Serious question about Health in Asia

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
Chrissays
Freshman Poster

Serious question about Health in Asia

Post by Chrissays »

Hi everyone,

Haven't posted in a while, Iv been busy with school and I only have four more classes until I graduate this December.

Anyway, I have a serious question about my health when I move to Asia.

I have a serious bone barrow condition; I need constant blood transfusions and sooner or later, I might need a bone marrow transplant. Will the situation of my health be a burden to future employers? Do some schools handle large health issues like the one I'm describing?

I can buy health insurance policies when I'm in Asia if that's possible but do they accept new patients with pre-existing health conditions?

I think my health issue may be beyond the scope of what health insurance international schools can provide.

Anybody with experience or advice on this subject please write in, thank you.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Serious question about Health in Asia

Post by zboy1 »

Chrissays wrote:Hi everyone,

Haven't posted in a while, Iv been busy with school and I only have four more classes until I graduate this December.

Anyway, I have a serious question about my health when I move to Asia.

I have a serious bone barrow condition; I need constant blood transfusions and sooner or later, I might need a bone marrow transplant. Will the situation of my health be a burden to future employers? Do some schools handle large health issues like the one I'm describing?

I can buy health insurance policies when I'm in Asia if that's possible but do they accept new patients with pre-existing health conditions?

I think my health issue may be beyond the scope of what health insurance international schools can provide.

Anybody with experience or advice on this subject please write in, thank you.
Sorry. Having such serious health problems will be a major barrier to gaining employment in Asia. Now, if you are just moving to Asia and retiring in a place like Thailand or the Philippines, then as long as you have health insurance, you will be covered. They have very good hospitals and clinics that cater mostly to foreigners in those countries.

On the other hand, if you don't currently have health insurance, the best you can do is get an International health insurance policy. But you will have a hard time getting one--especially someone with your type of health problems and pre-existing conditions.
Chrissays
Freshman Poster

Post by Chrissays »

Hey Zboy,

Where can I obtain a international health insurance policy? It's worth giving it a shot despite my health condition, what else do I have to lose.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

BUPA in the UK. They insure in most countries, and their specialty is people who want to travel around. Don't know what their policy is on preexisting conditions.
lovesong
Freshman Poster

Post by lovesong »

Been awhile since I last posted but I spent a lot of time researching travel insurance policies awhile back so hopefully this helps you.

First off, to find a good hospital, this is a good site:

http://www.patientsbeyondborders.com/hospital

For different policies, here are three:

http://www.cignaglobal.com/health-insurance-plans
https://www.geobluetravelinsurance.com/p...erview.cfm
http://www.aetnainternational.com/ai/en

There's also a website where you could actually feedback from different people's actual experiences dealing with the carrier and I remember many people complaining that when they actually needed to use the insurance, a lot of the coverage they thought they would get ended up being a headache to to get, specifically pertaining to pre-existing conditions so make sure you clarify those items since that could mess everything up.

I haven't purchased one yet but I remember liking Geo Blue Travel Insurance for the main reason that they have a network of hospitals you can search on their site and to me that sounds better as opposed to having to present your insurance to a hospital that may or may not take your insurance. If I were you, I'd try to find a good hospital that you think you might frequent a lot, then call them up directly and ask what insurance they take.

Good luck and please keep us posted with your experience as I am looking for a good policy for my elderly mom who I plan on bringing with me, thus medical insurance is extremely important to my long term travels.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Few policies will cover you for pre-existing conditions.

I got cheap cover in Asia but it was kind of long term vacation insurance, not expat insurance. With vacation insurance if you have a serious condition they'll fly you home.

Expat insurance is pretty expensive.

I did have to buy Chinese medical insurance through my school when I studied there. Goodness knows what that covered.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.