Teaching English question

Discuss working and making a living overseas, starting a business, or studying abroad.
hamdizzel
Freshman Poster

Teaching English question

Post by hamdizzel »

does anyone know any English schools that can also pay for airfare
to the country as well as an apartment yes i need a little help i don't have much money
to my name but i truly need to get out of the US for my health sake so
im taking this big risk and laying it out on the table so if anyone know any english
schools that would pay for all or most of your airplane ticket would like to know thanks
globetrotter
Experienced Poster

Re: teaching english

Post by globetrotter »

hamdizzel wrote:does anyone know any English schools that can also pay for airfare
to the country as well as an apartment yes i need a little help i don't have much money
to my name but i truly need to get out of the US for my health sake so
im taking this big risk and laying it out on the table so if anyone know any english
schools that would pay for all or most of your airplane ticket would like to know thanks
Korea, Japan and China. They reimburse after you get there. You have to have that money to buy the ticket before you fly.

Go to eslcafe.com. Register and read all the forums.

Improve your typing. The assholes on Dave'e have nothing better to do than correct other posters spelling and grammar.
Montanaland
Freshman Poster

$$$$

Post by Montanaland »

Hamdizzel..

As you are young let me point out some websites for you:

http://www.Rigzone.com

http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=oil+driver&l=

You are headed in the right direction and I am also planning on teaching overseas...but please just invest 2-3yrs making $$$ first as an entry-level roustabout or truck driver (oil&gas if possible)..then get a Celta with $25 to+90K in the bank.

Travel dude was 100% correct when he posted that you can pick up a house/condo for $20-50k in parts of S.A. or other places. You don't want to take chances of being some broke missionary just working to feed yourself and pay rent if you don't have to.
globetrotter
Experienced Poster

Re: $$$$

Post by globetrotter »

Montanaland wrote:Hamdizzel..

As you are young let me point out some websites for you:

http://www.Rigzone.com

http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=oil+driver&l=

You are headed in the right direction and I am also planning on teaching overseas...but please just invest 2-3yrs making $$$ first as an entry-level roustabout or truck driver (oil&gas if possible)..then get a Celta with $25 to+90K in the bank.

Travel dude was 100% correct when he posted that you can pick up a house/condo for $20-50k in parts of S.A. or other places. You don't want to take chances of being some broke missionary just working to feed yourself and pay rent if you don't have to.
What are the chances of a 49 year old guy doing this work? I assume that I am too old. You get to that point in life where some opportunities begin to close, mostly due to common sense.
FuzzX
Freshman Poster

Post by FuzzX »

sweet thank you.

Globetrotter: The chances? very very good. You need to go to a truck school though... something around $5000 but there will be a job waiting for you right after. If you are crazy enough to drive the ice roads... the guys that survive make around $90,000 in 6 weeks. :P

If you have a degree (a real one) then you have a gateway to wherever you want in the world. If not 1 year of truck driving can give you enough to live in a 3rd world country for 20 years. :)
Montanaland
Freshman Poster

interview only -maybe!

Post by Montanaland »

If you have a degree (a real one) then you have a gateway to wherever you want in the world.
This was maybe was true in the 70's and 80's, however in the last 15yrs or more the only thing a standard bachelor's degree is good for is helping you get an interview and that's not even certain and your resume has to look professional or have enough fluff in it for the job description. I have minimal experience outside of being a Realtor for 4 wasted yrs and customer service jobs/entry level jobs.

Again, It would of been nice to have dropped out of school like one of my college buddies who's been offshore for the past 5yrs and living in 300k+ house by himself at age 29 and $$$ in the bank....while doing some cake-walk online degree through that school. Finance and mgmt Jobs that require a bachelors degree in Montana start at 25k and top out at 45k... what a joke.

The hardcore drilling and exploration jobs are roughneck jobs that require youth and great physical exertion.

By the way globetrotter I just pulled into a local gas station last night where a 60+yrs old dude was standing next to his double tanker truck refilling the tanks for Farstad oil. http://www.farstadoil.com I'm sure he makes at least or around 5-6k a month.

Another easy gig that requires one year of school is that Refinery operations program...where you sit on your butt at shift work for Conoco, Exxon, BP etc. @65k+yr and monitor gauges and computer screens. Those refinery gigs are open all over the world.
hamdizzel
Freshman Poster

Post by hamdizzel »

its all good i got plenty of options to choose from the only thing i would really i have to take care
of is airfare money which is not that hard. there are plenty of long-term volunteer positions
in countries you basically trade your skill or work (teaching English or some other job to the locals)
for food and room and bored. that is what i want i don't care about being rich i want to go to a little
quiet village somewhere in the country and teach i hate the city.
so anyhow any job here in the US will do for a little while
janitor/custodian security, dishwasher. and maybe i'll covince myself to get a 4 year college
degree but whew thats a long 4 years
FuzzX
Freshman Poster

Post by FuzzX »

Montana: I'm actually talking just about the ESL field because the question was directed towards Teaching English.

I know what I'm talking about here... In the ESL field if you have a degree you are free to roam wherever you choose, you can work in any country in the world. I've been teaching on just a TESOL for the last 5 years and nothing else and I could do it much much easier and with alot less stress with a degree. I've worked in Japan, Korea, Brazil and Mexico and I've done it all on tourist visas. All schools abroad want the degree for is to get past immigration. That's all... there isn't anything useful past that and 99% of schools couldn't care less if you've got an MA or BA or FU as long as immigration OKs it and gives you a visa.

Almost anyone can teach English... I've even met a retarded guy with a speech impediment who was a teacher.

You can generally work in the 3rd world without a degree and get official papers... Mexico, Peru, Latin America and most of south america minus Brazil. A couple places in asia and a couple in europe... Poland for sure. I'm getting my degree online at athabasca university but I'm still going to go back and teach while I do it. Get a TESOL or a CELTA and you're gold in the 3rd world... when you want to move out to a first world country you need to ramp it up a bit. So if you are into latin girls, you just need the TESOL... If you just want to relax and live the good life, goto Mexico or email me, I've got some contacts that could help you out a bit. Mexico/Peru/Poland/Argentina/Myanmar (I know for certain don't require degrees)... honestly unless you love teaching, I would just take the certificate option because 4 years is a hellish long time to sit in a classroom.

http://www.globaltesol.com <-- where I got my certificate from. It took 1 week, $1000 and a 2 days later I was sitting in Korea making $2500/month.

CELTA <-- rat bastards and politically correct b1tches. No offense globetrotter but I failed that course twice in a row. :)

Ham: Get a CDL for truck driving and do that (6 week course). With what you make in a year you can live in Mexico for 10. Total cost $5000.. if you are doing long haul then you can pay that back in a month.

If you are sort of broke, I recommend getting a Forklift training certificate... costs about $150, takes half a day and pay is somewhere around $15/hour... I dunno about the USA though but they pay fairly decent here in Canada and its fun.
globetrotter
Experienced Poster

Post by globetrotter »

FuzzX wrote: CELTA <-- rat bastards and politically correct b1tches. No offense globetrotter but I failed that course twice in a row.
I have worked in corporate PC bullshit land so I could see what the tenor of the Celta was about. I bit my tongue and passed. I agree that it is PC bullshit, but I have it now.
hamdizzel
Freshman Poster

Post by hamdizzel »

i have a TESOL certifcate the only issue i would have is getting past the damn immigration stuff
and deceding whether to save up money here and look for a job there or get an offer from a school
in the US im all for going there first so anyhow how to get a work visa/work permit thats the only issue
and im set..