Why all the hype about Filipinas?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
davewe
Experienced Poster

Re: Why all the hype about Filipinas?

Post by davewe »

Jester wrote:
davewe wrote:
MrMan wrote:This is a part of the world where being white and foreign may also give you some status in looking for a wife, and where a 20-something might go for a 40-something white man because status outweighs the age gap.
Only 40-something :)

Other than this I agree with your post!
If we meet, remind me I owe you one.
I hope you mean a beer. Anything else - please keep to yourself :)

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Seeker
Freshman Poster

Post by Seeker »

This is a part of the world where being white and foreign may also give you some status in looking for a wife, and where a 20-something might go for a 40-something white man because status outweighs the age gap. Some women are genuinely attracted to men based partly on status.
In other words Southeast Asia is full of broke ass bitches looking for a money-sucker. That's all you're really saying without all the pretty words hiding it. Let's call a thing what it really is, one side offers resources, the other side takes them. I've seen this arrangement time and time again. Doubtless some of you are stuck in it.
pete98146
Experienced Poster

Post by pete98146 »

Seeker wrote:
This is a part of the world where being white and foreign may also give you some status in looking for a wife, and where a 20-something might go for a 40-something white man because status outweighs the age gap. Some women are genuinely attracted to men based partly on status.
In other words Southeast Asia is full of broke a** bitches looking for a money-sucker. That's all you're really saying without all the pretty words hiding it. Let's call a thing what it really is, one side offers resources, the other side takes them. I've seen this arrangement time and time again. Doubtless some of you are stuck in it.
That post is comically sardonic. Why do you even come to the Happier Abroad forum and post crap like this? Isn't this a place where we can come and encourage each other to date/marry foreign ladies and travel abroad? Perhaps you'd do better posting over at the Spacefem.com? I'm sure with your attitude, you'd fit right in!!!!
Seeker
Freshman Poster

Post by Seeker »

What I posted is nothing more than the reality that most of these old men with Southeast Asian women are stuck with, I'm not stopping them if that's what they want.
pete98146
Experienced Poster

Post by pete98146 »

Seeker wrote:What I posted is nothing more than the reality that most of these old men with Southeast Asian women are stuck with, I'm not stopping them if that's what they want.
It was more the tone in which you said it. Hey we all know the deal and how it works. If both partners are (usually) happy, it's something that should be celebrated and not looked down upon IMHO.
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Post by chanta76 »

pete98146,

For those of you that are married to a filipina is that really the situation? I understand that social economics does motivate some of these women to seek men overseas but what if the western guy loses all his money? Does the woman still stay with him?

At the same time I seen expats that go to Asia and really monger for the most part..but for some of these guys they end up marrying the bar girls and sometimes it does work out but still monger on the side lol...it's like they have they cake and eat too..I guess the wife doesnt mind but not sure how prevalent this behavior is among married expats in Asia.
pete98146
Experienced Poster

Post by pete98146 »

chanta76 wrote:pete98146,

For those of you that are married to a filipina is that really the situation? I understand that social economics does motivate some of these women to seek men overseas but what if the western guy loses all his money? Does the woman still stay with him?

At the same time I seen expats that go to Asia and really monger for the most part..but for some of these guys they end up marrying the bar girls and sometimes it does work out but still monger on the side lol...it's like they have they cake and eat too..I guess the wife doesnt mind but not sure how prevalent this behavior is among married expats in Asia.
I supposed each guy would have a different answer to this question so I can only answer this for myself. My wife may be in the minority but she says she grew up having a desire to marry a white man and this vision for her started early in her teens. So after graduating from university, Cathy's game plan was to meet a nice stable man and move to the States so she could use her talents and get a good job not only for her own personal growth but to help support her family back home.

She did receive quite a bit of mail from guys on Cherry Blossoms.com but I was lucky enough to be one of the first guys that she talked to and we just hit it off immediately. Did it matter to her that I'm 19 years older than she is? Apparently not! Nine years later, it's still not an issue from what I can tell. Now if I lost all my money, would she leave me? I think not. She makes good money as a dental assistant and she isn't solely reliant on my income.

I think the biggest reason for our successful marriage is the amount of attention that I give her. I make it my biggest priority in life. She's still a foreign girl in this weird county we call the USA. But I don't ever let her feel lonely or out of place. But for every second that I spend keeping he happy, I get it back two fold. It just works for us. An comment that OFTEN comes out of her mouth is, "if I left you, you'd just go back to Philippines and find a younger girl with bigger boobs and that would make me jealous."

As far as your second question. Sure guys go over and marry bar girls etc. But for every one of those is a guy that's expated back to Philippines, quietly living a good life with a nice Filipina. Point is that you don't have to get involved with bar girls because there are SOOOO many opportunities to meet great ladies over there.
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

pete98146 wrote:
chanta76 wrote:pete98146,

I supposed each guy would have a different answer to this question so I can only answer this for myself. My wife may be in the minority but she says she grew up having a desire to marry a white man and this vision for her started early in her teens. So after graduating from university, Cathy's game plan was to meet a nice stable man and move to the States so she could use her talents and get a good job not only for her own personal growth but to help support her family back home.

She did receive quite a bit of mail from guys on Cherry Blossoms.com but I was lucky enough to be one of the first guys that she talked to and we just hit it off immediately. Did it matter to her that I'm 19 years older than she is? Apparently not! Nine years later, it's still not an issue from what I can tell. Now if I lost all my money, would she leave me? I think not. She makes good money as a dental assistant and she isn't solely reliant on my income.

I think the biggest reason for our successful marriage is the amount of attention that I give her. I make it my biggest priority in life. She's still a foreign girl in this weird county we call the USA. But I don't ever let her feel lonely or out of place. But for every second that I spend keeping he happy, I get it back two fold. It just works for us. An comment that OFTEN comes out of her mouth is, "if I left you, you'd just go back to Philippines and find a younger girl with bigger breasts and that would make me jealous."

As far as your second question. Sure guys go over and marry bar girls etc. But for every one of those is a guy that's expated back to Philippines, quietly living a good life with a nice Filipina. Point is that you don't have to get involved with bar girls because there are SOOOO many opportunities to meet great ladies over there.
As Pete knows, my situation is very similar. My wife always was interested in Westerners, finding us exotic in the same way that we find them exotic. Unlike many of her siblings, she went to another part of the Philippines to work her ass off to pay for college, and graduated. Her feeling was always about working hard to improve her life. I have no doubt that was part of her reason to find those white guys exotic - because of a dream of a better life. Don't we all have such a dream? But that was never enough for her; she never would have married without love and a day doesn't go by where she does not demonstrate that she is far more loving than any Western woman I ever met.

An interesting story from this week. My company just had a major round of layoffs - they were firings really. Most of the effected employees were older, had been there for many years - in short, guys like me. I survived and on Monday called my wife and told her of what happened. She was scared for a moment but then took to encouraging me. She reminded me that we were saving hard, getting ready for retirement, and if I had been one of the affected workers, we would be fine. Think that's what you'd hear from your Western wife?
WorldTraveler
Experienced Poster

Post by WorldTraveler »

Seeker wrote:What I posted is nothing more than the reality that most of these old men with Southeast Asian women are stuck with, I'm not stopping them if that's what they want.
Seeker, have you ever been to Southeast Asia? Ever had a SEA girlfriend?
mahadeveshwara
Freshman Poster

Post by mahadeveshwara »

Seeker wrote:
In other words Southeast Asia is full of broke a** bitches looking for a money-sucker. That's all you're really saying without all the pretty words hiding it. Let's call a thing what it really is, one side offers resources, the other side takes them. I've seen this arrangement time and time again. Doubtless some of you are stuck in it.
Status and money are not the same thing but they often occur together. As a concrete example, a plumber could make 100K a year and a university professor could make 50K a year, but the professor would be much higher in status.

Status and money do often occur together so they are easily confused. A white American is generally high status in Philippines or LatAm if they have class (hell even if they don't), even if they live at a local middle class standard of living. (And a black person can be higher status in LatAm if they play it off like they are American and not like local Caribbean blacks). Because higher class people usually have better education and skills, they can usually earn better than the local population. So it's unusual, but not unheard of, for a higher status/class person to not be able to make decent money.

A lot of middle class people are not too interested in making money because they grew up having money and all material things. Hence the whole bohemian subculture. If the average income in Colombia is $700 per month, and an English teacher makes $800 a month, then a bohemian American slacker English teacher is at least middle class in Colombia. In the Philippines, average income would be like 300-400 per month, although teaching English is not an option there. But an American would have higher status than just your average "middle class" person in LatAm or Philippines, due to being American. I guess there are degenerates who come from higher status countries and end up in the gutter, but isn't that low class behavior to not even try to elevate yourself and your family, or to never have a family or a job but just bum around and do god knows what? Sure there are unfortunate cases, but I suspect most of them are just degenerates.

So it depends on the girl and what she values, but money and status are not the same thing, although they tend to occur together.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

mahadeveshwara wrote:
Status and money are not the same thing but they often occur together. As a concrete example, a plumber could make 100K a year and a university professor could make 50K a year, but the professor would be much higher in status.

Status and money do often occur together so they are easily confused. A white American is generally high status in Philippines or LatAm if they have class (hell even if they don't), even if they live at a local middle class standard of living. (And a black person can be higher status in LatAm if they play it off like they are American and not like local Caribbean blacks). Because higher class people usually have better education and skills, they can usually earn better than the local population. So it's unusual, but not unheard of, for a higher status/class person to not be able to make decent money.
So it depends on the girl and what she values, but money and status are not the same thing, although they tend to occur together.
+1
Good observations, not often stated.

BTW what does your handle mean... could you break down the words/syllables? (I want to be able to call you by a shorter nickname)
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
mahadeveshwara
Freshman Poster

Post by mahadeveshwara »

It's actually of Sanskrit derivation. It means Lord Shiva.

I understand that Central Europe and various other Slavic/Eastern languages have a fair amount of Sanskrit in them (from the supposed Aryo-Indian anthropological era/Proto Sanskrit language)? The same could be said of Latin, although a bit farther removed.
The Un-American
Freshman Poster

Post by The Un-American »

I think looks-wise they are a bit overrated, but they definitely do on average appreciate men a lot more than American women. My dad's wife is from the Philippines and she's way warmer than my mom or his ex-wife was, and one of her distant relatives even planted a kiss on me at their wedding! A white American woman would NEVER do that to a man they just met.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

mahadeveshwara wrote:It's actually of Sanskrit derivation. It means Lord Shiva.

I understand that Central Europe and various other Slavic/Eastern languages have a fair amount of Sanskrit in them (from the supposed Aryo-Indian anthropological era/Proto Sanskrit language)? The same could be said of Latin, although a bit farther removed.
Well, um, thanks... but that doesnt quite work for me.

Maha Dev esh Wara
Maha sounds like "blessed" as in Mahatma
Dev sounds like "jinn" or spirit

I dont see where the "Lord Shiva" is

Dont know any sanskrit, just read a bit, so if you have researched this, feel free to "enlighten me"
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Filipinas are arguably the easiest women for Americans to meet all things considered. They speak English, are more beautiful on average than American women and it's the most America-loving nation on Earth, too.
It does not mean that they are 1-2-3 and you met them. You also need to put some work into it.
Also, given the fact that the PH has been developing rapidly and that local guys now have more money and can give good life to the girls, they are now swimming in the local market first. There are also many Koreans competing with Americans.
This led to the fall in the quality of online girls. There are now fewer pretty ones and the attitude is getting worse and worse. But I still think that it's worthwhile - you just need to cast your net wider.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!