America is actully 11 separate nation-states

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
BlackKnight
Junior Poster

America is actully 11 separate nation-states

Post by BlackKnight »

North America can be broken neatly into 11 separate nation-states, where dominant cultures explains voting behavior and attitudes toward everything from social issues to the role of government.

This sounds about right to me:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/gov ... ng_strip_6

This map is not perfect but the objective to show the differences between the North America regions is reached.

Here’s how he breaks down the continent:

Yankeedom: Founded by Puritans, residents in Northeastern states and the industrial Midwest tend to be more comfortable with government regulation. They value education and the common good more than other regions.

New Netherland: The Netherlands was the most sophisticated society in the Western world when New York was founded, Woodard writes, so it’s no wonder that the region has been a hub of global commerce. It’s also the region most accepting of historically persecuted populations.

The Midlands: Stretching from Quaker territory west through Iowa and into more populated areas of the Midwest, the Midlands are “pluralistic and organized around the middle class.” Government intrusion is unwelcome, and ethnic and ideological purity isn’t a priority.

Tidewater: The coastal regions in the English colonies of Virginia, North Carolina, Maryland and Delaware tend to respect authority and value tradition. Once the most powerful American nation, it began to decline during Westward expansion.

Greater Appalachia: Extending from West Virginia through the Great Smoky Mountains and into Northwest Texas, the descendants of Irish, English and Scottish settlers value individual liberty. Residents are “intensely suspicious of lowland aristocrats and Yankee social engineers.”

Deep South: Dixie still traces its roots to the caste system established by masters who tried to duplicate West Indies-style slave society, Woodard writes. The Old South values states’ rights and local control and fights the expansion of federal powers.

El Norte: Southwest Texas and the border region is the oldest, and most linguistically different, nation in the Americas. Hard work and self-sufficiency are prized values.

The Left Coast: A hybrid, Woodard says, of Appalachian independence and Yankee utopianism loosely defined by the Pacific Ocean on one side and coastal mountain ranges like the Cascades and the Sierra Nevadas on the other. The independence and innovation required of early explorers continues to manifest in places like Silicon Valley and the tech companies around Seattle.

The Far West: The Great Plains and the Mountain West were built by industry, made necessary by harsh, sometimes inhospitable climates. Far Westerners are intensely libertarian and deeply distrustful of big institutions, whether they are railroads and monopolies or the federal government.

New France: Former French colonies in and around New Orleans and Quebec tend toward consensus and egalitarian, “among the most liberal on the continent, with unusually tolerant attitudes toward gays and people of all races and a ready acceptance of government involvement in the economy,” Woodard writes.

Im going to work this out in more detail on http://travelwhiz.org creating a whole new map with new nation-states
IraqVet2003
Junior Poster

Re: America is actully 11 separate nation-states

Post by IraqVet2003 »

This a very interesting map!!! I really believe this is to be the true map of America reflecting it's social, cultural, religious, and political norms.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

I was just thinking about this recently. What about south-of-the-border influence? I know there is good & bad to the influx of people from south of the border, but how does that factor into the map? I definitely think latins are less okay with all kinds of synthetics & corn syrup & shit like that in their food. One plus right there.

They tend more toward fighting shit when there's a problem. Or to "sit on the throne," let's be honest. But it's there. A good trait & one that I've found suprising rare with whites in this country.

Latin women tend to be a bit more passionate & seem to really care for their families- some times too much (like the cliche situation of the young boys getting spoiled & fawned-over). Passionate, vigorous, generally more direct. Potentially more appreciative (or at least approving) of a man that's considerate of them without being a priss-ass.

But... there's the concept of not being of "la raza" & having all kinds of bullshit with someone's family- particularly if they want to use group tactics so one can be a priss-ass. AND, apparently, they get a lot in benefits that aren't technically "above board." If I were to try that, it's no-go. If I try to get an entry-level job, it's no-go (although that seems to have a lot to do with the wonderful employers trying to cut corners). If I say or do something that clashes with them, there's a good chance that I'm considered a racist & engaged by MY OWN SHADE. Again, not entirely on them- but it's a thing I think about.
The Un-American
Freshman Poster

Post by The Un-American »

Not sure I agree with this map. They really think Fargo, ND has more in common with Massachusetts than it does with Bismarck?
BlackKnight
Junior Poster

Post by BlackKnight »

IraqVet2003 wrote:This a very interesting map!!! I really believe this is to be the true map of America reflecting it's social, cultural, religious, and political norms.
Yup, it's time to move beyond idiocy
BlackKnight
Junior Poster

Post by BlackKnight »

Wolfeye wrote:I was just thinking about this recently. What about south-of-the-border influence? I know there is good & bad to the influx of people from south of the border, but how does that factor into the map? I definitely think latins are less okay with all kinds of synthetics & corn syrup & shit like that in their food. One plus right there.

They tend more toward fighting shit when there's a problem. Or to "sit on the throne," let's be honest. But it's there. A good trait & one that I've found suprising rare with whites in this country.

Latin women tend to be a bit more passionate & seem to really care for their families- some times too much (like the cliche situation of the young boys getting spoiled & fawned-over). Passionate, vigorous, generally more direct. Potentially more appreciative (or at least approving) of a man that's considerate of them without being a priss-ass.

But... there's the concept of not being of "la raza" & having all kinds of bullshit with someone's family- particularly if they want to use group tactics so one can be a priss-ass. AND, apparently, they get a lot in benefits that aren't technically "above board." If I were to try that, it's no-go. If I try to get an entry-level job, it's no-go (although that seems to have a lot to do with the wonderful employers trying to cut corners). If I say or do something that clashes with them, there's a good chance that I'm considered a racist & engaged by MY OWN SHADE. Again, not entirely on them- but it's a thing I think about.
I will address this in my piece 8)
WorldTraveler
Experienced Poster

Post by WorldTraveler »

The Un-American wrote:Not sure I agree with this map. They really think Fargo, ND has more in common with Massachusetts than it does with Bismarck?
I didn't agree with his map and what he said in the article. New Orleans has little in common with Quebec province. His map is wrong in many places. Has anybody read his book? A better map and book is "The 9 Nations of North America" by Joel Garreau. This book gets it right.

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/20 ... ears-later
Zionosis
Freshman Poster

Post by Zionosis »

It's the same for most countries. But the USA is just a bit more multicultural and more exaggerated in that regard, so it's even more obvious in the USA.

But it shouldn't have been news to you that different area's of a country have slightly different views or even ethnic ratio's and accents.

Also they aren't quite as definite as a line as in you cross the border into the other state and the people are totally different, it's a softer effect. Similar to ring populations. Basically as the map calls "The Deep south" for example should be like like a gradient color which weakens as it merges closer to another area.

So no! America isn't 11 nation states, sorry.
BlackKnight
Junior Poster

Post by BlackKnight »

WorldTraveler wrote:
The Un-American wrote:Not sure I agree with this map. They really think Fargo, ND has more in common with Massachusetts than it does with Bismarck?
I didn't agree with his map and what he said in the article. New Orleans has little in common with Quebec province. His map is wrong in many places. Has anybody read his book? A better map and book is "The 9 Nations of North America" by Joel Garreau. This book gets it right.

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/20 ... ears-later

As I said before, I'm working on a better piece/map for my website. I'm currently reading "American Nations" .
BlackKnight
Junior Poster

Post by BlackKnight »

Zionosis wrote:It's the same for most countries. But the USA is just a bit more multicultural and more exaggerated in that regard, so it's even more obvious in the USA.

But it shouldn't have been news to you that different area's of a country have slightly different views or even ethnic ratio's and accents.

Also they aren't quite as definite as a line as in you cross the border into the other state and the people are totally different, it's a softer effect. Similar to ring populations. Basically as the map calls "The Deep south" for example should be like like a gradient color which weakens as it merges closer to another area.

So no! America isn't 11 nation states, sorry.
You silly leporidae, this post was in response to the widespread oversimplification/idiocy of naively generalizing a whole country from one location. Given that experiences within a single county can be so varied that in many cases you might have several experiences represented.
GoingAwol
Junior Poster

Post by GoingAwol »

I live in Greater Appalachia according to this and I agree with what it says but I also feel that GA and the Deep South are one in the same in alot of ways. You can't really distinguish between the two as both regions are more or less alike.