Were people/women friendlier in the 80's?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Maverick
Junior Poster

Post by Maverick »

It varies in my experience. It really depends on where you meet them.

I've met some very friendly women and some not so friendly women. I also don't think that it's particularly hard to get laid in the US. You just have to be willing to put the work in.

I do agree that women have terrible attitudes, are extremely selfish, and, overall, very difficult to deal with on a romantic/sexual level.

They make decent friends and coworkers though in my experience.
sushiman
Freshman Poster

Post by sushiman »

People were just more normal in general in the 80s and early 90s.

In the late 90s and early 00s there was something I noticed happening right in front of my eyes; I guess the internet. People got isolated and weird.
mand38
Freshman Poster

Post by mand38 »

probably they been friendly in 80's and even more in 70's
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Check out this collection of commercials from the early 80's. Notice how the people look and act in them. They seem cheesy by today's standards. But don't the people's faces look a lot more wholesome, natural and innocent than people do today? Can you see what I mean?

Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
dreamer82
Freshman Poster

Post by dreamer82 »

sushiman wrote:People were just more normal in general in the 80s and early 90s.

In the late 90s and early 00s there was something I noticed happening right in front of my eyes; I guess the internet. People got isolated and weird.
I think the media really changed since the '80s. There were only 3 TV stations and only 3 national news anchors: Rather, Brokaw, and Jennings. Now we get bombarded with 100 different opinions and whiney bitches on CNN and all the other channels. Everything is fast-paced and slick, prepackaged.

There is also paranoia that didn't exist back then. People get fired for voiceing an opinion or saying something non-pc. Also, rents here in California skyrocketed. I was living in San Francisco in a converted studio/1 bdrm a couple blocks away from Golden Gate Park for only $570 per month and that was in the mid-90's.

Also, people now are stressed from debt. It's hard to be relaxed and make friends in these circumstances
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Were people/women friendlier in the 80's?

Post by Winston »

Did anyone see those commercials I posted above from the 80's? Well? Weren't they very revealing of how people have changed in America? You can see how wholesome and simple and natural people were compared to today. The difference is striking, as if they were from a different world.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

Mel and I mainly listen to classic rock from the time when we were toddlers and even before we were born. Think about it, after 2000, even Metallica couldn't write a decent song anymore w/o pilfering their earlier catalog. Seriously, do we really need an 'Unforgiven III', isn't that kinda beating a dead horse of radio past?

We'd stopped double dating couples in our age bracket and mainly do those couple activities with ppl, a decade or more older. If anything, everything culturally and socially is falling apart. In a sense, by being in our mid-to-late 30s, we're witnesses to a type of cultural devolution, as ppl in our age bracket can't cope and ppl younger than us, are completely clueless and lost in the wind.

If you want to have children, you'd better raise 'em elsewhere.
Many years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

Beware of long term engagements with AWs, you may find yourself in a coffin.

AB discussion thread

BTW, despite settling down with an AW, myself, the warning is still in effect.
onethousandknives
Junior Poster

Post by onethousandknives »

S_Parc wrote:Mel and I mainly listen to classic rock from the time when we were toddlers and even before we were born. Think about it, after 2000, even Metallica couldn't write a decent song anymore w/o pilfering their earlier catalog. Seriously, do we really need an 'Unforgiven III', isn't that kinda beating a dead horse of radio past?

We'd stopped double dating couples in our age bracket and mainly do those couple activities with ppl, a decade or more older. If anything, everything culturally and socially is falling apart. In a sense, by being in our mid-to-late 30s, we're witnesses to a type of cultural devolution, as ppl in our age bracket can't cope and ppl younger than us, are completely clueless and lost in the wind.

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=24167

I wrote this awhile back. What do you think? Describe the social dynamics of US pretty well?
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

onethousandknives wrote:
S_Parc wrote:Mel and I mainly listen to classic rock from the time when we were toddlers and even before we were born. Think about it, after 2000, even Metallica couldn't write a decent song anymore w/o pilfering their earlier catalog. Seriously, do we really need an 'Unforgiven III', isn't that kinda beating a dead horse of radio past?

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=24167

I wrote this awhile back. What do you think? Describe the social dynamics of US pretty well?
Sounds about right. Social isolation went into overdrive with the new century. When I was growing up, things weren't quite so bad.
Many years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

Beware of long term engagements with AWs, you may find yourself in a coffin.

AB discussion thread

BTW, despite settling down with an AW, myself, the warning is still in effect.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on February 21st, 2020, 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeterAndrewNolan
Experienced Poster

Post by PeterAndrewNolan »

Winston wrote:Some friends have told me that back in the 80's people and women were friendlier and more open in the US and it was easier to get laid. Even more so back in the 70's.

Is that true? I was a shy nerd back then who was afraid of girls, so I never really tried. But it seems that people were more trusting, relaxed and open from what I could remember. And there were girls at school who chased me around and flirted with me, even if it was just for fun.

Others have told me that it was friendlier back then than it is now, for sure, but still nothing compared to how it is in Europe.

What do you think?
That was certainly true in Australia. Women were more respectful in my mothers era. And my grand mothers were great women.

You can hear on this presentation that even by 1989 it was very noticeable how Australia was changing.

http://www.manbook.biz/2015/05/14/plann ... ed-butler/
Feel free to check out my blog:Click ME!
PeterAndrewNolan
Experienced Poster

Post by PeterAndrewNolan »

Hi Winston,
in the west women are just plain bitches. I mean, really, they are hate filled shrews.

It is like talking to f***ing tape recorders. They throw the same shit at you time after time.

"Not all women are like that"

"You just hate all women"

"You deserved what you got"

"Your wife left you because you were a loser"

I mean...we all know the gamut of lies and crap western women throw around.

Here in Germany...NOT ONE WOMAN has ever used any of those phrases towards me. NOT EVEN ONE.

You would think now that I have been here on and off for 8 years and living here solid for 3 years that I would have run in to at least a FEW man hating shrews here, right? But no. Not even one. I had one woman I was dating go around telling lies about me....so I told her to tell those she lied to that she had lied or I would tell her boss and get her fired.....she backed off and admitted she had been lying to people about me. That is the BIGGEST problem I have had with a woman here....and she grew up in germany.

She was the ONLY woman I dated where I broke my rule about growing up in the former communist countries and she was the ONLY one to go around telling lies about me.

So yeah.....women in the west have been brainwashed in to their idea of superiority and they truly HATE men. They really do.

It is very noticeable when you live among women who quite like men as is the case here.
Feel free to check out my blog:Click ME!
Greetercb
Freshman Poster

Post by Greetercb »

Back In The 1980,s The Women Here at America Were Stuck up Bitches as Today & Were Pro Women,s Lib in The 1980,s as Today.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Ghost wrote:I grew up in the 90s. But TV is a big indicator, and many shows from the 80s often seemed like extensions from the 50s. Kids playing outside. People dressed decently. Families still existed. The iPhone hadn't destroyed the sit-com yet...

But as to whether or not that means people were friendlier, it doesn't necessarily mean anything. After all, people on TV today still act friendly. It gives off a false impression.

People certainly weren't so socially disconnected back then. So they probably were, if not friendly, at least more sociable.
Well the word "friendly" is subjective. Many people mix up politeness with friendliness. I think the key word here is "uninhibited". In the 80's, people were more uninhibited. They said what they felt and thought more. Political correctness wasn't such a dominating force. This is a double edged sword. It means people can be more social and talkative, but at the same time they can be more rude and racist too. A racist could speak his mind in the 80's or make racist jokes. School kids could too, they could call me "chink" or make fun of my slanted eyes. So people were more natural and uninhibited. In fact, everything felt more natural in general.

If you look at the TV shows and movies from the 70's and 80's you notice that although the special effects may be more cheesy and cheap, the EMOTIONS and ACTING was a lot more genuine. You could feel what the characters felt. You could empathize with their thoughts and feelings. They were like real human beings. Any of you notice that? Do any of you still watch stuff from back then? If not, watch some 70's movies on YouTube and you will see what I mean. The authenticity of the emotions of people on TV were way better and more real than today.

Also, back in the 1980's, our Taiwanese relatives would visit us more often and would have longer more extensive conversations with us until late at night. Talking to them felt more natural and close. But nowadays they only pay brief visits or have dinner with us, for only an hour, and then part ways before 8pm so that everyone can return to their "privacy and space". Same as when we visit them.

Nowadays, the need for privacy in Taiwan seems to outweigh the need for social contact. Same as in America. It's as if people in Taiwan are trying to MINIMIZE social contact and keep it to a minimal, becoming more isolated. It's as if a "private wall" has been erected between people in Taiwan now so that people PREFER privacy over social contact. It's very sad. In addition, the contact that we do have with our relatives is very SUPERFICIAL now, like a polite formality with no real connection or closeness.

I brought this up to my relatives, most of whom were around in the 1980's, so they must know what I mean. However, they didn't seem to care. They believe that one should change with the times, even if it means being less social with others. Even though they know I'm right, they don't want to say that something is wrong with current times, or admit that it's a change for the worse. In their minds, one must always adapt to modern trends in order to survive in this world (as in Darwinian Evolution) rather than go against them. In their view, fighting what society has become is futile, so it's better not to condemn it. Current trends must be accepted, in their view. The majority and authority must be conformed to for one's own good. This is the Taiwanese/Chinese view and mentality. (However, history never remembers those who simply conform and accept things the way they are. History only remembers those who changed things and went against the norm. I've explained this to them. But the average Taiwanese or Chinese isn't interested in being remembered by history.)

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Here's an example of what I mean. Do any of you remember the movie "The Karate Kid" from 1984? It was one of the best movies of the 80's. The emotions in it, especially of the main character, were very genuine and heartfelt, to the point that you had an emotional investment in him winning at the end. And the characters in it, both the good and bad guys, seemed much more natural too, much more human. Here are clips from the movie so you can see what I mean. You won't see any genuine emotions like this in the movies of today.

Trailer for The Karate Kid (1984)

Clips

Also if you watch the Rocky movies and Rambo movies, you will see that the emotions in them of Sylvester Stallone are so genuine and leave a lasting impression on you. You won't get anything like that today.