What asian countries allow foreigners to own land?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the Asian countries - China, The Philippines, Thailand, etc.
yatterman1
Freshman Poster

What asian countries allow foreigners to own land?

Post by yatterman1 »

Are there any?
globetrotter
Experienced Poster

Post by globetrotter »

Why is this important?

I know that most Anglos have this obsession with owning land and 'no one can tax me on it or take it away, forever, for 10,000 year's...but functionally speaking you can rent a house in rural Asia for $200 a month forever. 100 year leases are common in Asia.

Yes, yes, yes, the big bad government can come and force you to move, blah, blah, blah.

You can buy land in the RP, through your spouse in Thailand or Vietnam, China all land is owned by The People but you can own the house or a condo or apartment for cheap and rent for cheaper.
yatterman1
Freshman Poster

Post by yatterman1 »

globetrotter wrote:Why is this important?

I know that most Anglos have this obsession with owning land and 'no one can tax me on it or take it away, forever, for 10,000 year's...but functionally speaking you can rent a house in rural Asia for $200 a month forever. 100 year leases are common in Asia.

Yes, yes, yes, the big bad government can come and force you to move, blah, blah, blah.

You can buy land in the RP, through your spouse in Thailand or Vietnam, China all land is owned by The People but you can own the house or a condo or apartment for cheap and rent for cheaper.

Yeah but if I marry a woman and she decides to leave me, my understanding is she can legally kick me out and there's not a damn thing I can do about it.

So I can lease land on my own? Would I have a ton of restrictions and is there a chance the government would force me to move? I know you preemptively mocked this point but thats a pretty valid question.

Also when you lease land is it like a one time fee and you're good for 50 years or whatever or are there monthly/yearly fees?
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

yatterman1 wrote:

Yeah but if I marry a woman and she decides to leave me, my understanding is she can legally kick me out and there's not a damn thing I can do about it.

So I can lease land on my own? Would I have a ton of restrictions and is there a chance the government would force me to move? I know you preemptively mocked this point but thats a pretty valid question.

Also when you lease land is it like a one time fee and you're good for 50 years or whatever or are there monthly/yearly fees?
Whatever you do, never buy land or put assets in your local wife's name, at least not in SE Asia. If you do, you give her power and incentive her leave you. The Issan area of Thailand is full of houses bought by foreign 'water buffalos' but who are no longer even welcome on the premises.

Several Asian countries have at least some property approved for freehold foreign ownership (you own it forever). The Philippines has special gated communities and urban condos designated for foreign ownership. Thailand also has many approved urban condos and has loopholes for buying land (via setting-up a corporation majority owned by dummy local shareholders and controlling it with a nominal 49% stake). I know a foreigner who bought land in Pattaya several years ago with no problem so far but personally, I believe its risky. I also suspect its completely legal for foreigners to buy property in Hong Kong and Singapore but you'll need rich man money for that.
globetrotter
Experienced Poster

Post by globetrotter »

yatterman1 wrote:

-Lease? Yes. Put it in your name.
-Restrictions? No one cares what modifications you make to your house in SE Asia. Permits? No one needs them.
-Is there a chance the government can force you to move? Yes. Just get another place for cheap or move to the rural areas where no one wants to develop your house into a hi-rise.
-Yearly Fees? That's USA thinking. In most of the world once you sign a lease or own a condo or apartment or own a house and the land, it is yours. Period. There are no fees although in China the government can force you to move on short notice.
-Taxes for real estate in most of the world are minuscule, so small as to be not worth mentioning. Think $30 a year.
yatterman1
Freshman Poster

Post by yatterman1 »

globetrotter wrote:
yatterman1 wrote:

-Lease? Yes. Put it in your name.
-Restrictions? No one cares what modifications you make to your house in SE Asia. Permits? No one needs them.
-Is there a chance the government can force you to move? Yes. Just get another place for cheap or move to the rural areas where no one wants to develop your house into a hi-rise.
-Yearly Fees? That's USA thinking. In most of the world once you sign a lease or own a condo or apartment or own a house and the land, it is yours. Period. There are no fees although in China the government can force you to move on short notice.
-Taxes for real estate in most of the world are minuscule, so small as to be not worth mentioning. Think $30 a year.
So is China the only country that forces people to move on short notice? Like what are the odds that say...the philippines would force me to move?
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

I think if you get a Philippine retiree visa, you are allowed to own some land in your name. Also keep in mind that while you may not be able to own land as a non citizen in other countries, you may own condominium units which are not considered land.
I personally do not think it is a good idea to buy RE in unstable 3d world countries unless you are married and have a kid who will inherit it and are pretty much settled into a monogamous, stable family life and want your family to have a good future. If you have a kid with a local or two, it pretty much cements you with her.
If you are a non married/marrying type, why not rent? You can rent a huge house for next to nothing and then just move out if you get sick and tired of the place. Why not be mobile? And if you want to buy land, buy some in your country.
Last edited by ladislav on June 10th, 2010, 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

yatterman1 wrote:
globetrotter wrote:
So is China the only country that forces people to move on short notice? Like what are the odds that say...the philippines would force me to move?
Yatterman, if you seriously want to research this issue, go try http://www.internationalsexguide.info . Visit the sections for each country, go the "Living in..." threads, and ask the guys on there. Some of them are real long term expats and have a lot of valuable local info.

Ditto for teaching under the table in Taiwan. My friend sent me an email but ignored that question so I assume he does not want to share. However, the Taiwan section on that forum is one of its weakest. But Forumosa (Taiwan specific forum) might be a decent alternative. Let me know what you find out.
globetrotter
Experienced Poster

Post by globetrotter »

It is very obvious from posts who is an expat and who is not.

Those still in the USA are run by fear and ask question after question designed to allay their fears, fears that have all been instilled by the BS MSM.

Then when we answer their questions, do they feel safe to expat? Of course not, no. They come up with new fears to be afraid of and ask questions about THOSE topics, too. This can continue for a decade or more on MRA fora -- I have seen it myself.

Here is the plan:

1) Sell everything
2) Buy a plane ticket
3) Move/expat

Action is all. This incessant talk just pisses me off, and I am not rich nor some genius. If I can do this anyone on this forum list can. This takes 6 months. Anything else is just an excuse.
Nate
Freshman Poster

Post by Nate »

globetrotter wrote:It is very obvious from posts who is an expat and who is not.

Those still in the USA are run by fear and ask question after question designed to allay their fears, fears that have all been instilled by the BS MSM.

Then when we answer their questions, do they feel safe to expat? Of course not, no. They come up with new fears to be afraid of and ask questions about THOSE topics, too. This can continue for a decade or more on MRA fora -- I have seen it myself.

Here is the plan:

1) Sell everything
2) Buy a plane ticket
3) Move/expat

Action is all. This incessant talk just pisses me off, and I am not rich nor some genius. If I can do this anyone on this forum list can. This takes 6 months. Anything else is just an excuse.

It ends up being unending monkey spanking. You have touched on the main point- most men are stuck in a rut.
No matter how awful and filled with soul death that rut may be, most men have such a vested interest in their own
BS. It is a fear about changing life. Courage is the most valuable commodity.

There is endless speculation, theoretical preparations, and irrelevant questions.

Do you want to die alone in the social vacuum that the USA has become? Act as if your life is at stake, BECAUSE IT IS! You cannot do this remotely. Build your plan and at some point you have to got to the edge and jump. If you are not desperate to escape, it will not likely work.

Of 100 men who talk about going overseas, perhaps only 10 will actually do it. This is amazing on one hand. In the USA I might meet a man in his mid-fifties, early retired and back to work 20 hours a week at Home Depot. Single, grown children...living in a condo by himself. He gets up to an empty place, commiserates with his few friends, and pretty well assumes his social life is over. Essentially he is just waiting to die, as there are few other options for him it seems.

>>>Or then again (and I will use my town in the Philippines as an example) he could be living in the Philippines on less than what his social security will be, a decent 2 bedroom apartment, very cheap living, a housekeeper (almost free)
and all the female company that he might desire. In addition, if he might wish, he can give some time to any number of good opportunities to make a difference in the lives of some poor children.

I know one man in Bohol who married a pretty single mom of about 25. He has made her life good, and taken the boy as his own. She treats him well and will be with him till he passes away- he knows that. He has made sure she will get his social security when he dies. He is active and happy it seems. He has a life. Or then again, he could be that guy working back at Home Depot....
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

Definitely leave now, if you have about $10,000 in savings to life off of until you can secure something in your country of choice. Also decent relatives who will let you move in with them back home in case SHTF. Dont get caught out there with no working visa and no means to make a living. That would be hell. Yohan on NiceGuy talks about this every so often. The men in Thailand who spend recklessly all of their money, then take swan dives from the balconies rather than trying to go home and start over.

That's why I find all this "sell everything you have" stuff to be impractical. It is nice if you already have about $50,000 saved up. If you do not, better to secure the money or job in the foreign country first. Then expat. Not before.

With the direction the world is taking now (USA crumbling), I dont know how valuable teaching English will be, if Americans arent rich enough to do business with the rest of the world.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

The men in Thailand who spend recklessly all of their money, then take swan dives from the balconies rather than trying to go home and start over.
Been there, spent money recklessly or not so recklessly because salaries there are not that high. Invested in a scam. My saving grace was my good credit and credit cards. I was able to leave Thailand and go back to the US by charging my ticket on one of the cards. Other guys took swan dives. Then I went to Saudi and paid back the credit card debt. American Express will repatriate you. Then you can make repayment plans with them. Other cards can have up to 18 month grace periods and low interest repayment plans. Or you can declare bankruptcy. Not a good thing to do but beats suicide. Or you can get on one of those CCCC programs and after 7 years in Dubai and the Philippines go back to the US with a clean slate.

If you have hard time getting cash, develop good credit and have plenty of it for emergencies or when establishing yourself with a new job in a new place. Then, you can worry later about how to repay it. Credit helped me to get through my first months in Japan, too. And now, when I was going to Ukraine and when my bank blocked my ATM card in the Philippines, I used my visa credit cards to get cash advances to tide me over my trip. Yes, it cost me some 10% more, so what? I was still able to go through with my plans. That is why I have 11 credit cards all paid in full and on time and in good standing. When I need money in an emergency, they are there for me. If you use them wisely, you can do all kinds of things with them.

I used cash, credit and work to get through college. I also used cash credit and income from jobs to live in other countries. If you do it all strategically, leverage credit wisely, use cash wisely, it can all help you.
That's why I find all this "sell everything you have" stuff to be impractical. It is nice if you already have about $50,000 saved up. If you do not, better to secure the money or job in the foreign country first. Then expat. Not before.
Not practical. But quilting your world with the US still being a rather stable citizenship base, a place to get credit and have some property and debit cards, and have addresses and DLs from is a good idea. Then you add Saudi money and Asian playgrounds to it.
With the direction the world is taking now (USA crumbling), I dont know how valuable teaching English will be, if Americans arent rich enough to do business with the rest of the world.
English is firmly entrenched as the lingua franca of the world. Britain, Oz , Canada and the UK are great educational destinations. Millions of students need to study for IELTS which is replacing TOEFL as the most popular test. Also, English is no longer a language to communicate with Gringos, but for the Japanese to talk with Koreans, for Mexicans to talk with Germans, for Russians to talk with Iranians.
globetrotter
Experienced Poster

Post by globetrotter »

@Lasdislav:

WHAT is 'CCCC'? Never heard of it.

------------

Even if ALL of the Anglo-World crumbles, there needs to be an L2, or second language, for bi-lingual, global business.

English is just as good as French or Portuguese or Latin or Chinese...but it has a huge headstart.

Having that 'natural accent' and the right passport still lands jobs that pay 3X to 8X local salaries.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

@Lasdislav:

WHAT is 'CCCC'? Never heard of it.
Consumer credit counceling and there is another c that stands for? I forgot. But maybe it is just three C's? It is when you are in debt, you contact these guys and they make a budget for you and then you repay it little by little.

------------
Even if ALL of the Anglo-World crumbles, there needs to be an L2, or second language, for bi-lingual, global business.

English is just as good as French or Portuguese or Latin or Chinese...but it has a huge headstart.

Having that 'natural accent' and the right passport still lands jobs that pay 3X to 8X local salaries.
Precisely!
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: What asian countries allow foreigners to own land?

Post by momopi »

yatterman1 wrote:Are there any?
http://www.doingbusinessthailand.com/th ... -asia.html
http://www.chinapost.com.tw/business/as ... proves.htm
http://www.business-in-asia.com/news/la ... _asia.html

Some years ago, I was at Taipei airport and meet an older gentlemen who was traveling from Cambodia. He said that he had been previously married twice and just got married to a 25 year old Cambodian girl, bought some land and built a house for $5,000 USD (in her name). He said, if he were to get divoced again, he'd only lose $5,000. LoL.