SKo decriminalises adultery, condom shares soar

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster

SKo decriminalises adultery, condom shares soar

Post by Teal Lantern »

http://news.yahoo.com/south-korea-legal ... 19360.html
South Korea's Constitutional Court on Thursday struck down a controversial adultery law which for more than 60 years had criminalised extra-marital sex and jailed violators for up to two years.

The decision saw shares in the South Korean firm Unidus Corp., one of the world's largest condom manufacturers, soar by the daily limit of 15 percent on the local stock exchange.

The nine-member bench ruled by seven to two that the 1953 statute aimed at protecting traditional family values was unconstitutional.
I imagine Henry Makow will have a fit about this. :lol:
Worth reading: Politically Incorrect Advice for Young Men
http://savethemales.ca/
не поглеждай назад. 8)

"Even an American judge is unlikely to award child support for imputed children." - FredOnEverything
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: SKo decriminalises adultery, condom shares soar

Post by Cornfed »

I knew that place was going to shit. Sigh.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Cornfed wrote:I knew that place was going to shit. Sigh.
It's been going to shit for a while, though. But, there are still some decent women there--even if the supply of good women is dwindling every year.
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MarcosZeitola »

Korea is already too Westernized and modernized to be a viable place for young men to seek decent family-oriented women anyway.

Adultery should be discouraged, not encouraged. The fact that condom sales immediately went up with 15% says it all. This is what happens when men don't give it to their women long and hard enough. A woman needs a man in her life, by her side, and inside her. If she cannot find such a man in her husband, she will have to look otherwise. It's sad but true. You need to first be together for a while to know that you are compatible sexually as well as emotionally, before you make that ultimate commitment.
On "Faux-Tradionalists" and why they're heading nowhere: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=37&t=29144
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

MarcosZeitola wrote:KA woman needs a man in her life, by her side, and inside her. If she cannot find such a man in her husband, she will have to look otherwise.
Dude, she will want to look elsewhere no matter what.
ryanx
Freshman Poster

Post by ryanx »

Cornfed, dude! what is your avatar all about?
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

MarcosZeitola wrote:Korea is already too Westernized and modernized to be a viable place for young men to seek decent family-oriented women anyway.

Adultery should be discouraged, not encouraged. The fact that condom sales immediately went up with 15% says it all. This is what happens when men don't give it to their women long and hard enough. A woman needs a man in her life, by her side, and inside her. If she cannot find such a man in her husband, she will have to look otherwise. It's sad but true. You need to first be together for a while to know that you are compatible sexually as well as emotionally, before you make that ultimate commitment.
No condom sales didn't increase 15%. The stock price on Korean bourse of Unidus (Korean condom producer) rose limit up (which in Korea is 15% above previous day's close). Short term stock price swings are often a barometer of public sentiment and mass psychology which often is very exaggerated and out of whack with reality.

Just look how hard the stock indices and industry sub-indexes across the board in Taiwan and China fell during SARS era many years ago even though the virus only ended up killing a handful of people and leaving fundamentals of many local industries largely unscathed.

Only time will tell how much this new law will actually increase the earnings and fundamental value of Unidus. Short term stock price swings tend to indicate overblown excitement or panic more than anything else.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

ryanx wrote:Cornfed, dude! what is your avatar all about?
Me being hugged by Korean schoolgirls.
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

I'm pretty fascist myself, but the state shouldn't meddle with what happens indoors. There should be a clear line between public an private affairs.
I do agree though in punishing those shoving agendas down people's throats (i.e. tv); even though this contradicts the above a bit.
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

droid wrote:I'm pretty fascist myself, but the state shouldn't meddle with what happens indoors. There should be a clear line between public an private affairs.
I do agree though in punishing those shoving agendas down people's throats (i.e. tv); even though this contradicts the above a bit.
TV, radio, and satellite-fed cable networks all utilize airwaves that are the common property of mankind.

So how the airwaves get used is up to us, not them.

Imagine the French are dumping nuclear waste off the coast of Somalia. Or Japanese are blatantly overfishing and calling it "research". These acts are everybody's business. The ocean is the common property of mankind.

The airwaves are like that.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

I am not sure about the divorce laws in South Korea.

Adultery as a crime is one side, no-fault divorce is another side. I think, South Korea does not have a 'no-fault divorce'.

They changed the law as nowadays most spouses accused of adultery are women and not men.

I am not sure what South Korea will do in future, maybe changing the laws similar to Japanese laws?

Here in Japan divorce is easy, there is no alimony, no child support etc. - most divorce cases are out of court, as young people do not own much, their home is mostly based on rent, lawyers are expensive and courts are slow.

A marriage contract is now legally seen rather worthless in Japan, but on the other side, there is no risk like in Western countries that the ex-husband will be misused as a walking ATM by the ex-wife and their children after divorce.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

MarcosZeitola wrote:Korea is already too westernized and modernized to be a viable place for young men to seek decent family-oriented women anyway. Adultery should be discouraged, not encouraged.
Reading this article I wonder what adultery has to do with gender equality.
- Improving gender equality -
The law was originally designed to protect the rights of women at a time when marriage afforded them few legal rights, with most having no independent income and divorce carrying enormous social stigma.
It's a strange feminist argument to justify adultery.
Yoo Hye-Jung, a 23-year-old college student, suggested that people unable to report adulterous spouses to the police might now resort to more violent methods of exacting revenge.
"If the law doesn't punish adultery and I can't act on my feelings of betrayal, I might take the law into my own hands," Yoo said.
It is well-known that Korean people are violent-ready, this comment makes me worried.
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MarcosZeitola »

Yohan wrote:Reading this article I wonder what adultery has to do with gender equality.
Gender equality is a sign of modern times, and adultery is too. Not the act itself, which is of all times, but the growing acceptance of it the phenomenon. People in less modernized and westernized nations will still cheat, but will at least have the shame and stigma attached to it. Whereas in my own country, for example, there are commercials on national television promoting sites that allow you to cheat on your "boring" partner.
Yohan wrote:
Yoo Hye-Jung, a 23-year-old college student, suggested that people unable to report adulterous spouses to the police might now resort to more violent methods of exacting revenge.
"If the law doesn't punish adultery and I can't act on my feelings of betrayal, I might take the law into my own hands," Yoo said.
It is well-known that Korean people are violent-ready, this comment makes me worried.
Good. If you cheat on a partner you are in a committed relationship with, and you get caught, tough titty. I don't have much compassion for someone who gets in serious trouble for that; revenge is understandable. As a saying in my country goes: "He who burns his ass, must sit on the blisters!"
On "Faux-Tradionalists" and why they're heading nowhere: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=37&t=29144
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

MarcosZeitola wrote:
As a saying in my country goes: "He who burns his a**, must sit on the blisters!"
:lol:

That must sound funny with a Dutch accent!

:lol:
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Yohan wrote:
Here in Japan divorce is easy, there is no alimony, no child support etc. - most divorce cases are out of court, as young people do not own much, their home is mostly based on rent, lawyers are expensive and courts are slow.
Cool!