Mellow Yellow

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Mellow Yellow

Post by Jester »

These Asian guys are hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kdged78DO-I

Funny thing is, this is exactly how I was raised

I'm not saying I'm Yellow on the inside

I'm saying that just maybe - my parents were
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Zionosis
Freshman Poster

Re: Mellow Yellow

Post by Zionosis »

Never got why Caucasian people call Asians yellow. I see so many tanned Caucasian people that are closer to yellow or even many white people who look like a red color nearly.

White people are more like reddish pink people.

Where as the east Asians are closer to milk color and usually don't have the red tinge Caucasian people have.

If you are going by the pure color white and a color chart the east Asians are actually closer on average. lol.

That being said the south east Asians of course have the tan skin color. I wouldn't call it yellow though.

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Serious answer to your question...

I believe the meaning of the word "yellow" has changed.

In the past it did not mean, and could not have meant, lemon-yellow.

Evidence:
One of the most famous phrases from American political history:
"I'd vote for a yellow dog before I'd vote for a Republican"

In other words, "yellow" used to refer to the tan color of a "tawny" dog.

I suspect that lemons were unknown in the USA until we expanded into Mexico, and damned rare until reefer cars were added to trains after 1900.

A "yellow" person, therefore, was of a skin color lighter than brown or black. Nothing to do with the color of lemons or French's mustard.

Quadroons, people of mixed race, 1/4 Black, were referred to as "Yellow" as well. Hence the Texas state song, about a superbly beautiful bargirl, "The Yellow Rose Of Texas".

Really.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

Zionosis wrote:White people are more like reddish pink people.
Oh c'mon, it's obvious that many caucasians have a reddish or pinkish undertone. If they didn't, they'd be called an albino, which looks like a fairly sickly person ...

If I don't wear a strong sunblock, I turn red as a lobster after being out in the sun for a number of hours. The albino above would probably be in a cancer ward w/o SPF 100+ lotion, along with a hat.
Many years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

Beware of long term engagements with AWs, you may find yourself in a coffin.

AB discussion thread

BTW, despite settling down with an AW, myself, the warning is still in effect.