A Big Synagogue

Discuss religion and spirituality topics.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

A Big Synagogue

Post by fschmidt »

I visited a big Chabad Orthodox synagogue in San Antonio last Saturday, and this is my trip report. I had only visited small synagogues before with not more than 20 people. The San Antonio synagogue had over 100 and was really my first exposure to mass Judaism. I didn't like what I saw, but at least I think I understand Judaism for the first time. I had thought of Judaism as a religion or a race, but now I see that both are wrong. Judaism is a culture. I was not raised in that culture. So while all of the 100 people in the synagogue had similar behaviors, I felt like I didn't fit in at all since I didn't share this. But now I understand the logic of Judaism.

Defining a Jew as having a Jewish mother actually makes some sense since culture is usually passed through the mother. Anyone who does not have a Jewish mother will not be raised in the Jewish culture. And 99% of those with a Jewish mother will be raised in the Jewish culture (but not religion). I am one the 1% or less with a Jewish mother who is not culturally Jewish.

And now the Talmud actually makes some sense. The Hebrew Bible (Old Testament) is a religious book. But the Talmud is not. The Talmud micromanages one's life as a way of preserving culture. So truly meaningless rituals like lighting shabbat candles are in the Talmud but not in the Bible. The Talmud is a detailed law book for Jewish culture that has almost nothing to do with morality or religion and everything to do with culture.

And now the difficulty of converting to Judaism makes sense. Converting to Judaism isn't joining a religion, it is joining a culture. Only those willing to completely submit to rabbis are accepted and the result is that the children of these converts will be raised in Jewish culture.

I was not terribly impressed with Jewish culture. It is not very intellectual or honest. I grew up in New Jersey with the culture of Bruce Springsteen. I much prefer that culture to Jewish culture, but that culture no longer exists. American culture today is so horrible that I prefer any alternative including Judaism. But Talmudic Judaism is quite far from ideal, so I will continue looking at other options. I will give the Karaites another look and try to learn more about Islam.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

WorldTraveler
Experienced Poster

Re: A Big Synagogue

Post by WorldTraveler »

I used to live in NJ and knew many Jews. What religion were you raised? I don't think you can make in broad generalizations about all Jews from Orthodox Jews. Most Jews are not Orthodox so are going to be very different. Only 10% of the Jews are Orthodox. Most are much less religious. In fact 58% of Jews today are marring outside their religion. I'm no expert, but I'm referring to this article here:

http://www.pewforum.org/2013/10/01/jewi ... re-survey/

:D
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

You really should read Shlomo Sand's books. Religion is just a tool to be used at the top to help our rulers gain control over the world. Current Judaism is under heavy influence from our rulers, Orthodox Jews usually try and make this clear and separate themselves from the Zionist. Don't believe the DNA testing put out by the mainstream, it's all part of the plot for total world domination.

Allow me to issue the currency.
Time to Hide!
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

WorldTraveler wrote:I used to live in NJ and knew many Jews. What religion were you raised? I don't think you can make in broad generalizations about all Jews from Orthodox Jews. Most Jews are not Orthodox so are going to be very different.
I was raised Atheist. I also knew a lot of Jews in New Jersey who weren't Orthodox. They have all the flaws of modern liberal culture. I was hoping that the Orthodox would be better than this. But now it seems that religion only really effects the ultra-Orthodox.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

I was just banned from the Jewish forum where I had posted questions about Judaism.

http://www.thehebrewcafe.com/forum/

I haven't even posted there recently. I have no idea why I was banned.

My feeling right now is f**k Talmudic Judaism. I can't believe how intolerant they are to contrary views, while they tolerate all the evils of liberal Judaism. I have never been banned from white nationalist forums or Islamic forums. Anyone interested in Talmudic Judaism should read this book:

I am spending this shabbat reading about Islam.
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

Why do you even bother with religion? I feel it is fascinating how it is used as a front merged with usury to conquer all of us. Both Judaism and Catholism have a lot to hide at the top of there power structures so probing with any ?'s that dig below the surface will more than likely get you banned from most sites. When you have been looting the dumb masses for centuries you better be running a good con with all kinds of deception to thwart the truth.

Remember people vote with their pocket book, if you have depth to where you can see outside the box and do not care about money the other 90% who are shallow and make money their main priority in life will ridicule and shun you in pursuit of it. Our rulers figured this long ago and the majority rule and that is how they drive us the direction they want to go because the majority will do their bidding for ink and paper without ?.

There is no shortage of idiots in this world.
Time to Hide!
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

Moretorque wrote:Why do you even bother with religion?
-----------------------------------
The question which perturbs every mind today is whether religion is, when all is said and done, necessary to humanity. Now a cursory glance at the history of human civilization will show that religion has been the supreme force in the development of mankind to its present condition. That all that is good and noble in man has been inspired by faith in God is a truth at which perhaps even an atheist would not cavil. One Abraham, one Moses, one Krishna, one Buddha, one Christ, one Muhammad has, each in his turn and his degree, changed the whole history of the human race and raised it from the depths of degradation to moral heights undreamed of. It is through the teachings of this or that prophet that man has been able to conquer his lower nature and to set before himself the noblest ideals of selflessness and the service of humanity. A study of the noble sentiments that inspire man today will show their origin in the teachings and examples of some great sage who had deep faith in God and through whom was sown the seed of faith in other human hearts. The moral and ethical development of man to his present state, if due to any one cause, is due to religion. Humanity has yet to find out whether the lofty emotions which inspire man today will survive after a generation or two of Godlessness, and what sentiments materialism will bring in its train. To all appearances, the reign of materialism must need entail the rule of selfishness, for a cut and dried scheme for the equal division of wealth will not inspire the noble sentiments which are today the pride of man and which centuries of religion have instilled into his very being. If the sanction of religion were withdrawn today, the ignorant masses — and the masses will always remain ignorant though they may be able to read and write — will sink back, gradually of course, into a state of savagery, while even those who reckon themselves above the common level will no longer feel the inspiration to noble and high ideals which only faith in God can give.

As a matter of fact, human civilization, as we have it today, is, whether it likes the idea or not, based on religion. Religion has made possible a state of civilization which has again and again saved human society from disruption. If its history is traced back anywhere, it will be seen that whenever it has begun to totter, a new religious impulse has always been at hand to save it from complete extinction. Not only that civilization, with any pretence to endurance, can rest solely on a moral basis, and that true and lofty morals are inspired only by faith in God, but even the unity and cohesion of jarring human elements, without which it is impossible for any civilization to survive, is best brought about by the unifying force of religion.
-----------------------------------
Ali, Maulana Muhammad. The Religion of Islam 1936
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

In this day and age it would seem like we would grow up and beyond some of these childish notions like Satan, brimstone and fire. I have not lived for millennia's so I could follow these religions for thousands of years since the day's of their inceptions so I cannot say whether they have been used for more good than bad but I will tell you our current rulers are using them for their plans of the one world system they want.

I think it is time for humanity to grow and move on.
Time to Hide!
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

-----

Post by Ghost »

-----
Last edited by Ghost on October 26th, 2016, 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

OK so the problem is people are stupid, does this hit home more appropriately ?
Time to Hide!
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on February 28th, 2020, 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

Most religions to me seem like mans overactive imagination at work, is there a problem with reality ? I don't like living in a bull sh it world.
Time to Hide!