German killed, Frenchman, Indian wounded in shooting - Cebu

Discuss news and current events around the world.
starchild5
Veteran Poster

German killed, Frenchman, Indian wounded in shooting - Cebu

Post by starchild5 »

http://globalnation.inquirer.net/118865 ... t-in-cebu/

CEBU CITY—A German was killed while a Frenchman and an Indian were wounded early Friday after they were shot by two Filipinos following an argument inside a fast food restaurant in Barangay Tabunok, Talisay City, about 12 km south of here.

The German, Henry Haffner, 31 and a temporary resident of Barangay Tisa in Cebu City, suffered a gunshot wound in the stomach and died a few minutes after he was brought to a private hospital.

Wounded were Frenchman Julian Millard, 31 and Cheten Saparaiya, 32, Indian national – both married and residents of Barangay Pooc in Talisay City.

Both were in stable condition at a government hospital in Cebu City.

SPO1 Mikie Espina, Talisay police investigator, said Millard and Saparaiya were with a Filipina inside McDonald’s in Barangay Tabunok past 4 a.m. on Friday.

Haffner was not with the group and was on another table, said Espina.

The Filipina told the police that they were eating about 4:20 a.m. when two Filipinos arrived and started to make fun at them.
The two foreigners, however, confronted the two Filipinos and an argument ensued.

The two Filipinos pulled out their guns and shot the foreigners. Millard was hit in the arm and foot while Saparaiya was wounded in the nape.

Haffer ran to the second floor but was chased by one of the Filipinos who apparently thought that the German was with the two foreigners. Haffer was shot in the stomach.

The two perpetrators then left the restaurant, boarded a motorcycle and sped off.

Police later recovered at least 16 empty shells from 9mm pistol and another 5 empty shells from .45 caliber pistol as well as 11 deformed slugs from the two guns.

Espina said they were looking into the possibility that the Filipinos and two foreigners knew each other prior to the shooting incident.

He added they also asked the restaurant management a copy of the CCTV footage inside and outside the establishment to get the identities of the gunmen.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: German killed, Frenchman, Indian wounded in shooting - C

Post by MarcosZeitola »

I can think of no worse place to die or be fatally wounded in then McDonalds... to have that horrendous clown face be the last thing you see before you leave this earth. The horror... :(
On "Faux-Tradionalists" and why they're heading nowhere: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=37&t=29144
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

starchild5 wrote: .... they were eating about 4:20 a.m. when two Filipinos arrived and started to make fun at them.
The two foreigners, however, confronted the two Filipinos and an argument ensued.
Most crimes happen during late nighttime, not only in Cebu...

Why are these foreigners out of their rooms, out of their building at that time? 4:20 AM?

Arguments between Asian locals and foreigners might end badly at that late time, not only in Philippines.

I never had a problem like that, as I am never out in the streets past 10 pm in Cebu City.

Shops in Cebu are closing early and the city is becoming very dark, nothing there past 9 pm in places in Talisay or in Mandaue etc... Only some fast-food places are open and some pharmacies. Cebu is not safe for a foreigner past midnight.

I buy all what I need, food, drinks etc. and bring it back to my room not later than 9 pm.
Luc Furr
Freshman Poster

Post by Luc Furr »

add 44 dead cops, Chinese travel warning to the Philippines, Koreans worried about safety and Korean investment drying up = big big trouble for the Philippines.

http://www.ttgasia.com/article.php?article_id=23820
http://thediplomat.com/2014/09/koreans- ... ilippines/
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

These 44 policemen died in a region in Southern Philippines, well-known to be dangerous, and no foreigner should even think about to go there.

China has its own crimes, this travel warning is politically motivated, and about Koreans, I remember the last killing of 2 Korean men in Cebu, both were gangsters and police in Cebu was surprised when the bodies were found how it is possible for a foreigner even to go to such a slum place.

As I said already, stay in a safe area during late night-time, stay away from drugs - do not enter slum areas - etc. etc. use common sense.

I have been in Philippines, especially in Cebu/Bohol/Leyte many times, no troubles.
starchild5
Veteran Poster

Post by starchild5 »

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/local-ne ... ebu-393429

Police arrest suspect in shooting of 3 foreigners in Cebu

TALISAY City police arrested one of the suspects in the shooting of three foreigners inside a fast food joint in Barangay Tabunok on Friday dawn.

The shooting, which began with an argument between a group of Filipinos and foreigners, killed a German national and wounded a Frenchman and an Indian man.

Supt. Carmelo Dayon, the city police chief, identified the arrested man as Allan Velos, 35, of Barangay San Isidro, Talisay City.

Advertisement
Velos, he said, was involved in several robberies in the south and was previously linked to a shootout with Talisay City policemen last Jan. 22, during a follow-up operation.

A witness identified Velos as one of the alleged assailants who shot a Frenchman and an Indian man outside the restaurant.

The witness, Dayon said, was about to go inside to buy food when the shooting took place. He saw Velos and also knew him.

The police went to Velos’s house in Barangay San Isidro and caught him past 5 p.m.

But when interviewed by the police, Velos denied being involved in the shooting. He will be subjected to a paraffin test, which will show whether or not he recently fired a gun.

Tourist shot

Henry Haffner, a 31-year-old tourist from Germany who was temporarily staying in Barangay Tisa, Cebu City, died from multiple gunshot wounds in his body, police said.

Wounded were French national Julian Millard, 31, and Indian national Cheten Saparaiya, 32, both living in Barangay Pooc, Talisay City. They are now confined in a government hospital and in stable condition.

The two gunmen, armed with .40 pistols, were videotaped by the establishment’s security cameras but they have yet to be identified, said Supt. Dayon.

Talisay police investigators are now seeking the help of police intelligence units in the Cebu Provincial Police Office (CPPO) and Police Regional Office (PRO) 7 who may have past criminal records of the gunmen in their files.

“Sa ilang ka-aggressive nga mopatay ug tawo nga gamay ra nga altercation, we believe they could be involved in (other) crimes (They were so aggressive to kill a person over such as minor altercation),” Dayon told Sun.Star Cebu.

CPPO Director Senior Supt. Noel Gillamac formed a team to help look for the suspects.

Mayor’s call

Talisay City Mayor Johnny de los Reyes called on the police, barangay and city officials to act together to capture the criminals and prevent similar attacks.

In a press statement, he urged the police to get to the bottom of the case; asked barangay tanods to be more visible in their communities to deter crimes; and urged City Hall officials to enforce security precautions, such as installing closed-circuit television (CCTV) cameras.

PO2 Edwin Campomanes, one of the investigators, said that Millard, his girlfriend and Saparaiya went to the fast food joint, located in Barangay Tabunok beside a shopping mall, to have snacks past 4 a.m. They sat at a table near the door.

Garlic

Both foreigners went to the counter to order food, leaving Millard’s girlfriend alone. Sitting beside them was a group of Filipinos, two men and one woman.

Upon hearing Saparaiya order garlic rice, the other group made a snide remark that
irked Millard’s girlfriend, Campomanes said.

This led to a confrontation where both foreigners reportedly got involved.

The other group left the establishment later and Saparaiya asked the management if they have security cameras, which he could used as evidence in reporting the group to authorities.

Haffner later arrived to meet his fiancée. They had planned to go swimming in Oslob town. He was already in his beach attire.

Chased

According to Haffner’s fiancee, they saw Saparaiya questioning the management. They ordered food and left.

While they were at the door, six armed men on three motorcycles arrived.

One of them suddenly shot Haffner in the shoulder, followed by several gunshots that broke the establishment’s door.

Haffner ran to the second floor and hid in the storage area. However, two gunmen followed him there and shot him several times, until he fell.

Police later found five empty shells and a deformed slug fired from a .40 pistol there.

Seconds after the shooting began, Millard and Saparaiya were peppered with bullets on the ground floor. Both foreigners were hit but managed to find their way to the comfort room, where they hid.

The huge window glass bore several bullet holes.

The police found 16 empty shells from a 9mm pistol; five empty shells from a .45 pistol; 11 deformed slugs fired from a gun of unknown caliber; and one deformed bullet outside the joint.

Haffner was brought by the Emergency Rescue Unit Foundation (ERUF) to Chong Hua Hospital, but he died few minutes after arriving at the hospital.

Priorities

Millard and Saparaiya were rushed by Talisay Rescue Emergency Assistance Team (TREAT) to the Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center (VSMMC), also in Cebu City.

Dayon, when interviewed by Sun.Star Cebu, said they believed Haffner was only mistaken for a friend of Millard and Saparaiya.

Dayon said they will also look into the possible liability of the security guard who allegedly hid when the gunfire began.

When Sun.Star Cebu visited the fast food joint yesterday, the establishment was closed.

A press statement sent by Adi Timbol, PR and communications manager, said that the restaurant was temporarily closed to give way to the investigation.

The management also assured that the safety of its customers and employees remains their top priority, and vowed to cooperate with the authorities.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Conflicts between Pilipinos and Poreners often follow this pattern:

Stage One:

A Pilipino or group of Pilipinos insult the Porener without any provocation or chide his wife/gf for being with the Porener.

or

A Pilipino cheats/swindles the Porener, borrows money and does not return it, or makes a serious mistake due to gross incompetence or neglect which causes the Porener to lose money or time.

The Pilipino does not apologize or make any amends. He still does not return the money.

Stage Two

The Porener gets angry and stands up for himself to defend his own honor or his GF's honor.

or

He demands that the money he was swindled of be returned. He demands for proper service for which he paid to be rendered as promised.

Stage Three The Pilipino becomes very angry and loses all control. He runs amok. It's the Malay thing. He attacks the Porener verbally and then, often harms or even kills him.

Stage Four

The other Pilipinos mostly cheer and support their compatriots because they are fellow Pilipinos. They blame the Porener - it was all his fault because he should not have provoked the Pilipino. The police does some investigation. Sometimes they catch them, sometimes they don't.

Stage Five

The case is forgotten, everybody is smiling and happy, let's now all think positive and let's all enjoy. Let's forget the negative stuff.

Curtain.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster

Post by Teal Lantern »

ladislav wrote:Conflicts between Pilipinos and Poreners often follow this pattern:

Stage One:

A Pilipino or group of Pilipinos insult the Porener without any provocation or chide his wife/gf for being with the Porener.

Stage Five[/b]

The case is forgotten, everybody is smiling and happy, let's now all think positive and let's all enjoy. Let's forget the negative stuff.

Curtain.
Sounds a lot like the projects. :roll:
не поглеждай назад. 8)

"Even an American judge is unlikely to award child support for imputed children." - FredOnEverything
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MarcosZeitola »

ladislav wrote:Conflicts between Pilipinos and Poreners often follow this pattern:

Stage One:

or

A Pilipino cheats/swindles the Porener, borrows money and does not return it, or makes a serious mistake due to gross incompetence or neglect which causes the Porener to lose money or time.

The Pilipino does not apologize or make any amends. He still does not return the money.

Stage Two

The Porener gets angry and stands up for himself to defend his own honor or his GF's honor.

or

He demands that the money he was swindled of be returned. He demands for proper service for which he paid to be rendered as promised.

Stage Three The Pilipino becomes very angry and loses all control. He runs amok. It's the Malay thing. He attacks the Porener verbally and then, often harms or even kills him.

Stage Four

The other Pilipinos mostly cheer and support their compatriots because they are fellow Pilipinos. They blame the Porener - it was all his fault because he should not have provoked the Pilipino. The police does some investigation. Sometimes they catch them, sometimes they don't.

Stage Five

Curtain.
Being screwed over can be prevented simply by always being around Filipino friends and relatives and having them do the talking and negotiating in virtually all situations. The moment they see you are a foreigner, they will assume you are rich and therefore will conclude you probably won't miss the money anyway. That's how the justify screwing you over. The only way to not get screwed over, is to send a Filipino. You want to check into a motel? Send your girlfriend to ask for the price first, when she tells you the price you step in and pay up - they cannot raise the price anymore since they'll see your girlfriend\wife stand next to you. Sometimes, even then, they will try to talk to her in their native tongue to get her in on their scam: they are THAT shameless! It happened to me in 2013, when my then-fiancée and I got our pictures taken by some people in a Manila national park. They were going to charge us 1500 pesos for what would cost a native Pinoy barely 500. My fiancée told me it was too much, and so I refused to pay. They then talked to my wife in Tagalog and told her: "C'mon, don't you see he's rich? He can miss it! Just let us have 1500!" My wife translated it to me, and I threatened to either call a cop (there were several walking around) or assault them. Suddenly, we could get the pictures for 500.

I wonder if sometimes, when a con artist meets a foreigner and his girlfriend, they actually manage to get the girlfriend in on the scam somehow? Because they literally have the audacity to talk to her right in front of you. May not be a bad idea to try and learn the language and know the prices, too! ;)
On "Faux-Tradionalists" and why they're heading nowhere: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=37&t=29144
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

MarcosZeitola wrote:
They then talked to my wife in Tagalog and told her: "C'mon, don't you see he's rich? He can miss it! Just let us have 1500!" My wife translated it to me
+1 to Mrs Zeitola
:lol:
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

Yohan wrote:
starchild5 wrote: .... they were eating about 4:20 a.m. when two Filipinos arrived and started to make fun at them.
Most crimes happen during late nighttime, not only in Cebu...

Why are these foreigners out of their rooms, out of their building at that time? 4:20 AM?
I think this phenomena is not so out of the ordinary. Many moons ago, I was a on a late night road trip in the US. My friends and I stopped at a 24hr diner for something to eat, somewhere in that 3-4 AM time slot.

Well, there was this hot gal and her trench coat-ed BF, wearing a stetson, at the place. Some of my friends, though not I, was checking her out. Well, the couple had started walking out of the place, however, as the guy past our tables, he opened his trench coat, and revealed to my friends, that he was packing a pistol on his belt. He simply smiled and left. My friends were mortified.
Many years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

Beware of long term engagements with AWs, you may find yourself in a coffin.

AB discussion thread

BTW, despite settling down with an AW, myself, the warning is still in effect.
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

MarcosZeitola wrote:I can think of no worse place to die or be fatally wounded in then McDonalds... to have that horrendous clown face be the last thing you see before you leave this earth. The horror... :(
I have always admired his shoe's.
\
Time to Hide!