Ladislav in Kyiv Ukraine Now

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Ladislav in Kyiv Ukraine Now

Post by ladislav »

PS. The girl who I am with now is a daughter of a priest, and I met her on an online language site. We're not dating- she was giving me language classes.

Generally, I feel the same way- you need to have language skills and time on the ground and also watch how local guys treat girls. Most look very humble in female presence. Girls here are used to being treated with respect. Foreigners do well if they stay and integrate. Without language skills and time on the ground, it's gonna be harder.

You can still date on legit online sites, but a lot of those girls want to emigrate. There are many tours and they seem legit, but those girls have really set their eyes on living in the US. If that's your cup of tea, then why not?

Imho, the cultural gap between Anglos and these Slavs is still very big. The latter may " look" like Americans or Brits, but that's where the similarity ends. An average monolingual and mono-cultural Anglo guy will have easier time dating Japanese girls than these ones.

It really depends on what you want to do and how much you can afford in terms of time and money.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

ladislav wrote:
PS. The girl who I am with now is a daughter of a priest, and I met her on an online language site. We're not dating- she was giving me language classes.

Generally, I feel the same way- you need to have language skills and time on the ground and also watch how local guys treat girls. Most look very humble in female presence. Girls here are used to being treated with respect. Foreigners do well if they stay and integrate. Without language skills and time on the ground, it's gonna be harder.

You can still date on legit online sites, but a lot of those girls want to emigrate. There are many tours and they seem legit, but those girls have really set their eyes on living in the US. If that's your cup of tea, then why not?

Imho, the cultural gap between Anglos and these Slavs is still very big. The latter may " look" like Americans or Brits, but that's where the similarity ends. An average monolingual and mono-cultural Anglo guy will have easier time dating Japanese girls than these ones.

It really depends on what you want to do and how much you can afford in terms of time and money.
Ladislav thank you for a great thread and for this particularly useful post.

God bless you and may you find a quality girlfriend... sooner than you think.
Amen.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
romparoo
Freshman Poster

Post by romparoo »

chanta76 wrote:romparoo,

I'm the belief that white people compared to any other groups have a higher rate of racism in the line of white nationalism. Not saying that Asian don't do it but they do it at a lesser degree because in the past there was western countries that colonize parts of Asia so you have some Asians that understand why white guys and Asian girls happen. For white people they like to think they are the best.

Turkish men and Italian men are just dark skinned white people but I'm not in the Ukraine so I don't know how prevalent the sex tourist mongers are. But I do agree mongers f***ed it up for everyone and spoil the place and make it hard for everyone.

I
chanta76, I think it is a matter of human short term memory instead of one group is more or less racist than the other. We may as well have the roles reversed in a parallel universe, just a food for thought. Another interesting point of discussion, I believe, is the way racism is expressed. Asians tend to be quietly racist and spend their time more productively, maybe because there is less social safety net in their countries. Whites in America likes to display it overtly, because who cares if they get caught or not, the state is going to feed them anyway. In a way it's more like the governing system influencing the people's behaviour.

I believe you spent your whole life growing up in America. There is one thing worth knowing for you and people who share similar background as you (ps I am a migrant who spends my western years after I turned adult, so bullshit has little effect on me). The American racism has a major focus in redlining everyone else from those all too beautiful white women. The high powers overdid this campaign, and now feminazism took over: even white guys cannot get white girls nowadays. They made that monster who couldn't get laid and went out shooting 9 black people because it is always somebody's fault if he could not get laid. Racism in other countries are quite different. Of course people still have a preference for certain looks, and I don't believe that is racism by itself, just personal taste. In other places, if you are of another race, but if you do well in life, are responsible and respectful, all these are taken into account in your dating life success. This is a big difference compared to America where most white women simply ignore you because you are X race. I know for a fact in Ukraine that local women are willing to get to know me on a personal level. I wasn't this or that person with a template personality simply because I am East Asian. I have individual values that are unique, and I am respected for being myself without stereotyping.

Ok, enough race talk from me. I believe we should keep this thread beautiful. Man, Ladislav is putting tears in my eyes with those fresh photos. That photo in Khreschatik is really fresh. They only cordon off part of it for full pedetrian use during weekend. So Ladislav took the photo either today or yesterday. Man, I miss the place so much :wink:
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

This Asian guy is celebrating Ukraine's independence Gangnam Style. It is very much appreciated. Maybe you need to learn to dance Gangnam.

Last edited by ladislav on June 21st, 2015, 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

+10 Lad
:lol:
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Banano
Veteran Poster

Post by Banano »

Lad

Can ukranian citizen travel to crimea? I imagine russians would stamp their passport or noone is allowed to enter crimea from ukranian teritory
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Afaik, since Ukraine and Russia are not formally in a state of war, Ukrainian citizens can in fact go to Crimea but they harass them and ask them all kinds of questions. Then, it's kind of hard for them to stay there. Very few if any of them are visiting, except the Tatars who have family there.

By the way, today I was talking about interracial dating in Ukraine and about blacks, Latinos, Indians and " Oriental Asians". The consensus is it is now OK for blacks to date here- many are. Same goes for Latinos. Indians- also OK. As far as the CJK Asians, the reply was- there are very few of them here, and those who are are very shy and date other CJKs. Local UA Vietnamese date other local UA Vietnamese.

Typical.

So, a Winston 2.0 needs to come here and start exploring.

The thing is, here in UA, it seems that most dating takes place around college classes where foreign students study, or work where foreigners invest or do businesses. UA does not seem to be too open to street dating of strangers, even locals.

Having said that:

chanta76
Experienced Poster

Post by chanta76 »

ladislav,

The Japanese culture is pretty different from the American culture . So your saying that the Ukraine culture is even allot more different? How so?

You mentioned that inter-racial dating is being more and more accepted in Ukraine? Let me guess it's mostly black men or even Asian men in the Ukraine on the hunt for Ukraine women? I mean I met white guys who decided to move to South Korea or even Thailand BECAUSE of the women..not too much of the culture..I think there are many other guys likewise doing it in the Ukraine but if I remember correctly you were in the Philippines for all these years.
I remember watch a international soccer game between Ukraine and I think it was England . The Ukraine fans were pretty racist..and throwing bananas on the soccer field. Again I'm not sure how prevalent racism there is in the Ukraine..but as long as non-whites are a small number and stay humble they be OK but if there are too much and take jobs and the women..that's when your going to have a back lash.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Chanta,

How so? This is how:

The Japanese, and to a lesser extent Koreans and TWese, Thais, VNese, Filipinos etc. have had contact with the US for more than a century . There have been wars, war brides, English lessons, the American culture invasions thru movies and music creating a general obsession with everything American.

Think Hollywood, American English, fashions, student exchange, business exchange, American companies, a huge number of intermarriages plus the long presence of military and business Americans in those countries and vice versa. So, for an Asian person to deal with America and vice versa is a bit hard but not that hard. They know America. And Americans are more or less used to Asians.

Ukraine, otoh, has had virtually no contact with the US. Ukrainian communities in the US are small. Cleveland, Chicago and that's it. There's no history between these two countries, no wars, no war brides, no student exchange, not much trade to speak of. No business exchange, no big delegations of any kind. No American wars or troops here.

And while many Asians have been conquered by the US and grew up on American movies, food, books, etc, the Ukrainian were conquered by Russians and grew up on everything Russian. They watched Russian movies, listened to Russian music and ate Russian food. In some places here you still feel like you are in Russia- although less and less so by the year.

The main Western country Ukrainians feel more or less close to is Canada where they are very visible and where everyone has family. But Canadian culture is too weak to influence Ukraine plus there are not that many Canadians here.

And most Americans know next to nothing about Ukraine except that it is part of... Russia. If they ever heard of it at all. Only 16% could find it on the map.

Yes, racist incidents have happened, and mainly in the East where people are ethnically Russian, but not much in Kiev and not so much now. The country is opening up. Why not come over and find out for yourself?
And yes, you are right about the numbers thing. Except that after the flare up, another stage comes- that of getting used to the newcomers and their absorption and assimilation.

I was in the PH because Ukraine was still in the USSR and after that, it was a dictatorship which required visas. These were abolished in 2005. And by the time I finally decided it was no longer dangerous to go there, I was about 50. Not much for me here once they find out my age. Exceptions exist, but...

Not all foreigners here are sex mongers. Many are studying here, many are businessmen, many are just tourists who enjoy the culture and who want to support the Revolution.
Vegascook
Freshman Poster

Post by Vegascook »

Thanks for the info about Kyiv Ladislav,

I ended up putting off a planned visit to Ukraine because of the war. I was very unhappy that President Obama undermined the lawfully elected government in favor of pro-American opportunists. Interventionism seems to be a disease that the US is unwilling to cure itself of. Our President threw away decades worth of good will earned by the largest Peace Corps presence in any nation we tried to help. Our idiot in chief pushed the Kremlin leadership too far and they invaded. Sounds like you're enjoying your vacation and having fun, good for you! Next summer I might be able to travel to Kyiv if circumstances permit. What's the attitude of the locals towards Americans right now? Is there much of an American expat community left there or has the war encouraged them to leave?

Looking forward to more of your experiences,

Thanks
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Vegascook,

People here are not talking about American "interventionism" much. The talk is America is not sending ( enough) weapons. The attitude towards America is positive, but that it doesn't care, and the country is left alone to fight the Russians.

I haven't met or seen a single American here although I've heard from hotel staff that some are visiting.

There's no war in Kiev and in most of the country, so you would be OK to visit. But you see people in batallion uniforms everywhere. Collections are all over the place, too.

Also, Ukraine responded to the undeclared war by Russia by not declaring war itself. They officially call it ATO ( anti-terrorist operation) so that they could treat all Russians as terrorists.
BlackKnight
Junior Poster

Post by BlackKnight »

Vegascook wrote:Thanks for the info about Kyiv Ladislav,

I ended up putting off a planned visit to Ukraine because of the war. I was very unhappy that President Obama undermined the lawfully elected government in favor of pro-American opportunists. Interventionism seems to be a disease that the US is unwilling to cure itself of. Our President threw away decades worth of good will earned by the largest Peace Corps presence in any nation we tried to help. Our idiot in chief pushed the Kremlin leadership too far and they invaded. Sounds like you're enjoying your vacation and having fun, good for you! Next summer I might be able to travel to Kyiv if circumstances permit. What's the attitude of the locals towards Americans right now? Is there much of an American expat community left there or has the war encouraged them to leave?

Looking forward to more of your experiences,

Thanks
Thank god you didn't go. What an embarrassment lol
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

The people overthrew the president because he had promised the country to sign an agreement with the EU but instead moved towards a possible union with Russia and Kazakhstan. They went out to protest, and he said that he was still going to sign it but later, later. He was just delaying it, basically.

The people mostly dispersed and fell back into apathy. A small group of student protesters stayed on, and some cops came and said they needed to clear the area because they were going to put up a Xmas tree there. These refused. Then, they started beating them with batons ( kind of like what American cops love to do). They left running and called their parents and friends. Soon, the news about the beatings spread and the Maidan got filled with people. Then, all hell broke loose.

Not much of American intervention afaics. People are complaining that America isn't helping. Visits and lip service- and no troops, no weapons ( except some advisers) is not enough. They were really hoping for an intervention, actually.
Banano
Veteran Poster

Post by Banano »

How well would someone like winston wu do in kiev? He is in his 40s and has an exotic look
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Banano.

Ukrainians are reserved and private people. Calm,taciturn and quiet. Each one doing his own thing. Gregarious activities ala Winston in Russia may not go well here. Having said that, these are not Anglos; they are not arrogant or mean-spirited, and he may be a breath of fresh air in this country. The main problem is the language. You can barely see a sign in the Roman alphabet. Not much English is heard.

I think we need a trailblazer ala Winston here to see how well an E. Asian person does in Ukraine.

Black people are called chornoshkiry- black skinned ones and E. Asians are called vusko-okiy- narrow-eyed ones. No offense meant - black people do have black skin and E. Asians do have narrower eyes than these Slavs. At least they don't have any nasty names for E. Asians unlike a whole set of those in the US.

There are very, VERY few E. Asians here. I haven't seen even one with a local girl. Quiet a few blacks with them, though. No one seems to give a darn about the latter. People are worried about other things- like the war.

A friendly country to Asians in Estonia from what I have heard. But if you go to Ukraine, you will be the first one opening the market.