Winston in China! Updates and Photos

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Winston is in China now! Updates and Reports

Post by Winston »

Thanks smallcheese. It seems that the simplest way into Macau is to take the bus from Gongbei to the airport directly. How do I do that?

Why don't they just make Macau a direct part of China so there's no immigration or customs or border? It's stupid that Hong Kong and Macau belong to China but there is an immigration border. It doesn't make logical sense.

Check out my complaints about Chinese men and bicycles in China here:
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=26846

Any logical explanation?

I'm probably going to Zhongshan first though, because I have someone to visit there before I leave.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

smallcheese
Freshman Poster

Post by smallcheese »

Winston wrote:Thanks smallcheese. It seems that the simplest way into Macau is to take the bus from Gongbei to the airport directly. How do I do that?

Why don't they just make Macau a direct part of China so there's no immigration or customs or border? It's stupid that Hong Kong and Macau belong to China but there is an immigration border. It doesn't make logical sense.

Check out my complaints about Chinese men and bicycles in China here:
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=26846

Any logical explanation?

I'm probably going to Zhongshan first though, because I have someone to visit there before I leave.
After you get into Macau going through the Gongbei border crossing, there is a public bus route called AP-1 which takes you to the airport. It costs about $6 MOP or HKD. But the biggest issue with this bus is that the ride will take about 50 minutes to an hour because it has many stops on it including the Ferry Terminal, Sands, parts of downtown Macau and eventually the last stop, the Macau International Airport. Unfortunately it's the only bus available from the border crossing.

Another option is to take the free shuttle buses that take you to the big hotels. If you go this route, the time it takes might be shorter but it depends on if you catch the buses on time. The best free bus to take is the shuttle that takes you from the border crossing to the Venetian. Once you get to the Venetian, get off and find the line for the bus to the Macau International Airport. That ride will also be free as they do not check if people boarding the bus stayed at the hotel. The Venetian is close to the airport. The free shuttles run every 15-20 minutes at the border crossing and at the Venetian.

If you're pressed for time after getting through customs, then your best bet is to take a taxi from the border crossing to the airport. It's about a 20-25 minute ride. I don't remember how much the ride was but my educated guess is that it's about 60-70 MOP or HKD.

Both Macau and Hong Kong are special economic zones, which have protected and special privileges inside China. Before 1997, Macau belonged to Portugal and Hong Kong was ruled by the British. As part of the turnover back to China in 1997, it was agreed that both territories would retain their special status and immigration borders were set up to stop mainland Chinese from flooding into these areas (a very smart idea). Macau is the only part of China where gambling is legalized while Hong Kong is the financial hub between China and the rest of the world. Hence their special status and while Hong Kong is no longer the financial hub, it's still considered different enough to warrant special considerations.

When will this change? Not for a long time I think. If they removed the borders, I can see hordes of mainland Chinese flooding into Macau and Hong Kong, destroying everything in their path. Much like the hordes of Genghis Khan. :D
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Update:

I'm I'm zhongsan now to visit a friend from online. It's near zhuhai.

Wow I met a tall cute girl at train station today. She seems to like me. She was very warm and engaging and talkative. She asked me if I was single too!

When she told me that she was single, I then said "maybe we can consider each other" and she said "ok sure!" enthusiastically. Wow. She made me feel attractive. Lol.

She said I was handsome too. Wow! I can't believe it. She's taller than me too so I don't know why she would like me. She said I have good brains even if I'm shorter than her. Lol.

She's from Qinghai but lives in zhuhai now.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Winston wrote:Update:

Wow I met a tall cute girl at train station today. She seems to like me. She was very warm and engaging and talkative. She asked me if I was single too!

When she told me that she was single, I then said "maybe we can consider each other" and she said "ok sure!" enthusiastically. Wow. She made me feel attractive. Lol.

She said I was handsome too. Wow! I can't believe it. She's taller than me too so I don't know why she would like me. She said I have good brains even if I'm shorter than her. Lol.

Qinghai eh? Is she Han or an ethnic minority?
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

Excellent man, like i keep repeating, you can't go wrong with the sheer number of girls there. Could you give more details on how you approached her, was there eye contact or did you spot her form afar and then closed in?

I don't know why some guys say you wouldn't find a match over there for long term stuff. They seemed authentic enough IMO.
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

droid wrote:

Excellent man, like i keep repeating, you can't go wrong with the sheer number of girls there. Could you give more details on how you approached her, was there eye contact or did you spot her form afar and then closed in?

I don't know why some guys say you wouldn't find a match over there for long term stuff. They seemed authentic enough IMO.
I just sat down next to her and asked her where I go to catch my train and showed her my ticket. When she asked me to read the billboard, I told her I didn't read Chinese because I'm a foreigner. When she asked where I was from, and I said America, she was in disbelief, so I showed her my passport. And that's how our conversation started. There was a half hour before our train left, so we had time to sit and talk. S

The thing is, I seem to meet such girls when I am NOT EXPECTING to. If I go out and try to cold approach with intention, then I don't usually get anywhere. It's kind of a Murphy's Law. I only meet such girls when I'm not expecting to or trying to.

Same with that girl I scored with from Dongguan. When I met her, I was with Zboy at McDonald's having a conversation, since we were tired of walking around and wanted to get a snack at McDonald's before we went home. I deliberately sat at the table next to her, thinking maybe we could talk to her. But for a while, I didn't try to talk to her. After ignoring her and talking to Zboy, she heard us talking in English and started talking to us. She appeared very friendly, down-to-earth and engaging, so I was glad she did.

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

droid wrote:
This is Winston (Note: the ones in white are not actual British guys but demons)
Indeed. White Demons. (Gwei Lo)
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Winston wrote:
The thing is, I seem to meet such girls when I am NOT EXPECTING to. If I go out and try to cold approach with intention, then I don't usually get anywhere. It's kind of a Murphy's Law. I only meet such girls when I'm not expecting to or trying to.
Probably it fools the demons, and so that way you catch them off guard.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
celery2010
Freshman Poster

Post by celery2010 »

Winston wrote:
droid wrote:

I just sat down next to her and asked her where I go to catch my train and showed her my ticket. When she asked me to read the billboard, I told her I didn't read Chinese because I'm a foreigner. When she asked where I was from, and I said America, she was in disbelief, so I showed her my passport. And that's how our conversation started. There was a half hour before our train left, so we had time to sit and talk. S

Same with that girl I scored with from Dongguan. When I met her, I was with Zboy at McDonald's having a conversation, since we were tired of walking around and wanted to get a snack at McDonald's before we went home. I deliberately sat at the table next to her, thinking maybe we could talk to her. But for a while, I didn't try to talk to her. After ignoring her and talking to Zboy, she heard us talking in English and started talking to us. She appeared very friendly, down-to-earth and engaging, so I was glad she did.

Ha! What did i tell ya?

Was i right or what?

Man, I've been telling you to go to China since 2012.

And what did i say about leaving Shenzhen?

And what did i say that you would meet people just by traveling? And that everything would happen by chance?

But now you've just gotten a taste and you're leaving again?

Right in the middle of the best weather of the year?

One day you'll realize what we said about getting in shape, growing your hair a bit/dressing better, and understanding girls.

Like i said, the opportunity in China is there.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

celery2010 wrote: Ha! What did i tell ya?

Was i right or what?

Man, I've been telling you to go to China since 2012.

And what did i say about leaving Shenzhen?

And what did i say that you would meet people just by traveling? And that everything would happen by chance?

But now you've just gotten a taste and you're leaving again?

Right in the middle of the best weather of the year?

One day you'll realize what we said about getting in shape, growing your hair a bit/dressing better, and understanding girls.

Like i said, the opportunity in China is there.
Are you deaf? I've explained it to you.

1. I wanna go back to Taiwan to change my clothes and luggage. I cannot buy new and better clothes here in the clothing stores because my luggage has no space. So I'm going to put my less attractive clothes back in Taiwan and try to bring less so I can travel easier with lighter luggage and reorganize everything so I don't have to drag heavy luggage around.

2. I gotta get some medicine from my doctor in Taiwan, like for my high blood pressure and other stuff. A lot of what he gave me can't be bought in pharmacies in China.

3. I wanna visit my parents too. Taiwanese families are not like American families where we only see our parents during the Christmas season. Come on man. Get real. Taiwan is very close to here anyway, only an hour flight away. So it's easy to go back and forth.

4. I need to rest and stay put somewhere for a while. Moving from city to city, dragging luggage and trying to find hotel addresses and using taxis and figuring out train stations, is stressful and tiring after a while. I do not have the kind of energy to traveling around like that anymore. Sometimes I like to stay put and be comfortable.

Does that make sense? Sheesh. Why is that over your head?

chanta76
Experienced Poster

Post by chanta76 »

Winston,

Not sure if you answer this in other threads but how does you parents feel about your life style? I mean unless your parents are very open minded about what your doing . Typical most Asian parents are old fashion and traditional.

If I did what you did my parents would just disown me and stop speaking to me. And ...not sure if you answer this sorry if you did. Why not have you son live in Taiwan wouldn't there be better opportunity for him there than in the Philippines?
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

chanta76 wrote:Winston,

Not sure if you answer this in other threads but how does you parents feel about your life style? I mean unless your parents are very open minded about what your doing . Typical most Asian parents are old fashion and traditional.

If I did what you did my parents would just disown me and stop speaking to me. And ...not sure if you answer this sorry if you did. Why not have you son live in Taiwan wouldn't there be better opportunity for him there than in the Philippines?
Can you stop asking the same question 10,000 times? Geez. I answered those questions years ago. My parents are open minded. I posted the feedback from my dad in this thread. Didn't you see them? My mom ignores all my trip reports and doesn't like to think about it because it's all too weird and unusual for her.

I didn't bring my son to live in Taiwan because:

1) I cannot bring him there without bringing Dianne too. But I can't bring Dianne without marrying her. He will not go there without his mother. Marrying Dianne would mean marrying a prudish girl whom I have a sexless relationship with. No one here recommends that.
2) I have no fun or dating or social life in Taiwan, so I would not want to live there and would not be happy there long term. So I would have to leave him with my parents and give them the trouble and stress of taking care of him. Would you want to do that to your retired parents who are trying to live a peaceful life? Think about it.
3) The Taiwanese school system is strict and cold and conditions students to study crazily long hours under lots of stress. Filipino schools are more laid back. Taiwanese schools make you memorize tons of useless data, which is an unevolved system. Would you want to put your kids through that? Duh.
4) Trying to learn Chinese is too difficult. Would you want to make your kids do that?

So you see how dumb your question is? When are you gonna stop asking stupid annoying questions like this?

Are you sure you're not a shill? I can't imagine someone like you in real life with no common sense and always asking stupid questions over and over again and repeating them. Yet I mention Dianne working in a bar one time many years ago, and you memorize it for all eternity. I've never seen such a selective memory as yours. You seem more likely to be a shill working in a government center to influence opinion online.

MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MarcosZeitola »

So how are things going between you and your free-thinking artist girlfriend, Winston? Is this the official end of your Chinese lovequest?
On "Faux-Tradionalists" and why they're heading nowhere: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=37&t=29144
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I just booked my ticket from Macau to Taipei for about 50 dollars. Wow what a deal. If any of you want to fly between Taiwan and Macau for around 50 dollars, you can get your tickets at this site:

http://www.tigerair.com