I need advice

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
GoingAwol
Junior Poster

I need advice

Post by GoingAwol »

So I'm 24.... And I'm starting college in August. What's my problem? I don't know what to study.... I want to study something that will give me the best opportunity to get a good paying job and allow me to make enough to travel outside the country as soon as possible. The fact that I'm 24 years old and just starting college means I'm 6 years behind and realistically I'm at least a few years out from going overseas unless a miracle happens. This is problematic because American culture has almost destroyed me already. Being a life long incel has taken it's tole on me and it's a daily struggle to have faith that there could be a better future for me. Just yesterday I was in the pool and all I could think about was drowning myself because I hate my life and I'm tired of being lonely and feeling like my life is devoid of meaning and purpose. So as you can probably imagine I'm having trouble thinking of ways to get shit going because I'm just hanging by a thread emotionally. Hopefully I can keep on keeping on until I can get out of my situation.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on February 19th, 2020, 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: I need advice

Post by Jester »

(1) Do NOT matriculate or pay or show up in the US. Forfeit your deposit and buy a plane ticket right now. Pack up and leave. Show up at a foreign college and talk your way in. Some charge very little money. (There has been a mention here on HA of where that might be -do an internal google - but in general - Europe and FSU.)

(2) In general, any STEM major (google it) will be valued somewhere by someone.

(3) If you CANNOT follow this advice, then during freshman week at your US uni, visit the Stufy Abroad office and sign up for a Year Abroad or whatever they call it. Get out now.

(4) AVOID all general electives and general education crap, world culture, blah blah even though it is required (f**k your counselor in the face, tell him I said that) and use ALL your choices and electives to take STEM courses. Schmooze your way into the engineering department etc.

(5) Under NO circumstances EVER matriculate in a "College of Arts and Sciences". ONLY matriculate at a "College of Engineering".

This is YOUR money YOUR time YOUR life we are talking about here - remember that.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Maverick
Junior Poster

Post by Maverick »

GoingAwol wrote:So I'm 24.... And I'm starting college in August. What's my problem? I don't know what to study.... I want to study something that will give me the best opportunity to get a good paying job and allow me to make enough to travel outside the country as soon as possible. The fact that I'm 24 years old and just starting college means I'm 6 years behind and realistically I'm at least a few years out from going overseas unless a miracle happens. This is problematic because American culture has almost destroyed me already. Being a life long incel has taken it's tole on me and it's a daily struggle to have faith that there could be a better future for me. Just yesterday I was in the pool and all I could think about was drowning myself because I hate my life and I'm tired of being lonely and feeling like my life is devoid of meaning and purpose. So as you can probably imagine I'm having trouble thinking of ways to get shit going because I'm just hanging by a thread emotionally. Hopefully I can keep on keeping on until I can get out of my situation.
Healthcare is the way to go. Look into LVN programs. You can get that pretty quick and, if you're willing to work in an undesirable location for a year or 2, you can easily get your foot in the door.

I notice your username is "GoingAwol". Does that mean you were in the military (and, therefore, have GI Bill eligibility)?
starchild5
Veteran Poster

Post by starchild5 »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.......Why are you even planning to go to college which is useless in today's world and it does not count for anything in real work world.

You are 24 and in America....Just do the IT course...go to Lynda.com pick up Google adwords tutorial, get certified in 3 weeks and you are on your way to 70K job in America easily...

This is a million dollar tip for an American, nobody will tell you about this sort of easiest opportunity

I have given this advice to countless Americans and not sure how many even listen anymore and continue to complain their life.....You will only get a job in America that you do not know anything about...all old knowledge is useless...

This is for anyone...This is much easier even than TEFL course...and you even have the option to work from home. good luck
Maverick
Junior Poster

Post by Maverick »

starchild5 wrote:Just do the IT course...go to Lynda.com pick up Google adwords tutorial, get certified in 3 weeks and you are on your way to 70K job in America easily...
This doesn't sound legitimate. If it were, many more people would be doing it.

Where is this 70k job after taking a 3 week course? How would one apply to this job?
romparoo
Freshman Poster

Post by romparoo »

You already made a mistake for starting late. Don't make any more mistakes, because time is very unforgiving. Get a STEM degree. Do it with as little student debt as possbile. Don't listen to the nay sayers, you will still need that piece of paper to have a reasonable chance of getting well paid jobs. Choose a program that allows one or two year study abroad in a country that you believe has the best social culture. Don't get drunk and waste time, make your time there counts. Make lasting relationships. Be outside the norm, so one day you can bid us here adios, because this forum no longer suits your needs. I wish you the best of luck.