Let's talk about how we did good not bad abroad

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Let's talk about how we did good not bad abroad

Post by newlifeinphilippines »

Instead of talking about wifes or getting laid abroad Id like to hear of positive experiences abroad that have nothing to do with that. Charity work, missionary work, starting a business, helping someone in need. Id like to hear stories about that from people who have done anything. Lets influence the rest of the world for the better not worse.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Let's talk about how we did good not bad abroad

Post by Jester »

I like the idea.

I challenge you to lead the way on this.

Seriously.

I think it would be a revolutionary, out-of-the-box way to re-envision going abroad.

Personally, the only place I'd even fantasized that I could make a diff (while earning a living) was the Phils, because of the common language (English), and because the people are pretty broke and thus receptive.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Post by newlifeinphilippines »

Jester wrote:I like the idea.

I challenge you to lead the way on this.

Seriously.

I think it would be a revolutionary, out-of-the-box way to re-envision going abroad.

Personally, the only place I'd even fantasized that I could make a diff (while earning a living) was the Phils, because of the common language (English), and because the people are pretty broke and thus receptive.
Id like to but youll have a long wait im not leaving my house for quite a while LOL
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

newlifeinphilippines wrote:..... Id like to hear of positive experiences abroad ..... Charity work, missionary work, starting a business, helping someone in need. Id like to hear stories about that from people who have done anything
I am helping some people in Philippines. At the beginning, around 2004/2005 I was helping a poor woman and her 2 children, she lost everything she had - without her fault. She got seriously ill, lost her job, and suddenly was a big flood coming into Cebu after weeks of heavy rain and they were homeless. The rented little wooden house and all inside disappeared.

I gave some money to buy a tiny house (but has a land titel) for them. She and her two children were very happy. Later on I accepted the idea from her to take care of an abandoned girl, who had serious health problems because of malnutrition and mistreatment - also her cousin and her elder sister could be located. I decided to pay for a simple construction - another house with 3 floors - and the first tiny house is now rented out and makes some additional money for them. This was all about 10 years ago.

These 2 children of this woman are now adults, married, have also children and earn enough for their modest way of life. The older sister and the cousin of my Filipina foster daughter are now also 18+ and have some small income.

My foster daughter is now 19 and still a student in Sto. Carlos University, already since 2 years. - I was thinking 10 years ago that she will never even finish public elementary school but I was wrong.

I never lost the contact with all of them and still supporting my foster daughter and so I am going to Cebu every year for vacation. I also collect many things which our office staff does not need anymore and send frequently so-called 'Balikbayan' shipping boxes.