Is China a lost cause?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Re: Is China a lost cause?

Post by chanta76 »

Banano ,

You black? n Jamaica there is CHinese community there and from what I hear it's quite common for the CHinese guys to marry the local Jamaican women. I knew a Korean guy who dated a black girl and they were happy . I also knew one CHinese guy who married a black girl and there been married for over 20 years. It's usually in the Anglo speaking countries where you have this stereotype that Asian men are under sex and black men are over sex.

Rock,

It's sad that Chinese guys don't go for black girls. I'm talking about black women from Africa not American blacks.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

chanta76 wrote:Banano ,

You black? n Jamaica there is CHinese community there and from what I hear it's quite common for the CHinese guys to marry the local Jamaican women. I knew a Korean guy who dated a black girl and they were happy . I also knew one CHinese guy who married a black girl and there been married for over 20 years. It's usually in the Anglo speaking countries where you have this stereotype that Asian men are under sex and black men are over sex.

Rock,

It's sad that Chinese guys don't go for black girls. I'm talking about black women from Africa not American blacks.
Hey I was in Jamaica too last year. Toured most of the key cities in country. The Chinese I saw ran shops in downtown areas or grocery stores. Some had been in country longer term and even understood Patois. But a lot of others were relative newcomers from mainland China.

Guess what? Didn't ever see Chinese black couples, even in Kingston, the capital and largest city. More generally in the Caribbean countries I've toured and all indications I got - Haiti (where I really didn't see any Chinese), DR (which even has a Chinatown in Santo Domingo) and Jamaica, Chinese really don't mix with locals except sometimes hiring them as employees for their shops. Locals in DR told me that Chinese keep to themselves as much as possible and even have their own special schools in many cases.

The only mixing I've seen between black Africans and mainland Chinese were a few couples I saw here and there in China where the girl was Chinese and the dude was some kinda W. African or else black from a western country.

Consider, Chinese guys don't even much go for darker SE Asian women such as Filipinas or Cambodians. So how can they be attracted to typical or even not so typical sub saharan black African girls. It might be like 1 in 10,000 or some tiny number like that lol.

And African girls have their taste too. Again, my impression is that a large percentage actually very appreciate their own African men for their masculinity, rhythm, deep voices, courting and seduction skills, and large schlongs lol. Yes those stereotypes are very much perpetuated and embraced by many of the more interesting black girls in Africa, the ones who have choices. A white dude is already a step away from that perception wise though some with the right features can still be appreciated. Otherwise, it's just the standard white guy = rich guy formula :(

Perhaps some of the exceptionally intellectual and/or educated types of black girls can appreciate a white guy more and of course the dynamic and perception in countries with lots of whites such as S. Africa or perhaps even Zimbabwe is probably quite a bit different.

Now Chinese guys are probably still perceived overall as totally lacking any sex appeal by bulk of more attractive African girls. The creature from another planet stereotype is probably still going strong. They are much more used to Indian and Lebanese guys.

Yes in last decade Chinese have been flocking to Africa for business reasons. And next time I go, perhaps I will see some Chinese male black female couples. But so far in my experience, that type of sighting has been about as common as a unicorn.
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Post by chanta76 »

Rock,

So in your opinion because most African girls in Africa prefer African men..does that contribute to why western white men don't go to Africa like they do to Asia or South America looking for a partner?
So in other words Asian/CHinese men are screwed again because supposedly Chinese men are less masculine than other race? Is that your assessment?
Bane
Freshman Poster

Post by Bane »

I am with Winston, Ghost and the others who have said this is not as big a problem as the ( typically American) media makes it out to be.

Having spent 4 years in China and having gone to most of the major cities, I did not notice any major gender imbalances. I'm not sure about the countryside (this is probably where the imbalance mostly exists) but in the major cities things seemed to be normal. I'd personally be more worried about the effects of the low fertility rate in China, coupled with the increased Westernization and materialism among its women, rather than the gender imbalance.
"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world." -Oscar Wilde

"Invincibility is in oneself, vulnerability is in the opponent" -Sun Tzu
Seeker
Freshman Poster

Post by Seeker »

Winston wrote:This article is baloney. In China, in both big cities and small cities, I saw a hot girl walk by every few seconds! On most streets, including the most mundane. How can that be? You can't avoid seeing hot girls everywhere! How do stupid articles like that? Anyone can go to China and take photos of the streets and prove this. Even in small cities like zhuhai and dongguan.
Rather a bizarre comment Winston? The number of women means nothing if there are more men than women. Though I saw some statistics somewhere showing that for women over 30 there is no difference in the sex ratio and there are more single women than men. It's for younger men that the problem really lies, especially those growing up in China now. China, South Korea and Japan (and I suspect North Korea) are some of worst countries for incel, much worse than any Western country is for white guys.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

chanta76 wrote:Rock,

So in your opinion because most African girls in Africa prefer African men..does that contribute to why western white men don't go to Africa like they do to Asia or South America looking for a partner?
So in other words Asian/CHinese men are screwed again because supposedly Chinese men are less masculine than other race? Is that your assessment?
I would say the key reasons why western white men tend not to go to Africa (the subset who are willing to travel overseas to places like Asia or S. America/Caribbean) for dating is because of the high AIDS rates in many of those countries, the perception that women are not as hot (more pure black as opposed to mixed or light), the higher total costs, the serious disease risk, etc. If NE Asia is the first world, Latam/Carribean/SE Asia the second to third world depending on which country and region, than most of sub-saharan Africa is the fourth world.

Consider the average Joe in America may already be nervous and apprehensive about going for an extended stay to more developed areas of Latam or even Asia. But Africa is in a whole new league in terms of perception and on-the-ground reality.
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Post by chanta76 »

rock ,

you traveled around africa?
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Chinese farmers have been importing illegal Vietnamese brides for decades before mail order bride agencies were set up. Expect increased competition from Chinese men shooping for brides to the South. However these are men who spent their family savings to import a bride so they can stay home. Considering the cost involved many could have used the money to seek greener pastures abroad. In that sense I think China is both a good place to find local girls (if you are from abroad) and to advocate happier abroad to local men with some financial means.

http://nextshark.com/struggling-chinese ... -soulmate/
http://www.lollipop.sg/content/shocking ... s-online-0
http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2 ... in-ukraine

Oh and, in some places in China they are now paying couples to have more kids:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/worl ... /24069319/
Last edited by momopi on June 8th, 2015, 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

momopi wrote:.....Expect increased competition from Chinese men shooping for brides to the South. .....
http://www.lollipop.sg/content/shocking ... s-online-0
Wow, White fever:

"One way to judge whether a man’s ability [worth] is to see whether or not you can marry a foreign woman (European or American). Middle Eastern, African, Southeast Asian don’t count."
Interesting to see it stated so baldly.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

An excerpt:

Complex paperwork is another turn-off. Zhang and her husband, Shi Huili, both 31, made multiple trips from Beijing to their northeast hometown of Fushun to seek official approval to have a sibling for their daughter.
What an incredibly dismal society.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Jester wrote:What an incredibly dismal society.
Why? Because UStoday is showing up with a biased report?

The point is that China is really doing something against overpopulation, otherwise they would be many more, not 'only' 1360 million people.

It is said, that the gender imbalance is about 40 million men - China has other, much more urgent problems than its gender imbalance.

A serious problem is pollution, another one shortage of energy despite operating nuclear power plants. There are clearly quality problems of many Chinese products, corruption, housing problems... still a developing country with many citizens living in poverty.

Many Asian countries are overcrowded, and if you are living there and have no money you are a 'nothing'.

Chinese policy in this sense is not even so bad. If you have money and are willing to pay for more children, you can have more children.

I am unsure if this is not even better than Western policy, where every immigrant has 10 children and is expecting to receive child support and free housing by the welfare state.
ethan_sg
Freshman Poster

Post by ethan_sg »

I'm really tired of negative articles like this that seem bent on proliferating the idea that China is a shit-hole and that by implication, life in America and other countries in the anglosphere is so much better. Typically what happens is that they search for extreme examples that fit in with their theory, then go write a whole article to project the idea that the attitudes of these outliers are representative of Chinese society as a whole.

Being Singaporean Chinese and able to speak Mandarin I am able to communicate in depth with many of the locals about sociological issues. You see in big cities in China, the majority of the people in it are not originally from these big cities, they tend to be from all over China, many originally from much smaller cities and towns. Keep in mind that there are more than 160 cities in China with more than 1 million people. 1st tier cities like Shanghai, Beijing, Shenzhen and Guangzhou represent only 1% of the total cities in China.

Even in these top cities, average incomes are under a 1000 USD a month. Yet the average apartment in these tier 1 cities cost 500 thousand USD or more. Given the average incomes, it follows that most average Chinese people cannot afford to buy an apartment in a tier 1 city. Yet marriage and birth rates are higher than in more developed Asian cities like Tokyo, Seoul, Hong Kong, Singapore and Taipei. How can this be so? It can only mean that most people are getting married without actually buying apartments in tier 1 cities.

In-depth conversations I've had with many locals have confirmed this. What typically happens is the male buys an apartment in his home city or home town, rents it out, and continues to rent, live and work in the big tier 1 city he has been working in all these years. As mentioned earlier, tier 1 cities represent the top 1% of cities in China, housing prices there aren't representative of the whole of China. For the average male, buying apartments in their home cities or towns would often cost even considerably less than the average house in America - and this makes sense, given that their incomes are considerably less than the average American.

The media likes to paint this picture of every male in China having to climb this humungous mountain of buying a multi-million rmb apartment in a tier 1 city in order to get married - if things were really this extreme, marriage and birth rates in China would be easily the most abysmal in the world, and literally 95% of Chinese men wouldn't be eligible for marriage. China is a developing country with a GDP per Capita of 6,807.43 USD. This means that the mean average income per individual in China is about 6,807.43 USD per YEAR. The idea that marriage in China only happens when a male is able to buy a multi-million RMB apartment in a tier 1 city, ie. 500,000 USD or more, is frankly illogical.

Now of course there are a small percentage of females in tier 1 cities, maybe about 5-10% or so, particularly females who are native and born in those cities, who would have such sky-high (and arguably unrealistic) expectations of males when considering marriage, which results in a higher percentage of them becoming 'leftover females'. Why would the local males choose these spoiled types when big cities are filled with so many more down-to-earth but still beautiful women originally from non-tier 1 cities? Most men don't care much about a girl's socioeconomic status when choosing a life partner. Other factors like beauty, and having a feminine pleasant personality, or the ability to be a good wife and mother matter much more.
Chinaebuys - http://www.chinaebuys.com
Buy and Ship any Product Internationally from China
Shipping to more than 200 countries worldwide
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Yohan wrote:
Jester wrote:What an incredibly dismal society.
Why? Because UStoday is showing up with a biased report?

The point is that China is really doing something against overpopulation, otherwise they would be many more, not 'only' 1360 million people.
There is no "overpopulation" anywhere, not even Hong Kong. "Too many people" is simply the pat excuse tendered by incompetent rulers. If they cannot provide for the people, they should resign.

We do cull animal herds, when the animals are wild and useless. But when it comes to humans, culling the herd is an act of war, if it is you who are considered "the herd".

Anyone who purports to be in authority over me, who asks me to file paperwork and get permission before making love to my woman, will be dealt with brutally.

The Chinese people are very patient.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Hong Kong's Kowloon Walled City was infamous for being very overpopulated. It was eventually "culled" by force.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

momopi wrote:Hong Kong's Kowloon Walled City was infamous for being very overpopulated. It was eventually "culled" by force.
The desire of poor people with ambition or at least a basic life-wish to crowd into tight spaces near money, does not mean a country is "overpopulated",

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ur ... _Hong_Kong
https://www.google.com.mx/search?q=park ... 20&bih=333

If "elites" stopped favoring the bankers and traders and bureaucrats, and instead supported national industry and agriculture with high tariff walls, reasonable credit, (and in China's case land ownership, inheritance, freedom to have children) etc, prosperity would spread out more evenly. Large parts of some Asian and latin American cities are crowded, yes. But even Hong Kong, taken as a whole, is not.

"Urban crowding" does not equal "overpopulation".