Going to PH

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Jerry8787
Freshman Poster

Going to PH

Post by Jerry8787 »

Hi guys, I'm going to the Phillippines in October to visit and meet a girl for the first time, i have a couple back ups just in case. Anyways, I'm in the process of buying my plane ticket and it seems to be almost $650 extra to fly from lax to davao when its only about $500 to fly to manila, would it be better to just fly to manila then purchase a bushflight to davao?
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Going to PH

Post by MarcosZeitola »

Yeah just fly to Manila, then get a bus ride at one of the nearby terminals. Be sure to know the common prices; a bus ride, even a very far one, can't ever be more then 1000 pesos, so don't get screwed. A cab ride for half an hour from the airport will be more expensive then a regular bus to Davao. You could be in Davao for little over twenty dollars, so it's cheaper then the $650 flight.

Good luck on meeting your girl, hope you two hit it off and have a blast! :D
On "Faux-Tradionalists" and why they're heading nowhere: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=37&t=29144
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

What? A bus-ride from Manila to Davao?

Better use one of the boats. There is regular shipping between Manila and Davao.
Even cheaper by ship than by bus, but it takes a little bit longer, expect about 26 hours by bus and 44 hours by ship.

Yes, airplane is expensive - up to USD 150,- or so - but it is only 2 hours ... up to you, plenty of choice.
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

Yohan wrote:What? A bus-ride from Manila to Davao?

Better use one of the boats. There is regular shipping between Manila and Davao.
Even cheaper by ship than by bus, but it takes a little bit longer, expect about 26 hours by bus and 44 hours by ship.

Yes, airplane is expensive - up to USD 150,- or so - but it is only 2 hours ... up to you, plenty of choice.
Flights to Davao or cebu or most other cities in PI are cheap, especially if you look for discounts a bit in advance. Cebu Pacific's website is glacial but they have lots of cheap fares.

My first trip to the Philippines I did just this. I flew into Manila, actually spent the night at a hotel, and then took an early morning flight to Davao. I like Cebu Pacific so that's what I usually book in advance.

I sort of like ferries but directly after a 20+ hour flight, I am not ready for a ferry :) The other nice thing about flights via Cebu Pacific is there is no penalty for a one way flight vs. round trip. So, that 1st trip I went from Manila to Davao, Davao to Cebu, and Cebu back to Manila. The flights were short and cheap.
MR2
Freshman Poster

Post by MR2 »

No Way!!!

If I could pay 150 bucks to avoid Manila airport I would do it. Actually I get as close as possible to it. I step off the plane in Manila, and I get into a private taxi to Angeles City going directly to my apartment.

Also do you have your throwaway ticket?
(If not look at cebupacific.com; the flight from Manila to Taiwan is usually reasonable.)

It will be hard to find a connecting flight that allows you to wait at the airport in Manila when you land, and then board for Davao. So you will most likely need to stay overnight in a hotel. Manila airport is not that bad as far as landing grabbing your bags then making an exit at night. Trying to get a flight out of that airport is not fun.

If you do go through Manila then slip the guys at the front 500 pesos and you can skip the long lines, and go inside. Just keep 500 on you, they will find and solicit you.
activliv
Freshman Poster

Post by activliv »

A bus trip to Davao may take more than 24 hours and the bus fare is almost the same as the budget tix offered by Cebu Pacific. Got one before for only $ 40. If you can find pick a flight from Manila to Davao, that costs less than $ 150, with a departure time that's almost close to your arrival time in MLA so you don't need to get a hotel, then that's just perfect. Otherwise, it's best to spare yourself from all the hassle and just grab that $ 650 tix.
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

activliv wrote:A bus trip to Davao may take more than 24 hours and the bus fare is almost the same as the budget tix offered by Cebu Pacific. Got one before for only $ 40. If you can find pick a flight from Manila to Davao, that costs less than $ 150, with a departure time that's almost close to your arrival time in MLA so you don't need to get a hotel, then that's just perfect. Otherwise, it's best to spare yourself from all the hassle and just grab that $ 650 tix.
Remember - just because you paid the extra $650 doesn't mean the connection to Davao is immediate. You will still be waiting in Manila for the flight to Davao. I have done it both ways: getting a hotel for 5 hours of sleep; and going to terminal 3 and crashing on a chair. Neither is perfect and the OP knows best as to which way he likes to work it.

Personally, I now only fly into Cebu, partly because my wife's family lives on the island of Cebu and partially because Manila's airport does suck. There's no perfect answer but you will still have a great trip!
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

davewe wrote: Personally, I now only fly into Cebu, partly because my wife's family lives on the island of Cebu and partially because Manila's airport does suck. There's no perfect answer but you will still have a great trip!
Same with me, now using only the direct flight Tokyo - Cebu. About 4.5 hours. It might be more expensive with Philippine Airlines but it is worth the money.

Only when coming from Bangkok, I have to change the airplane in Manila, but I always had a connection flight within less than 2 hours.

No experience with Davao, but I would always go to Cebu first and to continue from there. Plenty of accommodation in Cebu, airport is not far away, to stay overnight in Cebu is easy.
Zambales
Experienced Poster

Post by Zambales »

Forget getting the bus. The last thing you need after a long haul flight is to spend two days on one trundling through the backwaters of Samar & Leyte, together with a couple of ferry crossings, to reach Davao.

I haven't caught a domestic flight in the Phils for awhile now but I used to fly with Tiger Airways mostly because of their excellent promo's. I once paid as little as 800 peso's for a flight which is about the equivalent to half the price of a standard hotel room in the Philippines, but that was travelling light.

Not sure what kind of deals they're doing presently but it's worth checking them out.
Zambales
Experienced Poster

Post by Zambales »

Also.

If you plan to take out travel insurance be aware that some companies will cover the Philippines but not Mindanao, simply because of the ongoing terrorist activity in the south-west of the island.
Jerry8787
Freshman Poster

Post by Jerry8787 »

Thank you guys, but I mean its an extra $650 plus the 500 to fly to davao, but already purchased my ticket, which total only cost me aroud 800, includes manila to davao then butuan to manila.
Jerry8787
Freshman Poster

Post by Jerry8787 »

Thank you guys, but I mean its an extra $650 plus the 500 to fly to davao, but already purchased my ticket, which total only cost me aroud 800, includes manila to davao then butuan to manila.

Return to “Asia, China, Philippines, Thailand”