's bad enough to turn women off in general, you've said yourself, so how can you judge a place for their reaction? Don't you see the contradiction? you state that you don't look like a monster but simultaneously say that they even avoid looking at you.

So what is it? you either really have a condition that's bad enough to repel women, in which case the place is not at fault; or it really is only in your head and the place sucks. But you can't have both.
Globe-Trotter wrote:But let's forget that I ever mentioned my bloating issue, OK? It's too technical for laypeople to understand,
No, again, it's key to the issue at hand; read above. Why couldn't you have kindly stated it on the OP/title? unless your intention was to mislead.
Globe-Trotter wrote:Finally, I don't have to be an "expert" to tell you that the Philippines is not what many people claim it is.
pfff
</thread>
Don't bother. He literally said in an earlier post (scroll up if you don't believe me) that he expected women to come to him, because that's what he believed would happen. He never once talked to any women, and he never approached them during his entire stay. Needless to say, he did not get laid and therefore believes his trip to have been a failure.

He should re-name the thread "The Philippines: Sexy Young Things Won't Magically Trip And Fall On Your Dick, or; The Story Of How My Dreams Of Being A Slayer Without Lifting A Finger Were Crushed".
globe-trotter
Freshman Poster

Post by globe-trotter »

MarcosZeitola wrote:You don't become a rockstar by stepping off a plane... it's in the things you do. And you did none of those things, so word never got out.

Women almost universally expect men to take the initiative. Filipina girls are no different in this. A great deal of them are shy too, and do not forget they come from a country were women are traditionally still more feminine then their Western counterparts. Perhaps in Western countries, women will approach you, or make their interest very known otherwise. This type of dominance and taking matters in their own hands attitude is typical for modern women. Why would you expect this from a Filipina?
Then I really wish that all those expat men would have just STFU, or at least painted a more realistic picture of what to expect in the Philippines, instead of leading me to believe that, by stepping foot on Philippine soil, I would be plugging into a different matrix, or a different dimension. It just proves my point that women's nature is the same no matter which country you land in. There is no such thing as a free lunch anywhere.
Again, I'm not blaming the Philippines for this, I'm blaming the advice I got. I'm also angry at myself for believing it, even though I was skeptical at first.