How do you handle humidity?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

How do you handle humidity?

Post by Johnny1975 »

I love warmth. I'd rather be too hot than too cold. But I can't stand constant humidity. I hate weather than forces me to make a constant effort to be comfortable. I like weather that energizes you and makes you want to do something.

For those of you who live in or have spent time in humid countries, how the hell do you cope with it? I just couldn't do it. It's one of the reasons why I'm having second thoughts about ever going to SE Asia.
Jonny Law
Experienced Poster

Re: How do you handle humidity?

Post by Jonny Law »

Johnny1975 wrote:I love warmth. I'd rather be too hot than too cold. But I can't stand constant humidity. I hate weather than forces me to make a constant effort to be comfortable. I like weather that energizes you and makes you want to do something.

For those of you who live in or have spent time in humid countries, how the hell do you cope with it? I just couldn't do it. It's one of the reasons why I'm having second thoughts about ever going to SE Asia.
You handle the humidity by: STOP BEING A PATHETIC LITTLE BITCH!

Do not leave your mothers basement and you should be fine.

Thanks and enjoy.
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

Post by Johnny1975 »

Jonny Law wrote:
Johnny1975 wrote:I love warmth. I'd rather be too hot than too cold. But I can't stand constant humidity. I hate weather than forces me to make a constant effort to be comfortable. I like weather that energizes you and makes you want to do something.

Thanks and enjoy.
That's it, you're not invited to my party this weekend. My mum's making sandwiches and orange squash, not that you'll get to enjoy it. Ha!
Jonny Law
Experienced Poster

Post by Jonny Law »

Johnny1975 wrote:
Jonny Law wrote:

Thanks and enjoy.
That's it, you're not invited to my party this weekend. My mum's making sandwiches and orange squash, not that you'll get to enjoy it. Ha!
Seriously my friend your body will adapt. Acclimation is what we are able to do if you are outside enough.

-Definition-
Acclimation- : the process or result of acclimating; especially : physiological adjustment by an organism to environmental change.

In my Professional opinion, the climate in SE Asia is Awesome.
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

Post by Johnny1975 »

Jonny Law wrote:
Johnny1975 wrote:
Jonny Law wrote:

Thanks and enjoy.
Seriously my friend your body will adapt. Acclimation is what we are able to do if you are outside enough.

-Definition-
Acclimation- : the process or result of acclimating; especially : physiological adjustment by an organism to environmental change.

In my Professional opinion, the climate in SE Asia is Awesome.
Well I've heard that it's possible to adapt. I guess I just find it hard to imagine. But I've also heard that people in Bangkok walk so slowly because of the climate. How long does it take to adapt? I have a friend who's married to a thai girl and he goes to Thailand for a few weeks every year and he says that you can't walk down the street for long before needing to go inside where there's air conditioning.

And today I was listening to to a podcast where this guy who's been there a lot says that the heat and humidity makes you sluggish. Not to mention the smog. I imagine Manila would be more or less the same. And Hong Kong, and Kuala Lumpur. I'd love to go and I don't mind a bit of humidity but it seems way too much over there. Also I have a bit of an issue with anxiety and I think too much humidity would make it worse.
Jonny Law
Experienced Poster

Post by Jonny Law »

Yes if you are a weak pathetic little bitch like your friend and have to run inside to Air Conditioning, then YES! YES you should avoid going anywhere outside of your mother's basement.

If you spend your time outside, getting a suntan enjoying the beaches you should not have a problem. But if you want to continue being a pathetic little bitch continue what you are doing.

In Manila it took me maybe 10 minutes to adapt to the wonderful weather. Although I spent most of my days and nights in Hotels and Resorts having sex.
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

Post by Johnny1975 »

Jonny Law wrote:Yes if you are a weak pathetic little bitch like your friend and have to run inside to Air Conditioning, then YES! YES you should avoid going anywhere outside of your mother's basement.

If you spend your time outside, getting a suntan enjoying the beaches you should not have a problem. But if you want to continue being a pathetic little bitch continue what you are doing.

In Manila it took me maybe 10 minutes to adapt to the wonderful weather. Although I spent most of my days and nights in Hotels and Resorts having sex.
Stop calling me a bitch or I'll call my mother.
onethousandknives
Junior Poster

Post by onethousandknives »

I dunno, drink lots of water?

I dunno. For me I'm glad I got conditioned just to being kind of hot. As a teenager one summer my bedroom was second floor and I had no air conditioning, and it was hot and it sucked and I lived with it. Eventually if you go a whole month or more with constant heat you'll just get used to it and it won't feel so bad.

I guess for some psuedo-science, you can look at Chinese food therapy as well. During the summer it's not recommended to have lots of chili peppers and meat, especially fried meat for example, as it raises "heat" in the body, and they recommend more like, salads, cucumbers, etc, whereas winter is when you'd eat more meat, etc, as it's cold. You'll notice a lot of Vietnamese food for example, even if it's hot and contains meat, will contain other things to balance out the "heat" things, like the carrots, cucumbers, etc, whereas Western food doesn't really take that into account. Also in TCM beer is considered cooling, lololol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_food_therapy
It's at least worth a try, imo. To me this stuff has helped me quite a lot, so yeah.
drealm
Junior Poster

Post by drealm »

I've been to Shanghai twice, it's not my cup of tea. I did notice that people who lived there didn't like air conditioners, they felt it was unnatural. On really bad days most people go to health spas instead of going outside. I think your only way to adapt is to live there for a while and not use AC. A coworker of mine said that after three years living in a humid place it didn't bother him.
Signet
Freshman Poster

Post by Signet »

How long it takes to acclimate depends on how different the weather is in your new destination as compared to where you come from. There's not really a magic formula, or a 'this specific amount of time.' Are you coming to Vietnam from northern Alaska? Then you're probably going to want to plan on taking awhile to get used to it. If you're coming from Texas, you're not going to have nearly the same adjustment period. Also, retreating indoors to A/C for long periods probably doesn't help the acclimation. Maybe it's something to do if you're planning to live there, and have an essentially infinite amount of time. If you're just taking a month off work, then either you'll need to do everything you had hoped to do indoors, or break yourself in really fast. You don't want to not acclimate, and then spend all your time outside looking like you just ran a marathon and then fell down a hill. That look is attractive on exactly nobody. You're never going to not feel at least a little shitty when the weather is particularly harsh, but the goal is just to get past the 'looks (and feels) like they're about to keel over and die' phase.

Drink a lot of water. If you're coming from a mild/cold environment, drink more than you think you need, because you need more than you think. Best tool for coping with that sort of thing. It sounds simplistic and obvious, but it's really easy to forget.
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

While I don't live in the Philippines (yet) even when visiting there are things I noticed myself doing, most of which were imitating Filipinos.

Walk slower. You don't need that frenetic pace anyway.
Do less. What is there that you must accomplish and must accomplish now?
It's not all about the AC. My inlaws live in a very simple home and certainly do not have aircon. But it's built where there's lots of shade, they have a couple of floor fans and every time I have been there I have not felt very hot.
Take a nap. I think by now we all know why people in tropical climates take naps/siestas at the height of the afternoon heat. Hell, even the dogs are smart enough to find a shady place to nap.
Drink lots of fluids - seems obvious. Of course beer and cool treats introduce their own problems, but I risk it.
Have fun. There's nothing like having a great time and exciting adventures to make you forget what is essentially a minor discomfort.
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

Post by Johnny1975 »

davewe wrote:

While I don't live in the Philippines (yet) even when visiting there are things I noticed myself doing, most of which were imitating Filipinos.

It's not all about the AC. My inlaws live in a very simple home and certainly do not have aircon. But it's built where there's lots of shade, they have a couple of floor fans and every time I have been there I have not felt very hot.
Take a nap. I think by now we all know why people in tropical climates take naps/siestas at the height of the afternoon heat. Hell, even the dogs are smart enough to find a shady place to nap.
Drink lots of fluids - seems obvious. Of course beer and cool treats introduce their own problems, but I risk it.
Have fun. There's nothing like having a great time and exciting adventures to make you forget what is essentially a minor discomfort.
I wish I could believe it, but I live in the UK and there have been summers when even if I'm naked with a fan and a wet towel and splashing water on myself every few minutes and it's still been uncomfortable, and based on what I've heard about the climate over there, I would imagine it's even worse.

I don't mind adjusting, but what I don't like is having to drastically change the way I live just to be able to function, like walking slower and doing less things. I like weather that is reasonable. I come from a part of the world where the weather is literally perfect, so maybe I'm comparing it with that, but still, it just seems too harsh in the Philippines.

Having said that, I've heard conflicting information about all kinds of things and maybe it's not as bad as I've come to believe. Who knows. Maybe the people who say it's really bad are very nitpicky or can't handle a bit of heat and humidity, or maybe it really is that bad. I have no way of knowing (and I'm not in a position to go there yet).

I guess it's more uncomfortable when you combine humidity with high temperatures. The heat makes you sweat, and the humidity doesn't let you, so it causes discomfort. Also I have a bit of an issue with anxiety and that's the real reason why I'm concerned. The last thing I want is to feel dizzy if I'm already a bit anxious. Not a good combination.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Well, here's a sympathetic response to the problem. When I was in Thailand last year the air just about knocked me over. The wretched climate, combined with the squalor and decadence of the country, made me curtail any plans and just stay inside as much as possible while I was there. Don't ever want to go back to that part of the world.

I am, however, conditioned to dry heat, after living in Arizona for a few years. But 45 years ago I lived for a year in the Panama Canal Zone, which has got to be as bad as southeast Asia for humidity. And I've spent a few summers in New Orleans, which is almost as bad. So you can adjust somewhat.

But I really don't want to spend any significant amount of time now in a climate that makes me feel lethargic. Asia just isn't on my radar.
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

Johnny1975 wrote:
davewe wrote:

I wish I could believe it, but I live in the UK and there have been summers when even if I'm naked with a fan and a wet towel and splashing water on myself every few minutes and it's still been uncomfortable, and based on what I've heard about the climate over there, I would imagine it's even worse.

I don't mind adjusting, but what I don't like is having to drastically change the way I live just to be able to function, like walking slower and doing less things. I like weather that is reasonable. I come from a part of the world where the weather is literally perfect, so maybe I'm comparing it with that, but still, it just seems too harsh in the Philippines.

Having said that, I've heard conflicting information about all kinds of things and maybe it's not as bad as I've come to believe. Who knows. Maybe the people who say it's really bad are very nitpicky or can't handle a bit of heat and humidity, or maybe it really is that bad. I have no way of knowing (and I'm not in a position to go there yet).

I guess it's more uncomfortable when you combine humidity with high temperatures. The heat makes you sweat, and the humidity doesn't let you, so it causes discomfort. Also I have a bit of an issue with anxiety and that's the real reason why I'm concerned. The last thing I want is to feel dizzy if I'm already a bit anxious. Not a good combination.
Maybe it's not for you, but you won't know until you try. Yep, no way around it - it's hot and humid. If that's a deal breaker for you - that's a deal breaker.

You question was "how do you handle humidity." To handle it you will need to adjust. But then you would need to adjust about a lot of things, and many guys can't make that leap. Only one way to find out.
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

Post by Johnny1975 »

davewe wrote:
Johnny1975 wrote:
davewe wrote:

Maybe it's not for you, but you won't know until you try. Yep, no way around it - it's hot and humid. If that's a deal breaker for you - that's a deal breaker.

You question was "how do you handle humidity." To handle it you will need to adjust. But then you would need to adjust about a lot of things, and many guys can't make that leap. Only one way to find out.
Well you know what, if it's not meant to be then I guess Barcelona might be an option. From what I've heard there are quite a few filipinas there. And it's next to the sea which I like, and the weather is very reasonable.

I've been racking my brains trying to think of a place near the Philippines that I could live in if I ever make enough money, but it's just as bad all over that part of the world. Why can't they change the Philippines to suit me, and bring it closer to Europe. Your wife is a filipina, can't she pull some strings?