It was barely 3 years ago when I posted this..

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on February 23rd, 2020, 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Re: It was barely 3 years ago when I posted this..

Post by S_Parc »

Ghost wrote:I still don't understand what the benefit to you is? There won't be any children, so you won't leave a legacy. The prenup will protect her assets from you, so you don't get a financial benefit. You'll be going into what is legally marriage 2.0 that leaves you susceptible to the family courts.

She understands red pill truths about women.

I wouldn't be so callous as to say you should end your relationship with her. You've gotten this far as friends and lovers. BUT...

The marriage part is no benefit to you, and it leaves you wide open to the legal system. Why get the government involved?

Here's the thing: if there will be no children, why does she need marriage? Why does she want the government as the third party in your relationship? There's absolutely no good purpose that can serve.

There's something there...for your own sake, please don't ignore it.
On a more cynical note, if my portfolio does better than hers, then I'm also protected ... in the end.

The point has more to do with our respective families. Right now, Mel's dad is really happy that his daughter has found me. He and I are becoming more and more friends, in fact, I'd say that I'm slowly becoming his "son", over time.

Thus, I get myself a family, something I'd never had, growing up. Is this something so hard to comprehend?
Many years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

Beware of long term engagements with AWs, you may find yourself in a coffin.

AB discussion thread

BTW, despite settling down with an AW, myself, the warning is still in effect.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on February 23rd, 2020, 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

Ghost wrote:
S_Parc wrote:On a more cynical note, if my portfolio does better than hers, then I'm also protected ... in the end.

The point has more to do with our respective families. Right now, Mel's dad is really happy that his daughter has found me. He and I are becoming more and more friends, in fact, I'd say that I'm slowly becoming his "son", over time.

Thus, I get myself a family, something I'd never had, growing up. Is this something so hard to comprehend?
But couldn't you all be a de-facto family without getting the state involved? That's all I'm saying. The government does not give you some magic power to become a family, and by introducing the state into your relationship you will introduce a huge risk that was not there before.

I am really trying not to be cynical about this.
Here's the thing, I'm Anglican (or was, until my dad had left it because they'd allowed in an openly gay vicar) and Mel's Catholic. And thus, the govt allows us to be together, w/o it having to do with our ancestor's respective denominations.

In reality, many ppl, with more old-fashion thinking, don't accept their descendent's thinking, if they don't accept traditional institutions like marriage. Believe me, no one here is arguing about whose denomination is better than the other. In New England, everyone knows this, thus, we don't have fights about Catholicism vs Anglicanism/Episcopalism vs Unitarianism.

On the other foot, if two ppl are serious, but never decide to marry, it really makes everyone wonder why the two don't want to be a family.
Many years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

AB discussion thread

droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

S_Parc wrote:Mel's dad is really happy that his daughter has found me.
No offense S_Parc but: You don't say!
S_Parc wrote:Thus, I get myself a family, something I'd never had, growing up. Is this something so hard to comprehend?
Totally understandable, what you never answered before though (on another thread) was why you abandoned the whole Brazil thing, you could've had a
choice of gems (white if necessary) since you were there long term. Unless I'm missing something.

I don't want to further gang up on you here because this is truly personal, but it also seems throughout that you have some pride for having "cracked" an AW. I'm deviating, but I've posted before that there is a danger of getting 'hooked' to a place, trying to crack it, just for its own sake. Kind of like a Stockholm syndrome, of sorts.
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

droid wrote:Totally understandable, what you never answered before though (on another thread) was why you abandoned the whole Brazil thing, you could've had a choice of gems (white if necessary) since you were there long term. Unless I'm missing something.
My Brazilian GF and I had broken up, because I was born into a dysfunctional Yankee family. In other words, she'd left me for something which I had no control over.

In contrast, Mel had actively put up barriers between her family, and my father and sister. She knows exactly what crazy ppl are about and did everything in her power, to shield her own immediate family, as well as us, as a couple, from psychos in my household.

And thus, there's no comparison. The Brazilian was under this expectation that families in America were fully functional and that everyone could contact one another, without strife. Well, when her relatives had contacted my family w/o proper introductions, things went south very quickly. This is what had ruined that relationship. In the end, I was livid that I was judged because of the antics of my father and my sister.

So I believe that you're somewhat wrong. I'm not proud of *cracking* some puzzle, I'm simply happy that someone in my neighborhood actually sees me for the person that I am, and the fact that she's actually willing to fight for me.

AB discussion thread

droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

S_Parc wrote:Well, when her relatives had contacted my family w/o proper introductions, things went south very quickly
Jesus man, I can picture exactly what you're saying. Like throwing potassium in water.
S_Parc wrote:So I believe that you're somewhat wrong. I'm not proud of *cracking* some puzzle, I'm simply happy that someone in my neighborhood actually sees me for the person that I am, and the fact that she's actually willing to fight for me.
Point taken S_Parc.
Actually, maybe the two of you should go to Brazil for a period alone :idea:
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Lots of ministers will conduct a wedding without state sanction or notification.

Threesomes are cool but not with The Man.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

S_Parc wrote:Here's the thing, I'm Anglican (or was, until my dad had left it because they'd allowed in an openly gay vicar) and Mel's Catholic.
If she is Irish Catholic and you are Anglican, this is another huge red flag.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

She's German-Italian, your so-called red flags are looking more and more insipid over time.

AB discussion thread

The
Junior Poster

Post by The »

Awesome... :D
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

And while we don't look like John Mellencamp and his GF is this old video, one thing does stick out ...
John Mellencamp wrote:Two American kids done, the best they can

AB discussion thread