Expatriation Apocalypse - My New Guide

What's your story? Discussions your reasons for going abroad.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Re: Expatriation Apocalypse - My New Guide

Post by Wolfeye »

Listen guys, I think you're all forgetting some big points:

(1) There's a LOT of male leadership. To blame this on women that frequently aren't taken seriously (but are humored from time to time) is a bit much. I don't think feminism is the cause of all these types of things, but it can have an overriding influence on men & women alike.

(2) What about the work-centric lifestyles as a cause of social issues? That mentality was something men were very big on- especially considering that the man would flip out if the woman DIDN'T spend, because it would somehow imply that he wasn't an intense enough provider (probably because it would be congruent with him not being a intense enough provider). Then trying to tell him that he's wrong is going to spark off all kinds of pissy "I'm the best" problems.

(3) That brings up #3: Egotism. What about all those years that Americans said that America was the best country in the world? Saying this across the board without ever going to another country. This applies to a general mental rigidity- that they'll keep on a particular course of action because they're too arrogant to think that they're wrong. A perfect example people getting all types of pissed-off if their (or their culture's) plans didn't work, but blaming the person that the plan failed & not the plan itself. Another one is maintaining a manner of doing things even when it doesn't work- things like making all kinds of jokes about how "we don't stop doing the wrong thing because it's wrong, we just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right." A woman might do things like that, but usually it's men that are that way.

(4) Safety Obsession. Always looking to make things more safe, yet the safety measures become the things to be kept safe from. The belief that "it's okay to be scared" is being taken to the level of corrosive cowardice. People act like whatever someone does when they're scared is okay- this facilitates cops flipping out & saying "I feared for my life." It's to the point where merely saying these words is something that gets them out of whatever trouble they might find themselves in. This is something that leaves the women to be the ones to "have some balls" & protect the kids, as well as themselves- because the men think it's more manly to not "be macho" & just accommodate whatever is thrown at them or theirs, as well as whatever is directed at people in general.

(5) Acting like whoever wins the conflict is the "Better Man." This kind of bullshit is almost exclusively male. Even an old man in his death bed can be right. If there was a guy that snaps his neck & says "No, two plus two is actually five", he's not right about that. Men like to excite a sense of being dangerous in various ways. One would be trying to excite a sense of invincibility by affirming that they are okay with a plan that they would HAVE to be invincible for it to work out for them. This is facilitating an attack as a means of prevention, which is a failure- something the guy figures he'll survive because he's deliberately acting in a way that is congruent with this situation.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Great job Ghost on putting up an Ebook on Kindle. We should all get a copy and post good reviews for you so that it will go up in rankings. Why are you selling it for only 2 dollars though? That's so cheap.

I'll promote your ebook to my mailing list too.

Why did you name it "Apocalypse" though? That sounds like the Christian Armageddon or End Times. Sounds too religious. The term usually refers to a final all out war. lol. Why not call it "Expatriation Exodus" or "Exodus from America" or something? lol
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Wolfeye wrote:Is it going to be in book form at any point? I don't have kindle.
If you have a smart phone, you can download the Kindle App to your phone. Just go to Google Play Store on your phone and do a search for it. It's free.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... zon.kindle

Or you can download Kindle for PC and read it on your computer. It's free.

Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

-----
Last edited by Ghost on October 27th, 2016, 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

-----
Last edited by Ghost on October 27th, 2016, 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
IndiesPyrate
Freshman Poster

Post by IndiesPyrate »

Ghost wrote:Part of Expatriation Apocalypse deals with simplifying your life. It's vitally important to de-clutter your life. If your home is cluttered with junk, chances are your mind is cluttered also. Selling things is a good idea. I often give things away to the local thrift store. The core goal is to stop being a consumer. You want to break the cycle of consumption. I think takes a toll on a human being that goes beyond the physical to the spiritual. De-cluttering your physical world is a way to unclog your spirit, so to speak.

The “Roaring Twenties” that saw the proliferation of things like household appliances in the up and coming middle class. And of course, there was the proliferation of the automobile. Consumerism and marketing were brought forth thanks to Edward Bernays, the nephew of Sigmund Freud. Economic hope seemed to spring eternal.

Very few people know who Edward Bernays was, and yet he was essentially the creator of marketing. Before Bernays, advertising was about displaying a product's usefulness. Bernays worked to change that into making people want superfluous things that had no tangible use, instead indicating class and status.

He even convinced American women to take up smoking (which had prior been considered a male-only practice) with a marketing campaign.There's a good documentary called "The Century of the Self," which explains how consumerism got its start and the role Bernays played:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT_edvJi ... fz&index=6

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Good one, Indie.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Ghost wrote:
Part of Expatriation Apocalypse deals with simplifying your life. It's vitally important to de-clutter your life. If your home is cluttered with junk, chances are your mind is cluttered also. Selling things is a good idea. I often give things away to the local thrift store. The core goal is to stop being a consumer. You want to break the cycle of consumption. I think takes a toll on a human being that goes beyond the physical to the spiritual. De-cluttering your physical world is a way to unclog your spirit, so to speak.
Today I decided this is integral to my reaching the next stage in expatriation. I caravan'd down to Baja with all my stuff.

To take the next step I need to de-clutter. Precisely.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

-----
Last edited by Ghost on October 27th, 2016, 8:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

-----
Last edited by Ghost on October 27th, 2016, 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

-----
Last edited by Ghost on October 27th, 2016, 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I'm reading Ghost's book now on Kindle. Wow he is a good writer. He mentions me and HappierAbroad in his book too. Thanks. There is a paperback version now too at his Amazon link. You guys should check it out and post a review for it. I will post a review too when I read more of it.

Ghost, where are you in China now? Maybe we can make a documentary together or co-author a book together sometime.

Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

-----
Last edited by Ghost on October 27th, 2016, 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Ghost wrote some blog posts in our HA blog to promote his new book. Check them out!

3 Reasons Why You Should Read Expatriation Apocalypse!
http://blog.happierabroad.com/2015/07/t ... -read.html

3 Reasons Why You Should Consider Teaching English Abroad
http://blog.happierabroad.com/2015/07/3 ... broad.html

Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

-----
Last edited by Ghost on October 27th, 2016, 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.