Is Florida really this fun and open?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to North America. For those looking to relocate within the US or Canada, discuss your experiences and pros/cons of each domestic region.
Winston
Site Admin

Is Florida really this fun and open?

Post by Winston »

Someone wrote me this about Florida. Is it really that fun and open? I've heard very mixed things about Florida. Some say it is stuck up and snobby like California, and where image is everything. Others say like the below:

"On a side note, I just wanted to let you know I was in Miami last week on a
business trip and it was incredible!! I had been there before and thoughht
it was a cool town, but this time I went for longer and loved it. I never
thought I could like anyplace in America much, but Miami is very
international/cosmopolitan and friendly. NYC and other major east coast
cities can be cool, but they are very impersonal. I met so many people
(mostly Latin/Asian/Euro expats) who were normal and enjoyed talking about
things other than US pop culture. I was able to talk for hours with some
people who were so kind and inviting. They took me out with them to their
homes/parties without even knowing me too well! THIS IS NOT AMERICA!! People
on the street would strike up conversations about everything from girls to
money to life. It might be a combo of the weather, city, cuban vibe, beach,
wealth, etc. that makes it so great. I thought I would let you know that
there is a fun city in America after all. You should check it out when you
get back (if you ever do) from across the pond."
starscream
Freshman Poster

Florida sucks

Post by starscream »

I lived in South Florida for almost a year and that's not what I found. The whites there complain that the Latinos don't speak English, and they don't like people from the Caribbeans floating onto Florida shores illegally.

People tend to stick to their own kind and speak in their native language.

I went to a Church gathering for young adults and people seemed friendly at first but then they started preaching about how same sex marriage is wrong, stem cell research is wrong, abortion is wrong and evolution is wrong... Florida is full of religious nuts if you ask me.

I think Miami has the least educated population also.
gmm567
Freshman Poster

Post by gmm567 »

I met so many people
(mostly Latin/Asian/Euro expats)

He wasn't circulating in the normal mainstream culture.
KristineTheStrawberryGirl
Freshman Poster

Re: Florida sucks

Post by KristineTheStrawberryGirl »

starscream wrote: they don't like people from the Caribbeans floating onto Florida shores illegally.
Should they like that? I am not sure I am following this point.
"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Ludwig Wittgenstein
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Is Florida really this fun and open?

Post by Winston »

Wow look what OTB told me about Florida:

"I've experienced this in DR, Mexico, and Colombia. People are extremely warm and you never see anyone upset or walking around with a scowl. I feel at home in Latin America. But I also feel this way in Florida. South Florida is great Winston! I went in Sept. and last month with cousin. The people are so relaxed and easy to talk to. I definitely want to move there. I prefer Colombia but to stay close to family I thought that would be perfect. Not too far from family but still close to Latin America."
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

Winston wrote:Wow look what OTB told me about Florida:

"I've experienced this in DR, Mexico, and Colombia. People are extremely warm and you never see anyone upset or walking around with a scowl. I feel at home in Latin America. But I also feel this way in Florida. South Florida is great Winston! I went in Sept. and last month with cousin. The people are so relaxed and easy to talk to. I definitely want to move there. I prefer Colombia but to stay close to family I thought that would be perfect. Not too far from family but still close to Latin America."
I have been seriously thinking about moving to Miami now for a couple of years. I have done some research on jobs and the cost of living in south Florida.

It's a lot less expensive to live there than it is in Chicago (where I live now). There is no state income tax in Florida and of course the weather is great all year round (at least in south Florida).

I prefer Latin women to American white women and Miami has a large Latin female population.
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Winston wrote:Wow look what OTB told me about Florida:

I've been preaching the virtues of Florida for a long time. When I go, I stay in SW Florida which is calmer and less cosmopolitan than Miami/Hollywood/Ft Lauderdale area. Miami Beach especially is extremely touristy and much of the region is heavily latinized. But SW Florida is an easy 2-2.5 hours from either Orlando (theme parks) or Miami Beach. We can also take a 4 hour boat down to Key West.

Since Miami Beach is so latinized and full of people visiting from all over the world, the vibe there is very different. But worst case scenario is you find all of Florida to still be too American for you and then all you have to do is jump on a plane at Hollywood or Miami Airports and your just 1-3 hours from all kinds of exciting destinations - DR, Colombia, Jamaica, Central American republics, Haiti, and even Cuba (via DR or Haiti). It's the true gateway to Latin America in every aspect. And the weather - fantastic!
Mr.Darcy
Freshman Poster

Post by Mr.Darcy »

I've been to Miami and it was really multicultural. It didn't feel like I was in America at all aside from British roommates and English signs. However, the guys there are willing to spend a whole paycheck to impress a girl. It is essentially a rich man's playground. The average is like 20 dollars for a plate in south beach, club covers are expensive, and it is common for men to rent out luxury cars to impress women. You are better off going to Tampa because the women in Miami are spoiled.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Well Cenk Uygur says he got women like a rock star there cus there's a high percentage of gay men but not so many lesbians there lol.

One thing I hate there is that restaurants opposite the beach, even so-called fast food joints that serve you at your table not only add like 18% to your bill as a service charge but also have waiters and waitresses who often seem to expect a further tip on top of that. Parking in Miami Beach is a pain too. Cheapest hotel rooms on South Beach will probably run $65-80. SW Florida (except maybe Naples) is a lot cheaper than Miami for most things including real estate purchases, renting places, or even staying in hotels.
OTB
Freshman Poster

Post by OTB »

Winston wrote:Someone wrote me this about Florida. Is it really that fun and open? I've heard very mixed things about Florida. Some say it is stuck up and snobby like California, and where image is everything. Others say like the below:

"On a side note, I just wanted to let you know I was in Miami last week on a
business trip and it was incredible!! I had been there before and thoughht
it was a cool town, but this time I went for longer and loved it. I never
thought I could like anyplace in America much, but Miami is very
international/cosmopolitan and friendly. NYC and other major east coast
cities can be cool, but they are very impersonal. I met so many people
(mostly Latin/Asian/Euro expats) who were normal and enjoyed talking about
things other than US pop culture. I was able to talk for hours with some
people who were so kind and inviting. They took me out with them to their
homes/parties without even knowing me too well! THIS IS NOT AMERICA!! People
on the street would strike up conversations about everything from girls to
money to life. It might be a combo of the weather, city, cuban vibe, beach,
wealth, etc. that makes it so great. I thought I would let you know that
there is a fun city in America after all. You should check it out when you
get back (if you ever do) from across the pond."
This is one of the reasons I fell in love with Florida. It has more of a Latin American/Caribbean feel to it. I love the fact that it's very multicultural.
There's a lot of Russians/Eastern Europeans and of course a huge South American community. I heard Portuguese in the Aventura Mall, I saw signs for Brazilian festivals, a number of Peruvian and Colombian restaurants, live Latin music in Bayside/Miami and the waitress at a Latin Restaurant
in Miami took my order in Spanish. I was loving it. I also had to return something to Walgreens in Miami and the lady just starting speaking Spanish to me. I felt at home.
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

Florida is a great place when the plug gets pulled on America because there is no where to run but north and it"ll be a Zombie apocalypse and herd stampede all rolled into one. It will be better than the Road Warrior and I will have my traps ready and set to get me some good vittles to munch on for a well fed and stocked future food supply. :D Yummy!
Time to Hide!